Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

god drat some of yall are stupid, no one is saying that we should take trucks away from farmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Rural has vehicles still. If they need to do something in town they drive to the train station and take it in. If we just superimpose small changes on the current paradigm and look for ways it can't possibly work we would never realize change is possible.

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

PookBear posted:

god drat some of yall are stupid, no one is saying that we should take trucks away from farmers.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flying_Crab posted:

That’s a minority of the US population, nobody is saying they can’t drive in rural areas. Stop making up ridiculous arguments here. Rural areas existed before sprawl and people drove or used horses, took trains (and yes basically any significant town was served by interurban rail lines in the Midwest and East Coast pre-car).

On the other hand half the US population shouldn’t be driving 20-50 miles from their trashy McMansion to their downtown job and back every day, it’s just bad all around.

It's because you (and some others) are acting like a smug rear end in a top hat about people's "car dependency" and then handwaving away people who are actually dependent on their car (hint: I am speaking from experience).

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
Why are we taking about this.

Have this dumb poo poo instead.

https://twitter.com/jaapstronks/status/1336633995212304390?s=19

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PookBear posted:

I’m cracking myself up imagining a farmer in coveralls longboarding through a field with a bushel of apples strapped to his back with the caption of “this is the future liberals want”

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Rural has vehicles still. If they need to do something in town they drive to the train station and take it in. If we just superimpose small changes on the current paradigm and look for ways it can't possibly work we would never realize change is possible.

this is literally what I do when I go to Chicago

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FYI when we're talking about cities, we're not talking about loving Fayetteville

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Small rural areas would also see benefit to increasing pop density. Preventing spread in fire/flood zones, maintaining wilderness or ag. Would also see gains in service and infrastructure efficiency.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's because you (and some others) are acting like a smug rear end in a top hat about people's "car dependency" and then handwaving away people who are actually dependent on their car (hint: I am speaking from experience).

Either you’re not arguing in good faith or you simply don’t know what we mean by “car dependency”. If you don’t live in a truly rural area (i.e. the people and places you mentioned) driving should be an option for your daily life, that’s all we’re saying.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

it's a very hard fight in the US. suburbs are just the modern industrial form of the settler-colonial pattern. we gotta give a bunch of people land or the promise thereof, and the right to kill people on their land, initially so that they'll toil, kill, and die to seed the continent with productive infrastructure, and always so that they buy into the broader societal scam. it can't last forever - eventually we'll go the way of Rome and Rhodesia - but i think it could definitely last another generation.

I don't know where you got this from, but it's pretty hilarious, as a historian.

It's also bullshit.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Flying_Crab posted:

Videos of Ansterdam

Nice dodge, you didn't answer my question which leads me to believe I'm right.

I mean, we could go back to living the way my grandmother grew up in the rural midwest. In the winter time, they just didn't go to town, had maybe 3 sets of clothes, and outdoor plumbing.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

lightpole posted:

Small rural areas would also see benefit to increasing pop density. Preventing spread in fire/flood zones, maintaining wilderness or ag. Would also see gains in service and infrastructure efficiency.

This was the norm before WWII:

For those non-city/train nerds an Interurban was basically a slightly larger electric streetcar that went from large city downtowns to small towns in the region surrounding it, they were commonplace all over the US. Go to Europe and they still have train service like that, it works.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Pine Cone Jones posted:

Why are we taking about this.

Have this dumb poo poo instead.

https://twitter.com/jaapstronks/status/1336633995212304390?s=19

one of the reasons the IOT is bad and dumb

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I didn't want to take away every dipshits car at gun point but you dumb fucks are starting to talk me into it

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
suburban sprawl sucks rear end and it would be great to get to a point where the majority of people in the united states do not require a car for most things. nobody is trying to take your cars away, they just want to not loving rely on one.

cars are goddamn expensive to maintain, especially old ones, and without one in most major places you're poo poo out of luck.

we're just trying to say we should improve society somewhat, stop being a fuckin clown and thinking we're going to take all your drat cars away

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I hope my initial post didn't come across that way. Fighting for those burdened by car dependence is one of the principle motivators for us in the "war on cars" crowd. Cars are expensive to buy expensive to fuel and maintain, expensive to store--car dependency inflicts these costs on those least able to afford it. Nobody's arguing that folks who need (or just want) cars for their lives shouldn't have access, just that we should be taking steps to free as many people as possible from that necessity.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

PeterCat posted:

I mean, we could go back to living the way my grandmother grew up in the rural midwest. In the winter time, they just didn't go to town, had maybe 3 sets of clothes, and outdoor plumbing.

drat, it’d be terrible if the two options were what we see now in the US and also this option.

That’d be just a terrible and stupid dichotomy if it existed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1339709639584337920

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Flying_Crab posted:

Either you’re not arguing in good faith or you simply don’t know what we mean by “car dependency”. If you don’t live in a truly rural area (i.e. the people and places you mentioned) driving should be an option for your daily life, that’s all we’re saying.

Look, I'm sorry, I just got set off when I tried to talk about my experience living in a rural area and you made that post about cities and sprawl. Like I said before, I'm all for public transportation and reducing dependency on cars, because it is important from an economic and environmental standpoint. And hell, if you want to talk about frustration over a lack of public transportation options, I grew up in the Detroit area, and I wish we had anything even half as good as what other cities like DC have. But when people talk about getting rid of cars, even jokingly, it can be frustrating when I've personally seen what having a car and not having a car looks like in these rural areas.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey season finale of The Mandalorian drops tomorrow along with the rest of the soundtrack for season 2...so something good.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
https://twitter.com/ashiinu/status/1339398787278598145?s=20

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Your good (great) favorite President is a baby back bitch

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Someone who's uncomfortable with living around minorities and buys a house in a heavily subsidized suburb with no transport options is only "car dependent" because of choices they have made, and if they are priced out of driving their lifted pickup 30 miles each way to work because of policy changes ... too bad? Literally no one is talking about taking cars/trucks away from rural farmers, and it's also relatively insignificant compared to suburban commuter traffic.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 18, 2020

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Someone who's uncomfortable with living around minorities and buys a house in a heavily subsidized suburb with no transport options is only "car dependent" because of choices they have made, and if they are priced out of driving their lifted pickup 30 miles each way to work because of policy changes ... too bad? Literally no one is talking about taking cars/trucks away from rural farmers, and it's also relatively insignificant compared to suburban commuter traffic.

Precisely what I was getting at right here.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

me, getting ready to confiscate acebuckeye's car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBz1Q8iC_Ho

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

PookBear posted:

me, getting ready to confiscate acebuckeye's car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBz1Q8iC_Ho

it's a beat-up 2006 Ford 500 with torn seats, a hole in the rear bumper, a power-steering fluid leak, and nearly 200,000 miles on the odometer so to a degree you'd actually be doing me a favor

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1339729112571797509?s=21

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1339687934945939457

Ontario is posting record numbers of infected. Just lunacy

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/1339687934945939457

Ontario is posting record numbers of infected. Just lunacy

But what the gently caress about Hanukah Harry?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Hey season finale of The Mandalorian drops tomorrow along with the rest of the soundtrack for season 2...so something good.

Yeah that’s all well and good but I’m going to be pissed if Mando doesn’t take off his helmet and speak directly into the camera about the need for sustainable transport infrastructure in Coruscant.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Here's a transportation subject we can all agree on:

https://twitter.com/ddayen/status/1339722248404443136?s=20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Flying_Crab posted:

get used to four years of this type of arguing about literally every subject because its now impossible to change anything

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Yeah that’s all well and good but I’m going to be pissed if Mando doesn’t take off his helmet and speak directly into the camera about the need for sustainable transport infrastructure in Coruscant.

:golfclap:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1339730530661789696

cool cool cool

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Mr. President I'm glad we can agree, we aren't putting up with you trying to steal the election. Now gently caress off.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Proud Christian Mom posted:

get used to four years of this type of arguing about literally every subject because its now impossible to change anything
Or folks could not cave into masturbatory nihilism and actually get involved in their local communities. There's real opportunity for a small number of folks to drive change that will make a real impact in the lives of those around them simply by turning up at neighborhood organization or city committee meetings to balance out the cranky boomers that are vocally committed to things never changing.

Even if it just makes life better for one person, it's still better than endlessly reciting "lol, nothing matters"

:shrug:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1339742267981099011?s=20

If Trump had done anything to get a direct payment passed and a check in people's hands during the summer he would've won

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Nick Soapdish posted:

If Trump had done anything to get a direct payment passed and a check in people's hands during the summer he would've won

You're right! That said, he didn't do nothing, he just yelled enough about it and sent the scummy letters to people for people to link what they got to him. He never put in the *actual* work to get Senate Republicans to move.

Democrats aren't being outflanked to the left - Republicans are imposing an arbitrary ceiling on the bill or they're not voting for it. Most Republicans are perfectly happy with doing nothing right now. The only reason anything is happening because Ossoff/Warnock are absolutely blitzing Perdue/Loffler on it and it's freaking out Senate Republicans. Donnie's just being Donnie because he's not even involved and has no idea what Senate Republicans want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/1339742267981099011?s=20

I'll gladly spend it buying wood, tools and weed.