Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Expanse, Season 5: There was a button. I pushed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I prefer

The Expanse, Season 5: Jesus Christ, that's really how you go through life, isn't it?

a nigga who smoke
Feb 26, 2007

coughin' and chokin' constantly
The Expanse, S5:

T-man posted:

- be gay
- do crimes
- no capitalism in space

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Just curious, but does the aliens and what happened ever get explained or is it left as some great unknowable thing?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Luna Station reveal was cool because that’s absolutely what a lunar colony city would look like.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

twistedmentat posted:

Just curious, but does the aliens and what happened ever get explained or is it left as some great unknowable thing?

they came from space op

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gonz posted:

The Luna Station reveal was cool because that’s absolutely what a lunar colony city would look like.

I liked how it was named Lovell City. Amazon should have shelled out and had a painting for Tom Hanks from Apollo 13 in the background.

T-man posted:

they came from space op

Wow that's hosed up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

twistedmentat posted:

It's still unresolved in the books if that's what you mean. Who knows what they're planning giving next season is the last, maybe we'll get a resolution

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

Cojawfee posted:

I think I prefer

The Expanse, Season 5: Jesus Christ, that's really how you go through life, isn't it?

I made it this. Sorry for stepping on your territory TVIV Mods.

What day does this drop weekly from now on? Same thing, Wednesdays?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

twistedmentat posted:

Show runners are being coy about what happens after S6, but if you really want to know: it is still on-going in the books and unlikely to be addressed before the second ~series finale~.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno if I like the portrayal of Filip in the show. I always imagined him to be an angry psychotic weirdo and he seems kinda nice and chill here.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
I thought he was just a teenager indoctrinated by his emotionally manipulative terrorist dad. It's not weird that he would nice with his crew.

Although he does leave one of his crew to die and just watches it happen like it's no big deal. But I think the big timer showing "30 seconds until impact" weakened that scene, there clearly wouldn't have been time to save the guy anyway.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lol when the hell is he nice and chill? He's the second most hateable character the show has ever produced next to his dad imo and no I did not forget about Murtrey.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Show runners are being coy about what happens after S6, but if you really want to know: it is still on-going in the books and unlikely to be addressed before the second ~series finale~.

They said that they are not adapting any material after Book 6 which means, the show is unlikely to mention them in any meaningful way or they will become like the Night King in the final season of GoT.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

I dunno if I like the portrayal of Filip in the show. I always imagined him to be an angry psychotic weirdo and he seems kinda nice and chill here.

Surely this is sarcasm

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Surely this is sarcasm

IRC Filip in the books is described as basically being Elliot Rodgers. Awkward, angry, short tempered, obsessed with other people's opinion about him and he has a huge rear end victim and inferiority complex. Most people don't really like him. What about the character in the show reflected that? He seemed like a normal charismatic dude. In the book he was basically seething with impotent rage every time he spoke with Naomi, being barely able to control himself.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Dunno how to talk about Filip without going into book spoilers. We should probably let the show get further with him and see how his trajectory plays out

Dexanth
Dec 4, 2003

The last thing an ice cream cone ever sees
So I have spent this entire series thinking that Amos was played by Aaron Douglas and today realized that was not the case.

Mind blown.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

IRC Filip in the books is described as basically being Elliot Rodgers. Awkward, angry, short tempered, obsessed with other people's opinion about him and he has a huge rear end victim and inferiority complex. Most people don't really like him. What about the character in the show reflected that? He seemed like a normal charismatic dude. In the book he was basically seething with impotent rage every time he spoke with Naomi, being barely able to control himself.

...and that's how he was in the show too? I definitely don't think he seemed at all like a normal charismatic dude.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I got calm / cool under pressure vibes, but that also could just be he's dead inside from all the loss and doesn't feel anymore. We haven't seen enough of him to draw any real conclusions. He watched a team member blow up without comment, he's at least good about not showing emotion if he's got them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Until they directly named her ship I thought Drummer's computers were DeWALT branded and was laughing about it the entire time

Same, honestly.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

GABA ghoul posted:

He’s nice to some people, when they have utility for him. He was super chummy with his shipmates right until saving them meant jeopardizing his op. Out of the blue kidnapping your mother does not seem nice or chill, but definitely cleaves towards psycho...

pixaal posted:

I got calm / cool under pressure vibes, but that also could just be he's dead inside from all the loss and doesn't feel anymore. We haven't seen enough of him to draw any real conclusions. He watched a team member blow up without comment, he's at least good about not showing emotion if he's got them.

The actor did a great job with that scene. I got the impression that he would have saved him if it was convenient, but also got great pleasure from essentially ordering someone’s death ~for the cause~.

TommyGun85 posted:

They said that they are not adapting any material after Book 6 which means, the show is unlikely to mention them in any meaningful way or they will become like the Night King in the final season of GoT.

They’ve hinted at life after Amazon. Whether that is a third network or film adaptations or just pipe dreams remains to be seen. :shrug:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I noticed that the Roci's flight software was branded as RociOS v5.01 this season. Was that shown before in previous seasons?

Bespoke flight software can't have been cheap, but keeping on flying with an OS developed by a none-too-friendy military superpower probably wouldn't have been sustainable.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Slashrat posted:

I noticed that the Roci's flight software was branded as RociOS v5.01 this season. Was that shown before in previous seasons?

Bespoke flight software can't have been cheap, but keeping on flying with an OS developed by a none-too-friendy military superpower probably wouldn't have been sustainable.

I could be wrong, but I think most/all independent ships have had their own, proprietary OS like that. Probably like Ubuntu or something.

Now I need to go back and meticulously scan every ship screen from the previous seasons...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

It's Naomi that's good with computers, pretty sure I remember her doing some bug fixes / custom code comments.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

GABA ghoul posted:

Book Filip vs show Filip.

https://twitter.com/Silvanatorr20/status/1339289277008650241?s=20

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

The books aren't done so this is unanswerable. More alien info does come over time. I suspect that after it's all over they'll still mostly be unfathomably advanced, inexplicable precursor aliens but at this point the authors are the only ones who know.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

pixaal posted:

He watched a team member blow up without comment, he's at least good about not showing emotion if he's got them.

This is what marks him as an irredeemable poo poo in my eye. Any belter would realise there's no time and stop the other dude going back and also dying. Space is poo poo like that. But dont ignore the guys cry for help. I can easily imagine Ashford or Drummer apologising and saluting their soon-to-be-fallen comrade. To stand in silence and watch the guy die, thats hosed up.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is what marks him as an irredeemable poo poo in my eye. Any belter would realise there's no time and stop the other dude going back and also dying. Space is poo poo like that. But dont ignore the guys cry for help. I can easily imagine Ashford or Drummer apologising and saluting their soon-to-be-fallen comrade. To stand in silence and watch the guy die, thats hosed up.

die in darkness, beratna.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Are you forgetting that he's a teenager who was raised by a terrorist father? He's brainwashed and there's still time to fix it before he's stuck in his ways. This is likely Naomi's last shot at prying him out of that life and she feels guilty, she 100% has to try.

Like yeah he's hosed on the path he's on but people do get pulled out of stuff like this and end up piecing together functional but not normal lives full of PTSD.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah keep in mind he's like, 15 and spent his whole life in a nutjob's terrorist cult. Irredeemable is a bit much.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hmm, maybe. Lets go with "extremely hard to redeem, and an absolute doo-doo head"

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

They actually softened this up a bit, iirc in the books, he actually tells the guy that they're coming to help them, but doesn't do so

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

I could be wrong, but I think most/all independent ships have had their own, proprietary OS like that. Probably like Ubuntu or something.

Now I need to go back and meticulously scan every ship screen from the previous seasons...

If I was asked to develop versioning architecture for a large organization, I would do so like a git with each ship being their own branch that would pull from a core branch as appropriate when the core branch is updated, but flexible for ship specific deviations. Since you'd have to somehow distinguish each one and no two warships in the same structure would have the same name, using the ships name in the branch title kind of makes sense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hmm, maybe. Lets go with "extremely hard to redeem, and an absolute doo-doo head"

This is fair.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

He’s nice to some people, when they have utility for him. He was super chummy with his shipmates right until saving them meant jeopardizing his op. Out of the blue kidnapping your mother does not seem nice or chill, but definitely cleaves towards psycho...

I really don't want to start an argument here, but people can totally be soulless psychopath murderers and still be charismatic, chill and likable. But that's not how Filip is in the book. That's Marco's thing. Filip is portrayed like a weirdo loser that nobody likes. And him failing to fit into his larger-than-life psycho dad's shoes is kinda part of his arc.

It's not a big thing and I'm looking forward to see what they do with his character. It just isn't how I imagined him while reading the book. But the show isn't the books so that's ok.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

in the book we see him get worse and worse as Book Things happen, so they could be setting up to do the same downward spiral adapted for the show's timeline.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
That Khlav Khalash reference in ep 2 was loving amazing, I had to pause I was laughing so hard at “No bowl! Stick, stick!”.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
ONLY CRAB JUICE

AND KHAV KHALASH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I don't disagree that he seems like a poo poo, but isn't this exactly what he did? He said "I will tell my father of your heroism" or something which seems like pretty much the same thing.