Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Mr. Fix It posted:

nice Tenet deleted footage

You've RUINED the movie now, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Nocheez posted:

bad flight stuff

The worst I ever saw was at 0545 in the Perth Airport, there was two dudes holding up a barely-conscious dude to try and get him on his flight to his mining job in Western Australia. They were saying things like "the flight's nearly an hour and a half, he can sleep the whole way there, once he gets into camp we'll tell them he got sick on the plane and has to stay in his room all day. Mate if he loses out on this week's pay his wife's gunna kill him".

I was going to my flight so I didn't see the aftermath but I'm pretty sure if you're so drunk/hungover you can't stand under your own power, you probably don't get to get on a flight. I'd be worried he was going to piss himself, or worse.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Swimming in salmonella

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Memento posted:

The worst I ever saw was at 0545 in the Perth Airport, there was two dudes holding up a barely-conscious dude to try and get him on his flight to his mining job in Western Australia. They were saying things like "the flight's nearly an hour and a half, he can sleep the whole way there, once he gets into camp we'll tell them he got sick on the plane and has to stay in his room all day. Mate if he loses out on this week's pay his wife's gunna kill him".

I was going to my flight so I didn't see the aftermath but I'm pretty sure if you're so drunk/hungover you can't stand under your own power, you probably don't get to get on a flight. I'd be worried he was going to piss himself, or worse.

I was almost that bad on my last work trip to Vegas. Had a 6am flight so I could be back at work in Seattle by 9am, and of course the last night we were in Vegas we spent the entire time doing shots on a vendor's expense account. I got dropped off at the airport needing to use my roller bag to stand, so drunk I had double vision, and was still feeling it 3 hours later when I landed. Pretty sure I smelled godawful at work, and I know I didn't get anything done.

Still not as bad as when I puked all over the entrance to a client's bathroom due to a combination of too many time zones and too much lovely Spanish beer. I cleaned it up as best as I could, but all day you could smell the puke curdling in the hot office. If they didn't keep the thermostat sent to 30c in that office it wouldn't have been so bad, but instead every time you walked into the lobby where the bathrooms were you were hit with a stench wall.

The crazy thing is they still let me come back 2 months later for the next batch of work.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

My favourite part about that plutonium site is that they never designed the tanks to be actually emptyable, resulting in it removable fractions of plutonium nitrate in every pump, tank and is pipe on site. I may be insane but it seems first thing you’d want to do when designing nuclear pipe work is making sure it’s possible to remotely drain everything.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Drone_Fragger posted:

My favourite part about that plutonium site is that they never designed the tanks to be actually emptyable, resulting in it removable fractions of plutonium nitrate in every pump, tank and is pipe on site. I may be insane but it seems first thing you’d want to do when designing nuclear pipe work is making sure it’s possible to remotely drain everything.

Leaving a bit in a tank isn't a huge operational problem, the residual just gets mixed every time you refill it.

All the pipes not being resistant to the chemicals used to dissolve the plutonium is a loving :master: though.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

At what point do you decide to give up and put a chernobyl-style sarcophagus over the entire site?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Man, I just remember Oak Ridge being the pioneer site for the first LFTR. This I did not need.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Give the Treasury Department ownership of the metal and suddenly people will find a way to control the stuff.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Oh, Jesus, that reminds me of a story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqWal_EmBg

This is a pilot who lost pressure in his cabin and went hypoxic without realizing it. His voice is super hosed up and he's saying all kinds of crazy poo poo like "unable to control altitude, unable to control heading, unable to control airspeed, otherwise everything A-ok." ATC started trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, eventually rumbled it, and was trying to talk this guy into reducing altitude while his brain was turning into pudding. It's one of the most terrifying things I've listened to.

If you're worried about listening to a guy die, he makes it. ATC gets him down to a safe altitude and his brain starts firing on all cylinders again almost instantly. But holy poo poo was it a near thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Dan Bass passed out at altitude due to a cracked muffler. The trim of his plane was such that as the fuel drained, it went into a relatively gentle descent. This happened in Minnesota in the winter, so the plane comes to rest in a snowy field. The crash shattered the windscreen. Once he got some fresh air through his lungs, he woke up and stumbled over to a farmhouse.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Platystemon posted:

Dan Bass passed out at altitude due to a cracked muffler. The trim of his plane was such that as the fuel drained, it went into a relatively gentle descent. This happened in Minnesota in the winter, so the plane comes to rest in a snowy field. The crash shattered the windscreen. Once he got some fresh air through his lungs, he woke up and stumbled over to a farmhouse.

drat i would have bought a lottery ticket after that

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Would I be correct in assuming that altitude makes you more susceptible to passing out from CO poisoning, so that you pass out from it quicker than you would at sea level, but are able to wake up if brought to a lower altitude?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

that HAS to be new orleans

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

shame on an IGA posted:

No room for a daiquiri cup holder.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Where's this guy when you need him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy1mbG2dGXU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

shame on an IGA posted:

Savannah, Georgia. https://nypost.com/2019/10/18/georgia-man-fills-up-motorized-coffin-in-bizarre-viral-video/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GotLag posted:

Would I be correct in assuming that altitude makes you more susceptible to passing out from CO poisoning, so that you pass out from it quicker than you would at sea level, but are able to wake up if brought to a lower altitude?

You are correct. There are actually four different kinds of hypoxia:

- hypoxic hypoxia, where the air you're breathing doesn't have a high enough concentration/partial pressure of oxygen
- hypemic hypoxia, where your blood cells can't bind the oxygen properly no matter how much you breathe
- stagnant hypoxia, where your blood isn't moving around your body properly and carrying the oxygen where it needs to be
- histotoxic hypoxia, where the other cells of your body are poisoned and can't use the oxygen that is being delivered

and in some situations they can be combined and exacerbate each other.

At altitude you suffer from hypoxic hypoxia because the air is thin. When you breathe carbon monoxide, it binds to your hemoglobin and can't be released, preventing your blood from absorbing oxygen and giving you hypemic hypoxia. The two combined are especially deadly. Moving to fresh air/descending may help if it's not too late, but if you've breathed enough CO you can't be saved even if you start breathing pure oxygen. It takes literally days for your blood to completely recover after a CO exposure.

Stagnant hypoxia is also a factor in aircraft, whether it's just from poor circulation and sitting in a chair for hours, or from G-loading in maneuvering flight. G-loc is a sort of extreme acute stagnant hypoxia. And finally there are a number of poisons that cause histotoxic hypoxia, damaging your body's ability to use the available oxygen, but the most common is just plain old ethanol, which is why pilots are legally forbidden from flying for 8 hours after any alcoholic drink regardless of their BAC level.

:eng101:

emf
Aug 1, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Along those lines:

https://twitter.com/ademrudin/status/1339404811364515840?s=20

Basically, the NRC sets very strict standards for nuclear fuel handling and processing.
But Nuclear Weapons processing is almost entirely DOD/DOE decided, and it results in some scary poo poo that will turn you white as a sheet....
I don't understand twitters and my searching hasn't been fruitful thus far; can someone please link the report that this is from. TIA

Micr0chiP
Mar 17, 2007
Not osha because it was in my home but my small triple outlet, that is connecting 2 power strips (3 outs+4 outs) started sparkling and melting, im glad i was awake and heard the sparkling or else things could get ugly.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

I started an engineering degree this year and have learnt so goddamn much from reading this thread, I love it.

Edit for content: I used to (pre-covid) work as a steadicam operator, which is all running around film sets while bolted in to a heavy, expensive camera harness, and if I get time and people want I’ll write up some stories about the stupid poo poo me and others like me were expected to do as part of a normal day’s work by producers who haven’t heard of risk assessments.

occluded fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 18, 2020

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

occluded posted:

I started an engineering degree this year and have learnt so goddamn much from reading this thread, I love it.

Edit for content: I used to (pre-covid) work as a steadicam operator, which is all running around film sets while bolted in to a heavy, expensive camera harness, and if I get time and people want I’ll write up some stories about the stupid poo poo me and others like me were expected to do as part of a normal day’s work by producers who haven’t heard of risk assessments.

:justpost:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/axdzkjw.mp4

Wait until the end.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Omfg

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

occluded posted:

I'd love to read these! :allears:

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Micr0chiP posted:

Not osha because it was in my home but my small triple outlet, that is connecting 2 power strips (3 outs+4 outs) started sparkling and melting, im glad i was awake and heard the sparkling or else things could get ugly.

Please don't burn your house down by overloading your outlets.

Also miiiiight want to get your breakers tested.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

what are they trying to do?

leave it to firefighters to look like a bunch of bitches on the ropes, smdh

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

emf posted:

I don't understand twitters and my searching hasn't been fruitful thus far; can someone please link the report that this is from. TIA

That thread covers two documents, but I found them both. The first is this Denver Post article; the second is this super long PDF.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

20 Blunts posted:

what are they trying to do?

leave it to firefighters to look like a bunch of bitches on the ropes, smdh

Looks like that tree is unstable and they're trying to control it? The things on either side of it seem to be utility poles.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

haveblue posted:

Looks like that tree is unstable and they're trying to control it? The things on either side of it seem to be utility poles.

I mean, it's not like there isn't a truck right there to tie it off on.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

shelley posted:

That thread covers two documents, but I found them both. The first is this Denver Post article; the second is this super long PDF.

Thanks for the PDF link!

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Maybe there's a cat up the tree they're trying to get down.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe there's a cat up the tree they're trying to get down.

That would explain the dog trying to speed things up.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Boogalo posted:

Please don't burn your house down by overloading your outlets.

Maybe an AFCI would have helped here instead of a standard breaker? I'm contemplating swapping one in because my new-old house is full of old, brittle wiring.

Edit: Lmao, nevermind. I somehow missed the part where they connected two power strips to the splitter.

azurite fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 19, 2020

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

I forgot to include "in time" at the end of my post, the guy is very lucky.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Trench collapse at a construction site in Northern Virginia, 1 dead and 1 rescued.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2020/12/1-dead-1-hospitalized-after-trench-collapse-in-fairfax-county/

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

kazmeyer posted:

Oh, Jesus, that reminds me of a story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IqWal_EmBg

This is a pilot who lost pressure in his cabin and went hypoxic without realizing it. His voice is super hosed up and he's saying all kinds of crazy poo poo like "unable to control altitude, unable to control heading, unable to control airspeed, otherwise everything A-ok." ATC started trying to figure out what the gently caress was going on, eventually rumbled it, and was trying to talk this guy into reducing altitude while his brain was turning into pudding. It's one of the most terrifying things I've listened to.

If you're worried about listening to a guy die, he makes it. ATC gets him down to a safe altitude and his brain starts firing on all cylinders again almost instantly. But holy poo poo was it a near thing.

This was both cool and terrifying.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Cartoon Man posted:

Trench collapse at a construction site in Northern Virginia, 1 dead and 1 rescued.

https://wtop.com/fairfax-county/2020/12/1-dead-1-hospitalized-after-trench-collapse-in-fairfax-county/

are you shore?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Boogalo posted:

How can you test them aside from intentionally creating an overload? Even "just" creating a short with a fused connection that has a slightly higher rating than the breaker still seems super unsafe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Loser
May 27, 2004

Sentient Data posted:

How can you test them aside from intentionally creating an overload? Even "just" creating a short with a fused connection that has a slightly higher rating than the breaker still seems super unsafe

Then hire a licensed electrician to test the breakers. Or, keep using hope that if there is an overload your breakers open and don't get toasty warm and start burning your place down from the inside of the walls.