Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I think it's less this but more that Luke Skywalker at this point is one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy.

Might be THE.

Not only is he the best force user alive (well...Sheev), but he also, on top of that, has access to the full Republic fleet, which is the largest working military might in the galaxy (well...Exgol). Baby Yoda just can't really be on the show anymore or else there's going to be an issue of his mentor/buddy being available to help out with anything serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

A.o.D. posted:

It is not.

When the cavalry arrives out of nowhere at the nick of time, it's deus ex. If you call the A-team to come help the day before the slum lord's goons come to burn down your house and Murdock and B A Baracus show up guns a blazin', that's story telling.

What you're describing is a chekhov's gun. However I'd still argue that Luke being the gun is still a literal hand of god moment. If it was just any jedi that showed up to answer the call there would still be some tension to whether things would succeed or not. With Luke it's like a DM dropping a nuke on the board to save you from a total party wipe because he's got preordained plot armour.

And then the episode just ends. It's super frustrating that a scene with Luke and no tension cuts off everything that was just happening. It's not even a cliffhanger, it's just over. The immediate stakes get tossed aside so they can pass off Grogu to Luke like they had to find a way to end the series in case they didn't get a season 3 renewal, drat the rest of the dangling plot threads.

I'm just tired of Star Wars falling back on Luke being the end all for stories. It robbed the cast of the sequels their chance to step into the limelight as the movies kept looking back on the original trio and this season of Mando has felt like Mando took a backseat anytime a previous character showed up so they could have their backdoor pilot episodes. I only really enjoyed Cobb and at least Bo-Katan has reasons to be there beyond just being a Filoni plug. A season of cameos ending on the biggest cameo of all and stopping the show dead is really disappointing for me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You guys are loving nuts. That ruled out loud.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Darko posted:

Baby Yoda just can't really be on the show anymore or else there's going to be an issue of his mentor/buddy being available to help out with anything serious.

This was already starting to be an issue. “Who’s the babysitter this week while Din goes and kicks rear end?” I still wanted one more season with Lone Wolf and Cub, but so be it. I would think we’ll get a Grogu cameo next year but he won’t be a main character anymore.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
lmao, they said maclunkey

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

That ruled, but the ending was a bit abrupt. Luke not having any questions about 'what's going on here, who is this guy, why do you have a weird lightsabre?' and just walking off jarred a little.

One of the low-key things I thought was fantastic was the way the Cruiser environments were laid out. Our heroes don't just run through a series of identical corridors like they do in the films or in the prison ship episode, there is an identifiable sequence of rooms with obvious purposes running through the ship from the hanger to the bridge. Just implicitly establishing that through the initial assault lays the context for how impressive it is when Luke does his New Game+ speedrun of the same level.

Also are we just not going to talk about the BAD CYLONS? The Dark Troopers were... acceptable in the previous episode, but this was just bad and it's clear they had to cut a few corners and mirror a lot of animations to get them in.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Also are we just not going to talk about the BAD CYLONS? The Dark Troopers were... acceptable in the previous episode, but this was just bad and it's clear they had to cut a few corners and mirror a lot of animations to get them in.

Nothing will stop these robots from punching and frankly that is terrifying to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alchenar posted:

I think you're underestimating just how bad the Cylons in the RDM series looked. The Dark Troopers are fine compared to those toasters.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

This was already starting to be an issue. “Who’s the babysitter this week while Din goes and kicks rear end?” I still wanted one more season with Lone Wolf and Cub, but so be it. I would think we’ll get a Grogu cameo next year but he won’t be a main character anymore.

That little guy is worth billions of dollars, so I was pretty shocked he's not going to be a "series regular" anymore. But I don't remember him as a Knight of Ren so maybe he comes back.

Alchenar posted:

I thought they looked good. Especially punching Mando in the face 100 times.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

I'm fangirling hard and want to do the twitter thing of screaming at the void 'cause Pedro's acting was amazing. Poor Din about to burst in tears. Esposito was even greater. drat, he is such a cool Star Wars villain.

And I can't wait for a new Laser Master video from Auralnauts. :allears:

Edit:

zoux posted:

That little guy is worth billions of dollars, so I was pretty shocked he's not going to be a "series regular" anymore. But I don't remember him as a Knight of Ren so maybe he comes back.

:lol: Disney is NOT gonna let that green cash cow go. I'll be honestly shocked if Din isn't reunited with him on a new season.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 18, 2020

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darko posted:

Might be THE.

Not only is he the best force user alive (well...Sheev), but he also, on top of that, has access to the full Republic fleet, which is the largest working military might in the galaxy (well...Exgol). Baby Yoda just can't really be on the show anymore or else there's going to be an issue of his mentor/buddy being available to help out with anything serious.

Doesn't Luke gently caress off from the Republic to restore the order?

Vintersorg posted:

That was kind of a rushed ending and while I was like, no way Luke! I was kinda let down they didn’t get Ezra back with all the Thrawn stuff thrown out. The X-Wing cemented that I wasn’t getting Ezra back so more waiting. :smugjones:

I didn’t like that things were left dangling either. It didn’t feel like a cliffhanger more like they cut the story off. I had to take a quick washroom break and pausing it I saw it was only 45 minutes long. I could have used an extra 10 for sure. And then seeing that 7 of those minutes were credits and the short Boba scene. What the heck happened... I suppose covid. But they filmed everything else!

I’ll obviously be back next season but Christ, let’s start exploring these things left off from Rebels! This is a direct continuation of Clone Wars and that series. Don’t stray too hard!

Filoni implied that the Ahsoka episode in this happened before her final moment in Rebels.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 18, 2020

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Is Fennec basically a Guri level assassin droid?

Wild that all these shows announced and no Shadows of the Empire. It could work. Maybe.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

That was... uh not great, I understand a significant portion of Star Wars fans just want to see things they loved from when they were 8 repeated at them ad-nauseum but I much prefer the show when it was just doing little stories like "The Marshall" or "Sanctuary". I'm so burned out on Jedi and the Skywalkers and their bullshit and I much prefer the force as unknown, misunderstood, and mystical thing instead of just over the top magic powers. Luke's stroll down the corridors was for me completely lacking in tension or drama, reminded me of the prequels where Jedi just chewed through dumb droids and all the magic and cool-ness out of Jedi and lightsabers died for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That was... uh not great, I understand a significant portion of Star Wars fans just want to see things they loved from when they were 8 repeated at them ad-nauseum but I much prefer the show when it was just doing little stories like "The Marshall" or "Sanctuary".

...So things you saw when you were 8, just with blasters instead of revolvers?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The rest of the internet is going absolutely nuts over the Luke reveal so if you're wondering why they went that way instead of bringing back your favorite Legends character Blarsk Findom to rescue them, well that's why.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

...So things you saw when you were 8, just with blasters instead of revolvers?

Yes, I like the things I am nostalgic for, and not the things others are nostalgic for. Its not a value judgement, which is why I said I'm so burned out on Jedi not that Jedi are dumb and if you like them you are dumb

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

That was... uh not great, I understand a significant portion of Star Wars fans just want to see things they loved from when they were 8 repeated at them ad-nauseum but I much prefer the show when it was just doing little stories like "The Marshall" or "Sanctuary". I'm so burned out on Jedi and the Skywalkers and their bullshit and I much prefer the force as unknown, misunderstood, and mystical thing instead of just over the top magic powers. Luke's stroll down the corridors was for me completely lacking in tension or drama, reminded me of the prequels where Jedi just chewed through dumb droids and all the magic and cool-ness out of Jedi and lightsabers died for me.

No it's good and important. So many episodes of The Mandalorian lean heavily on the fact that our hero is exceptionally skilled and has magic armour that makes them invulnerable to blasters and lightsabres and being eaten by dragons. That rapidly removes all tension and threat from the stories the show wants to tell. Putting our hero in a situation they are absolutely incapable of dealing with (after they've had their success of the episode) and then seeing Luke chew through it like it's nothing re-establishes the idea that Din is not some ridiculous godlike entity of the Star Wars world; he's really good at what he does but there's powers he can't possibly content with.

I think Esposito nails this element in his performance - he spends the episode gloating that he's understands far more than our protagonists do and from his perspective is sure that he's going to win, but the moment Luke shows up he realises "oh poo poo this is something I didn't and couldn't plan for".

In a world of Knights and Wizards this is a show about the people on the periphery of the story, and it's important to set that context occasionally.

e: and if you thought that scene was supposed to have tension you weren't paying attention to the musical score (which is incredible for this episode). It's absolutely not about tension, it's about our characters witnessing a miracle.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 18, 2020

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

zoux posted:

The rest of the internet is going absolutely nuts over the Luke reveal so if you're wondering why they went that way instead of bringing back your favorite Legends character Blarsk Findom to rescue them, well that's why.

I knew Luke was the obvious choice for obvious reasons, but felt bringing a character so large and important to be improbable. I'm ok with being proven wrong because I very much enjoyed the reveal, despite the wonky de-aging CG. I still would have preferred either Katarn or Kestis for my own reasons, but yeah, I 100% get why Luke was the one to respond to Grogu's force beacon.

Know what would have been super dope though? Luke AND Kyle Katarn showing up. Could have done the bait and switch with 2 X-Wings showing up thinking it was the two pilots again that saved Din earlier in the season lol.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

zoux posted:

Pretty much this. If it'd been Ezra or the guy from Fallen Order whose name I can't be arsed to look up, the whole internet would be "Who the gently caress was that and why should we care?" Now it's "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! LUUUUUUUUKKKKKWEEE!"

Everyone fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 18, 2020

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I take it back, I liked Luke but we really should have had Mara Jade show up, as played by Laverne Cox.

Also, next season Din realizes he finished his quest and is like, "well, why the gently caress shouldn't I rule Mandalore?"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That was so cool. I don’t care how hokey the Luke thing was, or any other other dumb stuff. I love my stupid space spaghetti western!

It’s been so long since I watched anything with young-ish Mark Hamill that I just assumed they got a got a good re-cast instead of deepfaking it, but whatever. It didn’t bother me either way.

My body is ready for more Boba/Fennec Tatooine hijynx but next fall feels like a million years away, let alone next December.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

teagone posted:

I knew Luke was the obvious choice for obvious reasons, but felt bringing a character so large and important to be improbable. I'm ok with being proven wrong because I very much enjoyed the reveal, despite the wonky de-aging CG. I still would have preferred either Katarn or Kestis for my own reasons, but yeah, I 100% get why Luke was the one to respond to Grogu's force beacon.

Know what would have been super dope though? Luke AND Kyle Katarn showing up. Could have done the bait and switch with 2 X-Wings showing up thinking it was the two pilots again that saved Din earlier in the season lol.

So instead of "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE!" we'd have gotten "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE! and some other dweeb but screw it, AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alchenar posted:

In a world of Knights and Wizards this is a show about the people on the periphery of the story, and it's important to set that context occaisionally.

It also establishes a hierarchy of importance and diminishes the protagonists by reminding the audience that they're little people and that the Jedi are the big important ones in Star Wars. Even so I would have been fine with any other Jedi showing up but it being Luke makes it a direct connection to the films where I don't think they needed it. When you emphasize the importance of the Jedi being special and then have the big cheese Jedi himself be the one to take Grogu it feels like the story is switching gears from being about The Mandalorian to being about how Luke started training other Jedi. And we know how badly that story ended already.

I'm not here for Luke, or Ahsoka or even Fett or Bo-Katan at the end of the day. I'm here for The Mandalorian and his adventures, not The Mandalorian and his side appearances in stories featuring the rest of Star Wars's big stars, which is how the end of the episode felt. Everything, the title of Mandalore, the fate of Gideon, just stops cold because Luke is here and Star Wars fans want Luke. Take your little people problems like squabbling cultural identity politics and shove it, we have a green lightsaber man with a robot hand and his magic trash can companion to fawn over.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Everyone posted:

So instead of "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE!" we'd have gotten "AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE! and some other dweeb but screw it, AAAAAAHHHHHH!!! LUUUUKKKKKEEEE!"

It'd be satisfying for nerds who played the old Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games but also introduces a character to the canon that new fans can now also enjoy.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

It also establishes a hierarchy of importance and diminishes the protagonists by reminding the audience that they're little people and that the Jedi are the big important ones in Star Wars. Even so I would have been fine with any other Jedi showing up but it being Luke makes it a direct connection to the films where I don't think they needed it. When you emphasize the importance of the Jedi being special and then have the big cheese Jedi himself be the one to take Grogu it feels like the story is switching gears from being about The Mandalorian to being about how Luke started training other Jedi. And we know how badly that story ended already.

I'm not here for Luke, or Ahsoka or even Fett or Bo-Katan at the end of the day. I'm here for The Mandalorian and his adventures, not The Mandalorian and his side appearances in stories featuring the rest of Star Wars's big stars, which is how the end of the episode felt. Everything, the title of Mandalore, the fate of Gideon, just stops cold because Luke is here and Star Wars fans want Luke. Take your little people problems like squabbling cultural identity politics and shove it, we have a green lightsaber man with a robot hand and his magic trash can companion to fawn over.

The emotional climax of the episode is Din taking off his helmet. They still end on the Din-Grogu relationship being the core of the story. I have no idea where they go for Season 3, I want more but they could close up shop now and they've told a perfect complete story.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I regret no X-Wing cockpit scene with BaeYo looking around and being forlorn that there aren't any shiny metal balls to steal/play with.

Alchenar posted:

I have no idea where they go for Season 3.

Din vs. Bo-Katan. Without the kid, I could see Din's head getting a bit too big for his helmet. He needs a purpose and he can't really go back to bounty hunting. He also has very set-in-stone notions of what constitutes being Mandalorian that clash with hers.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 18, 2020

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Considering how bad Yoda hosed with R2 I’m surprised he didn’t put the shock on Groku

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Is this the first canon occurrence of ion weapons shutting down ship systems? I know it's been in the games since forever but I don't recall it being in any movies.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Glass of Milk posted:

Also, next season Din realizes he finished his quest and is like, "well, why the gently caress shouldn't I rule Mandalore?"

He's not going to want to, but the blacksmith is going to remind him of The Way. Then he's going to spend 6 episodes going to random planets to help out small villages and meeting up with small groups of mandalorians at each. The season finale will have all the mandos he met along the way group up for a final showdown against some big bad. Maybe even against Bo Katan, since infighting is pretty common among mandalorians.

It is the way.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Kazy posted:

Is this the first canon occurrence of ion weapons shutting down ship systems? I know it's been in the games since forever but I don't recall it being in any movies.

A planetary ion cannon was used in Empire to disable an ISD to allow transports to escape from Hoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrQu8UIEj5g

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alchenar posted:

I want more but they could close up shop now and they've told a perfect complete story.

I wouldn't say that a tense standoff getting interrupted by Luke and then cutting to black before any of the pressing questions that had just been raised constitutes a perfect complete story.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A planetary ion cannon was used in Empire to disable an ISD to allow transports to escape from Hoth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrQu8UIEj5g

The Y-Wings in Rogue One also use ion torpedoes to disable one of the destroyers above the shield gate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Kazy posted:

They shut down that star destroyer when they were first introduced in The Empire Strikes Back, didn’t they?

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

zoux posted:

Yep. Great episode and what an incredible season.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Man, all the shots of Pedro and Grogu at the end were genuinely affecting. I finished the episode again just now with my dad this time, and he was like "Luuuke!" :supaburn:

Lol.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

zoux posted:

This how old school Star Wars fans show appreciation for something they like: by ruthlessly making GBS threads on it a nitpicking. Be more worried if they were like, “ok, there were like one two good parts, I guess”.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

teagone posted:

Man, all the shots of Pedro and Grogu at the end were genuinely affecting. I finished the episode again just now with my dad this time, and he was like "Luuuke!" :supaburn:

Lol.

I wonder if that's the first time a living thing has touched his face since he first put on the helmet.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress Luke Skywalker.

They have a whole new batch of characters they can introduce to a new audience, like Bo-Katan, Ahsoka, Thrawn but no... it's back to the goddamn Skywalkers. Again. Like -- let's move away from this poo poo. I dont' give a gently caress that the internet is all, "OMG LUKE!!!"

Pandering to the masses is bullshit. This show was doing a drat good job of skirting the line but now it's crossed fully into it - ESPECIALLY with R2 coming out of nowhere. He was just offscreen, 5 feet behind while Luke slaughtered these droids.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Marsupial Ape posted:

It’s not so much that she is adhering to the dogma, it’s that she knows the Clans adhere to the dogma. She needs to win the Darksaber in battle for her claim to the throne to be legitimate. I can’t tell if she was upset that Din has won it because she actually respected him and didn’t want to have to kill a comrade...or because she’s seen what he’s capable of and winning the Saber is not a sure thing.

Feels like both to me- Din demonstrated he's a hardcore Mando and a reliable ally, the kind of guy Bo is going to need to retake Mandalore. He has exactly one mission here, and he follows it to the end. Wouldn't be surprised if the narrative shifts away from him now- without Grogu, all he has is bounty hunting, and whatever he considers worthy of his time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Din vs. Bo-Katan. Without the kid, I could see Din's head getting a bit too big for his helmet. He needs a purpose and he can't really go back to bounty hunting. He also has very set-in-stone notions of what constitutes being Mandalorian that clash with hers.

Probably, but they already sort of undermined that conflict by showing that Din has no interest in it whatsoever, and was perfectly happy to just give her the sword and let her be superking.