Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Why Ti for the IC piping? Pure baller reasons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
That flywheel grinder is a trick tool to have handy.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Why Ti for the IC piping? Pure baller reasons?

Really dislike how aluminum looks when pie cut- would use stainless (cheaper by half) - but my locking couplers only support AL or Ti ferrels. So Ti it is.
At the end of the day, it's just preference and $$$$.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Adam LZ is a worthless sack of poo poo.

Spyder I love shop cleanup posts

Edited because I used a bad word! Sorry!

Quoting this because F' Adam LZ. I got hit up minutes after posting my CYM acquisition saying he wanted to buy it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well gently caress him.

His rampant use of "fag" as an insult in his early YT days was a pretty clear show of who he is.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

the spyder posted:

Quoting this because F' Adam LZ. I got hit up minutes after posting my CYM acquisition saying he wanted to buy it.

Wait, is he a goon? How did he find out you had it?

I woulda told him to gently caress off, geez

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I really despise him. I have a few friends who've interacted with him at drift events and it's crazy how huge his cult/fanbase is.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Nm.

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 14, 2020

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

Well gently caress him.

His rampant use of "fag" as an insult in his early YT days was a pretty clear show of who he is.

I'm not trying to defend the guy but I think he was like 14 so there is that. I certainly said some cringey and awful stuff when I was younger.

I stopped watching his stuff a few years ago when he reached the point of "oh I just bought this and then I'm just paying these people to work on it for me and then I bought this that I'm also not working on and I bought this because also". I can appreciate he's very successful and giving car dudes jobs, but it's just not interesting content for me.

It must be Adam LZ's personality because Cleetus does the same thing on a high level (throw money at things) but at least to me his content is way more interesting and entertaining.

Thanks for coming to my automotive youtuber ted talk.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not a fan of his either.

Most auto youtube is bad these days though.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Never really been a fan of Cleetus. I haven't watched the videos, but with working in healthcare - poo poo like this is why we're as bad off as we are. Both for covid and the larger car community.

https://www.bradenton.com/news/local/article247419155.html

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
It's all just reality TV by another name. Nobody actually wants to see the nuts and bolts of how working on cars actually goes. It's a bummer because YouTube should be great for episodic car content instead of just people with tons of money throwing tons of money around. so much knowledge was lost when the forums died and everything moved to one form or another of social media and now everything must be monetized or it doesn't happen. every once in awhile you can find some nuggets but most of it is hack poo poo like b is for for build and the rest of that garbage.

I think the sad reality is the only people who want to watch people actually build cars or even actually drive cars are the kind of people who actually build cars and actually drive cars and that's a pretty small audience. All of the reality TV car shows shows lead to some weird outcomes, and I don't mean the cars. I love getting told over and over again how easy stuff is or how much things are worth by people who's only interaction has been watching TV or YouTube. Why bother doing stuff when you can just pretend?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

bird cooch posted:

It's all just reality TV by another name. Nobody actually wants to see the nuts and bolts of how working on cars actually goes. It's a bummer because YouTube should be great for episodic car content instead of just people with tons of money throwing tons of money around. so much knowledge was lost when the forums died and everything moved to one form or another of social media and now everything must be monetized or it doesn't happen. every once in awhile you can find some nuggets but most of it is hack poo poo like b is for for build and the rest of that garbage.

I think the sad reality is the only people who want to watch people actually build cars or even actually drive cars are the kind of people who actually build cars and actually drive cars and that's a pretty small audience. All of the reality TV car shows shows lead to some weird outcomes, and I don't mean the cars. I love getting told over and over again how easy stuff is or how much things are worth by people who's only interaction has been watching TV or YouTube. Why bother doing stuff when you can just pretend?

Try these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/user/badobsessionmsport

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Oh yeah project Binky is great, but there wildly in the minority.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

bird cooch posted:

The channels I enjoy the most are guys wrenching, showing what they're doing in detail. I don't really watch any over-produced reality-type shows. They're just extended infomercials.

If you want details, you might try JoDaddy's Garage. He restores classic Mustangs. He has spent several videos lately on hood hinges, as an example.

Cold War Motors is another one that is just guys messing with cars in exquisite detail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There's this dude on Tik Tok (shut up) who does dumb car poo poo up in Alaska. Short, goofy videos with potatoes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
There is plenty of interesting stuff out there even if at first glance it seems like it wouldn't be. I have put off watching "Ratarossa" bc it just seemed cringe but it turns out the dude is just a Ferrari junky without Ferrari money. His latest where he buys this 512 BB that has been sitting outside for 14 years is amazing. Oh but of course people do crap like that all the time in different capacities. But he spends half the latest episode showing how he is carefully diagnosing things and getting out the ignition tumbler without breaking anything is just good, interesting stuff. I highly recommend.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
A2W core arrived today. We'll see how it fits this weekend. Still down on energy with some low level cold bug.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some good recommendations. You guys watch aging wheels too right?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

the spyder posted:

A2W core arrived today. We'll see how it fits this weekend. Still down on energy with some low level cold bug.

Get yourself tested, or at least self-quarantine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some good recommendations. You guys watch aging wheels too right?

I do!
If I lived anywhere near him, I'd help work on his junk. It's interesting stuff.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Is the appeal of the yellow FD from initial d?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

n8r posted:

Is the appeal of the yellow FD from initial d?

I'm not sure people will believe me, but I've never watched it. Segments of it, sure - this day in age most car people have seen the gifs/youtube shorts.
In general many people I meet, esp around age 30 or younger would say yes. It's one of the top questions.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Darchangel posted:

I do!
If I lived anywhere near him, I'd help work on his junk. It's interesting stuff.

Same here. Dude seems like he needs some car friends. Why isn't he on here? He'd fit right in.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

the spyder posted:

I'm not sure people will believe me, but I've never watched it. Segments of it, sure - this day in age most car people have seen the gifs/youtube shorts.
In general many people I meet, esp around age 30 or younger would say yes. It's one of the top questions.

For some dumb reason I decided to start watching it a few days ago. Prior to it, I’ve maybe watched 2 hours of anime in my entire life. The music rules, the race scenes are cool in a 90s cgi way, but there is quite a bit of pervvy teen girl poo poo too (ugh).

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bird cooch posted:

As well as Project Binky, the usual of MCM / Skid Factory / Benny Custom Works are pretty much always been nuts and bolts. Also if you REALLY want amateur bites off more than he can chew nuts and bolts, Roland Finger is f******** brilliant. When he fucks up, he shows it warts and all and also shows his learning process.

Worst kept secret of course is MCM have an RX7 project coming. Looking forward to that one

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Nugget Factory is another good one - some of my favorite car shows are outta AU/NZ right now.

I'm still not feeling well, but not sick either. It's just weird. My primary care doc will be calling today and we'll decide if I need to get tested. Low energy, aching joints, can't get warm. No fever, no cough, no other symptoms. But if you look back I get sick with something like every winter/spring.

In the mean time - here's the core I ordered.

And I was bored last night, so out came the cardboard and tape. Just playing with ideas at this point.

This weekend I'll mock things back up. I may end up eating my words. Right now this is a 12" tall, 5" wide stack. That may be the most I can fit. I would like to switch to the 14" tall 4.5" wide stack (6" core vs the 4" pictured) to ensure I can change my belts. This core is 263ci and the Garrett "1000hp" core is 240ci, so it should be enough for what I'm after. Won't know until I can mock it up.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 18, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As well as Project Binky, the usual of MCM / Skid Factory / Benny Custom Works are pretty much always been nuts and bolts. Also if you REALLY want amateur bites off more than he can chew nuts and bolts, Roland Finger is f******** brilliant. When he fucks up, he shows it warts and all and also shows his learning process.

Worst kept secret of course is MCM have an RX7 project coming. Looking forward to that one

I've really enjoyed Ron doing a budget restoration job on his Fiero. He's basically doing what I tend to do: not a show car, not a concours resto, just make it decent, and fix all the things. He's at least closer to me than Aging Wheels - Ron is in the Houston, TX area (I'm up in Dallas.)
I'd have started with a V6 Fiero, at least, but you work with what you find, I guess.

As for Initial D, I have a fansub of the part of the first season on videotape. 'Nuff said.
For anyone just starting to watch it, the CGI generally gets better through the run, as technology allowed, though I've only actually watched the first series, myself.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Forgive me for continuing the YT recommendations, but Grind Hard Plumbing Company is a good combination of videography, nuts and bolts type stuff, and interesting projects. The main guy is pretty drat good at backwoods engineering.

They're mostly known for their powerwheels builds, the most recent was an 4wd ktm 990 powered jeep powerwheels. Turned out great pretty amazing.

Currently they're putting a 2jz "in" (aka building around) an old simplicity tractor.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
This is quite a derail but all of these suggestions have been really cool to watch. Thanks

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Grind Hard makes some really silly things work. They put a (turbocharged!) snowmobile engine in a Triumph Sprite.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The algorithm must be working, as I discovered Grind Hard a few days back and have really enjoyed the 2j mower project. I mean, it's a loving stupid deathtrap, but in a way I can get behind.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Hurm, previous me should have realized that I can't test fit anything if the oil pan is at the machinist/welders... So that's going to wait.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Merry Christmas all!

I've been working on a project behind the scenes and given we're just a few weeks away from the finished piece, I thought you guys/gals might like to see it. This is a collaboration between Rob and myself, something I've always wanted to make with him after two decades of leaking FD oil pans.

Backstory: There are three oil pans for a FD on the market right now (consider these the three "main" suppliers) - The first one is cast, designed by my friend Rob+Ralph from a two decades ago. It has drawbacks like it being porous, no baffling, and sticking below the subframe. Cost: $400. Second is one from a fellow in Cali, it's a fabricated aluminum pan and it also sticks below the subframe. It's $650 and the owner has a bad habit of telling his customers to F'off when things don't ship for 3 months. Not ideal. Third is a beautiful piece, but the original "creator" has no interest in stocking/selling them - and the fabricator behind them is selling them now, marked up significantly with a 16 week wait. Several friends were in the market for a pan, so I designed one and bought the material to have it CNC'd. It's a fully baffled pan, using a Rx-8 pickup, o-ring sealed, and still holds 5.5quarts. Best part, it sits inside the subframe and won't scrape.

Bonus: Also bought the material to cut a batch of 20B pans.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 26, 2020

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Are the epitrochoid-shaped returns(?) actually beneficial, or are they sort of an Easter egg?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Dual purpose. Each iron has a return. They function as the drain. The rest is an Easter egg from Rob.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Weird lookin dong on it there buddy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

So is your own cnc'd billet or partly fabricated?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Elmnt80 posted:

Weird lookin dong on it there buddy.

It's got a semi-flared base, I'd say it's safe.

Very cool product, and hopefully the community can quit suffering the inferior versions. I hate it when there's a niche product and the manufacturer decides that they can treat customers like crap because they're a captive audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I appreciate the rotary dong.

What does the completed item look like?