Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I can put off making the thread for a few months then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Yurucamp S2 and Non Non Biyori Nonstop are basically can't-fail shows for me, and I'm pretty optimistic about Otherside Picnic too. I'm optimistically curious about Vlad Love, Wonder Egg Priority, and Promised Neverland 2, and there's a handful of other shows I expect to at least be good popcorn fun. Most stacked a season's been for me probably since 2018.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

When's Tokyo Babylon

really hope GoHands doesn't GoHands it up but I do not traditionally get what I want

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna look like a GoHands show but GoHands shows kinda look like Tokyo Babylon so

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Beefs

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

gohands makes brilliant looking adaptations, see seitokai yakuindom

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah Yurucamp S2 and Non Non Biyori Nonstop are basically can't-fail shows for me, and I'm pretty optimistic about Otherside Picnic too. I'm optimistically curious about Vlad Love, Wonder Egg Priority, and Promised Neverland 2, and there's a handful of other shows I expect to at least be good popcorn fun. Most stacked a season's been for me probably since 2018.
Slime Isekai Season 2's gonna be leagues better than the first I'll tell you that much. Re Zero will continue to kick rear end. Spider Isekai got an art upgrade so it's probably very good now.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

spider isekai is by the berserk 2016 / cop craft folks and the pv looks kinda rough so i wouldn't expect much from it visually

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Winter Anime 2021: Nonstop Nyanpasu Nai wa~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reiiQH1LmJo

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 18, 2020

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Davincie posted:

gohands makes brilliant looking adaptations, see seitokai yakuindom

Are we talking the first season or the second? (I know they did both) Because the first was way more interesting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

spider isekai is by the berserk 2016 / cop craft folks and the pv looks kinda rough so i wouldn't expect much from it visually
Compare the 2018 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geMv8Lwk2sM

To the recent 2020 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZE4ZZiXBQY

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

Are we talking the first season or the second? (I know they did both) Because the first was way more interesting.

whichever featured more hata ranko, i dont renember

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
I just wish spider isekai would use the manga's designs, far simpler, cuter, better in every way. Blows my mind that they're still trying with that style.

That new trailer certainly looks like a big upgrade but, eh.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Vlad Love: The lesbian Kizumonogatari I always wanted.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wandering Witch ending on sequel hook that the show can't justify is a fitting end for the most disappointing show of the season

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Wandering Witch ending on sequel hook that the show can't justify is a fitting end for the most disappointing show of the season
The end should have been a kid closing a book and going. "Niké really didn't need a sequel"

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I mean it's getting a second season so it makes sense. :shrug:

Also despite complaints here, Wandering Witch has consistently been one of the top rated shows of the season.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Julias posted:

I mean it's getting a second season so it makes sense. :shrug:

Wait, has that been announced?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wait, has that been announced?

Sorry, I jumped the gun a bit, but it definitely feels like it's aiming for a season 2. Whether it gets it or not likely depends on improved merch sales (which I do think It'll achieve)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

Sorry, I jumped the gun a bit, but it definitely feels like it's aiming for a season 2. Whether it gets it or not likely depends on improved merch sales (which I do think It'll achieve)

Plenty of shows do this, it's a toss-up as to if it'll actually work.

Even the recent Kino's Journey adaptation ends on a "maybe we'll get more episodes! :v:" epilogue vignette.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I will say it's kind of funny how the anime ends on a story (which I liked in the books) that's pretty much entirely dependent on the viewer having some level of affection for Elaina herself, when I and basically everyone I hang out with would probably say the show's biggest problem is that it makes Elaina much much much harder to like compared to the source material lol.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

For me, the most disappointing show is Yashahime, if only because outside of Moroha, Towa and Setsuna are boring as gently caress, and they keep focusing on having that Shippo replacement around

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I will say it's kind of funny how the anime ends on a story (which I liked in the books) that's pretty much entirely dependent on the viewer having some level of affection for Elaina herself, when I and basically everyone I hang out with would probably say the show's biggest problem is that it makes Elaina much much much harder to like compared to the source material lol.

Saya seemed like a way better lead just based on the anime

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
okay hear me out here

Winter 2021: The Right to Bear EX-ARMs

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

After a rough start I ended up enjoying both DanMachi S3 and Jujutsu Kaisen. I still need to get fully caught up on Akudama Drive, Sleepy Princess and Talentless Nana though but finding the time to fit in more than 2-3 shows gets harder this time of year with all the extra time I end up putting in at work.

What do we have for action, sci-fi and adventure shows next season? It looks like a ton of stuff got bumped to this upcoming one so I want to try and pace myself better if there ends up being a big list of shows to watch again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Jujutsu Kaisen is legit the most fun I've had watching an anime in 2020 since, like, maybe Eizouken.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Furnaceface posted:

What do we have for action, sci-fi and adventure shows next season? It looks like a ton of stuff got bumped to this upcoming one so I want to try and pace myself better if there ends up being a big list of shows to watch again.

the Kemono Jihen manga has been really good and I'm hopeful the anime will also be very good and a lot of fun

new pv btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCggzUJKAzw

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

the Kemono Jihen manga has been really good and I'm hopeful the anime will also be very good and a lot of fun

new pv btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCggzUJKAzw

I hope the anime will bring my friends into the Kemono Jihen fold, it's definitely my favorite ongoing shonen right now

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
really hoping this also leads to the manga getting licensed

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's in Jump SQ with a bunch of other stuff that is on WSJ app and getting physical releases so i'm just baffled why it has been left out so long. not sure when Moriarty the Patriot started making it over, but i know they only just released the first English volume of that around the anime start, so fingers crossed

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
Winter Anime Season 2021: Have you vaccinated your waifu?
Winter Anime Season 2021: Oh god, not more loving furries.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I’ve been very surprised at the negative reaction Wandering Witch gets from some people because I loved it, and Elaina herself would probably rank up there with one of my favorite characters of the year. She just has such a fun gives-no-fucks attitude. Haven’t read the novels so I can’t say what she’s like there, but they’d have to be amazing to outdo some of the moments from this week’s Into the Elainaverse.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
anitwitter and reddit were both really positive on majo no tabitabi, it's just that there was also generally a vocal minority decrying the adaptation as reflected in places like here in adtrw

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Part of my beef with the show is that it doesn't quite know what to do with Elaina. We know she's motivated to travel because of all the stories in the Niké book she grew up with. And we know that as a prodigy, she had things pretty good and grew up in a kind of bubble.

The first episode shows us how she was ostracized, and Fran goes to great lengths to teach her patience and humility to make a point. But Elaina herself doesn't really grow from then on. And it's frustrating to see her rise to righteous fury when someone cuts her hair but just kind of peace out and wander away when a zombified plague-carrier is wandering around outside of a town.

If the journey has no discernable impact on the wanderer, what's the point?

Bakeneko posted:

She just has such a fun gives-no-fucks attitude.
Ah, this woman is doted on by an oblivious rich suitor who doesn't understand that she will never have the kind of freedom he takes for granted! Oh, that reminds me of a similar story about someone killing themselves out of boundless grief for their wreched existence!

Hmm, a butterfly *doot de doot*

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I'm morbidly curious to see how they're going to handle Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu grossness. Though probably not enough to watch it myself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Part of my beef with the show is that it doesn't quite know what to do with Elaina. We know she's motivated to travel because of all the stories in the Niké book she grew up with. And we know that as a prodigy, she had things pretty good and grew up in a kind of bubble.

The first episode shows us how she was ostracized, and Fran goes to great lengths to teach her patience and humility to make a point. But Elaina herself doesn't really grow from then on. And it's frustrating to see her rise to righteous fury when someone cuts her hair but just kind of peace out and wander away when a zombified plague-carrier is wandering around outside of a town.

If the journey has no discernable impact on the wanderer, what's the point?

I feel they could've done something with her mom's rule of "run if you have to" by having Elaina try to stick around and help the town for a few days just to have to get out and go without looking back once it's obvious things are utterly hosed there.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

I think the point of this kind of show is that, while there is some continuity between episodes/chapters, they’re mostly meant to be taken as independent short stories rather than one continuous narrative. So things like growth for the main character are less important than they would be otherwise; it matters more that they be well-defined from the beginning.

And Elaina is well-defined as a character, imo. Even though the finale has a joke about how she seems bland next to her alternate selves who all have obvious quirks. She’s whimsical and curious but she’s also confident and self-assured in a way that’s rare for an anime protagonist. Her motivation is simply to travel around and see as much of the world as possible, and she usually dislikes getting caught up in other people's problems but if someone messes with her first she'll ensure they regret it.

It's understandable why people would be disappointed if they don’t like anthologies and went into this expecting something more like a classic Hero’s Journey adventure, but that’s just not what it's going for.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Bakeneko posted:

It's understandable why people would be disappointed if they don’t like anthologies and went into this expecting something more like a classic Hero’s Journey adventure, but that’s just not what it's going for.
Doesn't really feel that way to me when so many people who were Kino fans are the ones who would up disappointed with Elaina.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nate RFB posted:

Doesn't really feel that way to me when so many people who were Kino fans are the ones who would up disappointed with Elaina.

Love the way she just brushes off Violent Elaina's experiences like they're nothing simply because they didn't happen to her. Real sympathetic protagonist right there.

Kino's a great protagonist because everything in her design tells you something about what she's done and seen off-screen as well as on. She has a strict morning routine of practicing with her guns. She cuts her hair short to obfuscate her gender to strangers at a glance. And she has zero hesitation about using her guns when she has to, even if it's someone she was friendly towards mere moments ago. Nothing is said about these details, they just exist and say a lot more about the good times and bad in Kino's journey because of that.

Elaina just turns up, smiles blandly and leaves to see what's at the next destination without actually learning anything about the place she visited in the proud tradition of obnoxious tourists everywhere. All she's missing is a camera, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

everyone got infected with the really boring politics-brain between 2003 and now, is mostly why everyone's handwringing about wandering witch. the adaptation seems to make some dumb choices but iunno why people get their dander up about it.