Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

nordichammer posted:

There is at least one more expansion in the works. I would caution you to spend as little money and time on an insert, given it will likely be outdated within 1.5 years.

But yeah Spirit Island is good. I've been playing on Steam. Amazing how much more I like a game when I don't have to set up, tear down, or memorize all rules.

It'll be about $10 of PLA filament and some of them (esp the card trays) I'll be able to reuse for other games so NBD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Eric actually mentioned there might be a small expansion released before the bigger Dahan expansion

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Right on, just wanted to caution you in case you were looking to do a lot :)

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Wasn't sure if my kids were old enough yet for it, but I busted out Love Letter with a Christmas theme Letters to Santa. My 5 and 7 year old are obsessed, and play 20 to 30 rounds with each other every day. They understand the strategy surprisingly well, like remembering cards that were played to deduce what's left.

Also, my 5 year old has decided that he wants to be a Krampus when he grows up.

Posts like this give me hope. Can't get my four yo to sit through a game of Candyland yet, though she's a fan of Animal upon Animal when the 2yo isn't being a spoiler...

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

hoiyes posted:

Posts like this give me hope. Can't get my four yo to sit through a game of Candyland yet, though she's a fan of Animal upon Animal when the 2yo isn't being a spoiler...

My girls just turned 6 and 3.5.

At 4, the oldest was playing Indigo, a tile layer, and Catan Jr. At 5 we were playing Kingdomino, Dungeon Mayhem, Uno, Go Fish, and we just introduced Evolution: The Beginning, the kids version which is rated 8+ years old.

The 3 year old can play Uno and Go Fish on her own with zero help, and likes to track my life in Dungeon Mayhem for me. Evolution is too much for her, though she gathers my point counters for me and tells me about the cards when I play them, so she feels involved.

Catan Jr is also good. The oldest can play it without help now, and the younger one likes to play too, she just needs help. They also play Animal Upon Animal together very well now. Tiny Park is also a cute yahtzee-ish game of dice rolling to match symbols that they like.

They also like one called Creatures and Cupcakes, which is a simple push your luck game. Grab cupcake tokens from a bag to move your meeples on tracks, but you lose all of them if you draw two of the same in a row.

We also played the standard games of Candyland, Trouble, Snakes and Ladders and some other junk like that. Good to grasp the basics of games, taking turns, colors, numbers, whatever, but the older one now recognizes that she doesn't really make any decisions, so would rather do something more fun.

My daughters though are super chill and patient, and never get mad about games. The oldest also has a 3rd to 4th grade reading level, so she's fine with games with simple text now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Some other hits for the small kids crowd that are not miserable for parents:
Catch Me! From Haba. Everyone has a mouse on a string and each player takes a turn being the cat. The cat rolls a die with a cup, and upon the right color result tries to catch the mice in the upturned cup before they escape.
Sequence Jr has kids play cards with animals on them to mark spaces on the board, trying to make 4 in a row. Helps them learn some basic strategy in trying to concentrate their pieces in one area and to block other players.
Spot It has a lot of themed variants but the core gameplay is the same. Each player starts with a circular card with a dozen random symbols on it. The way they print it is brilliant and magical in that one symbol from your card will match another symbol from another card. You play in realtime, shouting out matches and replacing your card. Even my 3 year old can play it (and pretty well too)
Sleeping Queens is a cute little strategy card game that my 5 and 7 year old love, but the 3 year old needs a lot of help with it.
They also like the kids version of My First Castle Panic which is cute because it's cooperative and they love the theme
The kids version of Patchwork is great too

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 18, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What are the big differences between Eclipse 1E and 2E?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

PMush Perfect posted:

What are the big differences between Eclipse 1E and 2E?

The designer's notes include some info on the changes.

I have not played 2E, but the big things seem to be: The game is 8 rounds now, passing first gets you 2 money, you can take discovery tiles without placing an influence disc under certain circumstances (making drawing tiles that have no systems but discovery tiles less annoying), and you can pass through sectors controlled by players with whom you have diplomatic relations. That and a myriad of balance changes, such as Plasma Missiles requiring one energy and Improved Hull being more expensive.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

canyoneer posted:

Some other hits for the small kids crowd that are not miserable for parents:
Catch Me! From Haba. Everyone has a mouse on a string and each player takes a turn being the cat. The cat rolls a die with a cup, and upon the right color result tries to catch the mice in the upturned cup before they escape.

This is an old, old game - it goes back to at least the 1950s and probably earlier. Huch did a variant called Carla Cat, and it's also known as Mousie-Mousie and Spitz Paß Auf.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Took Maracaibo for a spin and its basically Sid Meiers pirates! the board game with abstracted combat. First playthrough took about 3.5hrs but the pace rapidly increased once we got familiar with the symbology. If youve ever played games like Caverna or (ugh) Scythe, it has the same design of cramming multiple complicated systems together and making them manageable with good references and short, limited player turns.

It doesnt have a whole lot of player interaction and focuses heavily on giving players their own personal efficiency puzzle, which is further reinforced by more than half the victory points being tied up in cards and systems that arent scored until the end of the game, so reading the game state and playing against the leader is effectively impossible. Theres also a featherweight legacy system that exists mostly to shake up the board layout. Normally Im not a fan of this style of semi-solitaire game since its usually easy to find a mathematically optimal strategy that scuttles the entire experience, but this has enough variability and intricacy that solving the game will, at the very least, take more playthroughs than Ill ever put into it. The game knows exactly what it is and is better for it.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

nordichammer posted:

There is at least one more expansion in the works. I would caution you to spend as little money and time on an insert, given it will likely be outdated within 1.5 years.

FWIW, Eric (the Spirit Island dev) posted a couple weeks ago that the next big expansion is still in the "tossing ideas around" phase. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever storage solution we all choose right now will be good for 2+ years at least between the normal development process and COVID doing an number on the Chinese production lines.

I have the Broken Token insert and I'm sure I could cram a small expansion in there if Eric does decide to release one before the next big box.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Magnetic North posted:

The designer's notes include some info on the changes.

I have not played 2E, but the big things seem to be: The game is 8 rounds now, passing first gets you 2 money, you can take discovery tiles without placing an influence disc under certain circumstances (making drawing tiles that have no systems but discovery tiles less annoying), and you can pass through sectors controlled by players with whom you have diplomatic relations. That and a myriad of balance changes, such as Plasma Missiles requiring one energy and Improved Hull being more expensive.
Cool, looks like some good changes.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Llyranor posted:

Eric actually mentioned there might be a small expansion released before the bigger Dahan expansion

Dahan expansion? Interesting, I've been thinking there's room for a festival spirit. And the text on Vengeance mentions "Hearth-Vigil," which sounds like it could be cool.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think the Dahan expansion is intended to introduce a new way to play, rather than spirits based around the Dahan. Eric has been pretty vague about it, probably because he isn't sure on the details himself, but it sounded more like a second anti-colonist faction you play instead of or in addition to the spirits.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Adding a couple of Dahan-centric spirits isn't off the table but rules for a playable Dahan faction would be the centerpiece, yeah.

It's still in very early planning and there will probably be a small "stuff" expansion before any Dahan expansion stuff comes about though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Has he explicitly said the Dahan would be player controlled? Early interviews post core game release he mentioned he was very wary of the players controlling them because he wanted them to have their own agency in the system for thematic and principal reasons.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Bottom Liner posted:

Has he explicitly said the Dahan would be player controlled? Early interviews post core game release he mentioned he was very wary of the players controlling them because he wanted them to have their own agency in the system for thematic and principal reasons.

This makes a lot of sense, but also I would be pretty bummed if the whole box was effectively just an Event Deck++ style module that added a bunch of bookkeeping for automating another npc group.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
I am probably buying everything that comes out for Spirit Island. I hope Eric knows not to make it too bloated.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
The app coming out on tablet has been great despite a few technical issues. I hope they hurry up with Branch and Claw.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I suppose he hasn't 100% confirmed it but he's definitely exploring the idea and has mentioned it seems likely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah I just was wondering because I've seen him mention that it's a Dahan focused big expansion but I don't think I'd seen that they would be playable.

NW Knapstars
Aug 14, 2015

Llyranor posted:

I am probably buying everything that comes out for Spirit Island. I hope Eric knows not to make it too bloated.

Eric, maybe.

Greater than Games on the other hand...

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Adventure Tactics finally arrived! ...except due to the recent increased lockdown in my country I won't get to play it any time soon. :smith:

That said, I am really happy the game comes with a built-in storage solution for storing all the components.
It even comes with tuck boxes for the characters during the campaign. :dance:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ordered a copy of Twilight Imperium for Christmas, as parents wanted to chip in on something :toot:

Not sure if I'm going to get a chance to play it during the holidays as we might be heading to lockdown with 70 active cases in the state :smith:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

In other news let me know if anyone would like to buy an original Kickstarter Edition of Xia: Legends of a Drift System :v:
(Torn corner of box, but otherwise in excellent condition)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Infinitum posted:

In other news let me know if anyone would like to buy an original Kickstarter Edition of Xia: Legends of a Drift System :v:
(Torn corner of box, but otherwise in excellent condition)

If you weren't in Australia I'd be tempted - can't imagine shipping to Canada is reasonable and haven't yet dug a tunnel to Adelaide.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Another Canadian has hit me up via PM as well, so I'll try my best to figure out a price + shipping tonight.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was planning to get Tichu at some point but saw this pop up on BGG:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/112125/tichu-sobek-lucky-numbers-and-catan-get-revamped

How easy is it to get games from this publisher in the US?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
That’s a gorgeous looking set of Tichu. I have a copy from Rio Grande Games that I’ve played hundreds of times. It’s one of my favorite games to play with couples, and I’ve successfully convinced about a half dozen to never play Euchre again.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

Infinitum posted:

Another Canadian has hit me up via PM as well, so I'll try my best to figure out a price + shipping tonight.

I actually am selling one as well. Kickstarter Edition of Xia: Legends of a Drift System with Embers of Forsaken Stars expansion and other KS promos. If shipping is too much for you or the second buyer is interested please direct them my way. Shipping from the US.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

rchandra posted:

If you weren't in Australia I'd be tempted - can't imagine shipping to Canada is reasonable and haven't yet dug a tunnel to Adelaide.

Yeeeeaaaah so the relatively cheap option to the Great White North is about $90 AUD. Which is like $87 CAD.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Aggro posted:

That’s a gorgeous looking set of Tichu. I have a copy from Rio Grande Games that I’ve played hundreds of times. It’s one of my favorite games to play with couples, and I’ve successfully convinced about a half dozen to never play Euchre again.

Hmm tell me more

Also I just bought Root and the Riverfolk expansion, very excited to play

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Tichu is one of those games that can be played with a standard 52 deck, iirc. Maybe with an extra joker filched from a sister deck.

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Apparently Tichu borrows a lot from https://www.pagat.com/climbing/zhengfen.html, which uses 52 cards and 2 jokers (high and low). I haven't played, but it looks pretty interesting!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I know it's a weird year for game releases and board games in general, but what were some of the best of the year (new or new to you)?

The Crew is an instant classic small box and coop game. It does a lot with such a simple trick taking system and really makes the coop puzzle gimmick work. Definitely GOTY potential.

Pan Am is a really solid newcomer board game with real depth but simplicity and appealing presentation.

Calico is a good entry in the Patchwork/Azul space but with much more brain burning tile placement instead of hate drafting/economy to worry about. Similar to Nova Luna as well, but I think I like this puzzle better because it's a little more constrained which makes it harder. My friend designed this so take my rec with a grain of salt, but you can also try a free version online https://myautoma.github.io/games/calico/index.html

GH Jaws is also a big standout, because it refines the already solid formula and provides a smoother experience and still has plenty of gameplay in the box.

Nokosu Dice remains the best new to me game I played and is my favorite trick taking game. The dice drafting and play adds a lot to the formula and the scoring is simple enough that you can focus on the fun parts of the gameplay.

Still want to try Imperial Struggle, 18CHES, Eclipse 2E, Altar Quest, and My City.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Pan Am Nice playable game that doesn't take itself too seriously

18Chesapeake An intro to 1830 and base 18xx play

Anno 1800 A return to form by Martin Wallace

Tekhnu An iteration on dice placement which I like a lot better than Orleans

Babylonia As we go back in time to when Knizia could do no wrong

Too Many Bones] (new to us) Really liked this way more than Gloomhaven. One session and you're done.

Still to play: Merv

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to play 1889 over on 18xx.games the other day. Really enjoyed it. Yet another one that I'd replace 1830 with, especially since it's mostly the same system. Overall it played faster and had all the interesting decisions. Looking forward to backing the reprint by GTG when that moves ahead, probably some time after the current KS of 1861/69 arrives in people's hands.

Been hearing some buzz about 1882, usually in the same breath as '89, '46, and CHES. Anyone have any thoughts about it? I might be trying it soon via the same site.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

what were some of the best of the year (new or new to you)?

Best:
Through The Ages: A New Story of Civilization. Bought the app in March, have played 28 games online, mostly against goons. It's loving brilliant. You've all heard of it, I really don't know what to say. Sure, yeah, people can complain that it has a market row and some random card draws. Want to know how to tell it's a game of skill? Because for the last nine months I've been getting absolutely pantsed, just relentlessly shithoused by goons who've been playing this game since like 2006. If it was random, you'd expect me to win more than 3% of my games. Also, the app is terrific; it is literally everything I want an app to be and nothing else. No loving flummery to make it prettier or more animated, just the necessary information cleverly displayed and all the quality of life additions likes undos that someone could ask for.

Runners ups (all on BGA):
Yokohama: I only played this once, but I am excited to try again. The BGA implementation is pretty good but a bit tough to learn from and to focus on, especially async.
Lost Cities. This really surprised me. Boy, is it sharp, but I also really like luck management type games. I heard this game was 'glorified Racko' and I am happy to report that this game is actually "glorified Racko but good". Also, the BGA implementation immediately tallying your score so you can see how badly you are in debt when you put that second handshake card down is fun to see.
7 Wonders Duel: Got a few plays of this under my belt, and it's amazing that they got a two player game to somehow feel like 7 Wonders. It's strong.
Kingdomino: This is definitely family weight, but I still really liked it. Very simple, very light, but just a nice little time. You can certainly see why it's popular.

The Game That Occupied The Most Time In My Brain:
Root: I may have technically played my first in person game in December, I don't remember, but this game has captured my imagination. Mostly I'm hyped to try the Corvids and the Exiles and Paritisans deck and to play with the Otters and basically to be able to play games without the Vagabond and the Woodland Alliance (despite really, really loving the WA). The app is pretty good, but gah I want those factions!

As far as I know, I have yet to play a game published in 2020, either in meatspace or cyberspace, unless you count the TtA expansion though that's been out on the app since last year I think. All that will hopefully change in a few days when I play Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective: The Baker Street Irregulars.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
For Scythe would anyone say that any of the expansions are particularly good? Our group plays it quite a bit but really hasn't needed to get more factions. I do like them when playing digital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Hot Diggity! posted:

For Scythe would anyone say that any of the expansions are particularly good? Our group plays it quite a bit but really hasn't needed to get more factions. I do like them when playing digital.

I have played them all and unless you're a Scythe obsessive I don't think they're necessary. I know my friends enjoyed the campaign-y aspect to the most recent one though, but they're far more into the game than I am. My personal experience about the two other factions is that they're kind of annoying and feel half-baked compared to the already slightly anemic/imbalanced pre-existing factions.