Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

That was kind of a rushed ending and while I was like, no way Luke! I was kinda let down they didn’t get Ezra back with all the Thrawn stuff thrown out. The X-Wing cemented that I wasn’t getting Ezra back so more waiting. :smugjones:

I didn’t like that things were left dangling either. It didn’t feel like a cliffhanger more like they cut the story off. I had to take a quick washroom break and pausing it I saw it was only 45 minutes long. I could have used an extra 10 for sure. And then seeing that 7 of those minutes were credits and the short Boba scene. What the heck happened... I suppose covid. But they filmed everything else!

I’ll obviously be back next season but Christ, let’s start exploring these things left off from Rebels! This is a direct continuation of Clone Wars and that series. Don’t stray too hard!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

teagone posted:

Ehh, some of the fanservice in Rogue One is obnoxiously irrelevant to the story. At least Luke showing up has some narrative weight.

It's also a deus ex machina so powerful it makes the X-WIng pilots rescuing Din seem like a happy coincidence. Luke to the rescue is the narrative hand of god dropping a nuke on any and all tension in the scene. I was hooked on the episode all the way up until the X-Wing arrived and then everything just stopped so we could watch Luke for ten minutes. I like this show more the less it runs into big events and characters and overall I felt this season was a step down from the first.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I enjoyed the finale, hopefully the kid will be back with the main Mando again before long - him leaving was more of a surprise than Mando accidentally Riddicking himself by beating Gideon. In the meantime, here's hoping for a more Mandalorian (and less generally fan service-y) focused season 3, with all the headaches that ensue from having the Darksaber.

GimpInBlack posted:

I still can't decide whether Fett planting himself on the rancor grate to confront Bib Fortuna despite having full knowledge that it's a trapdoor into at the very least a dungeon and possibly a dungeon freshly stocked with murderbeasts was baller as hell or just dumb. I mean, I know the man has a jetpack, but come on! You have seen Jabba drop smug assholes down that thing!

The trapdoor is between the grate and throne, the grate is actually the safest place to stand.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

I’ll obviously be back next season but Christ, let’s start exploring these things left off from Rebels! This is a direct continuation of Clone Wars and that series. Don’t stray too hard!

I wanted one more season of Baby Yoda before we lost him to Jedi training, but now that he’s gone I’m sure we’ll start to pick up some of those threads. I don’t know how ready the Ahsoka show is but I’m guessing she’ll be back for an episode or two in Mando season 3, if only to fully set the stage for her own series.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

teagone posted:

We don't know Grogu's fate. Maybe during his training with Luke early on, Grogu can't like concentrate and is unbalanced or whatever. Luke eventually senses that same strong attachment Grogu has that Ahsoka sensed and eventually has to bring him back to Din. That's a possibility, right?

I mentioned this a few pages back, but Din still has the gearstick ball thingy from the Razor Crest. No way have we seen the last of Grogu.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

George H.W. oval office posted:

For all the talk of fundamentalists needing to shed their strict adherence to dogma I was a bit surprised that Bo wouldn't just be all gently caress it to the mythology of the darksaber

It’s not so much that she is adhering to the dogma, it’s that she knows the Clans adhere to the dogma. She needs to win the Darksaber in battle for her claim to the throne to be legitimate. I can’t tell if she was upset that Din has won it because she actually respected him and didn’t want to have to kill a comrade...or because she’s seen what he’s capable of and winning the Saber is not a sure thing.

Also...looks like Stage 3 Darktroopers don’t have phrik armor.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

teagone posted:

I love this idea actually. When it picks up Din's story again, could be The Book of Din, Volume 2. Would make sense of each episode being called a chapter.

Oh dammit, that makes too much sense. I don't love the idea, though, because I don't want to move on from Din.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vintersorg posted:

Nah I'm good. At the very least any plot threads from the cartoons should be very slowly and carefully established. If they make Clone Wars and Rebels required reading they'll alienate the majority of people watching.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stev posted:

Nah I'm good. At the very least any plot threads from the cartoons should be very slowly and carefully established. If they make Clone Wars and Rebels required reading they'll alienate the majority of people watching.

I mean, both shows are on D+ right now in their entirety, and Clone Wars is the first thing that pops up when you finish Mando. So the barrier for entry isn’t that incredibly high, especially since they just went in rapid succession “gently caress you, here’s Bo-Katan” and “gently caress you, here’s Ahsoka Tano, keep up plebs, we ain’t explaining poo poo!”

If people want to do the homework, they don’t have far to look.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arcsquad12 posted:

It's also a deus ex machina so powerful it makes the X-WIng pilots rescuing Din seem like a happy coincidence. Luke to the rescue is the narrative hand of god dropping a nuke on any and all tension in the scene. I was hooked on the episode all the way up until the X-Wing arrived and then everything just stopped so we could watch Luke for ten minutes. I like this show more the less it runs into big events and characters and overall I felt this season was a step down from the first.

Is it really a deus ex machina with the whole Tython episode and Ahsoka setting up a Jedi sensing Grogu though?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I liked the Luke Bomb because I think it would have been stupid to try and defuse the Grogu plotline while dancing around the most obvious candidate in the universe to send him to Jedi training with. It would have felt MORE forced to not have Luke be the one who answers the seeing stone call than to have some rando show up.

Also Ezra’s time travel world in the Force thing is dumb as hell, send it to the pit with most of the rest of Legends.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

At least the CGI was convincing enough to fool me into thinking they had simply recast Luke instead of him being a CGI fake :v:

I enjoyed it, though I still want Kyle Katarn :argh:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

It probably would have saved them a lot of trouble if Bo had just said "it's important that Gideon surrender to me because otherwise I'll need to kill whoever takes the Darksaber from him".

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The Ahsoka show with Dawson might be the continuing thread for Rebels.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

thrawn527 posted:

Oh dammit, that makes too much sense. I don't love the idea, though, because I don't want to move on from Din.

My hope for season 3 is that Din travels to Mandalore with Bo with the honest intention of passing the Darksaber to her without anybody losing face or losing life. Upon getting to Mandalore, Din sees the planet is in bad shape and a bunch Mandalorian Clans squabbling and acting very in-Mandalorian. Reluctantly, Din decides to take the throne to restore honor to the clans and get every body working together. Bo-Katan loses her poo poo and reforms Death Watch, thus becoming that season’s main bad guy.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Cartoon Man posted:

Anybody claiming “gently caress it I’m now done with Star Wars!” You’ll be back next season for Mando and Boba Fett, don’t lie...

I didn't see anyone say that. I will eagerly line up be spoon fed SW media and the Boba show announcement was the shining moment of the finale, but this show poo poo the bed too hard to come back for. To be clear I loved that they used de-aged Luke, and the only complaint I have with him is the stiff emotionless line delivery. The problem is wrapping a great season up with an uninspired and badly choreographed shoot out, as Gus delivers the most cringetastic dialog while the good guys cake walk through a boring boss fight. Noting felt earned so nothing felt like a pay-off, and Grogu leaving should have been a big emotional moment that was cut down into a "Sad to see you go, bye now" afterthought with no heart. Every moment just felt like an wet fart.

Plus most of the people I know that watch the show religiously aren't really SW fans, they just watch to see the cute green baby toddling through a dangerous adventure. A big percentage of the audience isn't going to stick around long if he's gone.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I was uploading a supercut of all of the hallway fight scenes by Force users (Maul/Vader/Luke) but Disney is autoblocking more than a few seconds of footage from the Mando hallways scene now; haha. Oh well!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
When I saw the X-wing arrive at the end, I thought Boba had called in the 2 pilots we've been seeing all season.

Then I realised it was just the one ship and I literally gasped.

Five minutes later, Artoo rolled in and I shouted "Motherfucker!" so loud I think the neighbours heard me.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

I haven't watched Clone Wars/Rebels, is the primary power of dark troopers being able to punch good? Because these robots will punch anything

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Grogu watching Luke through the lovely CRT screen on the bridge was me in 1985 watching the OT on my lovely CRT as a little kid via VHS rentals from my dumpy rear end Tennessee rural Video Magic rental store.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I found the part where the Darktrooper was punching Mando in the face to be hilarious.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Part of me was actually hoping Din would end up letting Gideon escape. It would've made for some great drama (though the Darksaber Ownership issue is, itself, potentially great drama). Also an excuse to have Cara leave the picture cause she's pissed at Din.

But no, Gideon had to do the stupid thing and try to cut a fool wearing a lightsaber resistant backpack... If you know everything why didn't you know that probably wasn't going to work!

I think he knew it probably wasn't going to work, but it might. If he beats Din, he can take the kid and flee to set up somewhere else. If Din wins, he gets the Darksaber - which then sets him and Bo-Katan against each other.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

stev posted:

Nothing they've done so far has really been like that, so not really necessary. Even if Thrawn showed up, it's just like, "here's this Grand Admiral and he has something to do with a Force user named Ezra" and it would be fine.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm still in favor of just pretending the Disney trilogy never happened so who needs to match the narrative threads of the Star Wars TV universe with the films?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean, both shows are on D+ right now in their entirety, and Clone Wars is the first thing that pops up when you finish Mando. So the barrier for entry isn’t that incredibly high, especially since they just went in rapid succession “gently caress you, here’s Bo-Katan” and “gently caress you, here’s Ahsoka Tano, keep up plebs, we ain’t explaining poo poo!”

If people want to do the homework, they don’t have far to look.

I had a hard time watching clone wars. It was really repetitive with some interesting ones in between.

I didn’t watch most of it when my roommate was going through it.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

^^^All you have to do with Clone Wars is watch arcs with your favorite characters or whatever. Som like, watch the Jar Jar episodes if he's your favorite. Most isn't even in order.

eke out posted:

I haven't watched Clone Wars/Rebels, is the primary power of dark troopers being able to punch good? Because these robots will punch anything

They aren't in them. They were basically old EU stuff appropriated for new Disney canon like Thrawn.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Darko posted:

I was uploading a supercut of all of the hallway fight scenes by Force users (Maul/Vader/Luke) but Disney is autoblocking more than a few seconds of footage from the Mando hallways scene now; haha. Oh well!

I like how Maul's force slaughter is a balance between the Luke/Vader slaughters in that he doesn't use a saber and is a bad guy who is half machine killing bad clones. Vader being nearly all machine killing good guys, Luke being mostly all human, killing machines. Lots of neat parallels.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harlock posted:

I'm still in favor of just pretending the Disney trilogy never happened so who needs to match the narrative threads of the Star Wars TV universe with the films?

It happened. Know why? Grogu’s blood is makin palpy baby.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

teagone posted:

I like how Maul's force slaughter is a balance between the Luke/Vader slaughters in that he doesn't use a saber and is a bad guy who is half machine killing bad clones. Vader being nearly all machine killing good guys, Luke being mostly all human, killing machines. Lots of neat parallels.

Yeah, and they all flowed together wonderfully without me having to really edit much with ship entrances and exits (and Vader ending with Leia - theme, Luke with Luke - force theme). Grrr, Disney.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

What happened to Katy O'Brian? Did she get killed along with everyone else on the bridge?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When I saw the X-wing arrive at the end, I thought Boba had called in the 2 pilots we've been seeing all season.

Then I realised it was just the one ship and I literally gasped.

Five minutes later, Artoo rolled in and I shouted "Motherfucker!" so loud I think the neighbours heard me.

"Oh it's the two X-Wing pilots come to save the day. The cavalry is here/on the way"
"Oh it's a Jedi. Ahsoka is here to save the day."
"Oh wait that's a green lightsaber. Is that Luke?"
"OH poo poo this Jedi has the black outfit Luke wore and has a gloved hand. It's fuckin Luke."

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I hope Luke knew that Grogu was small, because otherwise he was signing someone up for a lap ride in an X-Wing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

I hope Luke knew that Grogu was small, because otherwise he was signing someone up for a lap ride in an X-Wing

Lol, I didn't think of that. Maybe Luke had a straight up vision of Grogu.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

teagone posted:

Is it really a deus ex machina with the whole Tython episode and Ahsoka setting up a Jedi sensing Grogu though?

It is not.

When the cavalry arrives out of nowhere at the nick of time, it's deus ex. If you call the A-team to come help the day before the slum lord's goons come to burn down your house and Murdock and B A Baracus show up guns a blazin', that's story telling.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

teagone posted:

Lol, I didn't think of that. Maybe Luke had a straight up vision of Grogu.

I guess the big Jedi signal boost rock might have projected something to him. Or Ghost Yoda told him 'my son/my friend's kid/me before I was sent back in time is waiting for you'.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Grogu's mystical quest a few episodes ago just let him into the private DM that all Jedis have.

Luke's first question was a/s/l

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Bo-Katan is just a Pre-Vizsla girl living in a post-Vizsla world

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

The World Inferno posted:

If nothing else, it's kind of nice to re-establish that jedi are OP and uncommon as hell in the galaxy. Hope the other shows follow suit- oh who am I kidding.

Already bored by the setup for the Boba show but hey, I wasn't excited for this one. Bring on the avalanche of SW

I think it's less this but more that Luke Skywalker at this point is one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Spoilers: Last ep of the show is going to be Din, captured by Imperials, tortured nearly to death, and just as he's about to be executed, Grogu shows up and fucks everyone up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Can somebody make a gif of the flaming Darktrooper?