Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Thanks, "VALENCIA" was Jon Contino's idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm a fan of the juicer personally

and i assume the chinese characters mean something relevant too

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

tbh would be more authentic if they didn't

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
im loving astonished that this new worthikids thing isn't "real" stop motion - i know that the color grading + soft focus camera + film grain does a lot but his materials are so amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJBCuRsrqUU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
oh god that’s incredible

I wish I knew about that post processing stuff

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

get on his patreon, he has shared his blend files in the past.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Sagebrush posted:

it says “tangerine” so it’s his name in chinese characters. very authentic imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Neon Noodle posted:

get on his patreon, he has shared his blend files in the past.

:chanpop:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

thank you
it’s his girlfriend’s name

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what is? ian? worthikids?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1339204016048201729?s=20

hardops and boxcutter have inspired me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

The case looks spot on imo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/KmCKaq5.mp4

im kinda pleased with how this is turning out, and I want to put some real time into it which I dont normally do. the textures really make the painted metal believable and it was a stroke of genius to make it look like folded sheet metal because I am super stoked with how it turned out.

basically started experimenting with hard surface modelling and using boxcutter and hardops. boxcutter fuckin owns. still getting the hang of it though, for most of what I ever do the order of which I do it desnt matter but this kinda relies on having an idea of what youre doing at the start.

learning time lol

also I am using a studio HDRI and I reckon its absolutely that that kind of makes it look like an older photograph.

im really half obsessed with being able to replicate the film look but I really dont know enough and feel like theres a plugin that doesnt exist but should and im not brainy enough to make it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
really digging the metal reflection on the knobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the anisotropic? yeah it’s good huh

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

choice of typeface is :discourse:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

echinopsis posted:

im kinda pleased with how this is turning out, and I want to put some real time into it which I dont normally do. the textures really make the painted metal believable and it was a stroke of genius to make it look like folded sheet metal because I am super stoked with how it turned out.

basically started experimenting with hard surface modelling and using boxcutter and hardops. boxcutter fuckin owns. still getting the hang of it though, for most of what I ever do the order of which I do it desnt matter but this kinda relies on having an idea of what youre doing at the start.

learning time lol

also I am using a studio HDRI and I reckon its absolutely that that kind of makes it look like an older photograph.

im really half obsessed with being able to replicate the film look but I really dont know enough and feel like theres a plugin that doesnt exist but should and im not brainy enough to make it

The metal looks amazing but the faux wood is incredible, the little speckles really push it over the top. I know exactly what it would feel like to touch.

Also I just googled box cutter and my goodness, having the ability to cut holes with the ease that Sketchup gives? That's one of those things that I'm surprised isn't in blender to begin with.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

good poo poo echi!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
thankyou :)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

echinopsis posted:

learning time lol

looks real good op. if i could offer a suggestion it'd be to make the knobs a bit less perfect, the knobfeel is too good to be true

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah for sure. the knob research thread is about discovering some better knob inspiration. i really want knurling

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
but thanks :)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

yeah for sure. the knob research thread is about discovering some better knob inspiration. i really want knurling

Sagebrush posted:

anyway straight knurling is just a circular array/pattern of whatever you want the knurl profile to be, usually a V-groove

and cross knurling is a circular array of two perpendicular helical V-grooves

note that the geometry for cross knurling takes for loving ever to calculate (so many intersections) so you may want to leave it until the very end.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the rodtronics performa is great echi. the only thing that rubs my brain is that i dont think i could turn the outer knobs without bumping into the middle one

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah they’re a bit placeholder tbh. but thanks for the critical feedback. honestly i’m thinking for it’s purposes it only needs one knob since canonically it’s literally a hugely powerful amp with nothing but a gain knob

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thankyou for this

incorporating this into a nicely machined design, is my next design goal. obv we want a nice bevel at the top of the knob

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

im doing procedural straight knurling with vector displacement. highly recommended.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this is literally how real knurling is machined at the knob factory

https://i.imgur.com/Ac2Tb1F.mp4

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

knob factory

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Neon Noodle posted:

knob factory

it's called yospos tyvm

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

fart simpson posted:

im doing procedural straight knurling with vector displacement. highly recommended.

Neat. Mind sharing the rest of the nodes? My experience with vector displacement has turned out to be less knob factory and more blob factory.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Friend posted:

Neat. Mind sharing the rest of the nodes? My experience with vector displacement has turned out to be less knob factory and more blob factory.

well i didnt bother saving the blend file but its basically like this:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

so basically, im starting with object coordinates because they put the center of the object at 0,0 instead of in one of the corners. what you also want to do is subtract the original object coordinates from your modifications before applying the displacement, or else everything is just gonna get added on top of the original object and make it huge.

if you know anything about polar coordinates, then you know that the angle from the center point of a circle is atan2(y, x) which for ease of use in blender i map to 0 to 1 instead of -pi to pi that atan2 spits out. since i dont want to displace along the z axis, im just looking for this particular angle and it gives me this:

then i draw the shape of the cutout i want in the rgb curves. i basically want it to push toward the center point in the middle of the 0, 1 range:

it doesnt really look good yet because what you really want is to repeat that pattern over and over around the edge. there's a math trick where you multiply your scaling factor and then take the fraction part of it basically a modulo operator i guess?

finally what i wanted to do was multiply by x and y while holding z to be the same, so that way the x and y get pushed inward in the shape of the curve i drew out

does that make sense?

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 19, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nodevember never ends

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

nodevember awaked something in me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate i remember trying to make that circular gradient once and the trig hosed me over, it took a long time but once I managed it

the rainbow which has been a mainstay of my rendering forever came about as me thinking “hey maybe I can use texture coords to make a circle” and figured out by hand how to do pythagoras theorem and poo poo I was proud of myself

good work

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
the school of rad knobs

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fart simpson posted:

nodevember awaked something in me

Nodevember Spawned a Monster (project)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just in case someone was desperate to touch a woman
https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/character/woman/seductive-girl-c3bc3aa5-992b-4561-88a2-16ca6e0fa879

I am joking that'd be weird but it can be fun to gently caress around with a model and see what stupid poo poo you might get at the end of it

https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models

like why arent you giving these people jobs? https://www.cgtrader.com/free-3d-models/scanned/various/set-of-3d-men-presenting-a-project

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also

for ages I'd been frustrated with how poorly glass seemed to be working with volumes inside, so much so that id basically given up on it

and then discovered this which was in the water shader included in the flip fluids addon

it basically makes it work like I want it to, but why? i doubt the pricnupled shader is broken.

anyway this is a TIP