Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

probably the one silver lining of Bernie getting ratfucked by the dnc is now I don’t have to read 4+ years of taintrunner posts calling him a traitor for the inevitable policy compromises

Instead it's calling him a traitor for doing the thing he always said he'd do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm going to make the hopefully uncontroversial take that Bernie pushing for a stimulus check, small as it is, is still better than what AOC has shown us recently.

the reason the floor vote debate was so immediately focused on AOC was because it’s a masked way of asking “what has the squad done for us, exactly,” because many leftists are starting to get that the answer to that question is “other than representation*, basically nothing”

pushing for progressive candidates in congress is not happening fast enough to quite literally save the earth, with climate change on the table. we’ve been building up power forever, but apparently never will be the time to use it. part of dore’s argument, if you actually listen to his original video, is that everyone knows the dems are gonna get blown the gently caress out in 2022 and there’s no more power we can reasonably accumulate in short enough of a timeframe. this is our peak

i don’t hate the squad and it’s good they are in Congress, but since being elected, they have accomplished nothing. the absolute least they could do is something symbolic like this, with something as safe of a bet as a bill whose approval rating is twice that of Nancy Pelosi’s nationwide, to demonstrate that the democrats are just as much enemies of progress

*i mean “representation” not as in racial representation, but as in “being leftists in congress who are open about it”

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

TheSlutPit posted:

bernie has a good soul, and I continue to respect him despite his transgressions

same. gently caress the haters!!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

participate 👏in 👏bourgeois 👏parliaments 👏

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Jet posted:

i don’t hate the squad and it’s good they are in Congress, but since being elected, they have accomplished nothing. the absolute least they could do is something symbolic like this, with something as safe of a bet as a bill whose approval rating is twice that of Nancy Pelosi’s nationwide, to demonstrate that the democrats are just as much enemies of progress

and for their troubles they're getting frozen out

https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1339964708317589505?s=19

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

yep. I’m talking about this in succ zone too but AOC giving that Intercept interview where she said she agrees Pelosi sucks but there’s nobody to replace her was a brilliant move where she found a worst of both worlds response to the M4A floor vote. now she pisses off the establishment without even getting to hold the vote. if anything this is now a great argument as to why she should do it, because she’s already in for a penny

this is of course also ignoring that the “you can’t piss off mama bear” argument is stupid because AOC pisses off the establishment by merely existing

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Listening to Virgil interview Zizek, I guess as usual I find myself disagreeing with some of his particulars, but agreeing with him over all.

Also I never realized how much I wanted Zizek to talk about Cesar till today

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
*sniff* Hegelian dialectics

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Is there a list of all the Walt Tremblay episodes?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
did someone do the obligatory "zizek is such a grifter just been rewriting the same poo poo for 20 years" complaint yet

THS
Sep 15, 2017

interesting how eric clapton has just been writing songs about wanting a tiny man inside his rear end to control him for way longer than 20 years but no one calls him a grifter

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
The chapo interview did give me the distinct feeling that the world has moved beyond the need for zizek. It's just more stream of consciousness and spitballing that never goes anywhere. Like, what's the plan of action here? Anything beyond "let's all decide to do social democracy lol" ?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I definitely heard him reiterate points and specific examples I read in his articles years ago, but I don't care.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

THS posted:

interesting how eric clapton has just been writing songs about wanting a tiny man inside his rear end to control him for way longer than 20 years but no one calls him a grifter

i think his post-Tool era was the most creative yet

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

A Bag of Milk posted:

Like, what's the plan of action here? Anything beyond "let's all decide to do social democracy lol" ?

zizek wants book money and despite openly saying that over-and-over for decades people still ask this lmao

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Or they just have way less power than people like Jimmy Dore thinks they do. AOC is clearly hated by the vast majority of the caucus. I also think they should vote against Pelosi just for the sake of voting against her but I don't think they are traitors and i'm going to say gently caress them the way Dore does.

mcmagic has issued a correction as of 19:19 on Dec 18, 2020

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Dr. Killjoy posted:

*sniff* Hegelian dialectics

Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel Hegel

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Mushroom Mushroom

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

A Bag of Milk posted:

The chapo interview did give me the distinct feeling that the world has moved beyond the need for zizek. It's just more stream of consciousness and spitballing that never goes anywhere. Like, what's the plan of action here? Anything beyond "let's all decide to do social democracy lol" ?

Zizek is great, but he is a philosophers and, like, a pop-culture commentator; he's not a politician. He's got opinions on the way forward, or maybe the lack off one, sure, but I don't get the impression he's going to lead any sort of movement, or has any interest in doing so.

Liberal media agrees with you though, and Zizek would be the first to tell you that. He's outlived his usefulness as a "inconvenient truth" / sacrificial intellectual. The novelty wore off and he became a bit too inconvenient.

thotsky has issued a correction as of 21:02 on Dec 18, 2020

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
the reason zizek is good is because he has a sense of humor about himself. he’s a smart guy who will tell you over and over to not listen to anything he says. his job is to talk and write books. it’s what he does.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Zizek is also very much into the public intellectual tactic of saying something that sounds inflammatory and then explaining himself once he has your attention; e.g. "the Soviet Union was a tragedy in a way that Nazi Germany was not." In this era of Goldfish Brain Media it doesn't grab people's attention so much.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I can't listen or watch zizek because his slackjawed flapping makes me physically nauseous

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
shut da fuk up, zegermans

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

mcmagic posted:

Or they just have way less power than people like Jimmy Dore thinks they do. AOC is clearly hated by the vast majority of the caucus. I also think they should vote against Pelosi just for the sake of voting against her but I don't think they are traitors and i'm going to say gently caress them the way Dore does.
they should do the john mccain thing where you let everyone think you're voting a certain way and then at the last minute, after you're already locked in and can't scheme or maneuver your way out of it, stick the knife in

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

listen that chapo episode opens up a world where Gamer Ziezek is yelling Gamer Words at Ceasars Legion and i hope we all agree that would be funny

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Goast posted:

did someone do the obligatory "zizek is such a grifter just been rewriting the same poo poo for 20 years" complaint yet

I don't trust anybody who's written that many big books

How much is there really to say. At a certain point you're just trying to sell more paper.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Piracy is praxis

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

I don't trust anybody who's written that many big books

How much is there really to say. At a certain point you're just trying to sell more paper.
if you'd actually read the books you'd know that each one of them is just 500 pages of him explaining various jokes

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

not telling them, just explaining them

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth
zizek and/or chapo should do a stream with ropekid. if the latter can pull a few hundred people watching him roll dice and enter data on a spreadsheet, internet celebrity fallout would do hasan numbers

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gorn Myson posted:

Piracy is praxis

i don't know why you posted this but agreed

Protagorean posted:

zizek and/or chapo should do a stream with ropekid. if the latter can pull a few hundred people watching him roll dice and enter data on a spreadsheet, internet celebrity fallout would do hasan numbers

this too, i want to know if AOC went for NCR or independent to see if she's a fallout succlib too

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

if you'd actually read the books you'd know that each one of them is just 500 pages of him explaining various jokes

Slavoj Žižek, the Adam Friedland of Philosophy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
virgil making the promo code 'chomsky' for zizek's new book made me laugh out loud

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Atrocious Joe posted:

Slavoj Žižek, the Adam Friedland of Philosophy
"you know? <sniff> there is an old joke they used to tell in east germany, eh! eh! and"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/anarchopac/status/1340231122970669057

Felix, Amber, and Matt

Dumper Humper
Jul 15, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

"you know? <sniff> there is an old joke they used to tell in east germany, eh! eh! and"

*sniff* guysh, it ish me, *sniff* cool zizek

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Dumper Humper posted:

*sniff* guysh, it ish me, *sniff* cool zizek

how do you do, fellow kidsh

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Do bang bang with your father and sho on

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005