Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Biggus Dickus posted:

At least someone's offering advice for next year...
Ant Middleton's Be Prepared For 2021

I imagine it'll be more preppers and stockpiling than EU Business Regs for Small Business though.

My avatar has some questions for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020

Grey Hunter posted:

It might be the camera angle but has he put some weight on?

Also, how about you feed some kids from, you know, the government budget you idiot!

He's actually always been a fat gently caress, he just wears oversized suit jackets for the optical illusion of being slim and tall, and thus eccentric as opposed to owner baron.

Note the straining button on the left.

Ain't none of that flowing freely from chest to waist, it's all filled, again straining button lower left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What the gently caress so jacob rees mogg is a pot bellied goblin with stick legs?

How do you even get a figure like that? I have chunky legs because I have to carry the rest of me around?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think you answered that question for yourself.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

OwlFancier posted:

How do you even get a figure like that? I have chunky legs because I have to carry the rest of me around?

Cystic Fibrosis is one way but I can't recommend it.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

OwlFancier posted:

What the gently caress so jacob rees mogg is a pot bellied goblin with stick legs?

Imagine having to carry oneself around! On ones own legs! Ho ho!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I entirely believe that jacob rees mogg makes his children and nanny carry him around the house on a palanquin.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

He’s actually sat on top of one of his kids shoulders in that picture, that’s why he wears such a big jacket

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Why are tories so poo poo at dressing themselves considering the piles of money they're sitting on. have they not heard of a thing called 'tailoring'.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the jacket is big to hide the fact that he is actually a victorian steampunk clockwork automaton

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You just reminded me that Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs exists.

Probably a quite on-point game for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Jf2veueGQ&t=1264s

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 17, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Why are tories so poo poo at dressing themselves considering the piles of money they're sitting on. have they not heard of a thing called 'tailoring'.

Putting effort into tailoring is for the ghastly nouveau-riche. The truly posh are secure enough to dress like a charity shop and/or a child going through their parents' wardrobe.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Nutapii posted:

He's actually always been a fat gently caress, he just wears oversized suit jackets for the optical illusion of being slim and tall, and thus eccentric as opposed to owner baron.
Note the straining button on the left.
Ain't none of that flowing freely from chest to waist, it's all filled, again straining button lower left.
Oh my god, this is breaking my brain. I always saw him as very much being a Thin Man in a top hat.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

You just reminded me that Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs exists.

Probably a quite on-point game for the thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Jf2veueGQ&t=1264s

Wasn't that game supposed to be a big letdown after the first? I got it in a giveaway years back but never tried it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Convex posted:

Wasn't that game supposed to be a big letdown after the first? I got it in a giveaway years back but never tried it.

As far as I gather it's less of a game than the first amnesia, you do less hiding from the monsters and less puzzle solving, more of a walking simulator, basically. But as I watched it as an LP (because I don't really enjoy the hide and seek monster puzzler genre particularly) I didn't really notice it that much. And I will say I really do like the story of it.

Basically the guy finds a magical doodad that shows him the 20th century, he goes "oh poo poo" and builds a hellish steampunk machine to turn everyone on the planet into pigs, because he believes that that is preferable to them facing the horrors of the 20th century, then he wakes up with amnesia and you take control, trying to figure out where he is and what's happening (thereby discovering the first bit) and you turn the machine off because you decide that it is better for people to have the chance to build something afterwards even if the future will contain absolute horror.

As I said, quite on point for the thread. Also very atmospheric and well voice acted.

Quite a good video on the game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItRToZLJKQ

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 17, 2020

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Without the tremendous power of child Labour, titans of intellect such as Jacob Rees Mogg would never be able to get around and that would be terrible

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Bobstar posted:

Putting effort into tailoring is for the ghastly nouveau-riche. The truly posh are secure enough to dress like a charity shop and/or a child going through their parents' wardrobe.

This reminds me of The loving Fulfords, an old money bunch with apparently no money left. Someone made a TV show about them some years back.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I entirely believe that jacob rees mogg makes his children and nanny carry him around the house on a palanquin.
There's a tradition, most famously in 19th century caricature, of depicting the powerful with body shapes like

e.g.

famously extended to general concepts as well as people

because as long as plentiful food (for me) and carriages have been around, there's people who have ended up like that from a combination of wealth and idleness. And what is JRM if not that.

e:

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Without the tremendous power of child Labour, titans of intellect such as Jacob Rees Mogg would never be able to get around and that would be terrible

:lol:

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can't remember the last time I interacted with a ring binder.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Lungboy posted:

This reminds me of The loving Fulfords, an old money bunch with apparently no money left. Someone made a TV show about them some years back.

Wikipedia posted:

With their mansion becoming increasingly dilapidated and the family in financial difficulty, Francis Fulford concocts several elaborate schemes to make money. The schemes include using a metal detector to search the family's 3000-acre estate for treasure, searching for telephone cables so that he can invoice British Telecom, selling guided tours of the mansion, conjuring up stories of ghosts and harvesting trees. Meanwhile, his wife Kishanda tries to solve the family's financial difficulties by gambling on horse races.

Oblivious to the family's turmoil, the four Fulford children entertain themselves by fighting, indoor cricket, throwing mud at each other or watching television. At one point in the episode, Kishanda becomes so angry with her children, she picks up the television set carries it outside and throws it into a lake.

Thanks, guess I'm all set for trash TV this weekend :allears:

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Without the tremendous power of child Labour

:thunk:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As far as I gather it's less of a game than the first amnesia, you do less hiding from the monsters and less puzzle solving, more of a walking simulator, basically. But as I watched it as an LP (because I don't really enjoy the hide and seek monster puzzler genre particularly) I didn't really notice it that much. And I will say I really do like the story of it.

Basically the guy finds a magical doodad that shows him the 20th century, he goes "oh poo poo" and builds a hellish steampunk machine to turn everyone on the planet into pigs, because he believes that that is preferable to them facing the horrors of the 20th century, then he wakes up with amnesia and you take control, trying to figure out where he is and what's happening (thereby discovering the first bit) and you turn the machine off because you decide that it is better for people to have the chance to build something afterwards even if the future will contain absolute horror.

As I said, quite on point for the thread. Also very atmospheric and well voice acted.

Quite a good video on the game here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OItRToZLJKQ

More to the point, the game makes it clear that only a particularly warped sort of patriarchal narcissism would see this idea as preferable to what actually happened in the twentieth century, and that it's largely motivated by the industrialist protagonist throwing a protofascist temper-tantrum after being faced with the loss of his family's power and status - if the world's going to end, it's going to end on his terms. It's an anti-steampunk story, showing us the bizarre and horrifying places the Victorian imperialist mindset would have taken us if it had been allowed to grow and fester uninterrupted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Thanks, guess I'm all set for trash TV this weekend :allears:
Did... did any of them try getting a job? :ohdear:

e: lmao of course

quote:

Fulford is currently a member of the UK Independence Party.

e2: ^^^ re 'anti-steampunk', easily the worst thing about steampunk is that it completely ignored the 'punk' bit in most incarnations. Like there's so much interesting 19th century working class politics, half of the figures involved literally wrote the book on it, and Kropotkin specifically had a steampunk idea of liberation through automation in the 1890s, but no, let's all give ourselves fake imperial titles and have zeppelin cavalry.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 17, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sanitary Naptime posted:

The future leader of the party.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

E: :chanpop:

I’ve only just gotten over this, how dare you

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The future leader of the party.

With any luck the party becomes proscribed before he has a chance, after Germany invades us to take down Patel’s mask-off fascist regime in the 2030s

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
god BBC news is such a loving shitshow

they had a glowing report on some foodbank which was really ~*~making a difference~*~ and no-one involved was allowed to come within a mile of saying "hey maybe relying on private charity isn't actually the best way of dealing with this"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanitary Naptime posted:

mask-off fascist regime

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sanitary Naptime posted:

E: :chanpop:

With any luck the party becomes proscribed before he has a chance, after Germany invades us to take down Patel’s mask-off fascist regime in the 2030s

Brooms have no moving parts so the Germans definitely have a leg up on the UK.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Did... did any of them try getting a job? :ohdear:

quote:

Meanwhile, his wife Kishanda tries to solve the family's financial difficulties by gambling on horse races.

What does your heart tell you?

Reminds me of a story I once heard of a friend of a friend who'd always talk, in all seriousness, about all the things she'll do when - not 'if', 'when' - she wins the lottery.

She'd never even buy lottery tickets.

She was just convinced that someone else would buy them and win.

And then share the money with her.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Sanitary Naptime posted:

It was either that or saying that was clearly Sixtus riding on Septimus' shoulders in an overcoat pretending to be their dad.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
So let me get this right. One of the key sticking points in brexit negotiations is our conservative overlords, champions of the free market and small government are willing to go to the wall for the freedom to provide state subsidies to businesses?

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

god BBC news is such a loving shitshow

they had a glowing report on some foodbank which was really ~*~making a difference~*~ and no-one involved was allowed to come within a mile of saying "hey maybe relying on private charity isn't actually the best way of dealing with this"

That's what always gets me about praising charities as be-all end-all ultimate good instead of a temporary band-aid - the sheer cynicism of refusing to acknowledge that the key prerequisite for charities existing in the first place is the imbalance of some having more than they need at the expense of others having less.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Endjinneer posted:

So let me get this right. One of the key sticking points in brexit negotiations is our conservative overlords, champions of the free market and small government are willing to go to the wall for the freedom to provide state subsidies to businesses?

Yes, one of the main bits of why some of the Left hated the EU has been adopted as a hill to die on by the Tories.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I mean in general if we'd had a Corbyn government for the last year doing exactly what the Tories have done we"d have the press screaming about literal Communism

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
If it was a Corbyn govt talking now about Brexit, you would have Boris and Farage at the white cliffs of dover calling for shooting down anything that comes close.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Endjinneer posted:

I mean if you remember that state aid doesn't necessarily mean direct cash injections but also selective tax breaks and sweetheart tax agreements it entirely tracks that the Tories are chomping at the bit to start cutting deals with companies who just so happen to be run by their mates to "stimulate progress"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean if you remember that state aid doesn't necessarily mean direct cash injections but also selective tax breaks and sweetheart tax agreements it entirely tracks that the Tories are chomping at the bit to start cutting deals with companies who just so happen to be run by their mates to "stimulate progress"

Yes, state aid is absolutely a tory policy, it's the tory policy of the last year in fact, it's just that they only give it to people they met at and/or run their pub.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
cock piss Tories, that's what I say :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Endjinneer posted:

I maybe reading this wrong, but loving hell its more farcical than that.
The UK wants the right to tell the EU what it can and can not fund or invest in.
Take any product or service, if the UK wants to make it and sell, the EU can't invest money in that same product anywhere within the EU as that would be making competition against the UK.