Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Welp you guys I finally did it, after two days of near maniacal levels of drive, I have successfully turned what was once a biscuit shop to the #1 company in all of Yokohama that rakes in hundreds of millions of yen regularly.

I also went from scraping yens under vending machines to having loving 17 million yen on me.

Welp, guess it's time to go back to being an Unemployed bum and finish chapter 5! lol. that entire corporate mini game is like a fever dream that never happened except now I'll be able to buy whatever the gently caress I want and go to as many hostess clubs with the fellas as I want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

IF-7 in yakuza 4 finally lets me find out who's stronger - kiryu or kiryu

kiryu won repeatedly at first but kiryu managed to beat him in the end. picture a tiger drop stamping on a yakuza's stomach - forever

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
The OG bum is Shinada, where for a big part of his story I was too broke to even go do karaoke.

Kojiro posted:

Massive y7 spoilers: hey remind me which Tojo chairman entirely disbanded the Omi Alliance? Ah yes its my depressed gay son Daigo who I will defend to the death, that's who :smugbert:

But at what price :negative:

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Admiral Goodenough posted:

The OG bum is Shinada, where for a big part of his story I was too broke to even go do karaoke.
Good ol' 17 yen Shinada. In a lot of ways he feels like a first run at Ichiban, except for their very different policy on baseball bats as weapons.

But at what price :negative:

Still massive y7 spoilers: Worth it, imo. Tojo has been a limping mess since kiwami 1, it makes sense to Old Yeller it. I'm actually really glad they kept it all disbanded by the end cus it opens so many future plot doors that aren't "everything is imploding and the chairman is dead/shot/in a coma/whatever the gently caress happened in 4, let's call in [main character] to save the clan again". Hoping that unlike the end of y6, they actually let this descision stick

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I do like at certain points in the game characters are like "can you even afford that" and Ichiban acts broke, while I completed the management minigame and am absolutely flush with cash

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Good ol' 17 yen Shinada. In a lot of ways he feels like a first run at Ichiban, except for their very different policy on baseball bats as weapons.

Still massive y7 spoilers: Worth it, imo. Tojo has been a limping mess since kiwami 1, it makes sense to Old Yeller it. I'm actually really glad they kept it all disbanded by the end cus it opens so many future plot doors that aren't "everything is imploding and the chairman is dead/shot/in a coma/whatever the gently caress happened in 4, let's call in [main character] to save the clan again". Hoping that unlike the end of y6, they actually let this descision stick

Besides, they're basically just merging it and the Omi Alliance into a legit security company. The fundamental organisational structure is still there, it's just that everything's a bit more above-board now. That said, Masato let a particularly dangerous genie out of the bottle, and it remains to be seen how long a really obvious ex-yakuza company will be allowed to stay legit in a country radicalised by Bleach Japan.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

eonwe posted:

I do like at certain points in the game characters are like "can you even afford that" and Ichiban acts broke, while I completed the management minigame and am absolutely flush with cash

Yeah lol it’s gonna be a little bit of a mindfuck when I go back to the normal game and have to reconcile that I’m broke despite being the greatest businessman in all of Yokohama

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

You both make good points and I apologize for doubting Daigo's leadership :negative:

Cut off any finger you want, emo man

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 18, 2020

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah lol it’s gonna be a little bit of a mindfuck when I go back to the normal game and have to reconcile that I’m broke despite being the greatest businessman in all of Yokohama

There are a few places where it comes up that he owns he company though, so it’s not completely ignored

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Al-Saqr posted:

Welp, guess it's time to go back to being an Unemployed bum and finish chapter 5! lol. that entire corporate mini game is like a fever dream that never happened except now I'll be able to buy whatever the gently caress I want and go to as many hostess clubs with the fellas as I want.

Ahahahaha... let me talk to you about weapon upgrading...

Barudak
May 7, 2007

History Comes Inside! posted:

There are a few places where it comes up that he owns he company though, so it’s not completely ignored

Yeah, I appreciate when it comes up because a) previously that never happened and b) its hilarious every time because its like Ichiban just literally remembered oh yeah, I am president of an extremely successful business like you or I might remember we have another clean shirt in our closet

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

let's be fair, Ichiban doesn't have another clean shirt in his closet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

would he even care, if he did

(e) On the basis of the thread title and this game being Japanese As Hell, I switched straight from dub to sub before I even started LAD, was that an error

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

(e) On the basis of the thread title and this game being Japanese As Hell, I switched straight from dub to sub before I even started LAD, was that an error

Nah, the dub’s real good but I’m sure the sub is fantastic too. Plus you’re gonna be waiting at least three years for the sequel if you like it so just turn on English for the replay.

Also if you’re curious you can just use the cutscene viewer to see the first few scenes in English.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dub is real good and features asian american voice actors getting good work.

It also, personally, doesn't remind me of some dopes I work with who try to sound tough in business meetings.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Probably the weirdest part of the cracker shop/hobo life disconnect for me was (mid game plot spoilers) when the homeless yakuza, homeless cop, homeless hostess, and homeless hobo got captured, tied up, and Ichiban was getting tortured. I think I'd already finished the business stuff at that point, so the whole time they were going "Oh no, there's nobody to save us," I was picturing Eri standing just off-camera.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ciaphas posted:

No

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I liked that the end of the side story with the vocational school guy who can't land a job ends with Ichiban all like oh yeah, I'm the president of that company. Forgot to mention that.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

あんまり

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Got to the Majima fight last night and ended up having to leave, was a little underleveled.

But MAN the music in this game whips so loving hardddddddddd

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Got to the Majima fight last night and ended up having to leave, was a little underleveled.

But MAN the music in this game whips so loving hardddddddddd

Be sure to poison him.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Detective No. 27 posted:

Be sure to poison him.

Good to know, tbh even being underleveled victory didn't feel that far outside my grasp so I'm sure when I come back I'll be fine.

I got ko'ed by their loving amazing tag-team move so I ain't even mad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cheers friends

just started chapter 5 and got aforementioned homeless barkeep in my party, so I expect the game will open up soon

wonder when I get to craft or customize gear or whatever

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Dec 18, 2020

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You're real close to unlocking it.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!
Saeko isn't homeless, she just hangs out in your shack because she likes having friends and you buy her beer

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kojiro posted:

Saeko isn't homeless, she just hangs out in your shack because she likes having friends and you buy her beer

Also, because you don't often meet a forty-two-year-old guy who's legitimately impressive when he takes off his shirt.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Saeko is the writers being like, “What if kept Kaoru in Kiryu’s story?”

It would have kicked untold amounts of rear end if you could play as her

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Played and beat 4 HD the other day. Felt like they changed the last battle because it felt like I didn't need the Sacred Tree set at all. The enemies were just more annoying by dodging constantly.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

Besides, they're basically just merging it and the Omi Alliance into a legit security company. The fundamental organisational structure is still there, it's just that everything's a bit more above-board now. That said, Masato let a particularly dangerous genie out of the bottle, and it remains to be seen how long a really obvious ex-yakuza company will be allowed to stay legit in a country radicalised by Bleach Japan.

I mean it's also obvious that a whoooole bunch of mooks aren't going to want to become goody two shoe security contractors since the whole point of yakuzas being a thing in the first place is that they don't fit in normal society for one reason or another ; so there's likely going to be a New And Improved Omi/Tojo Loyalist Rebirth down the line - Tendo isn't dead and probably wants revenge on just about everybody ; Ishioda may or may not have blown up but no corpse means he wasn't ; Lao Ma just doesn't know when to stop ; and of course there's the darkest, most savage oyabun of them all : Ono Michio.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

sometimes bullets just send you to ijincho like a zelda ocarina.

It shares that characteristic with phenazepam

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The ridiculous way the plot in Yakuza 4 has to contort itself to make Saejima retroactively not actually a murderer is absolutely hilarious.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Cactrot posted:

The ridiculous way the plot in Yakuza 4 has to contort itself to make Saejima retroactively not actually a murderer is absolutely hilarious.

Yeah, it still doesn't really redeem him that much because he thought he was killing people and basically put them in the situation that caused them to be killed. Also, if you do buy that it redeems him, it basically defangs a lot of the stuff Saejima said earlier in the game.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Also only mildly related, "Saejima doesn't kill people" is an even harder pill to swallow than Kiryu. Pretty much every single one of his heat actions would be instant death on a person, brains would be splattered all over the pavement.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cactrot posted:

there's the cutscene in the ramen place where this is revealed when Katsuragi shoots everyone in the head, and then there's a bit later where Munakata the Chief Bad Policeman is like "uhhh the coroner found rubber bullet bruises on the bodies that were also all shot in the loving head, how are you this stupid" to Sugiuchi the Bad Yakuza Plant Policeman which i could simply not stop laughing at

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

It's strange that RGG went to such lengths to establish that he didn't kill anyone. I don't get the sense that the average Yakuza player would have been outraged to see a playable character who is a real criminal. He's referred to by others as 18-count Saejima even after Y4 so it's not like he's very publicly declared innocent either.

It's also weird that Yakuza 0 shows Majima being conflicted about killing Makoto (when he still thought Makoto was an abusive dude) when he was completely down to kill 10+ people just some years earlier.

For a franchise that's all about organized crime (and karaoke), RGG are so reluctant to show the protagonists doing anything too illegal and for what?

MIDWIFE CRISIS fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 18, 2020

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Arzaac posted:

Also only mildly related, "Saejima doesn't kill people" is an even harder pill to swallow than Kiryu. Pretty much every single one of his heat actions would be instant death on a person, brains would be splattered all over the pavement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFqZfwrC0BQ&t=140s

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's strange that RGG went to such lengths to establish that he didn't kill anyone. I don't get the sense that the average Yakuza player would have been outraged to see a playable character who is a real criminal. He's referred to by others as 18-count Saejima even after Y4 so it's not like he's very publicly declared innocent either.

It's also weird that Yakuza 0 shows Majima being conflicted about killing Makoto (when he still thought Makoto was an abusive dude) when he was completely down to kill 10+ people just some years earlier.

For a franchise that's all about organized crime (and karaoke), RGG are so reluctant to show the protagonists doing anything too illegal and for what?

To not get a CERO Z rating in Japan

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Every time anyone (whether it was a storyline character or a random punk in the street) picked a fight with Saejima all I could think is "Really? REALLY? Of everyone here you're going to pick on the guy who looks like the love child of a grizzly bear and an Abrahms tank?"

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

I mean it's also obvious that a whoooole bunch of mooks aren't going to want to become goody two shoe security contractors since the whole point of yakuzas being a thing in the first place is that they don't fit in normal society for one reason or another ; so there's likely going to be a New And Improved Omi/Tojo Loyalist Rebirth down the line - Tendo isn't dead and probably wants revenge on just about everybody ; Ishioda may or may not have blown up but no corpse means he wasn't ; Lao Ma just doesn't know when to stop ; and of course there's the darkest, most savage oyabun of them all : Ono Michio.

That said, I can see some small form of redemption for Mabuchi at some point, simply so that Zhao's efforts for him eventually get rewarded. He'll always be ambitious, but he might not always be a monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Grinding business to get enough money to upgrade the workshop and hey y'know what

Why can't Ichiban Holdings just BUY romance workshop

Dump some chump change into it so it can build all the good weapons, then sell it to get a higher earner

Save me a lot of time :argh: