Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Wall to wall carpet. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

All that space behind the toilet and they put the TP tower in front. I guess it was too tall.

The way the tank goes into the wall reminds me of these shelves:

Some of them seem to leave more room above the tank, but still seems like a tight fit for any repairs to the toilet. I was in a airbnb where I'm not sure you would be able to get the lid off even.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Permanent poo poo towels, nailed to the walls.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Guy Axlerod posted:

All that space behind the toilet and they put the TP tower in front. I guess it was too tall.

The way the tank goes into the wall reminds me of these shelves:

Some of them seem to leave more room above the tank, but still seems like a tight fit for any repairs to the toilet. I was in a airbnb where I'm not sure you would be able to get the lid off even.

My mother in law had a counter over her toilet tank, but it had been made to be relatively easy to release and remove for service, which was nice.

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Darchangel posted:

My mother in law had a counter over her toilet tank, but it had been made to be relatively easy to release and remove for service, which was nice.

Ugh gently caress, my apartment has this stupid shelf and you can not get the lid off the tank.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Brings new meaning to the term "poo poo shelf" at the very least.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Messadiah posted:

Ugh gently caress, my apartment has this stupid shelf and you can not get the lid off the tank.

I once found in a rental place that the toilet cistern was only accessible by sliding a massive, 7ft long quartz slab shelf out from the wall and carefully negotiating it out of the bathroom.

And the toilet flush was one of those push button ones which gets clogged with limescale and unreliable after a few years, jamming open.

Just the kind of thing you want to deal with when you need to leave for work.

wooger fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 18, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

I once found in a rental place that the toilet cistern was only accessible by sliding a massive, 7ft long quartz slab shelf out from the wall and carefully negotiating it out of the bathroom.

And the toilet flush was one of those push button ones which gets clogged with limescale and unreliable after a few years, jamming open.

Just the kind of thing you want to deal with when you need to leave for work.

That sucks rear end, but next time just close the valve that provides water to the toilet, and deal with it when you get home.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

That sucks rear end, but next time just close the valve that provides water to the toilet, and deal with it when you get home.

You think that wasn’t also inside the wall cavity?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

wooger posted:

You think that wasn’t also inside the wall cavity?

:psyduck: yeah okay, uhhhhh, bust that loving wall open, close the valve, then deal with the busted toilet and the drywall repair later? Jesus.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

I have a shelf in both my full bathrooms like that one, except it's laid out so I can get to the valve and get the lid off the toilet. I'm not sure whether the original builders or the previous owner were responsible for that piece of attention to detail, but boy am I grateful. Is there even space to remove the toilet if there isn't space to get the lid off? I've never replaced a whole throne before.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

wesleywillis posted:

Permanent poo poo towels, nailed to the walls.

They started out white.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

They started out white.

How did they got into the corners?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

Small hands

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Spoken like someone who has never been responsible for a public restroom. They'll get it everywhere. :itwaspoo:

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Rosebudding

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7pz7CqWTMs

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Dedication.

Reeeeeaally was hoping for a little extra squirt at the end, just for humor factor.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

:psyduck: yeah okay, uhhhhh, bust that loving wall open, close the valve, then deal with the busted toilet and the drywall repair later? Jesus.

You think it was a stud wall?
And in a rental, nope.

It was easier to shut off water to the whole flat and deal with it later. Until I got shredded and could do it as a morning post-poo poo warmup routine.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

I've got this work of genius at the office:

The building owners decided that wanted a carpet from the door to the elevator, and now the door gets stuck on the carpet. Stays in that position all day unless someone pushes it shut.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nostalgamus posted:

The building owners decided that wanted a carpet from the door to the elevator, and now the door gets stuck on the carpet. Stays in that position all day unless someone pushes it shut.

I know a lot of this stuff looks insane, and it kinda is. But when you understand the financial motivation and the numbers involved a lot of it makes sense again. Sure they should have done something so the door closes. Maybe they even will. But in the end leaving that door open to the outside all year long is cheaper than would could happen if that rug wasn't there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxu5tlra0c0

Jows
May 8, 2002

Nostalgamus posted:

Does the door hit the light, too? Or is that an illusion due to the camera angle?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Jows posted:

Does the door hit the light, too? Or is that an illusion due to the camera angle?

That's just the camera angle, the lamp is several metres away from the door.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Motronic posted:

I know a lot of this stuff looks insane, and it kinda is. But when you understand the financial motivation and the numbers involved a lot of it makes sense again. Sure they should have done something so the door closes. Maybe they even will. But in the end leaving that door open to the outside all year long is cheaper than would could happen if that rug wasn't there.

Yeah, incentives get weird as the numbers get bigger. Which makes it all the crazier when employers cheap on toilet paper and coffee.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Empty Sandwich posted:

the standard way to open them is by running them over, iirc

Holy poo poo, you weren’t kidding.

Wikipedia posted:

The extraction of the kernel from the fruit of the black walnut is difficult. The thick, hard shell is tightly bound by tall ridges to a thick husk. Rolling the nut underfoot on a hard surface such as a driveway is a common method; commercial huskers use a car tire rotating against a metal mesh.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

An excavator of the 'right size' to yank out a stump can be cost prohibitive depending upon the size of the stump.
When I was a kid my father decided to remove a tree from the front yard. I don't remember what kind of tree it was, but I remember it took my father several days to manually dig out as much of the root system as he could. His plan was to save money by digging it out and then pull it free by looping a tow rope around it and pull it out with the car.

In the end he had to pay for a digger anyway, and also for a shop to replace the car's clutch. :v:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Collateral Damage posted:

When I was a kid my father decided to remove a tree from the front yard. I don't remember what kind of tree it was, but I remember it took my father several days to manually dig out as much of the root system as he could. His plan was to save money by digging it out and then pull it free by looping a tow rope around it and pull it out with the car.

In the end he had to pay for a digger anyway, and also for a shop to replace the car's clutch. :v:

I've seen videos where the stump comes out and flies majestically through the car's rear windshield. This approach seems like a poor proposition overall.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

This is crappy, and it is related to construction
https://twitter.com/AndrewFeinberg/status/1341061092685082626
lmao some white house staffer is really mad about modernism

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I hope they don't build many Federal Buildings in the next 30 days!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Elviscat posted:

I hope they don't build many Federal Buildings in the next 30 days!

Lmao dude this isn't about 2020. Think four years in advance.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Lmao dude this isn't about 2020. Think four years in advance.

I'm not sure what you think this was, but it's an executive order. It's just another one on the list that will be reversed within the first 30 days of the new administration. Executive orders are trivial to rescind.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I've seen videos where the stump comes out and flies majestically through the car's rear windshield. This approach seems like a poor proposition overall.

I've pulled out a bunch of small trees with my truck, it's just important to limit yourself to small trees and work slowly, otherwise you have to do a ton of work digging and cutting roots or you will break something that isn't the tree. It also helps if you have the trunk of the tree so you have leverage on the roots vs just pulling on a short stump.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Motronic posted:

I'm not sure what you think this was, but it's an executive order. It's just another one on the list that will be reversed within the first 30 days of the new administration. Executive orders are trivial to rescind.

Trump is gonna run in 2024. Or one of his surrogate offspring.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Trump is gonna run in 2024. Or one of his surrogate offspring.
4 years after this eo is reversed, making it a pretty absurd and pointless eo. But stuff like this tends to be about signaling things to the base more than anything else.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Slugworth posted:

4 years after this eo is reversed, making it a pretty absurd and pointless eo. But stuff like this tends to be about signaling things to the base more than anything else.

Yeah it's not about the staying power of the EO. it's about setting a scene and a precedent for what is coming next time they have a shot.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nostalgamus posted:

I there a seal under the door? If you remove that it might give the door enough clearance to slide over the carpet.

Ordinarily I wouldn't suggest that because you'd end up getting drafts. But, well.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I there a seal under the door? If you remove that it might give the door enough clearance to slide over the carpet.

Ordinarily I wouldn't suggest that because you'd end up getting drafts. But, well.

If there's enough clearance at the top for the door to be shimmed or the pivot raised it won't be a big deal to get it working. You do want to have the door mechanics or folks with experience to do it, though; doors are particular with a lot of simple tricks you need to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can't they just lower the carpet?