Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Griz posted:

there's an easy way to figure that out
cleave 2 adds = behind is safe
cleave 0 adds = front is safe
cleave 1 add = opposite add is safe

Light Rampant is terrible and that whole fight was too long, but I'd rather have more fights like that than O10S or current E12N where the entire first half is a snooze and then everyone dies to a mechanic and you have to start all over.

O10S killed my static, not cause we couldn't clear but because it was such a boringnfucking fight to have to get through to get to the fun poo poo with so many lovely mechanics in the back half of the fight so you had to trudge through spin phase to just die to hotwing because the tether freaked out and server ticks decided it didnt transfer actually.

Garbage loving trash fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I joined the amaro gang

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
I'm replaying the entire game on an alt right now. I love how FFXIV does dragons better than both Skyrim and Dragon Age.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

And Game of Thrones! Although I guess that bar got lowered a lot by the end

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

"Space alien refugees from genocidal war who have a legit grievance with the locals that went off the rails over time and some are still super pissed about it" is a pretty unique take on fantasy dragons yeah, and it actually works pretty well.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Thundarr posted:

In his appearances before like 4.4 he seems like he's some typical pragmatist authoritarian conquerer but then it turns out he's Ben Shapiro / Well Actually guy with daddy issues and the only reason his burns land at all is because everybody else has enough self awareness to feel bad about their mistakes.

One of the things I appreciate about FFXIV's writing is that it's okay with not actually spelling this out and letting the players figure out that Varis is a moron on their own.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Thundarr posted:

"Space alien refugees from genocidal war who have a legit grievance with the locals that went off the rails over time and some are still super pissed about it" is a pretty unique take on fantasy dragons yeah, and it actually works pretty well.

Wait, they're aliens? I think I missed that part :v:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kazy posted:

They're "from another star", which is ffxiv speak for alien

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Its easy to write off a lot of the writing explaining it in ARR and HW as overly flowery fantasy writing, but the omega raids are a lot more up front about it.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~
^^^^^^^^^ :argh:

Kazy posted:

I can't remember if that comes up in the MSQ (even though I'd recently replayed through 2.5, which is the point you'd have expected it to come up in), but it was covered in more detail in the SB raid series.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Alright, I never got far into the Omega line, figures. I knew Omega was an alien but not about the dragons.

Also, just won the mini Cactpot twice in a row.

Kazy fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 18, 2020

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the main story quest has gotten too stressful so i have been catching up on side stuff and i have to say, alpha and greg are the best characters in the game

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the main story quest has gotten too stressful so i have been catching up on side stuff and i have to say, alpha and greg are the best characters in the game

Sounds like somebody went to ahm araeng.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Kazy posted:

Alright, I never got far into the Omega line, figures. I knew Omega was an alien but not about the dragons.

Omega is here in the first place because he was chasing Midgardsormr who arrived first - I forget if it was either because they were both from the same place originally or if he just ran into Midgardsormr in the middle of his own wanderings and was like "oh poo poo this guy can give me a proper fight get back here!"

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Meiteron posted:

Omega is here in the first place because he was chasing Midgardsormr who arrived first - I forget if it was either because they were both from the same place originally or if he just ran into Midgardsormr in the middle of his own wanderings and was like "oh poo poo this guy can give me a proper fight get back here!"

Omega was designed specifically to kick Midgardsormr's rear end because for whatever reason the people that built him hated the dragons and wanted them gone from their Star.
The tragic reveal in their backstory is that at one point Omega reasoned that Middy had been pursued and battered enough that he would never return or be a threat to his creators, but they were also so far away that Omega's sensors couldn't contact home to get an all clear to cancel original orders and return. So the eternal pursuit and combat must remain his only goal.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I went into 5.2 with no Savage raiding experience and I'm amazed I actually managed to clear that tier. Light Rampant is no loving joke.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
I just resubbed after a long break (life) and my brain squirreled away all of my story progress because once I started 5.3 MSQ everything came flooding back to me, and considering how addled my brain is that's pretty good writing :v:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I still want to free Tiamat :colbert:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hazardousmouse posted:

I still want to free Tiamat :colbert:

She doesn't want to be free she just wants to mope. (maybe she should get upset if you start running around her with Bahamut-egi out)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Thundarr posted:

She doesn't want to be free she just wants to mope. (maybe she should get upset if you start running around her with Bahamut-egi out)

I really liked the bit where Ohl Deeh visits her in the HW allied best tribe questline.

Such a good kid :allears:

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
lol I'm totally gonna make a painting of this goblin mask I fished out of the ocean

edit: lord help me ocean fishing is more fun than I expected and I already have the mount after like three runs

hazardousmouse fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 18, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

my WoL's outfit added an extra note of comedy to this scene from the second set of hildibrand quests, linking it due to spoileriness for that questline https://i.imgur.com/lkqHX6c.jpg

That's beautiful.

One of my guildies has a froghead on her character and keeps forgetting to take it off for cutscenes. Every bit of new content we'll hear "gah, FROG."

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Completed E9 for the first time this morning, and only 1 token allowed per week? They really want to stretch this raid out, don't they.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So the same as every other raid tier ever?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So the same as every other raid tier ever?

Ha, perhaps. Eden questline is the farthest I've gone for raids. Others I may have gone 2-3 into the questlines.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah, one token per boss per week has always been the limit, at least for a patch or so until they uncap them. So the other Eden raids have no cap, but they did for the patch they launched.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

It can be an adjustment for your first time at end content, I had the same.

The good news is that everything's either one two or four tokens so you can decide what gear you're going for ahead of time and know you're gonna get *something*. Also easier to (eventually) gear up alts. In contrast the 24-man's style of random specific gear drops, need to decide if you're gonna go for it before seeing what else is in the run just feels clunky.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yeah, one token per boss per week has always been the limit, at least for a patch later when they might uncap them. So the other Eden raids have no cap, but they did for the patch they launched.

Ohhh ok, so I can move on to E10-12 and get a token today for each, but then have to wait a week to play them again for more tokens?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

Ohhh ok, so I can move on to E10-12 and get a token today for each, but then have to wait a week to play them again for more tokens?

Correct.

King Cohort
Mar 14, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Yes, one token per fight per week. (One sword from E12 to trade-in for a weapon tomestone per week, as well.)

Also, 24-man raids only let you get 1 coin and 1 item drop per week, in the patch in which they were launched. Puppet's Bunker is a patch old, so this restriction is gone for that raid, but it'll be in place for the 5.5 Nier raid, whenever that drops.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

King Cohort posted:

Yes, one token per fight per week. (One sword from E12 to trade-in for a weapon tomestone per week, as well.)

Also, 24-man raids only let you get 1 coin and 1 item drop per week, in the patch in which they were launched. Puppet's Bunker is a patch old, so this restriction is gone for that raid, but it'll be in place for the 5.5 Nier raid, whenever that drops.

Good to know, thanks!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Has anyone noticed issues on the final fight of Ghimlyt Dark after the latest patch? There's some bizarre glitch I've encountered twice now where a portion of the arena will suddenly have LoS blocked and I have to scramble around to try and drop heals on the tank. I think it mostly seems to happen after the canister phase.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Big end of 5.3 spoilers, but golden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5ippnbVCaM

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
We should start a betting pool on what the expansion's signature job is going to be

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It would be cool if it was one of the casters or even a healer, but I'm pretty certain that it will be another melee class because the cutscene WOL is a big manly man who only plays manly strength-based classes. So probably paladin.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I accidentally queued for a second LDR instead of Trials and I am now in Shisui with a Black Mage who is chain casting Fire 1 and a tank and healer who are a couple and keeping lagging and DCing. I am dead and this is hell.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Yeah, my bet is Paladin because it's the most boring melee beater option still on the table. I'd love for them to go Summoner, since it feels really thematically appropriate for what's coming, but nah, we're gonna watch a sword-and-board surrounded by actually interesting things.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I got rouletted into Crown of the Immaculate and managed to get a sick rear end screenshot so now y'all get to see it. :colbert:

I'm the PLD

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
summoner (possibly scholar) if they break the melee/tank thing, gunbreaker otherwise. wol was the same job as the scion-in-focus during stormblood, that's not a restriction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
red mage if a caster, gunbreaker if not