Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Swashbuckler is good though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Swashbuckler is amazing and the issue with numbers in Destiny 2 is there's two kinds of them in the form of PvE and PvP and the PvE numbers are notoriously hard to track. If someone is using hard numbers they're talking about PvP where everything is static (most of the time). Otherwise just listen for percentages, because that's what matters.

Also don't listen to Aztecross on math, dude's tragically attractive but also dumb as rocks. Although he doesn't just scrape a bunch of poo poo on Reddit and call it his own content, so he's better than most of the other Destiny "content creators" by dint of that alone I guess.

EDIT: Swash is a 30% damage increase at max stacks, btw

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why would you ever be upset at someone for using perk guides in a game where the buffs are as nebulous and inscrutable as this one

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I guess I'm in the minority, because I at least give guns a try to see if I like how they handle before caring too much about Perk rolls. For the longest time, my workhorse Bygones was Slideshot/High Impact Reserves.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stats are a fake idea

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

Swashbuckler is amazing and the issue with numbers in Destiny 2 is there's two kinds of them in the form of PvE and PvP and the PvE numbers are notoriously hard to track. If someone is using hard numbers they're talking about PvP where everything is static (most of the time). Otherwise just listen for percentages, because that's what matters.

Also don't listen to Aztecross on math, dude's tragically attractive but also dumb as rocks. Although he doesn't just scrape a bunch of poo poo on Reddit and call it his own content, so he's better than most of the other Destiny "content creators" by dint of that alone I guess.

EDIT: Swash is a 30% damage increase at max stacks, btw

Just an example though.
What about "can be drawn incredibly fast", "faster time to aim down sights" and you know them all.
How could you determine wat to go for, if its not in away supported by numbers?

Like, is 90 range stat on a sidearm the same as 90 range on a hand cannon?
A shotgun?
A sniper?

Many perk description could as well be pictures of dogs in funny heads and carry the exact same amount of actual information.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just an example though.
What about "can be drawn incredibly fast", "faster time to aim down sights" and you know them all.

A shotgun?
A sniper?

Many perk description could as well be pictures of dogs in funny heads and carry the exact same amount of actual information.

I mean, I don't disagree with this, I was just responding to the specifics of your post.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
The context here was somebody throwing away a new gun because the internet said it was bad. Just shoot the gun for a bit. If you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, then worry about the perks before you trash it. There's plenty of vault space to keep guns with lovely perks that still feel good to shoot when you're just knocking out some bounties or whatever.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Landlord posted:

I mean, I don't disagree with this, I was just responding to the specifics of your post.

yeah, i know, i wasnt being offensive.

I just understand completely why someone heeds the advice of people on youtube, i can hardly tell if my guns are badly rolled or godly.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Here's the test:

Is it a pig to hit things with?

Does it feel like things are dying faster when you use it?

If the answer to both of these is yes, you may find you have a good gun.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just an example though.

IMHO those are all fairly reasonable examples of self-explanatory perks? I don’t need numbers for those because basically all of the handling perks/stats just affect the “gunfeel” and you’re 1000x better off just trying them out for yourself than someone on the internet explaining that it shaves 0.15 seconds off of your weapon swap or that it “feels snappier”.

quote:

A shotgun?
A sniper?

I agree that the range stat is both unintuitive and needlessly obtuse, especially since bungee overhaul the way it works within weapon types every few months.

In terms of perks the only ones I find really annoying are the ones like Subsistence where it’s really good on some weapon types (like ARs) and really terrible on others (like SMGs)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I would actually prefer this, if anyone from Bungie is looking

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Just an example though.

A shotgun?
A sniper?

This is one of the things that made me bounce of D2 last year. For a looter shooter the weapon stats are so opaque, particularly for newcomers. Warframe for example has a full page of useful stats for every weapon, with actual numbers instead of.... bar graphs that mean..???

I've come to terms with it though and now I actually kind of like D2 weapon stats as a casual player because I just ignore most of it and use whatever is fun and seems to kill stuff..

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I pick guns based on cool names & how well they take shaders

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

my body is a temple to an idiot god
I wish it were easier to select and compare guns without having to do the equip dance or go to an external website. Just let me click two and then stare at them slowly mouthing the names of the perks in case that helps me work out which one to keep.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Kith posted:

I guess I'm in the minority, because I at least give guns a try to see if I like how they handle before caring too much about Perk rolls. For the longest time, my workhorse Bygones was Slideshot/High Impact Reserves.

I'm not opposed to trying out a gun to figure out if it's fun to shoot - Ringing Nail was never meta but I sure had some fun with it and got like, a dragonfly/rampage one because that seemed like it'd work nicely, but a lot of the time I just can't really be bothered to try every gun the game dumps on me - particularly if it's some weapon type I don't really like or don't currently need to use. At some point community knowledge of "dont sleep on this combo" is just really handy.

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.

McLarenF1 posted:

I don't know exactly but only one or two of perks were highlighted as good for PvE or PvP, and neither was best in slot.

It's gone now. Just keep playing.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Kith posted:

my workhorse Bygones was Slideshot/High Impact Reserves.

An excellent pair of perks with incredible synergy on a great gun.

I suspect many people write "is this a good gun?" because they want help, and don't mean to ask someone to play the game for them.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
It’s insane that the game doesn’t show basic stuff like optimal range, or damage/dps, especially since the only way to figure this stuff out is to load up a private crucible match with someone else because there are no training dummies or target range lmao

e: also show me the new magazine size when I hover over backup mag instead of just “number go up lol” it’s 2020

Doc Mave
Jan 7, 2007
Not a real doc.

Firebert posted:

It’s insane that the game doesn’t show basic stuff like optimal range, or damage/dps, especially since the only way to figure this stuff out is to load up a private crucible match with someone else because there are no training dummies or target range lmao

e: also show me the new magazine size when I hover over backup mag instead of just “number go up lol” it’s 2020

My fave is how when you increase draw time on a bow you get a little green arrow because more = always good obviously :downs:

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Firebert posted:

Yeah it's really poo poo and please can we have a vault with tabs for different armour and weapons etc that you can then compare within. It literally makes my (old) eyes swim looking at it.

The gunsmith in BLOPS CW is really cool on the details tab. Actual numbers that let you compare instead of bars that still don't tell you anything.

And since I'm still a relative noob, is it correct to assume that the masterwork stat being good really depends on the kind of weapon. Like stability on an smg is more useful than it would be on a grenade launcher for example.

Sometimes I get a great drop perk wise and then the masterwork option on it feels really meh.

And please Bungie. Let me make cookies in batches. If you're going to let me shove these things in Zavala's face, whilst he gives me blues he found down the back of the sofa in the Vanguard Clubhouse for shards - can I do it in bulk pretty please?

At least Saint pretended to be grateful.

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 17, 2020

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

Spanish Manlove posted:

That's why you only scrap things once a year

you can fill up your vault with legendary drops in like 2 weeks easy

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT

slow_twitch posted:

This is one of the things that made me bounce of D2 last year. For a looter shooter the weapon stats are so opaque, particularly for newcomers. Warframe for example has a full page of useful stats for every weapon, with actual numbers instead of.... bar graphs that mean..???

I've come to terms with it though and now I actually kind of like D2 weapon stats as a casual player because I just ignore most of it and use whatever is fun and seems to kill stuff..

Everything about how Warframe handles stats and builds I prefer over D2, but Warframe is exhausting and overwhelming with all the different activities to do and how all of them coalesce into completing a build. I occasionally get bored of D2 and wander to Warframe but inevitably bounce back to D2. If D2 had more detailed and transparent stats and more build depth (but not too much more), it would be perfect. Also the gunplay in D2 is unrivaled.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've tried Warframe a few times and couldn't get into it both for the reasons kfj mentioned and also I thought the movement kind of sucked. It's neat you can zip around but the maps, at least, from what I played, really clearly are badly designed to handle it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Warframe makes more sense when you realise it was designed by people from a generation where strafe aiming was easier.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Swashbuckler is good though?

I use it on my Gnawing Hunger. Love having a quick attack boost for a couple seconds whenever I punch a weak enemy.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

ClydeFrog posted:

And since I'm still a relative noob, is it correct to assume that the masterwork stat being good really depends on the kind of weapon. Like stability on an smg is more useful than it would be on a grenade launcher for example.

Very much so. And there are some masterworks that are complete traps as well, namely charge time masterworks on PvP fusion rifles because they reduce the damage of each fusion bolt!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
:goonsay: Technically Charge Time MW (and accelerated coils) make fusion rifles better for PvE since DPS skyrockets as charge time and impact go down

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
A bunch of PvE-oriented content creators are whining that there isn't enough demand for constant How-To/Guide videos anymore and they have to make them for games other than Destiny

Brothers

Let us celebrate this most joyous day

Destiny is officially intuitive enough that we don't need a 20 minute guide for how to engage with every piece of content

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Ta.

Well currently the game is fubar'd for me. Every time I go into a Nightfall strike or an Empire Hunt for 1250 and above I'm on my own. It doesn't even look for Guardians - just launches me straight into it. Eep.

It does work normally at Adept. But I don't wanna do those :(

Any chance I've somehow activated something silly?

ClydeFrog fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 17, 2020

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ClydeFrog posted:

Ta.

Well currently the game is fubar'd for me. Every time I go into a Nightfall strike or an Empire Hunt for 1250 and above I'm on my own. It doesn't even look for Guardians - just launches me straight into it. Eep.

Erm, at that difficulty and above, theres no matchmaking.
This is bring-your-own-squad.

ClydeFrog
Apr 13, 2007

Well there you go. I am dumb!

That was simple - thank you.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Man, someone at Bungie should be spritzed with water every time a Gambit match has a team summoning a primeval while the other team has 0 motes. It's so loving dumb how hard matches snowball.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

A bunch of PvE-oriented content creators are whining that there isn't enough demand for constant How-To/Guide videos anymore and they have to make them for games other than Destiny

Brothers

Destiny is officially intuitive enough that we don't need a 20 minute guide for how to engage with every piece of content

It's actually that there just isn't any content.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Oxyclean posted:

Man, someone at Bungie should be spritzed with water every time a Gambit match has a team summoning a primeval while the other team has 0 motes. It's so loving dumb how hard matches snowball.

The big problem is invaders. If your fist to 25 motes and have a decent invader, the other team stands little chance of catching up. My quick and dirty balance idea is swapping invader milestones to the opponent. If your team banks 25, then the opponent gets an invader portal. Besides invaders, Gambit is still my favorite mode. Sorry for my bad opinions.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Oxyclean posted:

I’ve had enough close scrapes and exciting/brutally painful last second victories/defeats this season. Gambit may sure trend snowbally, but it’s never totally lost until it’s lost

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'd say about 90% of my Gambit games are blowout wins 100 to 10-or-less, and about 5% are nail biters, and 5% are blowout losses 10-100

If you're better than the other team you win, you absolutely clobber them to smithereens

If you're roughly even in skill it's up to RNG based on how much heavy spawns and what sort of Glowy Enemy patterns you get.

Invasions are a newbie trap now. You will win more games if you don't use that invasion portal (you can of course still win if you use the invasion portal, it's just counter-productive)

All this assumes a 4-stack of course. If you're playing gambit solo you must assume everyone is just there to get Bounties done and there is no concern for wins and losses.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I’ve had enough close scrapes and exciting/brutally painful last second victories/defeats this season. Gambit may sure trend snowbally, but it’s never totally lost until it’s lost

I've had a few matches with glorious come-backs, but more often then not what happens is enemy team drops like 2-3 Knights before we can even bank, then everything goes to poo poo, they invade, wipe out most of the team, and then before we can even get stuff cleaned up, they're invading again or summoning their prime, and then procced to wipe the prime long before we can get motes in. It feels absolutely demoralizing and unfun.

The only thing I can think to really change is maybe make stacking large blockers less effective (no idea how) or maybe do something about the way a runaway lead can basically quickly turn into 3 invasions in a row? Like it just feels bad to basically have an invader pop back in just as you're picking your teeth off the floor from the last invasions.

Also, totally different whine: I really wish shaders I already had didn't drop. I cleared out my shaders pretty nicely when Beyond Light dropped but now the tab is a mess of garbage that's been vomited on my from various loot sources. I really do not need the same green/blue rarity shaders I've seen a million times.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Also, totally different whine: I really wish shaders I already had didn't drop. I cleared out my shaders pretty nicely when Beyond Light dropped but now the tab is a mess of garbage that's been vomited on my from various loot sources. I really do not need the same green/blue rarity shaders I've seen a million times.
When they bring in the transmog system that supposedly pulls from collections, they need to do the same for shaders. No shader inventory, just a charge to pull it from collections. It's a completely unnecessary extra step and cleaning out my shaders every few weeks feels like a chore. Like literally housework I have to do, same as clearing out my vault.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

:goonsay: Technically Charge Time MW (and accelerated coils) make fusion rifles better for PvE since DPS skyrockets as charge time and impact go down
It also means I miss more, because I'm used to being over the target by the time the charge goes off. This is why I hate backup plan because it fucks with the aim.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It also means I miss more, because I'm used to being over the target by the time the charge goes off. This is why I hate backup plan because it fucks with the aim.

Excellent choice!!! There are many reasons to hate Backup Plan. They nerfed the bajeezus out of it a few seasons ago and made it into its current wretched state: all it does is convert your fusion's archetype to the Rapid Fire Frame for a brief moment, giving it worst-in-class range and lethality in pvp and completely wasting a perk slot in pve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I feel like the biggest variable in Gambit is how well the other players are able to help with the objectives. Once the primeval's up it's just a matter of clearing out the envoys and the invader as fast as possible and then Lamenting the thing down.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Brothers

That's what they get for building a business on the back of an existing product they have no control over.