Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Julio Cruz posted:

god BBC news is such a loving shitshow

they had a glowing report on some foodbank which was really ~*~making a difference~*~ and no-one involved was allowed to come within a mile of saying "hey maybe relying on private charity isn't actually the best way of dealing with this"

Sure you could watch the BBC News but you'd get more valuable information from watching series 10 of Taskmaster, the best and most important TV show since The Wire went off the air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

happyhippy posted:

I maybe reading this wrong, but loving hell its more farcical than that.
The UK wants the right to tell the EU what it can and can not fund or invest in.
Take any product or service, if the UK wants to make it and sell, the EU can't invest money in that same product anywhere within the EU as that would be making competition against the UK.

No, no I cna't believe this. No one is this incredibly stupid right? I mean Boris went to oxford so he had to have a least a modicum of intelligence, right? Jesus.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think going to oxford really correlates with having any degree of intelligence as much as it correlates with being posh.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

happyhippy posted:

I maybe reading this wrong, but loving hell its more farcical than that.
The UK wants the right to tell the EU what it can and can not fund or invest in.
Take any product or service, if the UK wants to make it and sell, the EU can't invest money in that same product anywhere within the EU as that would be making competition against the UK.

No it's not that bad. It's just:

kustomkarkommando posted:

I mean if you remember that state aid doesn't necessarily mean direct cash injections but also selective tax breaks and sweetheart tax agreements it entirely tracks that the Tories are chomping at the bit to start cutting deals with companies who just so happen to be run by their mates to "stimulate progress"

And the UK wants to have as open access as possible for all its goods to the EU and also be about to set its own policies about how it can support them. The EU disagrees because that isn't a level playing field.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Have you looked at actual like I dunno stats? Doesn't mean you turn out any good in real life though.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nutapii posted:

He's actually always been a fat gently caress, he just wears oversized suit jackets for the optical illusion of being slim and tall, and thus eccentric as opposed to owner baron.

Note the straining button on the left.

Ain't none of that flowing freely from chest to waist, it's all filled, again straining button lower left.

Stop Making Sense is fantastic

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Venomous posted:

Oh good, Brexit Britain has become Kafka's Castle, with all the bureaucratic catch-22s it involves to keep businesses afloat

More like Kefka’s Tower: a colossal pile of rubbish, lorded over by an insane madman.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Being fat isn't bad.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Being Rees-Mogg on the other hand, is very bad indeed.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Being fat isn’t bad, the ability to get fat through consumption from immoral wealth accumulation via the manipulation of the levers capital from a position of control within the upper class however,

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Continuity NIP posted:

Stop Making Sense is fantastic

"Same as it ever was" wouldn't be a bad slogan for the Tories by this point.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

So is it bad if I go and have some cheese on toast? The microwave dial twists and pings.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So is it bad if I go and have some cheese on toast? The microwave dial twists and pings.

No. Post brexit you will need at least 4 lbs of potatoes and half a pound of cheese to get enough protein to survive till the next day.

Speaking of which. I am craving fish and chaps so I'm gonna make my way to 10 downing

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Fish and chaps is a boarding school hazing ritual and I won’t be persuaded otherwise

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Fish and chaps is a boarding school hazing ritual and I won’t be persuaded otherwise

Oh that's fish and lads. You know those eton boys can be quite
.. rambunctious

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish and chaps is a sit down chippy where the waiters are all hunky men wearing cowboy outfits.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Fish and chaps is a sit down chippy where the waiters are all hunky men wearing cowboy outfits.

What's the secret knock that the tories use to get into the private booths?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

As a fat person, I can 100% confirm that being fat is, in fact, bad. Though I’ve lost almost six stone this year, so I’m working on it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is doubly impressive given the year.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You may have needed those 6 stones fkr the coming year of toast and eggs.

Unironic: good job dude. I lost 100lbs in prep to join the military seven years ago. Feels loving great. I have gained wait due to pandemic.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

OwlFancier posted:

That is doubly impressive given the year.

Yeah it's good going.

I'm really jealous of the people who were able to use this year as a motivator to get into fitness or learn a hobby/skill. I must have gained at least two stone just sitting around drinking Guinness and watching poo poo TV for a year.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've put a bit of weight back on but mercifully my weight rarely varies much. I've been pretty solid between 17 and 18 stone for the better part of a decade whatever I eat. Was trying to get it down last year and got close to 17 but it went back up again this year.

Ah well, hopefully next year might be a bit better.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/thhamilton/status/1339639229362692104?s=19

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Ah well, hopefully next year might be a bit better.

You fool, you’ve doomed us all

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Maybe she should stop painting such things if she's going to upset people with the obvious revelations.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

After finishing my last shift at work yesterday my employer rang me to say they're cutting my hours down by 2/3 when I go back in January but thanks for all the hard work I've done this year.

Very cool of them as now I can't pay rent and the Christmas break doesn't tend to have many jobs advertised. I've been asking them about hours since November but they insisted I'd be fine and not to worry. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EETZVj4089w

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've lost around two stone during COVID from about 15.5.

It's amazing what not eating one or two big bags of crisps and a bunch of extra chocolate every week does. It's a lot easier to avoid snacking when I only buy food once a week, and I only buy enough for that week, and almost none of it is edible without cooking.

(Also portion control, but it's mostly not snacking)

I would be much, much happier if the trade-off for avoidable snacking that had not been 'no social interaction that's not on the internet' though.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

justcola posted:

After finishing my last shift at work yesterday my employer rang me to say they're cutting my hours down by 2/3 when I go back in January but thanks for all the hard work I've done this year.

Very cool of them as now I can't pay rent and the Christmas break doesn't tend to have many jobs advertised. I've been asking them about hours since November but they insisted I'd be fine and not to worry. lol

Sorry to hear that, dude.
For all that being a 'frontline' worker for the NHS has sucked this year, I am lucky that my job security has never been in doubt.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

justcola posted:

Can't they furlough you?

E: I want the Brazilian version of the vaccine https://twitter.com/SamPancher/status/1339704422201483270

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 18, 2020

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

thespaceinvader posted:

It's amazing what not eating one or two big bags of crisps and a bunch of extra chocolate every week does.

As dictated by universal laws I have been forced against my will to consume more than the usual amount of snack foods to absorb the sudden excess, and thus balance and harmony is maintained

:yum:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/BenGartside/status/1339832394451480577?s=19

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Lungboy posted:

Can't they furlough you?

They're stopping furlough in January (even though its been extended?) - they had furloughed every other member of staff in my department this year except me as I was working on a project teaching people who were recently homeless basic IT skills and how to go on the internet. I'm glad I helped them like, just a bit of a kick in the teeth to find out before Christmas.

:capitalism:, baby!

I hadn't been checking the news recently, but looks like coronavirus is kicking off too! Happy Mad Friday

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1339851685666144258?s=19

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Moved my meagre savings out of pound sterling and into Taiwanese dollars today in anticipation of Brexit. Signalling that Britain is still a global powerhouse really well, Boris.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

justcola posted:

They're stopping furlough in January (even though its been extended?) - they had furloughed every other member of staff in my department this year except me as I was working on a project teaching people who were recently homeless basic IT skills and how to go on the internet. I'm glad I helped them like, just a bit of a kick in the teeth to find out before Christmas.

:capitalism:, baby!

I hadn't been checking the news recently, but looks like coronavirus is kicking off too! Happy Mad Friday

Why are they stopping furlough in January?? :psyduck: Are you a union member?

The coronavirus spike is due to them adding in 11k of missing cases from Wales that were known about but left off due to an IT upgrade.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Yeah but look at the OTHER side of the road, its fine!

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Project Hindsight working out.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Vigil for Virgil posted:

Yeah but look at the OTHER side of the road, its fine!

When everything in Britain has been exported...THEN you have my permission to Brexit

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

I had to drive to Ashford last Saturday for my cars MOT while the Op Brock testing was active. Going down the single counterflow lane at 50 wasn’t bad, but you would only need one breakdown or crash and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

What was funny was seeing the people who obviously didn’t see all the massive signs telling them where to go and were stuck with all the continental freight traffic crawling at 30 on the southbound carriageway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I had to drive to Ashford last Saturday for my cars MOT while the Op Brock testing was active. Going down the single counterflow lane at 50 wasn’t bad, but you would only need one breakdown or crash and the whole thing comes to a grinding halt.

What was funny was seeing the people who obviously didn’t see all the massive signs telling them where to go and were stuck with all the continental freight traffic crawling at 30 on the southbound carriageway.

Last year the signage was so poor/lane layout so confusing that there was an accident almost every day.