Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

To me it's fine, much in the same way that like a Corolla is fine. Upper quartile is stretching it in my opinion. It's not a very interesting design.

Teslas are just not really visually appealing but in the days of horrifying huge grills, ugly overstyling and ridiculously tall trucks, it's honestly a welcome relief to have boring that fades into the background.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

Here's even a better front:

That one still works ; and the rear is lovely on that AMG/DB

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I don't understand people saying they like the rear of the Mach-E but dislike the front. The fat rear is the main thing keeping me back right now (also because all the reviewers can't help but emphasize how practical it is and god damnit I want a Mustang not a practical car <:mad:> )

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a Mach e and a GT500, problem solved.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Finger Prince posted:

I just never really got the hate for the 3. It looks pretty decent. I guess people don't like the mouthless grille, but compared to basically anything else, it's easily in the upper quartile of otherwise ordinary cars as far as looks go.

The "mouthless" grille is fine as a concept (but badly executed on the 3 as it looks like someone stepped on it). My biggest complaint is the bad proportions, ugly rear quarter and the squashed front. Then there are minor things that look really bad IMO like the super small rear indicator lights etc.
Other EVs look much better, although many designs are still in the "let's look different and quirky!" design stage. At least newer EVs are starting to look pretty good. Some look properly bad though like the Merc EQC. It's actually uglier that the Model X, which is a feat in itself...

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

MrOnBicycle posted:

The "mouthless" grille is fine as a concept (but badly executed on the 3 as it looks like someone stepped on it). My biggest complaint is the bad proportions, ugly rear quarter and the squashed front. Then there are minor things that look really bad IMO like the super small rear indicator lights etc.
Other EVs look much better, although many designs are still in the "let's look different and quirky!" design stage. At least newer EVs are starting to look pretty good. Some look properly bad though like the Merc EQC. It's actually uglier that the Model X, which is a feat in itself...

How much you like the look of a vehicle is often subjective so you don't have to justify it to anyone. There are people out there that like the look of a PT Cruiser which I think is hideous.

My one complaint about many new EVs in general is the giant fake grills they put on them which almost universally makes them look worse. I think Tesla wins here just because the only grill they have on the front is a much smaller real one that is hidden down low.

Indiana_Krom fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 18, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You need something visually to break up the giant flat or smooth planes in front. You don't need a grille like panel but it is easier. I think the Taycan does relatively well with a small lower grille and some different horizontal and vertical lines, plus a weird headlamp treatment.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the hyundai/kia fake solid grills with the charging port, it looks extremely cyberpunk 2077 :haw:

That said I would probably prefer the port on the side either at the rear corner or in front of the front door like the pacifica.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A front plate helps fill out the front, but it looks a bit low on the Norwegian cars.

It still looks odd, it's like a Model S that was malnourished as a child. I'd still drive the hell out of it, because considering the total package (if you live in Europe or continental US for the charging network), it's easily the best EV on the market

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

A front plate helps fill out the front, but it looks a bit low on the Norwegian cars.

It still looks odd, it's like a Model S that was malnourished as a child. I'd still drive the hell out of it, because considering the total package (if you live in Europe or continental US for the charging network), it's easily the best EV on the market

Could be that all the ones I've seen have front plates. But I think it's the headlights that do it for me. They're really really nice, especially with the DRLs on. So that might be why I find them pretty decent looking, living in a front plate and DRL mandated place. Nice headlights on an otherwise pretty bland but not aggressively ugly body make for an overall nice looking car.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Ola posted:

Eh they look like they were styled by a 90s computer game designer. The Model S is better but looks a lot like a Ford Mondeo to me.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

is it just me or is that shut line from the front driver's door totally hosed up?

(or possibly the door is slightly ajar?)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Teslas are just not really visually appealing but in the days of horrifying huge grills, ugly overstyling and ridiculously tall trucks, it's honestly a welcome relief to have boring that fades into the background.

There is merit to this argument.
I don't hate it. It is at the very least inoffensive, and not outright ugly.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

To me, the sedans at least are pretty inoffensive and blandly risk-free in appearance. Not great, not terrible. I think the smooth front grill area still looks off, but it is better than the shiny black filled-in faux grill of the original S design.

The X and Y look oddly proportioned to me though. They should have tried a little harder to make them SUV shaped if they want them to be SUVs.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Personally, the 2014-2019 Kia Soul EVs are the best looking EV. :q:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bandire posted:

The X and Y look oddly proportioned to me though. They should have tried a little harder to make them SUV shaped if they want them to be SUVs.

I feel like this is all CUVs. I know the categorization is all branding and no meaning, but to me:

SUV == tahoe, bronco, k5 blazer, land cruiser, etc.
CUV == Sedan that drank some dr. jekyll juice

I always get a feeling of revulsion when I see one of these.

It's a symbol of the world feeling like everything has to look threatening and aggressive.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Had to take the KIA Niro EV into the dealership because the windshield washer stopped working.

Found the problem. COYOTES.

Specifically the local coyotes ate all the neighborhood cats, even this big boy:

(Neighbor's cat that hung out with us all day long).

So the rats are back and the rats apparently like the washer fluid lines in the Kia.

I had visions of them eating the 480v? Wiring. That would have been very bad.

So while this sets me back $150, at least I know to use the rat repellant spray (it worked on the old Toyota).

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Those BMWs are abominations for sure. That class of cars look like the front and back halves of the cars were designed by entirely separate teams that were never allowed to meet. That goddamn Accord Crosstour is another one that broke my brain.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Bandire posted:

To me, the sedans at least are pretty inoffensive and blandly risk-free in appearance. Not great, not terrible. I think the smooth front grill area still looks off, but it is better than the shiny black filled-in faux grill of the original S design.

My shot in the dark guess for why they didn't make them "SUV" shaped is because being an EV, aerodynamics matter that much more so in order to hit their range targets the vehicle couldn't be a brick on a skateboard.

Though the cybertruck then raises a lot of questions, but we are presuming it will have a significantly higher capacity pack (up to 200 kWh?) to push through the atmosphere.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Indiana_Krom posted:

My shot in the dark guess for why they didn't make them "SUV" shaped is because being an EV, aerodynamics matter that much more so in order to hit their range targets the vehicle couldn't be a brick on a skateboard.

Though the cybertruck then raises a lot of questions, but we are presuming it will have a significantly higher capacity pack (up to 200 kWh?) to push through the atmosphere.

Decades ago I flew RC gliders. There were a few people who had their own designs using angular shapes like the CyberTruck. Surprisingly they worked well.

Turns out the front doesn't matter as much as the trailing 2/3rd.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I hated it when BMW went nuts and hosed up their numbering scheme.. the 6 series are large 2 doors, goddammit!! What’s this 4 door fastback bull poo poo?!?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

priznat posted:

I hated it when BMW went nuts and hosed up their numbering scheme.. the 6 series are large 2 doors, goddammit!! What’s this 4 door fastback bull poo poo?!?

They have to walk all their models up a few numbers to slot in a smaller car in at the bottom of the range because model bloat has made the 3 series as large as the E60 5 series.

It's either that or sell the BMW 0.5 series

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Indiana_Krom posted:

CT is probably significantly more aero then people expect. The nose is simple and edged, the rest is all smooth, the underside is probably covered as well. Definitely better than ICE trucks. It'll still be big and heavy though.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Kia Niro EV 3 month ownership trip report - it's still a really decent car that costs a touch too much.

The director of my company took it for a spin and has one on order to replace his Audi S3 because he's commuting 50 miles a day and gas mileage is really, really pissing him off.

It has survived 3 months of a very, very muddy 9 year old with barely a scratch.

I still drive it for fun a few times a week, so it's not a totally boring car.

It's the first car I've had where I haven't had a major gripe - usually the audio integration annoys the hell out of me (Citroen; randomly played the first track on my phone maybe 1/5 times I turned the car on, VW; gunna take maybe 2 minutes to start playing anything and you're going to have to restart the whole car if I gently caress up, Ford; hope you like tech that's 10 years out of date already lol, Mercedes: pressing like 8 random touchscreen buttons to actually play from your phone EVERY TIME is good UX right? Also going to just default to whatev radio station while you press those buttons.)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

ilkhan posted:

CT is probably significantly more aero then people expect. The nose is simple and edged, the rest is all smooth, the underside is probably covered as well. Definitely better than ICE trucks. It'll still be big and heavy though.

It has those wacky bedsides which are probably fantastic for aero, and absolutely terrible for almost any other legitimate truck use.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Elviscat posted:

It has those wacky bedsides which are probably fantastic for aero, and absolutely terrible for almost any other legitimate truck use.

much like most trucks these days, the cybertruck will not see much legitimate truck use

bed heights in modern half tons are getting out of control, let alone 3/4 tons

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

much like most trucks these days, the cybertruck will not see much legitimate truck use

bed heights in modern half tons are getting out of control, let alone 3/4 tons

Accurate.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I got to sit in a Mach E yesterday. Couldn't drive it so no comments there but it felt nice to sit in.

It's a lot more car sized than CUV size but as a 6'2" adult there was plenty of room in the front seats for me. The rear is another story and with the front seat in my driving position I just fit in the back. It would be fine for shorter drives but long road trips would be bad. That was leg room, head room was amazing and with the glass roof it did not feel cramped at all.

The interior felt very nice and the screens were cool. The instrument display only had some animation playing but I could touch through the main screen menus. Sync 4 is very fast, no lag at all pressing things. The physical volume wheel was nice too.

The door handles: they were certainly different and I saw quite a few people get confused trying to use them. But once you know it's pretty natural to hit the button and pull the handle at the same time. Kids also seemed to pick it up quick and they had no problem hitting the button and opening the rear doors by pulling on the door edge.

Trunk space was just OK and while I didn't measure or anything it seems like you could only fit 1 or 2 large suitcases and maybe they wouldn't fit the long-way without needing to put down the back seats.

While I would still like to test drive one eventually... a Mach-E would fit 99% of my driving needs and I might consider ordering it sight-unseen except for the rear seats. Those would be a downgrade in size for my family from my current Fusion Hybrid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJPQF5m1vrg

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

drat I hadn't really seen it from the side before but that's just bland CUV, and the rear isn't great either. Probably a fun and useful car though, I can see why people would buy one.

Re: cybertruck - I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics because what was previously shown is not going to get made

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MomJeans420 posted:

Re: cybertruck - I wouldn't worry too much about the specifics because what was previously shown is not going to get made

No stainless body = no buy.

:colbert:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The GT looks much better

https://twitter.com/fayettvilleford/status/1338133611707584512?s=21

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Fords website makes it look like the GT gets steel for a roof, instead of the giant glass panel. I wonder if it saves weight, or just because steel is easier to reinforce against body flex.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
The specs page says the glass is optional on the GT.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

:stare: drat I love that colour. I would be so down for the GT.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

MomJeans420 posted:

drat I hadn't really seen it from the side before but that's just bland CUV, and the rear isn't great either. Probably a fun and useful car though, I can see why people would buy one.

Will you permaban yourself forever if the cybertruck gets built?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Shamino posted:

Will you permaban yourself forever if the cybertruck gets built?

I think they were saying that it won't match the concept vehicle, not that it won't be built at all.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

EV noob here, sorry in advance if my question demonstrates my incompetence.

What are the main downsides of converting an ICE-car to an EV when compared with buying a native EV? I am daydreaming about using a Volvo/Subaru wagon as a donor to (pay someone to) make an EV that has a range of ~400 miles. If I had the car, would the conversion be more expensive than a native EV with a similar range? Or are converted cars less reliable than native EVs?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

theHUNGERian posted:

EV noob here, sorry in advance if my question demonstrates my incompetence.

What are the main downsides of converting an ICE-car to an EV when compared with buying a native EV? I am daydreaming about using a Volvo/Subaru wagon as a donor to (pay someone to) make an EV that has a range of ~400 miles. If I had the car, would the conversion be more expensive than a native EV with a similar range? Or are converted cars less reliable than native EVs?

The costs depend on how much work you’re able to do yourself and the ability to source surplus batteries at a low cost.

This is a good site for info: https://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

What are the main downsides of converting an ICE-car to an EV when compared with buying a native EV?

The cost and also poor integration of components. In good EVs, the parts work together. E.g. the coolant circuit can help heat the cabin while cooling the battery while fast charging. Just getting fast charging at all it's tricky in a home built.

theHUNGERian posted:

If I had the car, would the conversion be more expensive than a native EV with a similar range? Or are converted cars less reliable than native EVs?

Definitely more expensive. Nevermind the components, just the fabrication in putting a new drivetrain in an ICE car is hugely expensive if done by skilled labor.

Conversions might be more reliable, ironically, but that's only because they have a much more limited feature set. Software is the strength and weakness of EVs, conversions tend to not have any software at all.

Btw, 400 mile range is top of the range Teslas, where it's not only the battery size that does it but also the aero and drivetrain efficiency. In the real world, charging speed and availability trumps pure range.

The only good remaining case for DIY conversion is to keep a poorly engined classic running, where you don't need fast charging or other modern EV conveniences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
The only way it will probably be less expensive is if you have the know how to DIY everything and have a source of salvaged parts (see: rich rebuilds), and even then the compromises you'll make will probably make you wish you just bought a production EV.

More or less, this is probably one of those "if you have to ask" questions