Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

OgreNoah posted:

I just know that I don't like fabric covers because I'll inevitably touch it while there's some sort of oil on my fingers and stain it forever.

ah yes, the Goon's Curse.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

go orc stabr route: order half with fabric, half with leather, rip all the covers off, rip them in half, then send a random back and front cover to everyone

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
The Well seems like a neat dungeon crawl game. Basically you live in a giant endless hole in the ground, and civilization is continually moving down over generations as it runs out of resources. You are the people who instead go up into the undead infested places above in search of treasure. The system seems nice and light while keeping flavor.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Seriously wondering why the game designer specified 12 hour workdays as normal. It's weird and also breaks the verisimilitude of the setting, since people working 12 hour days would literally not have enough energy or time to take care of a household or maintain social relationships (this was well-documented during the Industrial Revolution) and would cause a massive strain on society, what with all the protests and lockouts and everything.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.lovemoney.com/gallerylist/84600/how-many-hours-did-people-work-in-history
scroll down to the 17th century

e. I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on what you mean by "work" but also that there have been times and places where 10-12 or even more hours per day were "normal" and that persisted for long enough that you could point to a time in the middle of that period and not foresee inevitable riots or whatever as a result?

I have no idea if that gels well with the setting for that game but it doesn't seem way off. I would guess that the author just didn't think to research typical working hours in the premodern eras.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 15, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Yes but there were the New World colonies to act as a pressure release valve.

My issue here is that it's just sort of casually mentioned that people are working 12-hour days, presumably 6 days a week, and they're well fed and then get along with their *lives* when they get home. Which is ludicrous - work a 12/6 for a couple of months (really WORK, not just play around at the computer) and you'll be a burnt out mess without any life to speak of. Either play up Gravediggers as a sort of opportunity to escape that misery, or note that there's a huge amount of strain on the social fabric. It's not something that should just be casually dropped into the setting without comment.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Work conditions for the poor were not better in the New World, and indeed were often slightly worse due to even greater lack of access to leisure and amenities.

e: not to mention that to get there typically required either indentured service or being convicted of a crime and sent in utter poverty.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 16, 2020

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Mors Rattus posted:

Work conditions for the poor were not better in the New World, and indeed were often slightly worse due to even greater lack of access to leisure and amenities.

e: not to mention that to get there typically required either indentured service or being convicted of a crime and sent in utter poverty.

Yes, and things sucked on the frontier in the mid 1800s, in the Klondike in the late 1800s, but people still flocked there because it represented an opportunity for them. I'm talking about their function as a socio-political construct, not their economic function.

Also please give the source for what percentage of settlers came over on indentured servitude/crime sentences, please and thank you.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yes, and things sucked on the frontier in the mid 1800s, in the Klondike in the late 1800s, but people still flocked there because it represented an opportunity for them. I'm talking about their function as a socio-political construct, not their economic function.

Also please give the source for what percentage of settlers came over on indentured servitude/crime sentences, please and thank you.

Just off the top of my ability to google, here's a JSTOR link: https://www.jstor.org/stable/2120553?read-now=1&seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Estimates that between 50 and 66% of white immigration to British colonies in the Americas until the Revolution was indenture, with the note that as slavery rose in prominence it dwindled because slaves took on that economic role, particularly in the South. The paper itself cites Colonists in Bondage, a 1947 book by Abbot Emerson Smith.

Now, it's possible we've radically rethought the numbers on indenture since the 1980s when this article was published, but I don't think we have.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

No that sounds about right, and not surprising. I was more curious about the crime. What's particularly interesting to me is that the relatively high proportion of the European population being indentured caused them to feel some solidarity with the African Slaves, which of course was ruthlessly squashed and divided by the overclass (got that via Hellfire Nation, a good read)

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think that Bastion is supposed to be pretty lovely but not a dystopia. Your characters choice to foresake a normal life to try to get treasure fighting the undead should be understandable, but also why other people aren't doing it. Its the equivalent of going off to the colonies like you mentioned.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

My issue here is that it's just sort of casually mentioned that people are working 12-hour days, presumably 6 days a week, and they're well fed and then get along with their *lives* when they get home. Which is ludicrous - work a 12/6 for a couple of months (really WORK, not just play around at the computer) and you'll be a burnt out mess without any life to speak of. Either play up Gravediggers as a sort of opportunity to escape that misery, or note that there's a huge amount of strain on the social fabric. It's not something that should just be casually dropped into the setting without comment.

I've worked in several countries (in Africa and parts of Asia) where the local labor law defined, or simply allowed employers to enforce, the work week as 12 hours a day for 5-6 days a week or some variation (12 hours a day for 5 days and 8 hours Saturday in one case.) Many people working in the informal sector (where many people are employed in developing countries) can expect to work 12-16 hour days 6-7 days a week. Many government do not mandate a minimum wage, or mandate an extremely low wage, resulting in extremely predatory employment situations. You're not wrong that it's ludicrous, but it's still a reality for many (perhaps most?) people in the world. Working so much puts a huge constraint on your ability to live your life, but people still find a way to cram in actually having a life between work shifts.

Bruxism fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 16, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Exhibit A in "Doug never took his responsibilities as CEO seriously"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEzcO-zUVlE

12min in where the Safety Inspector just shakes his head at him regarding earplugs :cripes:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No that sounds about right, and not surprising. I was more curious about the crime.

Back in those days it would most likely be petty theft, or anything else not quite serious enough to hang you for.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Infinitum posted:

12min in where the Safety Inspector just shakes his head at him regarding earplugs :cripes:

That video just makes me want to punch everyone who works for Wyrmwood.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

and they are freely sharing these videos? that seems unwise

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
That man's attitude, as a leader, to safety in itself is going to induce accidents, even without considering the actual practices he is advocating. Why should you care about being safe if the boss, who sets the tone for workplace behaviour, obviously considers it all a big joke.

And the big one won't be an accident involving him. It'll be something happening to someone else. And his response, and the response of those like him, will always be to point to the mistakes and cavalier attitude of those on the frontline without ever considering how they encouraged that attitude to begin with.

Just come off a call discussing workforce deaths and safe work culture in my own industry. I can't tell you how angry that video made me.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I hope that’s primarily them just making fun of Doug for not caring, but either way it’s a remarkably stupid thing to share.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I hope that’s primarily them just making fun of Doug for not caring, but either way it’s a remarkably stupid thing to share.

It's absolute lawsuit-bait and would be exhibit A in one, it's wildly stupid to make that video and share it purely from the standpoint of protecting the company's owners/shareholders from legal peril. The existence of the video also implies additional video to gain access to during discovery.

e. obviously it's part of a series, there's additional videos, but I'm talking about whatever was cut in the making of this one. They admitted on camera they don't have any paperwork and aren't in compliance with laws and never tried to be, and while the fact they've hired a consultant is good for the future, it's not helpful in defense of any suit that came up about the past.

They lost two man-days to injuries, which is low. But whoever that was that got hurt could take them to the cleaners.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 17, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah him stating that they had no paperwork was :stonk:

I do admin for a relatively large company that has a manufacturing division, and half my day is spent doing paperwork to make sure our collective arses are covered.

Gave me a loving migraine hearing him be so blasé about it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Without condoning, I do have some sympathy for his situation (not his actions, his situation.) From his perspective, he's always done things a certain way, found success doing it, and now suddenly "the rules" are changing. That's tough for anybody.

The way he's handling it though is of course neither productive, nor endearing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Glad I cancelled my order. Sone companies are not worth supporting.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Infinitum posted:

lol

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Eyes Have It posted:

Without condoning, I do have some sympathy for his situation (not his actions, his situation.) From his perspective, he's always done things a certain way, found success doing it, and now suddenly "the rules" are changing. That's tough for anybody.

The way he's handling it though is of course neither productive, nor endearing.

On the other hand, the way he was doing things was a bad, illegal way, and the rules didn't change, he just didn't pay attention to them before.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

OrthoTrot posted:

That man's attitude, as a leader, to safety in itself is going to induce accidents, even without considering the actual practices he is advocating. Why should you care about being safe if the boss, who sets the tone for workplace behaviour, obviously considers it all a big joke.

And the big one won't be an accident involving him. It'll be something happening to someone else. And his response, and the response of those like him, will always be to point to the mistakes and cavalier attitude of those on the frontline without ever considering how they encouraged that attitude to begin with.

Just come off a call discussing workforce deaths and safe work culture in my own industry. I can't tell you how angry that video made me.

The day I started an internship at one workplace they had a post-incident "here's why we're alive to tell you what almost happened" meeting about a large power supply holding onto power when it wasn't supposed to, resulting in a lot of light and noise when that discharged into a safety ground cable instead of the guy pulling the plug. Had more of an effect on me than a whole day of training about regulations in a sterile classroom.

Only recently did it occur to me that someone probably thought "the new kids are coming next week, let's push that debriefing back to Tuesday." (Good) engineers know how useful an object lesson can be.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Mors Rattus posted:

On the other hand, the way he was doing things was a bad, illegal way, and the rules didn't change, he just didn't pay attention to them before.

You'll get no argument from me on that point

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Vindication is back on Kickstarter with their 2nd expansion, Chronicles: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/orangenebula/vindication-board-game-and-chronicles-expansion

I like this game a lot. It's a fun mix of exploration, tableau building, and cube pushing with some light area control and resource management aspects. Orange Nebula is also a cool company that sends random swag out to people through their newsletter and Facebook community. Their last kickstarter also had a pretty fast turnaround time and is one of the few I've backed that actually delivered on schedule.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

can we talk about ISS Vanguard here as well even though it's on GameFound? https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/

looks good so far. it's quite a lot more for the miniatures pack and if you're not super into them then it might be a good idea to save some money and skip them as they probably won't have a ton of use

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I really liked what I saw of Vindication in several playthrough videos over on the Gaming Rules! channel on Youtube (and despite the name, it's run by a pretty sober, Euro-oriented older British gentleman who was co-designer on a couple of the Mage Knight expansions).

And ISS Vanguard looks amazing but then, I'm pretty much in the bag for Awaken Realms these days, especially on their narrative coop games. And oh hey, Paul Grogan (the aforementioned gentleman from Gaming Rules!) is working with them on the rulebook, so hopefully it won't be a sticking point for this one like the rulebook was for a lot of people on Etherfields.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

CODChimera posted:

can we talk about ISS Vanguard here as well even though it's on GameFound? https://gamefound.com/projects/awaken-realms/iss-vanguard#/

looks good so far. it's quite a lot more for the miniatures pack and if you're not super into them then it might be a good idea to save some money and skip them as they probably won't have a ton of use

I really love the idea of just selling the minis seperately to offer a price point for nerds who just want to play the drat game as well as miniature whores

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

malkav11 posted:

I really liked what I saw of Vindication in several playthrough videos over on the Gaming Rules! channel on Youtube (and despite the name, it's run by a pretty sober, Euro-oriented older British gentleman who was co-designer on a couple of the Mage Knight expansions).

I liked what I saw of Vindication, but then I played it and I wasn't impressed.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

I really love the idea of just selling the minis seperately to offer a price point for nerds who just want to play the drat game as well as miniature whores

Yeah, they've done that with most of their recent games. Though it's usually not total - Tainted Grail and Etherfields both have some basic minis in the box, then sell individual monster minis on the side as addons. (And then don't really do much with the addon minis, which is why I'd probably skip the ISS Vanguard ones even if you're a minis fan, which I am not. But who knows, maybe this time will be different.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

malkav11 posted:

Yeah, they've done that with most of their recent games. Though it's usually not total - Tainted Grail and Etherfields both have some basic minis in the box, then sell individual monster minis on the side as addons. (And then don't really do much with the addon minis, which is why I'd probably skip the ISS Vanguard ones even if you're a minis fan, which I am not. But who knows, maybe this time will be different.)

Yeah, I didn't get the Tainted Grail minis but they don't seem like they'd add much to the experience. Even as a fan of minis I would reconsider getting the AR mini addons. I was looking forward to painting the handful that come with the TG core game, but the quality of the casts totally put me off the idea. Of all the big mini KS companies I've seen the final product of I think they might be the worst in the "gorgeous renders do not represent the quality of the actual product" department.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ISS Vanguard is promising 10kg of game with 20-30 hours of main story. Is that good density?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I mean, Gloomhaven is 10 kg of game with a near-infinite story -- I think that knowing I could play through the entire thing in 20-30 hours is actually a selling point at this juncture.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

ISS Vanguard is promising 10kg of game with 20-30 hours of main story. Is that good density?

They've said they're planning to throw in a second full campaign, the way that Tainted Grail ended up being three full campaigns for the price of one. They're just not talking about the details yet because they want to have some votes during the campaign over the exact direction to take certain elements. Like Tainted Grail and Etherfields' extra campaign content, I'd assume it'll ship in a second wave.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
Re: Vindication - I own it and think it's a good, not great game. A sort of nice medium-weight Euro resource conversion game that is sort of the thematic equivalent to what Lords of Waterdeep did for recipe fulfillment-style worker placement. I think some game groups will love it, and others will be meh. I haven't backed the latest expansion yet, but probably will, but I'll never argue with anyone that it's the greatest game on the planet.

Re: ISS Vanguard - I need to watch some of the playthroughs and make a call. I'm really enjoying Etherfields, enough to likely also pick up Tainted Grail. The Etherfields core box was EXTREMELY generous with its content; it feels as deep as original Gloomhaven in terms of hours to play (but with much less set-up) but I won't argue against the complaints people have about some of the worse parts of the game - i.e. the grindy slumbers, relatively dry core loop outside of the main dreams. Still, there's a TON of dream content.

I'm a little gunshy to spend my money at Gamefound initially as I'm still waiting to see what all shows up in the campaign and it's like Indiegogo in that you pay up front, to my understanding. Still, I'm a believer in what they're doing and think they're one of the better game companies to support. I was impressed with every step of the production and delivery of Etherfields, my first AR KS, so I think they've got me until they do wrong/produce something I don't care about.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
ISS Vanguards gamefound pledge in contrast to most gamefound pledges charges after the campaign is done.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm very on board for ISS Vanguard -- but April 2022 ETA, plus the cost of a top-shelf game just for shipping (:canada:) makes it kind of hard for me to sign the dotted line on the campaign. I think I'll end up waiting for retail & crossing my fingers.

Interesting thing about gamefound, I can't seem to make just a $1 or $5 pledge with no reward (which I do sometimes for projects I want to follow and get updates on, but not get a reward for.) Am I missing something? Filling in the blank pledge amount treats it as an "add-on" only which can't exist without a "pledge" :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

HidaO-Win posted:

ISS Vanguards gamefound pledge in contrast to most gamefound pledges charges after the campaign is done.

Specifically, this is the first crowdfunding campaign on Gamefound. Previous use of Gamefound has been as a pledge manager for crowdfunding done elsewhere, and yes, pledge managers will charge you up front. The ISS Vanguard campaign does not, although they do require you to provide payment info up front.

The Eyes Have It posted:

I'm very on board for ISS Vanguard -- but April 2022 ETA, plus the cost of a top-shelf game just for shipping (:canada:) makes it kind of hard for me to sign the dotted line on the campaign. I think I'll end up waiting for retail & crossing my fingers.

Just to point out, even if you can find it at retail (I've backed all their coops so I don't know how available they are), you're likely looking at buying the second campaign separately and probably for significantly more than the shipping. Not that you necessarily need it.