Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.

Xun posted:

What happened with EQNext? I remember a big huge deal about some sort of voxel building system and then....nothing?

The guy who developed the voxel tech for it stopped working on it. No updates to the engine meant no updates could be made by Daybreak.
Plus they just couldn't get EQNext to work. It was half the system for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Xun posted:

What happened with EQNext? I remember a big huge deal about some sort of voxel building system and then....nothing?

They gave up and continued with EQ landmark, which released as just Landmark without any association with EQ, then dropped the servers a year later.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Shoutout Frog Act on first page who mentioned EQOA (Everquest Online Adventures for PS2), which was my first MMO experience. My two friends from SOCOM1 were the first to hit max level in the game, Remedy the cleric & Intangible the rogue I believe, on Castle Lightwolf server. Real absurd poopsock poo poo. They it max level and there was no content because the devs didn't think anybody would hit it for another month at least. I think they also talked the devs into making what would become the most sought after item (Ceremonial Vestments robe) wearable. When people mention nostalgia for their first MMO, which majority of the time is regular EQ, that will always be the game for me. Training mobs onto people from croc island just outside Freeport as a 14 year old, simpler times. Early experiences of what would be a repeating trend in my life of generosity or trust betrayed, another 'friend' from SOCOM who lent me his account changed the password as I was close to max level after PLing his bard about 20 levels. Or real life friend that changed password on rogue we shared at one point. Muhfuckers can't have nothing.

knox fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Dec 16, 2020

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
There's an EQOA emulator slowly moving along. That'd be fun to play some time.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

cmdrk posted:

There's an EQOA emulator slowly moving along. That'd be fun to play some time.

I have been keeping my eye on this for a very long time now. People are slowly reconstructing all of the quests and mob locations back to where they were originally.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Is there a MMO with Raytracing? I believe Ray tracing will save the industry

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

BabyFur Denny posted:

Is there a MMO with Raytracing? I believe Ray tracing will save the industry

WoW has ray tracing.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It just has raytracing shadows, it's a subtle improvement and probably not at all worth the gigantic frame rate hit it causes.

SabinBlitz
May 19, 2015

Firm believer that muscles conquers all

I said come in! posted:

I guess we'll know more on December 17 when it launches. It looks interesting, but the graphics are really rough and that doesn't leave a good first impression. This genre is difficult to sell people on because Eve-Online has this type of MMO locked down.

Already on sale for $7.19 from $9.99. They released a few dev videos on their YouTube. Looks super, super barebones and a scam.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Community Hub on Steam shows no one is playing it as well.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

cmdrk posted:

Man, wish I knew. I was a $60 into that game and got tired of grinding voxels for new tools. It's actually too bad because I think the community put a ton of effort into building thematic pieces of Neriak and Halas and poo poo before the game collapsed.

I think it all happened right around the time SOE became Daybreak, received "independent investors" (Columbus Nova. Some relation to the Russian oligarchy.. They also donated to Trump around the same time :v:), and John Smedley left the company.

All part of The Vision

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Xun posted:

Demos were staged, almost none of the systems really worked or could even be made but they still pumped tons of money into design before the preproduction phase was over, and one of the people in charge enthusiastically mistook the world editor for the actual product, sabotaging every other aspect of the project.

Kortel posted:

The guy who developed the voxel tech for it stopped working on it. No updates to the engine meant no updates could be made by Daybreak.
Plus they just couldn't get EQNext to work. It was half the system for it.
Oh no, the voxelfarm guy continued to work on his tech for at least two years after EQNext was shut down. What happened instead is the EQNext team broke compatibility with voxelfarm so bugfixes and new features just couldn't be ported over.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Elendil004 posted:

All part of The Vision

Make Quests Great Again.

Actually yeah that sounds pretty much like all of Brad's projects (RIP).

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/1339722821761605632

https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/status/1339724117973483520

poggies

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

very poggers

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
I don't like mobas or know anything about Riot, could they actually pull it off?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a league universe? I thought they just filed the serial numbers off of DOTA characters and worked from there

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Jackard posted:

I don't like mobas or know anything about Riot, could they actually pull it off?

Yes. They're genuinely the only company I would trust with developing a large scale MMO at this point. They're packed to the brim with good designers, have an enormous budget, and are highly knowledgeable about online infrastructure and what it takes to make a game run well in multiplayer.

Eox posted:

Is there a league universe? I thought they just filed the serial numbers off of DOTA characters and worked from there

They brought on a full team of writers around 6 years ago to begin fleshing out an actual League universe, which involved dumping almost all of the old stuff save some of the names and places and coming up with a fully-fledged fantasy world. All the info is on the Universe page, which also includes numerous short stories and comics involving the League world.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
They fit a genocidal egirl based on a Riot dev's ex in a cohesive universe?

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Seems like Riot wants 1 game in every Genre, got FPS, CCG, an RPG I believe in works, their Fighting game and now an MMO.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Eox posted:

Heroes of Newerth was the game just implementing DOTA stuff; LoL has always had its own setting though it was pretty all-over-the-place for the first couple of years. "There's a place called Demacia and a place called Noxus and they use LoL for proxy wars and sometimes other places get involved" was the original plot; the whole 'LoL exists in-universe as a way to fight a proxy war' thing is now totally gone.

Character mechanics are all pretty different; the closest character copy was AntiMage->Kassadin in terms of having an assassin with a blink and a silence and Kassadin doesn't even get to have a silence any more, just a channeling interrupt.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
id def play a Riot MMO

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

eonwe posted:

id def play a Riot MMO

i feel like it'd be so absurdly themepark it makes wow look like wurm online

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I don't like LoL/never had much interest in it but any company with money and reputation/proven ability to make a successful well-made game, is positive news for MMO industry.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

I can believe this considering Ghost Crawler is one of the lead people on the game. But also I don't think this is a bad thing in itself.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

I said come in! posted:

I can believe this considering Ghost Crawler is one of the lead people on the game. But also I don't think this is a bad thing in itself.

Yeah, but to me most of the fun of a mmo is mass player interaction. It would suck (just imo) to have a vast, expansive, story filled world that's effectively a single player instance dungeon that you run through similar to genshin if it's going to be touted as a mmo

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
I've been playing Genshin and my question is: they got any MMOs with fun action-combat (I also liked BDO) but with a proper MMO framework? None of this Gacha stamina limiting poo poo. Bonus points for player housing

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jinnigan posted:

I've been playing Genshin and my question is: they got any MMOs with fun action-combat (I also liked BDO) but with a proper MMO framework? None of this Gacha stamina limiting poo poo. Bonus points for player housing

Blade & Soul, and TERA

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Biowarfare posted:

if you like playing a straight white guy fetching bear butts for your levels by yourself in goldshire, you're gonna love this game

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Speaking of BDO, if you link your Twitch-account to your BDO-account, you can get a free copy of the game plus some other stuff starting next wednesday.

https://www.blackdesertonline.com/twitch?lang=EN

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
I checked in on some of my own nostalgia games. In the MUD that I grew up on an item recently sold at auction for $40,000. The developers sold out and turned it into a gacha MUD somehow and are still kicking 32 years later. Biggest problem is the player base is IRL dying and it's practically impossible to attract new customers to a multi-tiered subscription+gacha MUD. So no, there will never be a good MMO ever again.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Frida Call Me posted:

I checked in on some of my own nostalgia games. In the MUD that I grew up on an item recently sold at auction for $40,000. The developers sold out and turned it into a gacha MUD somehow and are still kicking 32 years later. Biggest problem is the player base is IRL dying and it's practically impossible to attract new customers to a multi-tiered subscription+gacha MUD. So no, there will never be a good MMO ever again.

Gacha MUD?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

knox posted:

Gacha MUD?

Originally, they charged premium entry to special events that were held once or twice a year. Flat $30 ontop of your subscription fee for getting the opportunity to shop premium goods, and practically guaranteed interaction with GM-controlled NPCs that could change the look of the the things you wore. This was pretty reasonable and a good time was had by all.

Now, it's $1/entry to participate in a slot machine that will occasionally spit out a MTX currency you can use to buy high-end items. Pretty regularly people are dropping $3,000+ during these events. They cater to the biggest whales by offering top-tier items with guaranteed-win raffle buyins equivalent to $10,000 worth of MTX currency. It's insane.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Frida Call Me posted:

Originally, they charged premium entry to special events that were held once or twice a year. Flat $30 ontop of your subscription fee for getting the opportunity to shop premium goods, and practically guaranteed interaction with GM-controlled NPCs that could change the look of the the things you wore. This was pretty reasonable and a good time was had by all.

Now, it's $1/entry to participate in a slot machine that will occasionally spit out a MTX currency you can use to buy high-end items. Pretty regularly people are dropping $3,000+ during these events. They cater to the biggest whales by offering top-tier items with guaranteed-win raffle buyins equivalent to $10,000 worth of MTX currency. It's insane.

This absolutely has to be Dragonrealms (or maybe Gemstone III)

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Frida Call Me posted:

Remember when we were all sputtering with disbelief 12-odd years ago at Oblivion charging a couple bucks for horse armor?

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Aerox posted:

This absolutely has to be Dragonrealms (or maybe Gemstone III)

On the nose but we're up to Gemstone IV now, baby. Please don't play this game. I was kind of shocked to see over 1k concurrent users during the pandemic but 70% of them are just currency farming robots.

Vermain posted:

Remember when we were all sputtering with disbelief 12-odd years ago at Oblivion charging a couple bucks for horse armor?

Yeah, that really puts things into perspective. Just now there's a character for sale for 5 grand flat.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I've been getting emails for Mortal Online 2 for months now and I only just looked it up, man "THE MOST HARDCORE MMORPG" is not a great selling point

edit: jesus christ

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i got a metal box copy of mortal online back in the day

I got it 6 months after launch
the metal box was badly dented
the DVD inside it was shattered
if the DVD had been intact, it would not have been usable because the launcher on it was outdated and their launcher did not have the ability to patch itself to the current version

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think the only MMO I'm actually interested in for 2021 is Elyon. I've seen some footage of the RvR and it looks like a huge DAoC style clusterfuck which I'm into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I haven't heard of that, I wonder what it-

quote:

Korean MMO

see y'all in 2023 when the LoL MMO comes out i guess