Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Tweak posted:

Sohla’s sad birthday came out on my son’s second birthday :smith:

happy birthday to your boy! im sure a two-year-old would climb on top of sohla's sad cake and try and eat their way to the bottom and fail miserably happily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wasn’t sure why Sohla didn’t put one long dowel down the ‘middle’ (the spot where all the layers overlapped) of the tower for extra stability.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

She was putting cardboard rounds between every few layers. I'm bad at cakes but I think that's to ensure a flat surface? It'd probably make putting a dowl down the center hard. Even still if the cake leaned too much it's still gonna break away from the dowl.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Sohla torturing Babish is the best way to view Babish

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the bit at the end was hilarious (spoilers i guess)

so what's the sad part?
it's banana
but I can't eat bana oh :(

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I think I've posted this lady before but these vids of her cooking insane amounts of vegetarian food to feed her entire village are really good and quite relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tflTpuMzFIA

E: also I have no practical use for it but I want one of those big potato machines.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 16, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Granny is good, her kids are also good. It's so wholesome. :3:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

that's amazing!

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMXvAjH0Nco

This one is less cooking and more culinary history. Alex starts digging into the Mother Sauces and creates a poo poo storm on Wikipedia.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
Warning: he's an extremely annoying Frenchman without a culinary background. Probably fun for big alton and babish fans though.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

the guy rewrites a wikipedia article and it is immediately reverted lol

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI3mEx5FmH-/?igshid=1k0vwfq03ou5o

Guess this goes along with Claire getting the best production people.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

also I have no practical use for it but I want one of those big potato machines.

I too aspire to have a backyard filled with devices that allow for mass cooking, with the centerpiece being one of those smokers big enough to require its own trailer.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cmPOjgZyHE

:hellyeah:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the chocolate tempering

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

it feels like Sohla's husband is basically her producer now and the home videos are getting a lot better with the extra camera work

Manwich
Oct 3, 2002

Grrrrah
I like the subtle shade Rick throws about how easy it is to temper chocolate.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Manwich posted:

I like the subtle shade Rick throws about how easy it is to temper chocolate.

It was subtle until the stinger at the end, lol. Not gonna lie, I'm on board for it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

droll posted:

Warning: he's an extremely annoying Frenchman without a culinary background. Probably fun for big alton and babish fans though.

Who hurt you, you miserable bastard?

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014

Shrapnig posted:

Who hurt you, you miserable bastard?

Same. I think Alex is super charming.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Watching Matty Matheson scream at and cough on his food is fun as hell. I'm never making any of his recipes.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

GrandmaParty posted:

Watching Matty Matheson scream at and cough on his food is fun as hell. I'm never making any of his recipes.

:hai:

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

GrandmaParty posted:

I lost all hope for that even he put sugar in his pizza sauce

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Stelio Kontos posted:

Same. I think Alex is super charming.

Alex has a certain kind of obsessive madness that I like.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrandmaParty posted:

Watching him make hot chicken and cole slaw was loads of fun but that cole slaw looked gloopy and terrible to me. Still a great watch.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

David Chang: A Dick

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

David Chang posted:

“I will scalp you,” Dave screamed. “I will murder your loving family!”

“While I do not recall these specific instances, they are entirely consistent with my behavior at the time"

What the loving gently caress?

The part where it mentions he loves to talk about liking Bud Light and Dominoes. No poo poo. I've never worked in a restaurant, but I'm pretty sure the last thing I'd wanna do when getting home is cook more. I even remember an episode of No Reservations where Bourdain mentioned his death row last meal would probably be KFC.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

I recently re-read Bourdain's Medium Raw (2010, so likely right at the height of Momofuku madness?) and Tony profiles Dave Chang in it a bit. His takeaway was he was an explosively angry and hostile boss but talented, IIRC

e: not that it is cool or acceptable for anyone to be a massive dick to their coworkers much less subordinates

Eat This Glob fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 22, 2020

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I worked as a dishwasher in a "casual" cafe for like 4 months and the boss does scream at you to move your rear end and threaten to pulverize you and you see the veins popping out. It was normal and sucked. Imagine the kitchen introduction scene in Ratatouille but not funny.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I still listen to Chang's podcasts even though he's kind of insufferable on them. He talks about his bipolar disorder and getting treatment for his anger issues, so it's on his radar. Doesn't excuse the past though, and maybe there hasn't been much improvement.

xtal fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 23, 2020

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
That ending tho

quote:

What does restitution look like to those of us harmed by Dave and what he built? Yes, it was different then, and our culture has changed, and I understand that he is working toward becoming a better person. I also believe that he owes a tithe beyond an apology. (Releasing every former employee from any nondisclosure agreement that prevents them from talking about what they experienced at Momofuku might be a start.) For all that Dave has edited in and out of this narrative, what he cannot change is the trauma left in his wake. The one thing he can offer up that is commensurate with the scope and scale of the grief he has caused is the space he occupies in restaurants and in culture: He can cede it to someone who will use it to change this toxic industry that has broken so many of us.

Sounds like he does have other people running the restaurants on site now.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Mu Zeta posted:

I worked as a dishwasher in a "casual" cafe for like 4 months and the boss does scream at you to move your rear end and threaten to pulverize you and you see the veins popping out. It was normal and sucked. Imagine the kitchen introduction scene in Ratatouille but not funny.

The restaurant industry is one of the most exploitative and abusive industries of contemporary western capitalism. There's a whole other thread for people that live it, in this very subforum. Babish' tatts are cool though.

tinytort
Jun 10, 2013

Super healthy, super cheap

Fartington Butts posted:

The part where it mentions he loves to talk about liking Bud Light and Dominoes. No poo poo. I've never worked in a restaurant, but I'm pretty sure the last thing I'd wanna do when getting home is cook more. I even remember an episode of No Reservations where Bourdain mentioned his death row last meal would probably be KFC.

I think her point isn't that a chef should be expected to want something cheffy and fancy to eat, but that he uses his professed fondness for Bud Light and Domino's (both everyman brands) as part of managing his image and making himself seem less like an rear end in a top hat who needs to actually apologize and atone for his abusive behavior, and more like a Cool Chef whose abuse is just something you have to accept if you want great food.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Veskit posted:

I lost all hope for that even he put sugar in his pizza sauce
next you'll say you are allergic to the MSG they put in chinese take out

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Adding plain sugar to something that isn't baked or dessert is just a failure of cooking skill and quality ingredients. Or laziness which is fine too.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Technically pizza sauce is baked

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

xtal posted:

Adding plain sugar to something that isn't baked or dessert is just a failure of cooking skill and quality ingredients. Or laziness which is fine too.
if your sauce is too sour you bang a bit of sugar in to tip it back, dont be such a smug oval office about food.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Qmass fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 23, 2020

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Qmass posted:

next you'll say you are allergic to the MSG they put in chinese take out

lol that’s like racist adjacent.

A different Italian grandmother cries for every grain of sugar put into a pizza sauce though. Why won’t anyone think of all the grand-ma-mas out there.

Did anyone have sugar in the pizza sauce for their honeypot cooking triggers bingo card?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Veskit posted:

lol that’s like racist adjacent.
nah its straight up racist... and complete bullshit - thats the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Adding sugar when cooking seems to be a pretty common step in a lot of Chinese (traditional and westernized) and Japanese cuisine to balance out flavours. Adding sugar to pizza sauce also seems pretty common among respected chefs -- I know Kenji does it in his serious eats recipe for pizzas, and you can see him do it in a lot of meals (when appropriate) he makes in his videos.