Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

It is worth noting, despite the Red Frame just being more or less the same as the old one, The Kai's Tactical Arms in PG is bloody awesome and pretty much a PG kit by itself. It's a very nice kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

my gunpla can sorta be seen in the corner here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cC1bL7zoZ48&t=1370s

Crusader fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 14, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Moai Ou
May 18, 2004

WE LOVE SHOOTING GAMES!

Fun Shoe
It's three times cuter than a normal Zaku!

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Can the little connecting parts for the RG Eva’s big shoulder armor be fully connected to the armor? They seem to only want to be pushed down part way.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm impressed at how stable the jet form is.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm impressed at how stable the jet form is.

You'll be far less impressed trying to turn it back into robot mode. :v:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

You'll be far less impressed trying to turn it back into robot mode. :v:

Probably. Going to be praying hard to the machine spirits when I do.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I got the last fafner for my collection!

https://imgur.com/a/XcUZ3Jh

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Droyer posted:

I got the last fafner for my collection!

https://imgur.com/a/XcUZ3Jh

What's the deal with that core it looks like 3 poorly stacked amazon boxes. Otherwise it's rather pretty and mean looking.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sazabi posted:

What's the deal with that core it looks like 3 poorly stacked amazon boxes. Otherwise it's rather pretty and mean looking.

All the fafners' upper torsos are asymmetrical like that. I love it personally.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
That's cool in a strange way. Is the anime worth checking out?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/tajahiro_com/status/1338818419869634560?s=20

Kitchen's right through there, just mind the, uh...

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Sazabi posted:

That's cool in a strange way. Is the anime worth checking out?

I like it a lot. I suspect in many people's minds it's linked to Gundam Seed/Destiny due to coming out in the same time frame and sharing a character designer, which is a great shame. Fafner is better than Seed and deserves better than to live in its shadow.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Is there some special property to Vallejo fluroescents that I'm missing? Picked up some mecha color magenta and green because I liked the hue but they seem much, much more thin than the rest of the mecha color line

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I was thirsting after the MK-II Titans earlier and remembered "Oh that's right I assembled the RG like four years ago" and dug him out of storage and man, it's funny to see all your old mistakes. It seems I read "sand down your nubs" somewhere and took it to heart bc some of these edges look like they had a midnight rendezvous with a belt sander.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Zodack posted:

Is there some special property to Vallejo fluroescents that I'm missing? Picked up some mecha color magenta and green because I liked the hue but they seem much, much more thin than the rest of the mecha color line

fluo paint is just super thin in general

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I just thought it was a color, does it have special properties? Is it that stuff I see that glows under blacklight or something?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zodack posted:

I just thought it was a color, does it have special properties? Is it that stuff I see that glows under blacklight or something?

If it's anything like the metal line of Vallejo which is much thinner than normal model air/mecha, possibly has more binder in it as the pigments may be coarser to stop clogging in the airbrush.

I've posted it before but this took about 5 coats to get to a level where the primer wasn't showing.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 16, 2020

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Zodack posted:

They do glow under blacklight, but they're not true fluorescents. You'll need to have a white base under them to get a good effect.

If you're looking for true Fluoros, use Createx. Anything in the following link starting with fluorescent, or the UV base (which is white, but glows blue-ish).

https://createxcolors.com/wicked-airbrush-colors/wicked-fluorescent-peralized-colors/w210.html

This was done with Vallejo with a white undercoat:

This was Createx (lovely photo, sorry):

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Sazabi posted:

Anyone have thoughts on the PG astray Kai? Like is it just the 09 red frame. Or did they update the kit with modern engineering closer to the PG exia?

I own it, and it's gorgeous on a shelf. The Red Frame itself is a well-engineered kit, not many surprises but sturdy and thoughtful. The Tactical arms is almost actually sharp enough to cut things, and very finicky to transform even at 1/60 scale. I recommend finding one form you like and sticking to it; I ended up just putting mine as a backpack so I could put the whole thing on a shelf.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Xaerael posted:

They do glow under blacklight, but they're not true fluorescents. You'll need to have a white base under them to get a good effect.

I completely unintentionally used a flaurescent blue on the HG GM2 i am tooling around with. Now im curious if portions will glow 😄

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So I want to talk about what I suspect is the thread's most-built set; the IKEA Detolf.

I just built my first one on my own and it was kind of a pain following the instructions. I reckon the back and side glass panels can all be fitted together seperate from the base and just slot in the top, anyone done that? Seems like it would be less difficult to get it all to sit right and you don't have the metal frame banging on the glass as you do it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sounds like a great way to spend your day, and a great way to spend the following picking glass out of your carpet. IKEA shut is flimsy enough as is removing the support ain't a good idea

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Had the opportunity to take some nice pics of HG Gusion and RG Zeta (jet mode).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Just got the email from HLJ saying the PG Unleashed RX-78-2 has hit my private warehouse. Just shipped it, might get it in time for the Christmas break if I'm lucky.
FedEx has usually got my stuff from HLJ to me in a week or less, but with Covid and Christmas it might get delayed I suppose.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Ibblebibble posted:

Had the opportunity to take some nice pics of HG Gusion and RG Zeta (jet mode).

these are great pics but consider bringing the shot in closer and lower

Edit: closer on the gusion at least

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Null of Undefined posted:

these are great pics but consider bringing the shot in closer and lower

Edit: closer on the gusion at least

Yeah I probably should have cropped it for the Gusion, but was feeling lazy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
What's the story with the Bandai Star Wars kits? Remembered to look for the TIE Interceptor but HLJ doesn't have a listing. I think I can get it on eBay but I wondered why there's no sign of the line on there, besides airbrush masks for some reason.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BizarroAzrael posted:

What's the story with the Bandai Star Wars kits? Remembered to look for the TIE Interceptor but HLJ doesn't have a listing. I think I can get it on eBay but I wondered why there's no sign of the line on there, besides airbrush masks for some reason.

iirc, what happened a few years back was Revel got upset over people importing far-superior Bandai versions of the same kits they produce, and complained to Papa Disney. Disney told Bandai to knock off exporting so they could only sell them in Japan. I think it got reversed or changed though, because I've seen them turn up locally in hobby shops in Australia again.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Gundam Planet has 'em if you're in the US. Local hobby shops can get them as well if they can carry Bandai stuff. The licensing debacle got cleared up, so they're US legal AFAIK.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What was the licensing debacle again? It was something about Japanese products infringing on North American company toy production for Star Wars merch, right?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

What was the licensing debacle again? It was something about Japanese products infringing on North American company toy production for Star Wars merch, right?

Supposedly Disney suddenly decided to enforce the geographical licensing restrictions and leaned on big resellers to stop shipping. Revell had North America and Europe and Bandai had Japan and I think the rest of Asia, though there was a lot of gray market purchasing of Bandai stuff in the US and Europe. A number of people suspected Revell put Disney up to it since Revell's Star Wars kits are dogshit compared to Bandai's offerings, though Revell issued a not-quite-denial of that. A few years after that, Revell signed an agreement to distribute Bandai's Star Wars stuff in Europe, and Bandai seems to be selling their stuff in North America via Bluefin and the stores that buy from them.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Bunch of new P-bandai US up. Picked up an F90, GM Dominance, and the two side story gundams

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Midjack posted:

A few years after that, Revell signed an agreement to distribute Bandai's Star Wars stuff in Europe, and Bandai seems to be selling their stuff in North America via Bluefin and the stores that buy from them.

Yeah, the Bandai Star Wars kits have been in U.S. stores for several years now, with Barnes & Noble probably being the biggest chain that carries them along with Gundam stuff.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I've seen Gamestop and Target stock gunpla.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Revell got lazy. Their old kits used to win awards all the time, and their X-Wing from the 90's (The one I think they are still putting out) was considered one of the best Sci-Fi model kits ever made at the time. Their Star Destroyer/TNG Enterprise kits with the Fibre optic lighting were also amazing and revolutionary for it's day, if a pain to make without a good Dremel. They just never really changed the way they designed kits, and stuck to the old fashioned Airfix systems.

Compared to Bandai's Star Wars kits... yeah, Revell's are total trash. Bandai have that "we gave a poo poo while designing this kit and went the extra mile" feeling.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
HaroPla turns out to be... a blast if you have kids around. And at $7-14 a model... it's a great way to introduce people. My kiddos are (5 and 7) are able to go from zero to "complete haro" in about 20 minutes. And theyr'e excellent to acutally play with.

Don't buy the HaroLoader. Do buy the MobileHaro. :-) This is my review of HeroPla.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nerobro posted:

HaroPla turns out to be... a blast if you have kids around. And at $7-14 a model... it's a great way to introduce people. My kiddos are (5 and 7) are able to go from zero to "complete haro" in about 20 minutes. And theyr'e excellent to acutally play with.

Don't buy the HaroLoader. Do buy the MobileHaro. :-) This is my review of HeroPla.

Give the 30MM kits a try if you want to branch out a little. They're still relatively simple and you can burn a LOT of cash on accessory packs for the drat things just for one model :shepspends:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Buy a Mobile Haro regardless of who you are. It's a triumph of robot aesthetics, and a solid kit to boot.