Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Talked some of the guys in the office (maybe not 'in' the office) into a last Friday before Christmas game of Defcon.

Then I saw this in the manual and have spent the last five minutes cracking up.

Brexit Survival Tips: Despite what communists tell you, stockpiling food will not help you ...

E: Oh man, new page too.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

The Guardian: Consistently on the Wrong Side of History has a nice ring to it as a tag line

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1339894547413917696

Zara doing good work again.

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1339525764560134145?s=20

JOE also doing good work. Mini Rishi is a great detail but Mogg's "yaaaaaaaa" got me laughing.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sanford posted:

The Guardian: Consistently on the Both Sides of History has a nice ring to it as a tag line
ftfy

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I hope there's a saved version of the actual speech Liz Truss gave somewhere, everything really spicy has been replaced with [political content] on the gov.uk website

because of course the rest of her speech about the policy of the government isn't political at all, no

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/fight-for-fairness

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Angepain posted:

I hope there's a saved version of the actual speech Liz Truss gave somewhere, everything really spicy has been replaced with [political content] on the gov.uk website

because of course the rest of her speech about the policy of the government isn't political at all, no

I love the bit at the top saying "exactly as delivered" - bar the huge black REDACTED lines we've put through it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The robot was malfunctioning and did in fact simply say [POLITICAL CONTENT] several times instead of loading the actual content.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

The robot was malfunctioning and did in fact simply say [POLITICAL CONTENT] several times instead of loading the actual content.

My mind immediatly jumped to Futurama and the robot date fry gets.

"I love you PHILLIP J FRY."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

RockyB posted:

Talked some of the guys in the office (maybe not 'in' the office) into a last Friday before Christmas game of Defcon.

I get that this is not real advice, but is there any logic to "the taller the building, the safer you are"? For either Brexit or nuclear war I suppose

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Jeremy Bulloch has passed away, so we've lost Darth Vader and Boba Fett in the space of a month.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Angepain posted:

Here you go:

https://capx.co/the-new-fight-for-fairness-liz-truss-speech-at-the-centre-for-policy-studies/

ed: This V is not part of the speech, I haven't quoted the speech.

I just looked at the 'about' for this capx lot "CapX was founded to make the case for popular capitalism: now more than ever, it is vital that the case is made for markets, innovation and competition, and for policies that deliver for the masses as well as the elites." (but at least they didn't redact the speech so you can see just how awful she is for yourself.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 18, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

Jeremy Bulloch has passed away, so we've lost Darth Vader and Boba Fett in the space of a month.

They've gone to the great reactor shaft/Sarlacc in the ground.

Just like getting a headstart on Brexit I guess

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Failed Imagineer posted:

I get that this is not real advice, but is there any logic to "the taller the building, the safer you are"? For either Brexit or nuclear war I suppose

The taller the building, the more expensive it was, and rich people don't suffer consequences.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

RockyB posted:

Brexit Survival Tips: Despite what communists tell you, stockpiling food will not help you ...

My dad used to be in the local civil defence back in the 70s.
He was one of what is popularly referred to these days as a 'community leader' though who decides who is a community leader, noone ever asked me, is a mystery.
I used to read through his manuals when he came back from the meetings.
They used to test the sirens sometimes back then - the old air raid sirens I guess they were - my parents always used to go into some kind of PTSD mode when they went off - they were from two of the most bombed out cities (Midlands, not London) in the UK in WW2 when they were toddlers and weren't 'evacuated'.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jedit posted:

Luckily we have the new series starring Hayden Christenson's Vader and (Mandalorian) Boba Fett is alive and well.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Had to go out and buy/post stuff and people were stockpiling like mad, literally got the last two big packs of arsewipe out of farmfoods, many gaps on shelves and overheard staff in b&m say that a delivery truck was a day late and no-one knows where it is- probably sat somewhere in kent.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nuclear war?
There's a slight dip in fallout radiation levels once you get above a few floors up and out of shot from the ground level settled dust, but the top 2-3 floors will also get a nasty dose from dust settling on the roof

Brexit?
Mixed bag really, good lines of sight and the ability to lob stuff off a balcony at a potential aggressor benefit the tower dweller but limited points of egress and the fact that the cladding is probably already on fire really put a downer on it

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the higher up you go the closer you are to The Lord Almighty :catstare:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would assume that tall buildings would probably be less safe as they would be likely to be hit directly by the pressure/heat wave of an above ground detonation.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Failed Imagineer posted:

taller buildings will be built with reinforced concrete so you'll be a smudge on the wall as its hollowed out but the basic structure will probably survive unless its hit directly

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

DesperateDan posted:

Had to go out and buy/post stuff and people were stockpiling like mad, literally got the last two big packs of arsewipe out of farmfoods, many gaps on shelves and overheard staff in b&m say that a delivery truck was a day late and no-one knows where it is- probably sat somewhere in kent.

Huh that's crazy. I went to Lidl yesterday and it was perfectly normal.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i'll bet dommie cummies did all scenario work in which he did away with lorries and had an army of self employed people delivering everything in hatchbacks :smug:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

RockyB posted:

The old TV show Threads is a more upbeat view on what Brexit will be like.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

crispix posted:

the higher up you go the closer you are to The Lord Almighty :catstare:
Unless you're a pantheist, they should get underground

or possibly flat-earther theistic satanists, conspiracy loons get their theology wound up in so many knots I'm sure these guys must exist

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Incidentally, DEFCON recently got a competitor (finally! not that I dislike defcon but I wanted more games like it) in ICBM https://store.steampow

Haven't played it yet but it looks cool and good and has very positive reviews.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/AdamRamsay/status/1339937480997543937?s=20

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Incidentally, DEFCON recently got a competitor (finally! not that I dislike defcon but I wanted more games like it) in ICBM https://store.steampow

Haven't played it yet but it looks cool and good and has very positive reviews.

Being a slitherine schill, I've played it - it scratches the same itch, but with much more of a techological choice - I've not played enough to see if there is an optimal build order or anything, but if you want to watch the world burn, its definatly a good contender.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

awfully antisemitic of keith this

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1339941739486978048?s=20

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Ugh. Just when I thought Keir couldn't get any worse he has to start pretending he's Christian. Full Tonty Blair speedrun Any%

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Caught the fuckin' rona. Merry Christmas.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

bustin keaton posted:

Caught the fuckin' rona. Merry Christmas.

:smith:

get better dude

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

Big Coleen Rooney energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwmzIiLr1uI

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Given the Tories, it's more likely they read it in one of Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books (possibly Patriot Games).

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Nutapii posted:

He's actually always been a fat gently caress, he just wears oversized suit jackets for the optical illusion of being slim and tall, and thus eccentric as opposed to owner baron.

Note the straining button on the left.

Ain't none of that flowing freely from chest to waist, it's all filled, again straining button lower left.

I feel the need to remind everyone that JRM said in a radio interview that "clever people" would have ignored the advice to stay in their homes at Grenfell so basically the poor stupid people did it to themselves.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Failed Imagineer posted:

When everything in Britain has been exported...THEN you have my permission to Brexit

https://twitter.com/canadiancarol1/status/1339938928091164672

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is that where all the tory money is going? The EU selling us stuff that we don't buy?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

even the charitable translation of this to "they sell more to us than we sell to them" is extremely moronic, there are many layers of madness at play here

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Can't wait for leavers to start eating rotten food because its good actually, wheres your blitz spirit. Opening up truck doors to fruit that has been liquefied and lapping up the juice like hogs.

Take back control!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They used to test the sirens sometimes back then - the old air raid sirens I guess they were - my parents always used to go into some kind of PTSD mode when they went off - they were from two of the most bombed out cities (Midlands, not London) in the UK in WW2 when they were toddlers and weren't 'evacuated'.

I grew up just outside Coventry and yeah the Luftwaffe did a hell of a number on us (and then the city planners finished what they started in the 50s). The school I went to was gutted; still had the fancy looking outer walls but everything inside was 50s institutional. The rest of Coventry town centre is Brutalist as gently caress as anyone who's been there can testify.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We still get siren tests every week on teeside towards redcar area because they're the chemical evacuation alarm in case the plant goes up and everyone in redcar needs to... I guess find somewhere quiet to die or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Sad to see Wigtman is a TERF, was one of the better greens.