Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Rappaport posted:

Isn't Colbert the most watched late show host (by some metric)? He's not Anderson Cooper, but he's probably a pretty safe avenue to appeal to younger people (relative to Biden's own age at least). And the Colbert interview with uncle Joe about grief probably did help cement his image quite a bit as a relatable, genuine figure to the casual viewer.

Supposedly Colbert has been the most-watched late show for basically the whole Trump administration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

yeah he leapfrogged fallon in the ratings after jimmy was by far the most toothless of the late night hosts. weird how fallon/corden and colbert/myers have more similar shows but they split the channels they're on

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Oracle posted:

Uh, hi, as a parent of two remote learners doing everything possible to make this work because I will be good and goddamned my kids are going to school in person while there's a pandemic raging, you're an rear end in a top hat. Kids do not have either the self-control to keep themselves from screwing around online instead of paying attention to class or the self-motivation to get the MOUNDS of homework assigned every day that's supposed to be completed during 'independent learning' without nigh-constant supervision. And that's teenagers, not even grade schoolers, who are way worse. And as someone who's spent entire days in online conferences it is soul sucking to sit and listen to other people talk hour after hour with short breaks in between as a full grown adult, it SUCKS as a method of learning anything. College kids are struggling with online learning, and that has nothing to do with daycare. It is far from optimal for anyone as a main source of education.

I say this only because it's not always obvious to me when I do it: this reads as incredibly hostile. Also a little bit like that TX bridesmaid who was all "but this is her wedding" to the wedding photographer who walked out because she had kids and they'd hidden that the groom had covid (the wedding photographer got covid).

It also isn't backed by anything at all except your own statement / anecdote, and isn't in anyway my lived experience(which aligns more closely with the experts in the thread). As a parent of grade schoolers, my kids are definitely learning, and while there's an extra burden in terms of monitoring them and keeping them on-task if we want them to do well, I don't know that this is any higher than before.

The distractions and them going off task and stuff are more visible to us, sure, but eh the alternative was ordering some number of teachers and kids to die. That's certainly something you could use a utilitarian calculus to justify, but where *doesn't* that apply? Take a long enough view and you can kill as many people as you want for the greater good.

Anyway, that was my college online experience the last time I took a class(when I was employed by the university and this was like basically free), but that has more to do with nobody taking distance learning terribly seriously and just sitting an adjunct down in front of blackboard and saying go, teach, and cashing the checks. Even this wasn't without merit, it was just kinda insulting to take a discrete refresher and get a half-assed khan academy retread where the professor posted 1 obviously pre-canned discussion question a week - it felt like paying just for the course credit(and it was basically free). The async nature was loving aces though.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
I'm teaching macroeconomics to 2nd-year university students online this year, and I'm actually finding that things are going better than they usually do when I teach in person. It's a lot more work for me; recording lectures is more time-consuming than giving in-person lectures, I've had to design a much more serious course website, have weekly quizzes to provide incentives to keep up with the material, etc. But when I talk to my students live via Zoom (I run live Q&A sessions in addition to recorded lectures) I get the sense that they are learning really effectively. And for some reason they are a lot more willing to engage with me and each other virtually than in-person, so I'm getting more (and higher-quality) interaction than I normally do.

As bad as this situation is for younger students (and their teachers, god I feel bad for people trying to teach little kids), I think higher ed is going to come away from this situation with some permanent improvements to how we do things.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Oakland Martini posted:

I'm teaching macroeconomics to 2nd-year university students online this year, and I'm actually finding that things are going better than they usually do when I teach in person. It's a lot more work for me; recording lectures is more time-consuming than giving in-person lectures, I've had to design a much more serious course website, have weekly quizzes to provide incentives to keep up with the material, etc. But when I talk to my students live via Zoom (I run live Q&A sessions in addition to recorded lectures) I get the sense that they are learning really effectively. And for some reason they are a lot more willing to engage with me and each other virtually than in-person, so I'm getting more (and higher-quality) interaction than I normally do.

As bad as this situation is for younger students (and their teachers, god I feel bad for people trying to teach little kids), I think higher ed is going to come away from this situation with some permanent improvements to how we do things.

I've seen multiple teachers say stuff like this and it really makes me wonder how much of the change is inherent to remote learning and now much is that rebuilding your entire methodology from the ground up produces different strategies than when someone gradually accumulates a methodology starting in their student teacher days. If someone were to somehow identify the key elements of the methods of the best in-person teachers with those of the best remote teachers, would they match? If not, would combining them produce an edugestalt or a disaster? If so, are the best of each group the same people, or do the best in person teachers break what works, etc?

One of the many personality traits that disqualifies me for positions of serious power is that I'd love to run huge, highly unethical social experiments to try to isolate some of the factors involved in big complex things like education, much more than I'd like to read through existing literature. :v:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Oakland Martini posted:

https://twitch.tv/profmelko

this guy holds his office hours and does lectures on twitch so i jump in every once in awhile to learn about photons or w/e. been going over a year so it was pre-covid

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Buffer posted:

I say this only because it's not always obvious to me when I do it: this reads as incredibly hostile.

They were responding to someone being needlessly hostile, to be fair.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it seems like many people involved in the educational system at different points are becoming equally frazzled and maybe that energy might be better spent directed upward

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Sarcastro posted:

Sure. If I came off as hostile myself I'm really sorry for that - I get where everyone is coming from here: for parents we have skin in the game with our kids. For teachers its their lives. poo poo is intensely personal to all sides and can correspondingly get heated.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Sarcastro posted:

Lol. Yeah, I was being super hostile to people nobody on this forum will ever meet, which somehow justified an attack on my character that ended with ME eating a probe when I responded. Clearly the entire exchange was my fault. I'll make sure not to communicate any experiences or opinions which might even theoretically be taken as an insult-by-proxy by some poor suffering parent again, lesson loving learned. As if I dont have to coddle and disemble enough with the ones I have to deal with in real life.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Buffer posted:

I say this only because it's not always obvious to me when I do it: this reads as incredibly hostile. Also a little bit like that TX bridesmaid who was all "but this is her wedding" to the wedding photographer who walked out because she had kids and they'd hidden that the groom had covid (the wedding photographer got covid).
I'm seeing this from several people and apparently the part where I emphasize that I am NOT INTERESTED IN IN PERSON LEARNING AND TOTALLY SUPPORT NOT FORCING TEACHERS BACK INTO THE CLASSROOM is getting missed in the urge to pile on to my saying remote learning sucks, so I'll put it in all caps, again, for those in the back:

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SENDING MY KIDS IN PERSON WITH OTHER KIDS IN A CLASSROOM AND PUTTING TEACHERS AND STAFF AT RISK. AT ALL. UNTIL EVERYONE INVOLVED IS VACCINATED THAT POSSIBLY CAN BE. My kids have been remote learning since March. We have never left stage 3 personally. They will not go back into a classroom until local cases are at 0 for 14 days or everyone in school who can be has been vaccinated.

Now that we've cleared that up:

It doesn't change the fact that by and large, online learning has SUUUUUCKED. My kids have to take online gym class. Its a required class to graduate. Its incredibly stupid to try and do online gym class, especially when cameras are not required to be on (which, again, not Karening here, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY, so again, don't jump down my throat) but for God's sake, how about we push that requirement off a year and let them do it at a time when its feasible to do it in person? Because logging that you did X amount of minutes of exercise a week is an exercise alright -- an exercise in lying for the kids who aren't active. I work from home. I am working while at home. I do not have the time or the desire to stand over my kid with a whistle and a clipboard to make sure they're doing ten jumping jacks. That's just one example.

quote:

It also isn't backed by anything at all except your own statement / anecdote, and isn't in anyway my lived experience(which aligns more closely with the experts in the thread). As a parent of grade schoolers, my kids are definitely learning, and while there's an extra burden in terms of monitoring them and keeping them on-task if we want them to do well, I don't know that this is any higher than before.
Then you are in a distinct minority, because Here, have some data to go with my 'anecdote.'

quote:

After the U.S. education system fractured into Zoom screens last spring, experts feared millions of children would fall behind. Hard evidence now shows they were right.

A flood of new data — on the national, state and district levels — finds students began this academic year behind. Most of the research concludes students of color and those in high-poverty communities fell further behind their peers, exacerbating long-standing gaps in American education.

A study released this week by McKinsey & Co. estimates that the shift to remote school in the spring set White students back by one to three months in math, while students of color lost three to five months. As the coronavirus pandemic persists through this academic year, McKinsey said, losses will escalate.

“I think we should be very concerned about the risk of a lost generation of students,” said former education secretary John B. King Jr., who is now president of Education Trust, an advocacy and research group focused on equity issues.

The McKinsey study echoes a half dozen other national reports released in recent days. They all find that students regressed because of lost classroom time in the spring, particularly in math, though the reports vary in degree of the losses and in disparities among student groups.

Separately, data released by multiple school districts show a sharp increase in failing grades this fall, particularly for the most vulnerable students.

quote:

The distractions and them going off task and stuff are more visible to us, sure, but eh the alternative was ordering some number of teachers and kids to die. That's certainly something you could use a utilitarian calculus to justify, but where *doesn't* that apply? Take a long enough view and you can kill as many people as you want for the greater good.
One more time: just because I dislike online learning, doesn't mean I am advocating for 'ordering some number of teachers and kids to die.' Outdoor learning was one alternative, came with its own risks and headaches (and before you bitch about weather yeah, I live in a place that actually has weather. Kids won't melt. Coats and canopies are cheaper than ipads and chromebooks). Our government not being run by a bunch of idiots was another but hey water under the bridge.

You can dislike the poo poo out of something and still understand that its necessary, but pooh poohing concerns with online learning because 'parents just hate being around their kids' or 'parents are just lazy and want babysitters' in one breath then going 'classroom management is a skill' and 'teachers aren't babysitters and are skilled professionals and should be treated like one' in the other is kind of contradictory, no? Teaching is loving HARD. Controlling a bunch of easily distracted kids attention is HARD, and even harder when you cannot take screens away as screens are what they are learning on. Making sure kids are not only doing work but doing it correctly, figuring out where they went wrong and then making sure they actually understand is HARD. This is why we need teachers in the first place. A lot of that has been put on parents who are in a lot of cases also trying to hold down full time jobs during a pandemic if they're lucky enough to still be employed. If you're extra lucky you're able to work from home while you do it. Add to that the fact that, as many others have pointed out, online learning was an afterthought at best for the majority of school districts, it ALSO takes skill that not a lot of teachers have for some reason (and makes the ones that are tech savvy really stand out) and things are really not great this year in the vast majority of classes.

quote:

Anyway, that was my college online experience the last time I took a class(when I was employed by the university and this was like basically free), but that has more to do with nobody taking distance learning terribly seriously and just sitting an adjunct down in front of blackboard and saying go, teach, and cashing the checks. Even this wasn't without merit, it was just kinda insulting to take a discrete refresher and get a half-assed khan academy retread where the professor posted 1 obviously pre-canned discussion question a week - it felt like paying just for the course credit(and it was basically free). The async nature was loving aces though.
Async is great. Async is also not going on at the K-12 level in my experience. Attendance is taken and mandatory at the times the classes are scheduled, and every teacher does it differently. Some will mark kids absent if they show up five minutes late. Some will let kids into class late, some will not. Some require the student to post a comment or type the word 'here' in chat, some don't. Some start class late to allow for attendance/technical issues, some don't. The kids only have class five hours a day then are expected to do 'independent learning' for the rest of the time they would normally be in school. There was some metric for having to do 30 minutes of homework a day. Teachers apparently took that as meaning 30 minutes of homework a day PER CLASS. These kids have 7 classes. That's about three and a half hours of homework a night. After spending five hours online with five minute breaks between classes and a half hour lunch period.

Sanguinia posted:

Lol. Yeah, I was being super hostile to people nobody on this forum will ever meet, which somehow justified an attack on my character that ended with ME eating a probe when I responded. Clearly the entire exchange was my fault. I'll make sure not to communicate any experiences or opinions which might even theoretically be taken as an insult-by-proxy by some poor suffering parent again, lesson loving learned. As if I dont have to coddle and disemble enough with the ones I have to deal with in real life.
People on this forum are still people regardless of whether or not you ever meet them in real life, with real struggles and real issues, just like you. And in a time when pretty much all interaction is online its a lot more important to keep that in mind. I'm sorry your in-person parents are apparently all total sociopathic dicks with no regard for your well being. I'm sorry you ate a probe. I'm even sorry I called you an rear end in a top hat, though swinging from downplaying being hostile to 'people you'll never meet' to treating being called an rear end in a top hat as an 'attack on your character' kind of smacks of a double standard. We're all of suffering from this, we're all feeling pretty goddamn fed up with the insanity of our fellow human beings that are making this drag on so much longer than it needs to in the United States and elsewhere, we've all got cabin fever and we're all stressed the hell out.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 19, 2020

Buffer
May 6, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

I took a while off posting after getting a deserved probe for saying something p. hosed up because I was at like a 9/10 all the time from life/every community I'm in fraying and reacted my way into it, so, I feel you, I do, and you can produce some great posts and I hope you stay, but the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere good from the post you got probed for. Equating Oracle with "All Lives Matter" and the corresponding "you're basically equivalent to a racist" that means was hosed up beyond that when they didn't even really disagree with you on much but tone. Hell I reread my post and I feel I line stepped up to that maybe a little too much with the whole utilitarian part - given you know, Oracle explicitly agreed with that.

Oracle posted:

I'm seeing this from several people and apparently the part where I emphasize that I am NOT INTERESTED IN IN PERSON LEARNING AND TOTALLY SUPPORT NOT FORCING TEACHERS BACK INTO THE CLASSROOM is getting missed in the urge to pile on to my saying remote learning sucks, so I'll put it in all caps, again, for those in the back:

I AM NOT INTERESTED IN SENDING MY KIDS IN PERSON WITH OTHER KIDS IN A CLASSROOM AND PUTTING TEACHERS AND STAFF AT RISK. AT ALL. UNTIL EVERYONE INVOLVED IS VACCINATED THAT POSSIBLY CAN BE. My kids have been remote learning since March. We have never left stage 3 personally. They will not go back into a classroom until local cases are at 0 for 14 days or everyone in school who can be has been vaccinated.

Yea, I'm sorry for that. I realized I had implied that after reading sanguina's thing, had a whole thing typed up that *at worst* we were all in violent agreement about 80-90% of this(pieces of this left above) and then didn't post it. Should've re-read more. :smith:

Oracle posted:

It doesn't change the fact that by and large, online learning has SUUUUUCKED. My kids have to take online gym class. Its a required class to graduate. Its incredibly stupid to try and do online gym class, especially when cameras are not required to be on (which, again, not Karening here, TOTALLY UNDERSTAND WHY, so again, don't jump down my throat) but for God's sake, how about we push that requirement off a year and let them do it at a time when its feasible to do it in person? Because logging that you did X amount of minutes of exercise a week is an exercise alright -- an exercise in lying for the kids who aren't active. I work from home. I am working while at home. I do not have the time or the desire to stand over my kid with a whistle and a clipboard to make sure they're doing ten jumping jacks. That's just one example.

See there's just this huge regional variance here. Like where I am, they went remote in spring, it was in no way actually prepared for and was a shitshow - just all kinds of rank stupid like you describe here. The teachers union said remote only in the summer and they actually prepared for it and then fall was a little rocky, but now it really does feel like school. They do gym cameras on, on a yoga mat. It's not ideal for everything but it mostly works.

My siblings, OTOH scattered across this demon cracker nation, see it as a shitshow every time they go remote. They've only seen the spring version. What you describe is this.

Oracle posted:

Then you are in a distinct minority, because Here, have some data to go with my 'anecdote.'

That's not data or even really an actual source in support of remote learning itself as inherently flawed or like even worse, really. I don't doubt that outcomes overall are down - poo poo is hosed and a lot of our already existing educational problems like available parent attention, digital divide, etc. are exacerbated by all kinds of things in the pandemic.

Not to mention the social / development aspect from kids not seeing other kids. Like I'm not saying this is good - I'm saying you and others seem to be making a wider claim that remote learning has to suck that just flat out isn't backed up by anything but the fact that we currently suck at it in a lot of places.

Like I don't disagree that it sucks in a lot of places, so this might just be more violent agreement and talking past each other.

Oracle posted:

One more time: just because I dislike online learning, doesn't mean I am advocating for 'ordering some number of teachers and kids to die.' Outdoor learning was one alternative, came with its own risks and headaches (and before you bitch about weather yeah, I live in a place that actually has weather. Kids won't melt. Coats and canopies are cheaper than ipads and chromebooks). Our government not being run by a bunch of idiots was another but hey water under the bridge.

I'm going to apologize to you again for this, because it obviously upset you and you didn't deserve that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-record-breaking-number-of-women-will-be-in-bidens-cabinet/

Nate is also looking at gender representation in the Cabinet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Buffer posted:

Yea, I'm sorry for that. I realized I had implied that after reading sanguina's thing, had a whole thing typed up that *at worst* we were all in violent agreement about 80-90% of this(pieces of this left above) and then didn't post it. Should've re-read more. :smith:
Yeah I've tried to reply a few times but thread moving and lack of time have killed like three attempts. I feel you.

quote:

See there's just this huge regional variance here. Like where I am, they went remote in spring, it was in no way actually prepared for and was a shitshow - just all kinds of rank stupid like you describe here. The teachers union said remote only in the summer and they actually prepared for it and then fall was a little rocky, but now it really does feel like school. They do gym cameras on, on a yoga mat. It's not ideal for everything but it mostly works.

My siblings, OTOH scattered across this demon cracker nation, see it as a shitshow every time they go remote. They've only seen the spring version. What you describe is this.
They had time to prepare here over summer too, it just feels like noone did a drat thing while the board hemmed and hawed and maintained radio silence. Man, if this has taught anyone ANYTHING, if there is one thing to take away from this pandemic, if you get covid brain damamge and forget everything else, please for the love of GOD remember: LOCAL. ELECTIONS. MATTER. Our health dept is headed by an amazing human being who has gone above and beyond and done great. Our school board... not so much.

quote:

That's not data or even really an actual source in support of remote learning itself as inherently flawed or like even worse, really. I don't doubt that outcomes overall are down - poo poo is hosed and a lot of our already existing educational problems like available parent attention, digital divide, etc. are exacerbated by all kinds of things in the pandemic.

Not to mention the social / development aspect from kids not seeing other kids. Like I'm not saying this is good - I'm saying you and others seem to be making a wider claim that remote learning has to suck that just flat out isn't backed up by anything but the fact that we currently suck at it in a lot of places.

Like I don't disagree that it sucks in a lot of places, so this might just be more violent agreement and talking past each other.
Online learning has potential but a) in America with schools having to hold bake sales for basic needs and requiring parents to bring in supplies for the year like pencils and tissues, its almost guaranteed to exacerbate inequality based on income and give you mostly crappy outcomes except in places with either amazingly tech savvy teachers and school district employees or a shitton of money and the will to throw it at this particular problem, and usually both. The districts with the kind of money to throw at the problem already have students that have their own computers at home and high speed internet and two parent high earning income households and etc. The ones that don't... don't. And as we've seen, the high earning suburbs are some of the shittiest at wanting kids in person no questions asked MAGA hoax blah blah (I'm looking at you, Chicago collar counties).

quote:

I'm going to apologize to you again for this, because it obviously upset you and you didn't deserve that.
Thank you, I appreciate it. Like I (and you, and a few other people) have said, everyone's just loving Done(tm) right now, the holidays aren't helping, and idiots keep on idioting. I absolutely dread Christmas and New Year's at this point, its almost worse than not having a break because of what's going to happen, we all know is going to happen, and yet we're all powerless to stop.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

I hope Bootleg Trunks doesn't mind me sharing this post from the dedicated Georgia runoff thread. I thought it was worth posting here too since it's a poll.

quote:

Those prioritizing the economy are breaking for the Republican incumbents, while the Democratic challengers are leading with voters who see the coronavirus, health care and social justice as more important.

The Emerson College survey polled 605 people Dec. 14-16. It has a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And that article is already obsolete! Biden has no also picked Haaland for Interior. Woohoo! If confirmed, she will be the first Native American cabinet member. Unless you include the vice president, because technically there was a Native American vice president.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gabriel S. posted:

Social media has ruined our faith in fellow man. The media glosses over nuance for clickbait. We believe we have all the answers to the worlds problems because we watched a few YouTube Videos instead of having an actual dialogue we instead scream at each other.

That's true. One issue that both texting and social media share is the human inability to recognize instinctively that they're communicating with another human. Empathy occurs way more naturally in person or during phone conversations.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Eric Cantonese posted:

I hope Bootleg Trunks doesn't mind me sharing this post from the dedicated Georgia runoff thread. I thought it was worth posting here too since it's a poll.

It continues to astound me that anyone still thinks Republicans are good for the economy (other than very rich people, whose economy Republicans are definitely very good for).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's actually because a lot of people believe that the world is a zero sum game, so if the poor are suffering, it immediately frees up happiness for other people. Like if you take a poor person and you wring the life out of their body, more life is suddenly floating around. It's not correct. It's so not correct that flies in the face of why humanity was a successful species, which is it's very strong social capabilities.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Sarcastro posted:

It continues to astound me that anyone still thinks Republicans are good for the economy (other than very rich people, whose economy Republicans are definitely very good for).

There's a significant number of people for whom "better for the economy" translates directly to lower/fewer taxes and nothing else.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I want to note that Biden's assertions about reopening schools is predicated on a massive outlay of federal funds to render schools safe, on top of the other two parts of the response platform. It's not actually just "open schools".

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

whydirt posted:

There's a significant number of people for whom "better for the economy" translates directly to lower/fewer taxes and nothing else.

That, and it would make sense if the reason Republicans win voters who name the economy as the most important issue is that Democratic voters don't name the economy as the most important issue. It doesn't necessarily tell you that voters overall think Republicans are better at handling the economy by a wide margin.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's the Colbert interview, it's in a few parts for some reason?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e37WQ7VMbKI

I think it was a good move for Biden, I think it was a bit more of the approachable and kindly side he's going for.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Sarcastro posted:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I know plenty of people, well-off, but not absurdly wealthy, for whom the stock market is LITERALLY THE ONLY political issue they care about, or can perceive anyone caring about.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I am convinced that it goes no deeper than "rich = good at economy" and that explains Trump's high marks on the economy despite the fact that his policies, like tariffs, were demonstrably bad for growth. Also, Republicans are "supposed" to be good for the economy so when people get asked that question in surveys instead of looking dumb and saying, iunno why I support the GOP, they say "They are good at the economy, and businesses."

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Well there's also the $1200 checks. It's kinda funny how at the time everyone was very mad at Pelosi for not doing a deal based on a cynical calculation that doing one would help Trump but it seems pretty clear now if they had passed a deal in like September, Trump would have won.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Badger of Basra posted:

Well there's also the $1200 checks. It's kinda funny how at the time everyone was very mad at Pelosi for not doing a deal based on a cynical calculation that doing one would help Trump but it seems pretty clear now if they had passed a deal in like September, Trump would have won.

Yeah, to be honest, the best thing for the Democratic electoral odds would have been to never come to the table at all and let America get as turbofucked as Trump would have let it get.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Pick posted:

Yeah, to be honest, the best thing for the Democratic electoral odds would have been to never come to the table at all and let America get as turbofucked as Trump would have let it get.

Ahh, the Republican way. It was very odd that McConnell was clearly in favor of Trump losing. Otherwise he would have made a new deal happen, any new deal, just to get checks into people's hands in October.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Ahh, the Republican way. It was very odd that McConnell was clearly in favor of Trump losing. Otherwise he would have made a new deal happen, any new deal, just to get checks into people's hands in October.

I think he thought it was too far gone. Those lovely polls saved our asses.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

It's still unclear to me that there was a deal to be made. Trump had to use the bully pulpit to call out the senators in the republican caucus that were opposed to all but the most favorable deals to give McConnell cover. Otherwise in 2022 McConnell would have had to deal with a bunch of primary challengers to his senators from the right, running on "look at these RINOs spending money on the underserving minorities and layabouts and bailing out corporations."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

During the negotiations, I remember hearing that as many as 20 GOP Senators were, on principle, opposed to any further aid, period. I think if McConnell had the votes he would've passed it. But remember Republican ideology for the last 40 years has been to drown government in the bathtub and an aid package that's actually as large and robust as necessary could be the end of Reaganomics, and there are plenty of GOP senators who honestly believe that it's better for people to suffer and die than expand the welfare state.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

During the negotiations, I remember hearing that as many as 20 GOP Senators were, on principle, opposed to any further aid, period. I think if McConnell had the votes he would've passed it. But remember Republican ideology for the last 40 years has been to drown government in the bathtub and an aid package that's actually as large and robust as necessary could be the end of Reaganomics, and there are plenty of GOP senators who honestly believe that it's better for people to suffer and die than expand the welfare state.

I don't think for them it's an either/or. Feature, not a bug.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1339978522333425665

Wow the deficit is back folks, and Trump's not even gone yet. Yesterday, there was reporting that Trump's aides had to basically beg him not to go public with a demand for 2k stimulus checks, which would've blown the negotiations to smithereens. Also, I trust we don't need to state the obvious about the trillions in tax cuts the Senator from Wisconsin voted in favor of.

The conflation of sovereign and household debt in the minds of the average American voter is the greatest coup the right ever pulled.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

letthereberock posted:

I’ve mentioned it before, but I know plenty of people, well-off, but not absurdly wealthy, for whom the stock market is LITERALLY THE ONLY political issue they care about, or can perceive anyone caring about.

Don't get me wrong; I know people like that too, or at least I did back when I still talked to them. That kind of disconnect is why I increasingly think that a fundamental difference between conservatives and actual people is the capacity for empathy, or at least non-sociopathy.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

rich people voting GOP is even then a short-sighted move because the things that are a danger to you beyond a certain net worth are nearly beyond your control. investing in a society where you don't get randomly stabbed by a hungry poor dude is a better one for rich people too. but that's too hard, so they spend even more money on gated communities and private security and pass drug laws and minimum sentencing and it all ends up way worse than had they not had money in the first place

warren buffett being afraid of torches and pitchforks make him a better person. more people should be scared!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/StevenTDennis/status/1339978522333425665

Wow the deficit is back folks, and Trump's not even gone yet. Yesterday, there was reporting that Trump's aides had to basically beg him not to go public with a demand for 2k stimulus checks, which would've blown the negotiations to smithereens. Also, I trust we don't need to state the obvious about the trillions in tax cuts the Senator from Wisconsin voted in favor of.

The conflation of sovereign and household debt in the minds of the average American voter is the greatest coup the right ever pulled.
Now do you understand why so many democrats are eager to kick the midwest and south out of the union?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Grouchio posted:

Now do you understand why so many democrats are eager to kick the midwest and south out of the union?

can you name any

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

i say swears online posted:

can you name any
I cannot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amy Siskind but she got dragged so bad for it she deleted the tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

Grouchio posted:

i'll go tell stacey abrams that since she's in the south she can go die with the rest of us southern leftists then