Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Now they say he was under the influence of meth.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime...5nu5UM44smKQcw4

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

TobinHatesYou posted:

For some reason I assumed you were talking about the Crust bikes post and was thinking “If he was on meth you’d think he’d make more bikes not less.”

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

EvilJoven posted:

Things are so very hosed right now for the big players. They're being told that some key OEM components are 600 days out. This is why some bikes we've ordered just aren't coming.

2021 is going to be extremely disappointing for bikes.

I'm not sure what it says about the local market for bikes, but LBSes around Boston have been stocked for bikes for a while. Showroom floors that I can see are pretty full.

I'm guessing there was far less of a pandemic response, that a lot more people who'd be willing to bike were already doing so.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

It's exceedingly cool that we need evidence of impairment before we consider charging a person who murders cyclists / pedestrians with an automobile.

I figured the dead people would be all the evidence needed of wrong-doing, but I'm no lawyer

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i was going to do the festive 500 but then i found out that you don't even get a badge this year

but seriously this winter has been pretty mild and if the forecast isnt totally soaked i might actually try for it, its been years

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 17, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's exceedingly cool that we need evidence of impairment before we consider charging a person who murders cyclists / pedestrians with an automobile.

I figured the dead people would be all the evidence needed of wrong-doing, but I'm no lawyer

That is overly-simplistic and not always the right answer.

There's stuff like previously unknown health conditions resulting in incapacitation. There's also stuff like commercial vehicle maintenance issues leading to brake failure or whatever and that could be the responsibility of the employer, not the driver. Every case requires thorough investigation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

That is overly-simplistic and not always the right answer.

There's stuff like previously unknown health conditions resulting in incapacitation. There's also stuff like commercial vehicle maintenance issues leading to brake failure or whatever and that could be the responsibility of the employer, not the driver. Every case requires thorough investigation.
The vehicle could have been magically transported in front of the cyclist at the last second by a wizard, too. We shouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mystes posted:

The vehicle could have been magically transported in front of the cyclist at the last second by a wizard, too. We shouldn't jump to any hasty conclusions.

So you're saying neither of the scenarios I described are plausible?

Either way, 5 counts of murder, a conviction and a lifetime behind bars for the driver isn't going to bring those people back. It isn't going to do the driver much good and it isn't going to deter people from DWI/DUI.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Dec 18, 2020

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I gotta say this has been basically a perfect week for some chilled out riding.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

Either way, 5 counts of murder, a conviction and a lifetime behind bars for the driver isn't going to bring those people back. It isn't going to do the driver much good and it isn't going to deter people from DWI/DUI.
It's gonna keep one murderous driver off the road
I really DGAF what happens to the driver TBH, as long as they don't get to drive again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

TobinHatesYou posted:

If there are really extenuating circumstances I guess ok, but the default has to be to hold drivers responsible. The possibility of some extremely unlikely event where it's arguably not the driver's fault doesn't really change that. It works in the Netherlands apparently.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Killing pedestrians and cyclists is one of the most reliable ways to kill someone in the US and not get charged with anything so I think it'll work out.

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
One can reasonably assume that most of the time a cyclist is killed or seriously injured by a motor vehicle it's the fault of the driver, but Tobin is right that you can't go and bring serious charges against them without looking into the basics and cancelling out (or confirming) other causes first.

BeastPussy fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 18, 2020

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
We could compromise and start enforcing the clearly distracted/drunk/high, and if over time loads of cyclists/pedestrians are still getting run down start investigations to the outliers. Also we should be holding people to the laws of keeping vehicles road worthy. It's idiotic how many people get murdered by cars and trucks in the US.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

In an ideal world Tobin is 100% right of course.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
Put him on a chain gang building kickass cycling infrastructure.

Edit: The fucker who slaughtered five fine people, not Tobin. Tobin can join the chain gang if he wants.

marshalljim fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 18, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

evil_bunnY posted:

In an ideal world Tobin is 100% right of course.

This isn't about ideals. There's nothing (that I can think of) to gain by rushing to charge the driver a few days earlier without allowing for reports from forensics, toxicology, the coroner, etc. At best, some people save some time. At worst, the wrong charges are filed and the case against the guy is actually weaker for it.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

TobinHatesYou posted:

This isn't about ideals. There's nothing (that I can think of) to gain by rushing to charge the driver a few days earlier without allowing for reports from forensics, toxicology, the coroner, etc. At best, some people save some time. At worst, the wrong charges are filed and the case against the guy is actually weaker for it.

The problem isn't necessarily when you charge him and with what, it's how first responders react.

quote:

While at the scene, Barson told troopers he believed he had fallen asleep behind the wheel. Although he was unsteady on his feet during field sobriety tests, troopers smelled no alcohol on his breath and did not believe he was impaired, body camera footage showed.

“Of course the nine-step walk and turn and the one-leg stand was a disaster, but look how shaky he is,” one trooper told another in the footage.

Police give drivers the benefit of the doubt all the time when bikes are involved. The guy had "an extremely high level of methamphetamine" in his system and the cops on the scene assumed he wasn't impaired because that's their bias. You see it again and again, for example stories like this https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/12/10/anatomy-of-a-crash-cyclist-badly-injured-by-driver-yet-cops-do-nothing/ Law enforcement generally have a pretty clear pro-driver bias, all the way from the first response through sentencing when someone does commit a crime. That absolutely needs to change.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

I'll make time for feeling sorry about the murderous methhead in another life

gohuskies posted:

The problem isn't necessarily when you charge him and with what, it's how first responders react.

Police give drivers the benefit of the doubt all the time when bikes are involved. The guy had "an extremely high level of methamphetamine" in his system and the cops on the scene assumed he wasn't impaired because that's their bias. You see it again and again, for example stories like this https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2020/12/10/anatomy-of-a-crash-cyclist-badly-injured-by-driver-yet-cops-do-nothing/ Law enforcement generally have a pretty clear pro-driver bias, all the way from the first response through sentencing when someone does commit a crime. That absolutely needs to change.

pigs are the worst, what a surprise.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

gohuskies posted:

I initially assumed he wasn't impaired because he seemed quite lucid. The walk-and-turn test was highly questionable however.

But more importantly, how did this hinder the operation/crime scene investigation at all? The right charges were filed...after the toxicology report came back.

I agree that systemic biases need to be accounted for, and this is precisely why this poo poo shouldn't be rushed.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Dec 18, 2020

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’ve handled or seen a handful of claims over the years where a driver has had a serious and sudden medical emergency that has directly resulted in a crash. In one case, a driver had a seizure for the first time in their life and caused a large accident. One thing to be aware of is that in these cases, a first time medical issue often can result in the driver having no liability to the other parties in the accident. Always important to keep up your Medical Payments or Personal Injury Protection coverages from your auto policy as these will apply to you on a bike (or a pedestrian).

I’m not sure why there is much of a disagreement with Tobin’s point that you don’t want to rush to charge someone without having all the facts. This has a lot of potential to hurt a future case.

Literally Lewis Hamilton fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 18, 2020

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Negligent vehicular homicide being an accepted and forgivable by default part of life isn't going to go away until car culture goes away and that isn't going to happen until climate change and global economic downturn make the majority of the first world give up their cars and take public or active transit.

So maybe when we're all old af and riding recumbents and being geriatric badasses like VGV.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

TobinHatesYou posted:

I know what you're trying to say but maybe this isn't a good case do your "well actually" routine without more nuance in your arguments perhaps?

my own post not very nuanced in what I'm trying to say either, bleh

e:

gohuskies posted:

TobinHatesYou posted:

I initially assumed he wasn't impaired because he seemed quite lucid. The walk-and-turn test was highly questionable however.

But more importantly, how did this hinder the operation/crime scene investigation at all? The right charges were filed...after the toxicology report came back.

I agree that systemic biases need to be accounted for, and this is precisely why this poo poo shouldn't be rushed.

I think it can cause bias's in the investigation or will to investigate in some circumstances...my FIL was hit and killed and the police on the scene told everyone and wrote it up as "improper lane change" by the cyclists...but that creates a situation where now you have to prove that wrong, rather than investigate to find out what happened. They end up starting from a place of bias.
And for what it's worth pics of the scene show that all the bikes were fully in the left turn lane before an intersection as they were turning left, the car was smashed on it's left side/corner/windshield, and bikes and bodies tossed into the median. Seems quite unlikely they suddenly changed lanes into the path of a car that didn't have time to stop when you see the aftermath.

didn't matter in the end though...90 year old woman who's daughter had been trying to get her to stop driving, didn't even brake, doesn't matter if you charge her with anything or do anything to her because gently caress she's 90 and has no assets and even if you took her house or something then you're turning out a 90 year old to the streets? bleh

Levitate fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 18, 2020

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Levitate posted:

I know what you're trying to say but maybe this isn't a good case do your "well actually" routine without more nuance in your arguments perhaps?

my own post not very nuanced in what I'm trying to say either, bleh

Did you read my first reply and the post which prompted it?

Tesla Was Robbed
Oct 4, 2002
I AM A LIAR
Seems Diamond Back and Raleigh are discontinuing their corporate discounts. So if you’re in the market for one, grab them now.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

TobinHatesYou posted:

Plausible but statistically I’d say insignificant.

Road rage, inebriation, stumbling for cassette tapes ... etc.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

evil_bunnY posted:

It's gonna keep one murderous driver off the road
I really DGAF what happens to the driver TBH, as long as they don't get to drive again.

Have you EVER heard of a lifetime suspension of driving license?

Me neither.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Started my rebuild on this yesterday.

Found an almost flawless pair of Ultegra 6800 shifters for $75 so that decided the path of my build. I grabbed a matching long cage rear derailleur, 105 hydraulic brakes, Dura-Ace cabling, all the poo poo to convert to hydraulic, Cadence bar tape and some SKS fenders I’m probably gonna return and get PDWs.

Wanted a pair of Ultegra or GRX brakes, but there were none in Portland, I could only find rears. Same for the front derailleur. There was one shop in town that had a GRX front that would work, but they’re closed on Sunday’s apparently. So I’m gonna stick with the 105 that’s on there for now.

Chose the wrong weekend to do this since there’s not enough space in my garage to set up my stand. I had enough time to strip everything in the driveway yesterday before the big rains hit, and then had to relocate to my office and go with the old “seat and bars” work stand. Hope it dries up enough later so when I finally have it all together I can get the brakes bled etc.

Edit: Anything I need to watch out for setting up these brakes? I’ve never done anything with hydraulic brakes on a bike, so any advice would be appreciated.

highme fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Dec 21, 2020

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

VideoGameVet posted:

Me neither.

I've heard of it in those umpteen DUI cases where there's just clearly no effort to change behavior.

Then a few weeks later they get another DUI driving without a license while out on bail before the trial for their last one, etc. etc.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Me neither.
Not in the US no.
In euroland yes, if not lifetime at least multiyear. And driving without a license is a much bigger deal (comparatively).

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Not in the US no.
In euroland yes, if not lifetime at least multiyear. And driving without a license is a much bigger deal (comparatively).

Just read in the news that the Norwegian ex-skier Petter Northug just had his license suspended for life. He was caught speeding four times recently once doing 204 kph in a 80 kph zone. He has a prior conviction from 2014 when he crashed while drunk, ran from the crash and left his injured friend on the front seat. Also probably didn't help they now found cocaine in his house. I'm not in Norway so can't say how common this is over there.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

TobinHatesYou posted:

I initially assumed he wasn't impaired because he seemed quite lucid.

It shouldn't matter whether they're impaired or not.

Commercial vehicle maintenance failures or medical emergencies aside, killing people with your vehicle is a clear indicator that you aren't responsible enough to hold a license and it should be suspended pending training or revoked for a lifetime.

People take driving entirely too lightly in this country, and unless people are punished for not taking their responsibilities seriously, they won't take their responsibilities seriously.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

highme posted:

Started my rebuild on this yesterday.

Found an almost flawless pair of Ultegra 6800 shifters for $75 so that decided the path of my build. I grabbed a matching long cage rear derailleur, 105 hydraulic brakes, Dura-Ace cabling, all the poo poo to convert to hydraulic, Cadence bar tape and some SKS fenders I’m probably gonna return and get PDWs.

Wanted a pair of Ultegra or GRX brakes, but there were none in Portland, I could only find rears. Same for the front derailleur. There was one shop in town that had a GRX front that would work, but they’re closed on Sunday’s apparently. So I’m gonna stick with the 105 that’s on there for now.

Chose the wrong weekend to do this since there’s not enough space in my garage to set up my stand. I had enough time to strip everything in the driveway yesterday before the big rains hit, and then had to relocate to my office and go with the old “seat and bars” work stand. Hope it dries up enough later so when I finally have it all together I can get the brakes bled etc.

Edit: Anything I need to watch out for setting up these brakes? I’ve never done anything with hydraulic brakes on a bike, so any advice would be appreciated.

Do those 6800 levers work with hydro brakes?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I didn't have strong feelings on e-bikes until I was 10 miles into a 17 mile climb, and two of them passed me at about 30 mph.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

vikingstrike posted:

Do those 6800 levers work with hydro brakes?

I got the number wrong, they are ST-RS685 and yep.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Havana Affair posted:

Just read in the news that the Norwegian ex-skier Petter Northug just had his license suspended for life. He was caught speeding four times recently once doing 204 kph in a 80 kph zone. He has a prior conviction from 2014 when he crashed while drunk, ran from the crash and left his injured friend on the front seat. Also probably didn't help they now found cocaine in his house. I'm not in Norway so can't say how common this is over there.

Come on, its not like we all haven’t done 204 kph (126 mph) after doing a couple of rails (cocaine).

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I didn't have strong feelings on e-bikes until I was 10 miles into a 17 mile climb, and two of them passed me at about 30 mph.

Pickup trucks also fair pretty well going up hill. You can get a decent one for the price of the average e-bike.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

FogHelmut posted:

I didn't care about e-bikes until I was 50 metres up the 70 metre climb to work and one passed me at about 25 km/h.

I'm a wuss, is what I'm saying. A 17 mile climb is something I'll watch other people do on TV.

James Woods posted:

Pickup trucks also fair pretty well going up hill. You can get a decent one for the price of the average e-bike.
Or, something I'll do in a steel cage powered by exploding dinosaurs. I'm in New South Wales, Australia. The electric cars and e-bikes here ultimately run on coal, so still exploding dinosaurs.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

I didn't care about e-bikes until I was 50 metres up the 70 metre climb to work and one passed me at about 25 km/h.

I'm a wuss, is what I'm saying. A 17 mile climb is something I'll watch other people do on TV.

Or, something I'll do in a steel cage powered by exploding dinosaurs. I'm in New South Wales, Australia. The electric cars and e-bikes here ultimately run on coal, so still exploding dinosaurs.

"Exploding Dinosaurs" will be the name of my Dad-bod garage band...

I've been banging around on my new road toy for the last two weeks, and decided to give the local criterium race a go. Just about everyone disappeared ahead of me from the start. Boy, the people around here are fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

ExecuDork posted:

I'm fine with this as long as the person on the e-bike feels ashamed.