Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I enjoyed Perfect Tower II at first but dropped it because it very quickly got very babysitting-heavy. The power plants turn off every several minutes and need to be turned back on, the drill in the mines needs to be refulled every several minutes, the shipyard wants you to check in on it every five minutes if you want to progress it, and excavating layers in the mines is just "click as fast as you can, there's no idling here, 1 click = 1 progress".

I know there's some sort of unlockable AI scripting later on, but a) I don't have it yet so it doesn't help me for now, and b) apparently it's basically a full autohotkey-style thing where you need to input screen coordinates for the cursor where you want it to click and stuff, instead of just letting you easily just turn on drill autorefueling or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Aurora posted:

i'm not sure i like the factory or power plant parts of perfect tower 2

or the lab really

Everything about the factory sucks honestly. Thing needs either a major rework or a ton of QoL changes. I'm never gonna make any of the higher tier producers because making a single advanced chip is like a 200 step process.
Lab and Power Plant are fine though, I think the little sub-idlers that they are are neat. Some of them are pretty annoying or inscrutible, though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Aurora posted:

i'm not sure i like the factory or power plant parts of perfect tower 2

or the lab really

all the extra features feel like weird poorly made mini puzzle games. They should be a nice easy to access menu instead of whatever grid stuff going on.

The game needs an overhaul. Factory and Power Plant would be fine if you could search and find what you needed.Like Factory I should be able to click an item in a recipe and start making it, I should be able to see the entire chain and start making all the pieces. It's a confusing mess of menus and sub menus within sub menus.

The core main game is fun though so I hope they fix that up.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

frankenbeans posted:

I still keep this one ticking away, but progress is really slow for me as I chip away at challenge 15.

Depending on what you mean by "chip[ping] away at challenge 15", you might be doing this all wrong. Every once in a while you go back and do a quick C15 run to bump it up if you can hit a new milestone while normally grinding out cubes of all types and investing in platonic upgrades.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Another Chronicle β.ver is pretty nice, it reminds me of a more polished less messy version of Theory of Magic (which was busted to the point of being unplayable last I tried a few months ago). Are they just planning on leaving it up on Kongregate till Kong inevitably dies?

I quit Idleon after a day. Idle Skilling honestly had a similar issue where the UIs are just clunky and annoying and everything you do feels so tedious with little payoff.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.
perfect tower 2 talk

pixaal posted:

The core main game is fun though so I hope they fix that up.

The game became totally uninteresting to me around tier 6/tier 7, where there is only one strategy (do %hp damage and never take an actual hit on your tower) with two difficulties (maps with enemies that have too much darkness/fire resist (that are essentially impossible) and maps without (that you can do infinitely)) and you just wait hours for your wave counter to go to whatever number it has to get to for the next reset (or run a script to auto-mine/shipyard/trade every x minutes while you are waiting). Essentially zero meaningful decisions to make.

Maybe this changes at some point in progression but glancing at the endgame channels in discord it seemed to be pretty much the same thing.

Residual Toast
Nov 19, 2007
The Toast with the Most

cum calamity posted:

Another Chronicle β.ver is pretty nice, it reminds me of a more polished less messy version of Theory of Magic (which was busted to the point of being unplayable last I tried a few months ago). Are they just planning on leaving it up on Kongregate till Kong inevitably dies?

i'm in the discord, and he's been updating it monthly or so so far, and adding new endings and endgame content. He just posted that he's publishing onto armor games tomorrow, and had a version on itch at some point, so i think he's trying to move forwards with keeping it alive. I think he's trying to get a steam build ... sometime, but not sure.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
Why is kongregate bad for idlers now, out of curiosity? I wasn't following the thread for a while and I think I missed what the change was. Is it going away soon?

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IIRC it got bought out by a new company, you can't submit new games, and all the forums are now perma-locked. They haven't said anything concrete past that but it heavily points towards a complete shutdown sometime soon.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Nea posted:

Why is kongregate bad for idlers now, out of curiosity? I wasn't following the thread for a while and I think I missed what the change was. Is it going away soon?

I think the idea is that Kong's death and Flash's death coincide.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Nea posted:

They've had new uploads closed since the beginning of July and the site is basically on life support currently. There don't seem to be any plans to reopen submissions. I think everyone just sees it as a matter of time at this point. Their sole priority seems to be mobile game publishing now.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
God, that loving sucks. Like... I know Kongregate probably wasn't doing great, but I miss the flash game era and it was one of those sites that was still standing.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Did Idleon get its own thread, or are we talking about that here? Does anyone know if we'll ever have a way to change the classes on a character? When the patch hits I'm wondering if my current Barbarian might be better off as a Squire, so I can then have my current mining Warrior be a Barbarian and get the bonuses to both Mining and Fishing, and so on for all my other characters. I guess I can just respec their points and change which one of my characters I consider to be my "skilling" character, but we're definitely getting more classes eventually and it would be nice to know I'm not 100% locked into whatever choice I make with these guys.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Epsilon Plus posted:

Did Idleon get its own thread, or are we talking about that here? Does anyone know if we'll ever have a way to change the classes on a character? When the patch hits I'm wondering if my current Barbarian might be better off as a Squire, so I can then have my current mining Warrior be a Barbarian and get the bonuses to both Mining and Fishing, and so on for all my other characters. I guess I can just respec their points and change which one of my characters I consider to be my "skilling" character, but we're definitely getting more classes eventually and it would be nice to know I'm not 100% locked into whatever choice I make with these guys.

Chatter on the discord says that their won't be character respecs, but that there will be character resets/deletions, so you can make use an existing character slot to reset a character to Level 1 and then spec it how you want when you do the class quests (and also get quest rewards again I guess).

Fiss
Jul 20, 2009

Epsilon Plus posted:

To add onto there being no class changes Lava said when he finishes the other sub classes he will open up the 7 to 12 character slots so for now just pick the useable sub classes (rip me having a squire, hunter and wizard). If your wondering the current class levels for character unlocks in the code are 0, 8, 30, 60, 130, 225, 330, 470, 600, 760, 950, 1100, 1250, 1400, 1700, 2e3, 2300, 2650, 3e3, 3500, 4e3, 4500, 5e3, 6e3, 7e3, 8e3, 9e3, 1e4, 12500, 15e3, 25e3, 5e4, 75e3, 1e5, 15e4, 2e5, 5e5, 1e6. All you need to do then is make sure you get each character to at least level 21,316 and you will eventually have all 38! Also make sure you equip the level up gift bubble on any new characters for a bunch of gems from the gifts. Nearly every time it procs will give you a gem.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

cum calamity posted:

They've had new uploads closed since the beginning of July and the site is basically on life support currently. There don't seem to be any plans to reopen submissions. I think everyone just sees it as a matter of time at this point. Their sole priority seems to be mobile game publishing now.
Yeah, the only reason Another Chronicle can be on Kong at all is that the alpha version was already up so the dev just replaced it with an entirely different game, and when that's the literal only way to publish to your site, they're just trying to cash out on the name at this point.

frankenbeans
Feb 16, 2003

Good Times

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Depending on what you mean by "chip[ping] away at challenge 15", you might be doing this all wrong. Every once in a while you go back and do a quick C15 run to bump it up if you can hit a new milestone while normally grinding out cubes of all types and investing in platonic upgrades.

That's exactly what I'm doing :) Progress is still slow though. It's very slowly accelerating as I get more platonic upgrades, but I'm not giving it as much time as I did back in the Ant days.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

cyrn posted:

perfect tower 2 talk

The game became totally uninteresting to me around tier 6/tier 7, where there is only one strategy (do %hp damage and never take an actual hit on your tower) with two difficulties (maps with enemies that have too much darkness/fire resist (that are essentially impossible) and maps without (that you can do infinitely)) and you just wait hours for your wave counter to go to whatever number it has to get to for the next reset (or run a script to auto-mine/shipyard/trade every x minutes while you are waiting). Essentially zero meaningful decisions to make.

Maybe this changes at some point in progression but glancing at the endgame channels in discord it seemed to be pretty much the same thing.

I don't think I made it all that far before all the mini games seemed tedious and the limited factoring in my progress around the time I did the first prestige.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Speaking of Idleon, new patch just dropped.

- Tasks are fine and way better for recipe unlocks. Plus some other bonuses!
- Bestiary with drop rates!!! Only seems accessible after you get their card, though.
- Looks like the first boss drops materials to make new items. Hopefully a nice bridge between "Iron stuff" and "stuff that takes ridiculous tons of effort and grinding to get"
- Some random QOL fixes with storage (splitting stacks! Max withdraw/deposit money!)

Definitely gonna get me back into the game for a bit.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Honestly its better than that, the Amarok Paws you can make are better than Gold Shoes; They've got 8 Defense and 5 Upgrade slots, plus the +5% defense bonus. Cheaper to craft too, though it does require daily stuff instead of grindable stuff.

Haven't looked at the rest of the set, but that at the very least is pretty great.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Honestly its better than that, the Amarok Paws you can make are better than Gold Shoes; They've got 8 Defense and 5 Upgrade slots, plus the +5% defense bonus. Cheaper to craft too, though it does require daily stuff instead of grindable stuff.

Haven't looked at the rest of the set, but that at the very least is pretty great.

Rest of the set is comparable to Platinum gear, slightly worse but not by much.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Arzaac posted:

Where do you get the recipe? I got like 50+ keys stockpiled so I lemme at em.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

You can buy it for Merits from the task guy.

Each piece of the set requires you to do successively harder versions of the Amarok task though. It starts with 1 Amarok kill -> 5 Amarok kills -> Kill Amarok with boxing gloves, so on and so forth.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

This Leaf Blower Revolution on Steam is pretty fun, I do wish there was an Android version though. Seems well suited to just dragging your finger all around a screen.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

This Leaf Blower Revolution on Steam is pretty fun, I do wish there was an Android version though. Seems well suited to just dragging your finger all around a screen.

Oh, that's kinda neat.
I really wish there were more incrementals with a visual aspect, I think one of the things I quite appreciated about structure was that while it was super minimalist, it was pretty rewarding to see a map get cleared out.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SubNat posted:

Oh, that's kinda neat.
I really wish there were more incrementals with a visual aspect, I think one of the things I quite appreciated about structure was that while it was super minimalist, it was pretty rewarding to see a map get cleared out.

I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not but as you level up your stuff you do get more and more leaves on screen at least so later on you're basically clearing out an entire screen's worth of leaves and it's very satisfying. There's also other stuff later on too like new planets with space leaves!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

SubNat posted:

Oh, that's kinda neat.

I think this has to do with how math driven the games are, it's rare for someone to be both able to make something mathematically pleasing and visually pleasing unless you are like graphing the numbers and doubling down on maths. Getting the colors right, the scale, it's effort. Idle games are mostly first projects or cash grabs. What you want is a labor of love that few people players will truly apricate the duality of.

That said, Terafold by StopSign was doing a decent job before he ditched it (Stop sign is the guy that's started like 14 good idles but never finished one)
Terafold link
StopSign's website

I really liked his dynamic graphics (you'll need to play for a few hours to really get them) nothing else is that noteworthy unfortunately but I did enjoy the evolving visuals enough to play until I ran out of content.

NanoSpread (also StopSign) also has some nice visual elements and is fun for a day or two. It gets really repetitive though even with the changing level layouts.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

explosivo posted:

I'm not sure if this is what you mean or not but as you level up your stuff you do get more and more leaves on screen at least so later on you're basically clearing out an entire screen's worth of leaves and it's very satisfying. There's also other stuff later on too like new planets with space leaves!

Yeah, it's why it prompted my comment. Just from the preview images I saw that it would have a pretty pleasing aspect to it, just clearing it all away.

pixaal posted:

What you want is a labor of love that few people players will truly apricate the duality of.

Yeah, I entirely understand why they are so vanishingly rare, I just wanted to express that I'm really fond of them.
The genre is very math and numbers oriented as you say, which is super understandable as that is the easiest way to approach ever increasing numbers and such.
After all, all you need is a scripting 101 tutorial in an engine of your choice to get started with 'smack a button, increment a number.' , while anything visual beyond menus demands meshing multiple skillsets, on top of having mechanics that mesh well with that aspect.

Thanks very much for the links, I'll check 'em out.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Are there any idles that are not primarily numbers oriented? I’m thinking of something like a village where yes you want to build it up but the more important thing is what the citizens do (or what events happen to them) and you log on each day to see what they’ve been up to?

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

nelson posted:

Are there any idles that are not primarily numbers oriented? I’m thinking of something like a village where yes you want to build it up but the more important thing is what the citizens do (or what events happen to them) and you log on each day to see what they’ve been up to?

Animal Crossing?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Hey so I wasn't gonna post this until it was out but then I had a bunch of folks tell me how important wishlists are so...

My game is gonna be on Steam next month! Yeah, I advertised it for iOS before but let's face it, most of us are PC players, right? Please wishlist it if you want to play an idle game on your PC that's more like a marble slide construction set.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1488100/IncrediMarble/

Normally it looks like this
https://i.imgur.com/77jG1FQ.gifv

But on PC I wanna eventually do poo poo like this
https://i.imgur.com/hQMUmkL.gifv
Which, admittedly, is even less like an idle game but... who knows what I'll end up doing.

It'll be on sale at launch for under 5 bucks. I didn't want to bother creating a whole microtransactional currency like other free-to-play idle games do. If this sells enough, it'll keep getting free updates to add more slides, visuals, and features to make it break more physics and generally be more satisfying to stare at. It's early access purely so I have time to convert the UI from an obvious mobile port to a probably-meant-for-desktop port.

In idle game news: I'm addicted to Perfect Tower 2 though I think I've finally hit a wall because reaching level 100 billion seems like an insurmountable goal. Also been playing Leaf Blower Revolution and also hit the wall there because I'm supposed to have 1b red coins but I'm only earning like 100k per reset and doing that reset 10 times seems real boring.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Dec 20, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

DaveKap posted:

Hey so I wasn't gonna post this until it was out but then I had a bunch of folks tell me how important wishlists are so...

My game is gonna be on Steam next month! Yeah, I advertised it for iOS before but let's face it, most of us are PC players, right? Please wishlist it if you want to play an idle game on your PC that's more like a marble slide construction set.

Which, admittedly, is even less like an idle game but... who knows what I'll end up doing.

It'll be on sale at launch for under 5 bucks. I didn't want to bother creating a whole microtransactional currency like other free-to-play idle games do. If this sells enough, it'll keep getting free updates to add more slides, visuals, and features to make it break more physics and generally be more satisfying to stare at. It's early access purely so I have time to convert the UI from an obvious mobile port to a probably-meant-for-desktop port.

In idle game news: I'm addicted to Perfect Tower 2 though I think I've finally hit a wall because reaching level 100 billion seems like an insurmountable goal. Also been playing Leaf Blower Revolution and also hit the wall there because I'm supposed to have 1b red coins but I'm only earning like 100k per reset and doing that reset 10 times seems real boring.

It reminds me of this old game Marble Drop. Colour me interested.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

DaveKap posted:

If you get that zen going it could be a cool zen screensaver with a score and design phase type of deal. It's a bit like Marble Racing: the game, but not Marbles on Stream, it's Marbles on Steam.

If you are looking for ideas watching the dollars pop up I immediately thought about it being a theme park with the marbles being customers and the slides being rides. Likely too late to really make it that way but maybe it'll help you scale something up later like with a prestige or something.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 21, 2020

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm curious to see what the 'game' part of IncrediMarble is like, I've been looking forward to trying it since you first teased it here but I don't know what to expect from it in terms of an idle incremental game instead of a sandbox marble contraption maker toy thingey. That second gif looks incredibly satisfying so I'm looking forward to seeing it get there, but either way I've wishlisted and will happily support goon projects :)

There's that marbles streaming game that seems to be all the rage these days so the timing is good, maybe you'll get the rub on Steam from people searching for marble related games!

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me
I haven't played an idle game in ages so I'm looking for some recommendations. I highly prefer games that are heavy on the idle side instead of clickers, and ones that can be played from a browser.

I really liked Clickpocalypse 2, it was fun making a party and watching your little guys go to work. I remember trying a number of other dungeon crawl or fantasy combat type games but none had as good a mix of theme/environments and idle mechanics.

On the complete opposite front, I played the poo poo out of Antimatter Dimensions because while it was nothing more than numbers, it was very well executed (and very idle, especially after getting autobuyers). Seems like it's dead now though.

The other game I spent a lot of time with was Realm Grinder. I liked how unlocking different abilities and research could completely change what was effective and what was not, so you ended up using a wide variety of strategies. My problem with it was that it got to a point where those paradigm shifts were fewer and farther between, so you'd spend way too long without anything meaningfully changing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

There is always Universal Paperclips!

https://twitter.com/rianjohnson/status/1340926634531024896?s=12

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Nibble posted:

On the complete opposite front, I played the poo poo out of Antimatter Dimensions because while it was nothing more than numbers, it was very well executed (and very idle, especially after getting autobuyers). Seems like it's dead now though.

Prestige Tree is a little gem that came out recently that has a ton of mods (check their discord) https://jacorb90.github.io/Prestige-Tree/ it's basically Antimatter Dimensions as more of a game. It does have an end the base game is like 20h or so first play through depending on how long it takes you to solve certain puzzle (or however you want to think of getting the numbers set right to progress the faster than heat death of universe). Their discord has speed runs only a few hours long so if you know what you are doing it's much quicker!

Play the base one before you do mods it does a good job of teaching you everything and mods can obviously be spotty.

Very active looking community of people speed running it and mods to it. There was recently some people here talking about a marathon mod if that's your thing where the game takes months by the sound of it. (New content obviously, though it sounded a bit rough around the edges for figuring out what to do next)

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Klungar posted:

There is always Universal Paperclips!

I think I've played this before, but can't remember how far I got. Is this one with a pretty easily achievable ending? I might be thinking of a different game.

pixaal posted:

Prestige Tree

This looks right up my alley, thanks!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I might loosely recommend Melvor Idle, I'm done with it now because there honestly isn't a ton to do later on once you get everything leveled to max or near-max, but it is very idle and can be played in a browser or on your phone or on Steam and there's cross platform cloud saves which is a nice-to-have. I had a good couple weeks of watching bars go up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Nibble posted:

I haven't played an idle game in ages so I'm looking for some recommendations. I highly prefer games that are heavy on the idle side instead of clickers, and ones that can be played from a browser.

I really liked Clickpocalypse 2, it was fun making a party and watching your little guys go to work. I remember trying a number of other dungeon crawl or fantasy combat type games but none had as good a mix of theme/environments and idle mechanics.

The other game I spent a lot of time with was Realm Grinder. I liked how unlocking different abilities and research could completely change what was effective and what was not, so you ended up using a wide variety of strategies. My problem with it was that it got to a point where those paradigm shifts were fewer and farther between, so you'd spend way too long without anything meaningfully changing.

Synergism has varying degrees of active vs idle, trending toward more idle as you go. It's not dissimilar from Antimatter Dimensions.

Distance Incremental (by the same person that did prestige tree) is almost a direct Antimatter ripoff. Prestige Tree requires a lot more active play.