Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Grump posted:

btw I asked this because I just took 5 hours on a "2-3" hour assignment and sent it in unpolished (but functional) and told them I thought this was too much for a take home.

how can't developers put themselves in the shoes of a candidate? like you were once a candidate why are you making me do a 5-point ticket for free???????

the same reason they get off on drilling candidates on obscure trivia

they're rear end in a top hat :spergin:s who shouldn't be anywhere near the hiring process

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PIZZA.BAT posted:

they're rear end in a top hat :spergin:s who shouldn't be anywhere near the hiring process

whiteboarding sucks because it is high pressure and very on the spot, but i think every job interview where i actually got an offer, accepted it, and enjoyed working there involved talking through things and a whiteboard-ish interview. that may be because of what I do* but it seems pretty universal to me.

i think takehome tests don’t tell you what it is like to actually work with someone. they tell you weather someone understood a problem on first reading the same way you understood it and then came up with a solution similar to yours.

when you actually have to work on a project, understand a spec, and work with people to implement it and make sure it works, it is a lot more about communication and making completely sure you understand the details. i spend most of my time writing detailed descriptions of edge cases and how I think the design should handle them, why my test handles them differently, and then asking if the person who wrote the actual design agrees, and then deciding which path to take.

most of the bugs are caught in where the spec is just slightly too vague and we both had a reasonable understanding of what was supposed to happen, but filled in some implied details differently.

a whiteboard problem where you both work it out together tells you a lot about that process, about working with these people and how they handle questions and criticism, and a takehome test tells you absolutely jack poo poo because you are solving a problem by yourself in a vacuum and that never happens in the real world.

* i do verification for hardware designs so i can’t really speak for software stuff, but I feel like a lot of it applies. my understanding of the software world is that you call what I do QA and you don’t do very much of it, which makes sense when you can push an update, but in the hardware world, verification is expensive because you probably can’t fix a chip you have already shipped, and if you can fix it with a software update, it’s going to make performance worse and customers angry.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

ikanreed posted:

God, why do a personality test. They should just get your sign and use that.

I am 100% convinced that those tests are to give justification for circumventing discrimination laws

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Current company was on a unicorn growth path with an engineering culture to be super jealous of. Three years later our valuation fell off a cliff, we've lost all the awesome engineers and engineering culture, and we recently got acquired by Generic Software Incorporated. Can't wait to get sold for parts. :feelsgood:

Now that my belief that good companies exist has vanished, I shall begin this new job search.

Hello thread.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Rather than ascribing malintent I think it's generally more likely that the person who setup the homework did a version of it that quickly. If you're writing the problem you also have a pretty good idea how to solve it which cuts out all the design time and you probably have an environment already setup too. The person in question probably also did a trash job because they just needed it to work and if you could give them their own work they'd probably fail it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

huhu posted:

Current company was on a unicorn growth path with an engineering culture to be super jealous of. Three years later our valuation fell off a cliff, we've lost all the awesome engineers and engineering culture, and we recently got acquired by Generic Software Incorporated. Can't wait to get sold for parts. :feelsgood:

Now that my belief that good companies exist has vanished, I shall begin this new job search.

Hello thread.

just went through the exact same thing and am starting my new job in january. the thread continues to cycle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

asur posted:

Rather than ascribing malintent I think it's generally more likely that the person who setup the homework did a version of it that quickly. If you're writing the problem you also have a pretty good idea how to solve it which cuts out all the design time and you probably have an environment already setup too. The person in question probably also did a trash job because they just needed it to work and if you could give them their own work they'd probably fail it.

I think this is probably close to the mark. my job is to write software, not write puzzles for job applicants. I've been asked to do the latter and managed to talk my manager into skipping it as part of the application process, but it's not like I'm given any more time to get my actual work done if I take on putting together a thoughtful and reasonable toy application for a take-home.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I had a job interview where the take home was 2h to make a 20min talk about some process relevant to the position to all people who felt it was relevant and wanted to drop in, and then 20 mins of questions.

To be fair part of the job had to do with training and internal advocacy but that was the only time I ever saw that

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the interview for my current job didn't involve any whiteboard coding. that's a major reason why i took the job. i figured maybe they weren't idiots. not sure if i was right tho

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

asur posted:

i 100% think this is it. The dev writes up some assignment, the hiring manager asks how long it should take, the dev goes "uhhhhhhhh.....idk? X hours?" and then that's how a candidate gets hosed.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I now have to implement a hashmap-indexed adjacency-list directed weighted graph in plain C and use it to solve a fairly complex problem in a timed environment and it's like

eh, we'll see

I'm sure if I was a recent grad or into hackerrank or that sort of thing I'd have an easier time, but that's how it goes

e: ran out of time on the last problem, though I did get most of it done

honestly would have been fairly trivial in C++ but algorithm problems involving complex data structures is not fun to do in C under a strict time limit

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 15, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Private Speech posted:

I now have to implement a hashmap-indexed adjacency-list directed weighted graph in plain C

is this something you would actually be expected to do on the job? does anyone do this poo poo besides library authors?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

is this something you would actually be expected to do on the job? does anyone do this poo poo besides library authors?

I mean it's an embedded position that asked for C, C++ and Python, with a problem in each (the C being the hardest one), and I could see myself implementing a hashing function at some point on an MCU, but it's extremely rare

as far as the problem goes it does help that you know the data size during input parsing and it will not ever expand, but you do have to sort the index hashmap afterwards (I never got to that point, but it shouldn't be that bad honestly since you don't need to keep the original structure and can just do in-place swaps)

you also had to do a BFS-type lookup on each node as part of the problem, ideally with a stack but I just ended up doing recursion to save some time, not that it helped

I could definitely have done it in C++ but, well, clearly I couldn't in 90 mins in C

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 15, 2020

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i hope that position pays like $300k+. i couldn't have done that in 90 minutes either

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i hope that position pays like $300k+. i couldn't have done that in 90 minutes either

if this hell world has taught me anything it's that positions like this are in bumfuck nowhere paying a "really good for the area we promise"

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

it's advertised as £60k which is actually really good for the UK outside London

I'd probably get less on account of not enough experience but still it's the highest of all the jobs I've applied to

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

Private Speech posted:

I now have to implement a hashmap-indexed adjacency-list directed weighted graph in plain C and use it to solve a fairly complex problem in a timed environment and it's like

is this kind of algorithm knowledge needed for most job interviews?

I know that FB/google put you through that leetcode poo poo, but is it common? I've had lots of coding tests in the past, but never a "gotcha if you don't already know this algorithm" test.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Poopernickel posted:

I know that FB/google put you through that leetcode poo poo, but is it common? I've had lots of coding tests in the past, but never a "gotcha if you don't already know this algorithm" test.

Loads of places have no clue what they're looking for let alone need, so why not copy someone successful?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Poopernickel posted:

this is the first genuinely difficult one for me, but I've had some simple graph and algo problems before

it's not really a gotcha to be fair, more like implement these data structures, parse this series of weighted edges into a graph then do some computations on it, it's not horrible aside from the time taken

FWIW it looks like this is literally a problem that has been used at google at some point, when I google (heh) it

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 16, 2020

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Google asks a ton of random questions that are absolutely ridiculous because someone came up with the bright idea to let engineers come up with their own questions with zero standardization. It's supposedly not uncommon for the hiring committee to just completely disregard an interview because the question that was asked is unreasonable.

It doesn't sound like this question should have been asked with a stipulation that the person use C, a language with next to no inbuilt libraries. I also wouldn't expect to every implement a hashing function or a hashmap in an interview.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I don't think that stipulation existed with the original problem at google, that was added by the company I'm interviewing with, on account of it being an embedded C position

I mentioned in feedback that I would have an easier time doing it in C++ (obviously, given the problem)

I mean I haven't heard back yet so maybe I did okay?

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 16, 2020

Flaming June
Oct 21, 2004

after pandemic-related layoffs in june, today i signed an offer letter. the relief is real :unsmith:

at least there's some bit of positivity to end on in hell year before we begin hell year 2

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Flaming June posted:

after pandemic-related layoffs in june, today i signed an offer letter. the relief is real :unsmith:

at least there's some bit of positivity to end on in hell year before we begin hell year 2

hoorj

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Flaming June posted:

congrats!

hoping some of that rubs off on me and I'll get one soon

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
business formal or casual for a zoom call with the hiring manager and director of engineering?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

dragon enthusiast posted:

business formal or casual for a zoom call with the hiring manager and director of engineering?

which coast? how formal is the org?

default business casual unless something like a bank, insurance, etc.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

business casual from the waist up

office party from the waist down

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the zoom call equivalent of a strong handshake, do that.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

zoom background of a cat floating in space

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

east coast, i would definitely be doing business formal for an in person interview but pre-rona daily work would be business casual for sure

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

unpacked robinhood posted:

not bothering to mute to sneeze or drink or eat or yell at your kids

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I've been doing business casual and usually am either on par or better dressed than the interviewer

but then this is the UK and I haven't got a job yet so I felt like giving advice might be going a bit far

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

If it's an old-school firm, shirt and tie, no jacket.

If it's newer, lightly-patterned button down

khakis+belt in either case in case you stand up in front of the mic.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PCjr sidecar posted:

ask your internal recruiter what the preferred dress code is

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Captain Foo posted:

ask your internal recruiter what the preferred dress code is

good advice in general but i asked a internal recruiter at a health insurance company this and they were like what kind of moron are you to not know you need a suit

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PCjr sidecar posted:

good advice in general but i asked a internal recruiter at a health insurance company this and they were like what kind of moron are you to not know you need a suit

this was a bad recruiter and probably an idiot. don't worry too much about it. it's a harmless question

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

like ask yourself if you'd be upset missing out on a job where they passed over you because you asked that

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

i sort of remember seeing an article on to how to value stock options as part of an offer - does anyone have a guide or something that they like? i've only ever worked for places that gave cash or RSUs so i'm not exactly sure how to value the options part of an offer that's coming my way soon (lol it's pre-ipo, so value them at 0)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

The Leck posted:

(lol it's pre-ipo, so value them at 0)

This is the right answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Getting options from a pre-IPO organization is like getting a bunch of lottery tickets that all have the same number. They're not completely worthless, but you shouldn't count on seeing any money from them.