Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
why would you teach Unix programming but not the Unix that people actually use

like what’s the point of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

eschaton posted:

why would you teach Unix programming but not the Unix that people actually use

like what’s the point of that

macOS is on servers and embedded products????

pram
Jun 10, 2001

DoomTrainPhD posted:

there’s absolutely no reason to use macOS for posix tools when docker exists on macOS and you can just use a real Linux on macOS.

you dont even need docker anymore, the virtualization framework in big sur natively boots a linux kernel + image

https://github.com/evansm7/vftool

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
some people, when they realise their os is a pos, think “I know, I’ll use virtualized linux”. now they have two pos

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Athas posted:

When I teach Unix programming to undergrads

if you are teaching them about writing stuff that needs to run on multiple platforms, #ifdef hell is not a topic you can avoid

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

industry will teach them various hells quickly enough if needed, somewhat principled reasoning about synchronization is best done picking one set of primitives and focusing on that.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
It's also great that macOS has a gcc that is not gcc, and bundled clang has disabled OpenMP for some reason.

I've started telling my students to just install Ubuntu in a VirtualBox because I cannot figure out how the hell their weird pseudo-Unix is supposed to work.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
just have your students ssh into the linux or Unix machines in the lab? surely you have that last bastion of actual multi user setups

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Phobeste posted:

just have your students ssh into the linux or Unix machines in the lab? surely you have that last bastion of actual multi user setups

Universally student-accessible shared systems were removed years ago, unfortunately.

Athas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Dec 17, 2020

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
list a lenovo laptop below the textbook in course requirements

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Phobeste posted:

Athas posted:

Universally student-accessible shared systems were removed year ago, unfortunately.

and stop calling them Shirley

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

LINUX stands for LINUX Is Not UNix

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

LINUX stands for LINUX Is Not UNix

big if true

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
linux is not UX

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Athas posted:

It's also great that macOS has a gcc that is not gcc, and bundled clang has disabled OpenMP for some reason.

I've started telling my students to just install Ubuntu in a VirtualBox because I cannot figure out how the hell their weird pseudo-Unix is supposed to work.

the weird pseudo unix is gnu/linux, op. possibly you should stop claiming to teach a unix programming course if you freak out every time a student tries to program a unix?

call it what it is, i.e. linux programming, macos is no longer relevant, problem solved

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

infernal machines posted:

linux is not UX

you can say that again!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

programming a Unix and not willing to deal with weird incompatibilities...bro do you even #ifdef

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the most unix-like thing about osx is having random oss tools that are old enough to drive

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

the most unix-like thing about osx is having random oss tools that are old enough to drive

yeah, this is a core part of the unix experience, as anyone who’s used solaris, hp-ux, etc. can testify.

loving lol at linux scrubs who expect a unix to have all the latest non-standard gnu’s-not-unix extensions.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soricidus posted:

yeah, this is a core part of the unix experience, as anyone who’s used solaris, hp-ux, etc. can testify.

loving lol at linux scrubs who expect a unix to have all the latest non-standard gnu’s-not-unix extensions.

the "latest features" like unnamed posix semaphores, which have been around since at least 1993 when macos was still called NeXTStep

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Soricidus posted:

god yes. solaris 10 changing the behaviour of "ps" just to gently caress with you.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

linux is not UX

:nice:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mycophobia posted:

you can say that again!

:same:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

josh04 posted:

god yes. solaris 10 changing the behaviour of "ps" just to gently caress with you.

solaris shop I worked in had gnu ps installed as part of the standard image

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

josh04 posted:

My favorite solaris-ism is the behavior of killall.

On Linux it kills all processes that match a given command line argument. On Solaris it doesn't and just, well, kills all the processes.

Lots and lots of Linux people with no Solaris experience have brought down Solaris boxes like that. It's like a rite of passage.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

spankmeister posted:

On Linux it kills all processes that match a given command line argument. On Solaris it doesn't and just, well, kills all the processes.

Lots and lots of Linux people with no Solaris experience have brought down Solaris boxes like that. It's like a rite of passage.

lol wtf

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

UNIX philosophy in action. It does one thing very well

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

spankmeister posted:

Yep yep yep, die init die!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

spankmeister posted:

I have heard this tale many times, but I never heard an explanation for why Solaris killall does this. When is it useful?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You need a way to kill all the processes so you can unmount all the filesystems before powering off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
minimal install of redhat/centos ships with no killall. instead, there's some weird killall5 executable in one of the sbins that murders pid 1, thus hanging your system, so if you try to tabcomplete killall it can catch you off-guard. hasn't happened to me yet because i always type it out, but i've seen it happen to someone once at a previous workplace

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Athas posted:

I have heard this tale many times, but I never heard an explanation for why Solaris killall does this. When is it useful?

linux is the odd one here fwiw. the killall in solaris and aix and hpux and so on are direct descendants of the sysv version

pram
Jun 10, 2001
Orthodox UNIX

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

why does this killall command kill all

it is a mystery

mystes
May 31, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

why does this killall command kill all

it is a mystery
Does the solaris tar command also tar and feather lovely posters?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess that would explain what happened to nbsd

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

mystes posted:

Does the solaris tar command also tar and feather lovely posters?

i mean u could’ve gone for tar stands for tape archiver but there’s no tape involved qed

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

pram posted:

linux is the odd one here fwiw. the killall in solaris and aix and hpux and so on are direct descendants of the sysv version

freebsd and macos have the same behavior as linux tho, for once it’s not just gnu not being unix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Soricidus posted:

freebsd and macos have the same behavior as linux tho, for once it’s not just gnu not being unix

looks like it didnt exist until sysv. bsd broke off from far more ancient versions of unix. the man page for freebsd killall says:

The killall command appeared in FreeBSD 2.1

which means they 100% just copied whatever linux was doing. it wasnt present in bsd 4.4 so it wouldnt have been in nextstep either

theres your worthless unix history lesson for today