Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
More than likely, Jerry will get posthumous fame as the subject of one of those Flight Sim reenactment channels on YouTube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Tired: listening to the black box recorder.
Wired: watching the go pro footage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why don’t they make the whole plane out of the same stuff as the GoPro?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Why don’t they make the whole plane out of the same stuff as the GoPro?

Well that’s easy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrxPuk0JefA

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

BalloonFish posted:

I'm just getting into this minefield. Am I reading/seeing it right that one of his 'solutions' to his cooling problem is to fill the nose of his (unstable in pitch...) aircraft with a bunch of Chinese automotive intercooler units - designed to cool air by passing it around a core of cold coolant - in reverse to try and cool his coolant via airflow? All he's doing there (at best) is making a really lovely Meredith duct which warms the air flowing through it much more than it cools the coolant.

Yes, he bought an off the shelf "NACA duct" (that doesn't look much like a real NACA duct) from Chillout Systems and installed it (and an intercooler, and an outlet) in the nose. Note that this duct was designed by and for ground motorsports dudes who use it to feed air to a chiller which pumps coolant through a driver suit. Needless to say, the heat you need to reject in order to keep one human being cool is a bit less than the heat you need to reject from a 300HP+ twin turbo diesel.

I don't have anything against off-label parts use if engineering analysis and test are done properly, but none has been done here, and none ever will be. It looked about right to Peter, so into the aircraft it went.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

i sent this to my CFI and his immediate response was 'this man is going to die very soon. Let's practice Steep Turns next time we have a dual.'

There's going to be a great documentary about this guy after he dies along the lines of Grizzly Man.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

BobHoward posted:

Yes, he bought an off the shelf "NACA duct" (that doesn't look much like a real NACA duct) from Chillout Systems and installed it (and an intercooler, and an outlet) in the nose. Note that this duct was designed by and for ground motorsports dudes who use it to feed air to a chiller which pumps coolant through a driver suit. Needless to say, the heat you need to reject in order to keep one human being cool is a bit less than the heat you need to reject from a 300HP+ twin turbo diesel.

I don't have anything against off-label parts use if engineering analysis and test are done properly, but none has been done here, and none ever will be. It looked about right to Peter, so into the aircraft it went.

Thanks.

This was the video that originally made me think "is he really doing that??" : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhxoZJxyK8&t. He calls it an 'intercooler-slash-radiator' and it's not exactly clear what he's using it for.

Then I found this earlier one - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOd42usuVi0 - where he actually buys the intercooler and explains how he's going to use it as a radiator!

Gotta love one of his 'Cooling Analysis' videos where it turns out he's keeping the coolant temp down by varying the cabin heater fan setting. I mean, it's a perfectly good way of getting extra cooling if you need it in a pinch, but it tickles me that he's using the same trick to stop his engine boiling over as I did in my 25-year old £400 Austin Metro when half the radiator finning had corroded away and I had to drive it up some long, steep motorway hills on a hot summer's day.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I'm not a pilot, neither have i spent more than 1 hour in small planes. But is that thing still that unstable, or is that normal for small planes?

As a side note - he seems to take more risks with his plane than i do with small non-vehicle electronics... Bloody hell. I sometimes use bodge solutions for cooling but i'd never consider such 'solutions' in things that need it to not crash.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BalloonFish posted:

Thanks.

This was the video that originally made me think "is he really doing that??" : https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4AhxoZJxyK8&t. He calls it an 'intercooler-slash-radiator' and it's not exactly clear what he's using it for.

Then I found this earlier one - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOd42usuVi0 - where he actually buys the intercooler and explains how he's going to use it as a radiator!

Gotta love one of his 'Cooling Analysis' videos where it turns out he's keeping the coolant temp down by varying the cabin heater fan setting. I mean, it's a perfectly good way of getting extra cooling if you need it in a pinch, but it tickles me that he's using the same trick to stop his engine boiling over as I did in my 25-year old £400 Austin Metro when half the radiator finning had corroded away and I had to drive it up some long, steep motorway hills on a hot summer's day.

Jesus.

I do this in my older (pre-1975) cars when they threatened to overheat on a hot day, knowing full well that it's barely a tiny band-aid to wield until I can actually resolve the cooling issue...and it barely moves the needle.

On an aircraft? nopenopenopenope.

This clown has a death-wish. Dice will come up snakes one day. And drat, will there ever be ample footage for the inevitable documentary.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Don't forget that before he decided to add a radiator/intercooler in the nose, his solution was to add header tanks to the heater circuit so that it would just take longer to overheat.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

More than likely, Jerry will get posthumous fame as the subject of one of those Flight Sim reenactment channels on YouTube.

Air Crash Investigation already has enough footage for a two hour special.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So is the air going into his turbos way too hot? Even I understand why intercoolers are a standalone thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thomamelas posted:

Air Crash Investigation already has enough footage for a two hour special.
Someone should literally compile a best and by best, I mean worst of jerry video.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

slidebite posted:

Someone should literally compile a best and by best, I mean worst of jerry video.

Oh, I'm pretty sure professionals will do exactly that. Likely the NTSB.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Don't forget that before he decided to add a radiator/intercooler in the nose, his solution was to add header tanks to the heater circuit so that it would just take longer to overheat.

Watch him fill it with acetone to get evaporative cooling. :2bong:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slidebite posted:

We got this a year ago, on the same day WHO announced pneumonia of unknown origin in Wuhan.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Has anyone seen him fly a stabilized approach?

Every single landing I’ve seen posted here I would have gone around like minutes earlier.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It's not JUST that he's incompetent. He very clearly gets off on the excitement of landing a really high risk, unprofessional, dangerous approach.

It's not unlike seeing someone screaming down the side of a hill, off the trail, on a mountain bike and then wondering "do they know there's a bike path right over there?" He seems to attempt to maintain just enough plausible deniability to maintain his license so he can continue to thrillseek and get clicks.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
He also has a devoted legion of YouTube commenters, who are either under the belief that he is a cool and good pilot or on a level of irony that I am not.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 18, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i think it's an irony levels thing or in a minority of cases they are equally horrifyingly bad

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
We've all known people who love a disaster as long as the end result "works." This goes from thrillseekers to the manager who creates a crisis just so that when the team pulls it together, they can smile and crank it to how awesome it was that they fixed the dumpster fire the manager started.

wzm
Dec 12, 2004
Some people seem to have a special relationship with their FSDO. I met someone who had a gear up landing in a Cessna 310 at a towered airport, and the accident report had them listed as only possessing a Private / Single-engine Land certificate. Six months later, they were flying another 310.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

wzm posted:

Some people seem to have a special relationship with their FSDO. I met someone who had a gear up landing in a Cessna 310 at a towered airport, and the accident report had them listed as only possessing a Private / Single-engine Land certificate. Six months later, they were flying another 310.

Is this how James Inhofe got away with it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

So is the air going into his turbos way too hot? Even I understand why intercoolers are a standalone thing.

The engine is overheating because he's got an automotive diesel designed to be stuck up at the front of a car and operated at like 15 percent throttle most of the time, and he's crammed it into the back of an aerodynamic shell and is running it full bore. Pusher engines are notorious for having cooling problems even when real engineers put them together.

Also his turbochargers are set up backwards, meaning he's choking the engine and producing way more heat in the intake system than he needs to.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Tired: listening to the black box recorder.
Wired: watching the go pro footage twitch stream.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Reminds me of that video of the Antonov taking off at that Aussie airport.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Jerry seems like the kind of person who wants to be a hero who snatches victory from the jaws of defeat. He seems to play it safe with his attempted IFR landings, but the second he goes VFR, he goes nuts and gets the plane down at any cost, when the actual solution is probably go somewhere else. All of his landings are like a situation where some hot shot military pilot had to get the bird on the ground no matter what because of some high stakes classified reason, when he's really just some guy loving around.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
My favourite part is when he calls gear down at about 20ft above the runway.
Also him snapping at his (wife?) when she asks him if he's sure he saw the runway.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

LimaBiker posted:

I'm not a pilot, neither have i spent more than 1 hour in small planes. But is that thing still that unstable, or is that normal for small planes?

You can probably find decent amounts of cockpit video and video from the ground of type certified small planes in the patten or on short final. Outside of exciting wind conditions none of them will look as out of control of the raptor, and absolutely none of them pitch up and down at a regular interval (oscillation) like the raptor does.

The raptor has aerodynamics issues.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Real Amethyst posted:

My favourite part is when he calls gear down at about 20ft above the runway.
Also him snapping at his (wife?) when she asks him if he's sure he saw the runway.

at the end you can see he's got her brainwashed into thinking that a "butt-clencher" is something normal and fun instead of something that should make you sit down and evaluate why you ended up in that situation

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

You can probably find decent amounts of cockpit video and video from the ground of type certified small planes in the patten or on short final. Outside of exciting wind conditions none of them will look as out of control of the raptor, and absolutely none of them pitch up and down at a regular interval (oscillation) like the raptor does.

The raptor has aerodynamics issues.

Yeah the oscillation is really something else. That sort of dynamic instability is unheard-of in general aviation craft because it's (1) highly undesirable and (2) easy to design out. A little single-engine Cessna is rock solid at low speeds, to the point where if the wind is steady and you trim it up right, you can literally take your hands off the controls in the approach and the plane will just fly a steady descent right to your selected point on the runway.

He's excusing the oscillations at low speed by saying "it smooths out when you speed up," which is insane. It is critical that the plane be stable at low speed because that's the most dangerous flight envelope. If the plane starts oscillating at 200 knots well okay whatever maybe we just set a maximum speed of 190 and call it a day. But if every flight is going to begin and end with the plane pitching and rolling all over the place, specifically when you're low and slow and have no room to recover from an unintended deviation...

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 18, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Get Jerry to fly the raptor

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cojawfee posted:

Get Jerry to fly the raptor

This will be a match made in heaven.

It’s like how every Acme gadget works when used by the road runner.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Jerry seems like the kind of person who wants to be a hero who snatches victory from the jaws of defeat.

Yeah, he strikes me as just the aviation version of a lovely manager who creates a crisis, then the team fixes the crisis, and he's all "What an awesome team we are!" when it probably would've been better to just do regular work on time instead of screaming to barely-victory like an episode of Silicon Valley.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If Jerry crashes tomorrow and kills two or three trusting non-flying innocents, perhaps a few on the ground as well, can the aviation community really say they did everything they could to warn the FAA?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ola posted:

If Jerry crashes tomorrow and kills two or three trusting non-flying innocents, perhaps a few on the ground as well, can the aviation community really say they did everything they could to warn the FAA?

People have apparently submitted his videos to the local FSDO but nothing has happened. Or at least nothing public, enforceable, or that Jerry's willing to admit. I'm tempted to submit that one from the 7th with the 50-degree base-to-final turn myself just for my own peace of mind.

It will be really tragic if he crashes and in the investigation it is revealed that they have a file of all the complaints people have made and they just...did nothing.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
A fed from his FSDO (or at least, someone claiming that) posted on reddit, essentially saying we've got it handled. Maybe they're getting their ducks lined up in a row for a full frontal that should overcome any possible legal defense that might be a risk to a half-baked case. Or maybe they're sitting on their thumbs and fobbing it off.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Ola posted:

Honestly yes, we’ve been screaming at the Oakland FSDO for literal years now.

I live 20min north of him and reached out to try and help him for free, and nothing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

gently caress it, I wrote a nice concerned letter with a link to that video and sent it in. I did my part.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Ola posted:

I've sent his links to a couple of ATC-related twitter accounts. I know people have used official channels and nothing's happened, but maybe it'll cross the right person's path through the backdoor and save someone's life.

vessbot posted:

A fed from his FSDO (or at least, someone claiming that) posted on reddit, essentially saying we've got it handled. Maybe they're getting their ducks lined up in a row for a full frontal that should overcome any possible legal defense that might be a risk to a half-baked case. Or maybe they're sitting on their thumbs and fobbing it off.

They're not doing poo poo about it. It would've taken a day or two, maybe a week if they wanted to drag their feet on paperwork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brains
May 12, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

People have apparently submitted his videos to the local FSDO but nothing has happened. Or at least nothing public, enforceable, or that Jerry's willing to admit. I'm tempted to submit that one from the 7th with the 50-degree base-to-final turn myself just for my own peace of mind.

It will be really tragic if he crashes and in the investigation it is revealed that they have a file of all the complaints people have made and they just...did nothing.

that vid from a couple weeks ago with the stall horn on the high-angle turn to final, while over a commercial area, got me wondering that when this guy pancakes into a building in the pattern and kills a few people, will the media pick up the story? with years of these incriminating videos, such obvious flight violations, and even an internet sub-community dedicated to watching in horror, the FSDO "working on it" won't mean much when he kills himself and a few others. it's a fairly damning story of the FAA's inaction, on par with a obviously malpracticing doctor and a medical board that refuses to take action no matter what they do.