Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Hate all you want but mirror saru’s puberty rage was great.

Also whoever said LDS would be a good landing zone for space hitler was 100% correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’ve been one of the few defending this dumb show since it premiered, but I guess pointing out bad lazy title design lumps me in with all the people searching for things to complain about every episode :shrug:

I mean you’ve got a long way to go yet before you land in whatever basement this brain genius dink crawled out of

https://www.twitter.com/waytoomuchbeer/status/1338195717945401344

So take heart, friend!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also the comm badge transporter that’s able to transport itself that he’s whinging about has been a thing since Nemesis. Data slaps one of them on Picard to get him off the Scimitar before he blows it the gently caress up.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Transporters along with replicators are the epitome of Space Magic that when thought about too hard invalidates literally the entire premise of any Star Trek show.

"Captain, our dilithium crystals have all exploded!"
"Well, uh... replicate more!"
"But dilithium is a special chemical compound that our Space 3D Printers can't create from whacking energy and mass together like literally everything else. That's why it makes the ships go."
"Well, uh... pull a backup from the pattern buffer from the last time we beamed dilithium cargo aboard."
"On it!"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Transporters along with replicators are the epitome of Space Magic that when thought about too hard invalidates literally the entire premise of any Star Trek show.

"Captain, our dilithium crystals have all exploded!"
"Well, uh... replicate more!"
"But dilithium is a special chemical compound that our Space 3D Printers can't create from whacking energy and mass together like literally everything else. That's why it makes the ships go."
"Well, uh... pull a backup from the pattern buffer from the last time we beamed dilithium cargo aboard."
"On it!"

They were also, at their purest idea level, a plot contrivance to get Kirk and co. down to the Planet of the Week because they realized they couldn’t land the Enterprise as-designed and they didn’t have the budget to build full-scale shuttle sets yet.

Also every real world experiment with teleporting particles has more or less confirmed the whole “the transporter kills you” theory...

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Imagine trying to explain how this kind of Transporter isn't possible but this other one is.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

i enjoyued last episode because seeing the crew chew scenery and have fun was cool. also the terran empire uniforms ruled. but this episode sucked. lol at the farewell scene forever.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

My reaction to the reveal in this week’s episode:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Also lol at the guardian finally realizing that just letting random rear end people do whatever in the time machine isn’t a great idea.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

nine-gear crow posted:

Also every real world experiment with teleporting particles has more or less confirmed the whole “the transporter kills you” theory...

What

Quantum teleportation is nothing to do with sci fi teleportation

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
"Perhaps you know me as....

THE GUARDIAN OF FOREVER!"

*vfx*

"Um...nope doesn't ring a bell. "

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

piratepilates posted:

didn't georgiou literally eat a mirror version of a member of the bridge crew lol

Who among us truly hasn't had the desire to try some tasty, tasty ganglia?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Also lol at the guardian finally realizing that just letting random rear end people do whatever in the time machine isn’t a great idea.

"Look, you have to promise not to mess anything up."

"Oh gently caress not again"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If I had no idea what Star Trek was or its history and saw this episode, the Guardian reveal would have seemed like something out of a Tim and Eric sketch.

But I do know Trek and therefore I liked it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower Decks is getting international distribution on Amazon Prime Video in January.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Anyone besides Burnham being sad is ridiculous. Also, wouldn't they immediately be able to see her whole life? This whole episode feels like it could've fit within the last one.

Were Airam and Niellsen both on the MU disco?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

The toast scene could have been good if it was the crew basically standing around awkwardly having a hard time coming up with anything nice to say until someone broke the ice.

I wish this show would be as over-the-top operatic and enthusiastic about gay space communism as it is about MU fascism.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Khanstant posted:

Were Airam and Niellsen both on the MU disco?

Yep but because they did the actress switch I wasn't 100% sure it was Airam until she was named in dialogue

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Also, lol, did I literally just watch a Star Trek Christmas Carol?

"You there, in the bowler hat: what day is it?"

"Why, Empress, it's Christmas Day!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They said Airiam but didn't see her anywhere, unless she didn't have that weird accident in this universe.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Okay, didn't see her either so I'm guessing they are just trying to reinforce that airam and lt nielssen are different entities. Which is kind of weird, the only reason I know lt nielssen and airam are the same actress is because people talking about it. I would never rcognize that actress from her time as Airam. Hell, I swore the fleshier parts of that face were still latex or rubber.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Looking into it some more, Airiam was there, but not blue because I guess she's just a normal human here. Hannah Cheesman has a credit on IMDB for Terra Firma Part 1 and there is someone that looks kind of like her on the Bridge to the left of Killy.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Mirror Airiam was indeed just her S12 actor sans cyborg prosthetics and was standing at her usual console

Mirror Nilsson (Airiam S21 actor) was at Conn after Mirror Detmer got got (and got got herself in the brig fight)

edit: lol mixed them up

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 18, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Nilsson is season 1 Airiam.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Looking into it some more, Airiam was there, but not blue because I guess she's just a normal human here. Hannah Cheesman has a credit on IMDB for Terra Firma Part 1 and there is someone that looks kind of like her on the Bridge to the left of Killy.

Airim was the Ops officer on the Mirror Discovery, Nilsson was the Helm officer.

They were both in the previous episode too, during the party scene

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-discovery-guardian-forever-carl-sagan

Inverse article posted:

"Georgiou is sent back to a point in time that she doesn’t expect… But it ends up being exactly where she needs to be," the Discovery writers tell Inverse. "A lot of care was put into developing Georgiou’s arc this season. As for what it sets Georgiou up for beyond that — only space-time will tell."

Let's play "guess the S31 show premise" - I figure she's either going to reform S31 post-DS9 or just form the whole dang thing pre-ENT

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 18, 2020

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Georgiou pops out on the NX-01 during its last mission and kidnaps a dying Trip in 2161, using 32nd century medical tech to save him from his injuries. Together with Reed, the three work together to beat the poo poo out of a time displaced Ash Tyler for being such a goddamn loser.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

LOL

Inverse article posted:

"Burnham and Georgiou were going to beam down to the planet expecting to find the Guardian, and instead come across a lone house with a garden — not unlike the house in TNG’s “The Survivors. Its sole occupant, a mysterious Gardener, would turn out to be the Guardian," the writers explain. "Georgiou was going to live out her final hours there choosing to have a perfect day with (Prime) Burnham -- it involved baking an apple pie!"

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I wish this show would be as over-the-top operatic and enthusiastic about gay space communism as it is about MU fascism.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

This sounds way better than MU shenanigans. :(

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

This episode was kinda a yawn at parts,, but lol that carl was the being responsible for the time wars

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

This episode was kinda a yawn at parts,, but lol that carl was the being responsible for the time wars

Sounded like he also helped shut that poo poo down.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

-In one ep someone calls Michael the best there is, and that she hasn’t achieved full greatness yet
-Gotta love alt Michael achieving all her goals, having the Empress at phaser point... now gonna hold this position until help arrives...
-“I was gone 3 months!” I legit thought it was maybe three days.
-try counting the number of cuts during fight scenes. You’ll lose track quick

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
all the actors involved are doing what they can to make this Georgiou arc work but jfc you established in S1 that she was a genocidal dictator, don’t try to shove down my throat the notion that she’s a sympathetic antihero who deserves redemption

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.inverse.com/entertainment/star-trek-discovery-guardian-forever-carl-sagan

Let's play "guess the S31 show premise" - I figure she's either going to reform S31 post-DS9 or just form the whole dang thing pre-ENT

Given how they set up a post-control S31 with *sigh* Ash Tyler at the end of season 2, there’s basically no way she doesn’t end up back in the 2250s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Given how they set up a post-control S31 with *sigh* Ash Tyler at the end of season 2, there’s basically no way she doesn’t end up back in the 2250s.

It also means they can now use all those surplus Disco props after they upgraded to the 32nd Century toys.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

the only way i can make a 23rd-century section 31 show interesting in my head is setting it just after balance of terror and having it be focused on tal shiar vs s31 spy poo poo in the TOS era

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It also means they can now use all those surplus Disco props after they upgraded to the 32nd Century toys.

They've been using them in Picard, too. The bridge of the Federation starship in the final episode was the Discovery bridge with some mood lighting and different computer displays. (spoiler if you haven't watched Picard, I guess)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lum_ posted:

They've been using them in Picard, too. The bridge of the Federation starship in the final episode was the Discovery bridge with some mood lighting and different computer displays. (spoiler if you haven't watched Picard, I guess)

Minor nitpick looking at the uniform there; If they're gonna migrate the pips to the chest like that, why didn't they put them in that black detail stripe in the "old" uniforms where it might've made sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DaveKap posted:

Spoiler for this episode:

Woof. They get 2 takes Frakes on this?

I was dying faster than Michael when I saw that sword glitching through her body worse than poo poo I've seen in video games. How the hell does that make it through production?