Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The Chinese troops have invaded Wisconsin. Their first objective was to bomb the dialysis and insulin clinics to disable the resistance movement that was beginning to form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The Chinese troops have invaded Wisconsin. Their first objective was to bomb the dialysis and insulin clinics to disable the resistance movement that was beginning to form

seems to be the opposite problem, actually

https://twitter.com/verge/status/1340065195847258112

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

theCalamity posted:

"Prefer" doesn't seem really forceful. Like he doesn't really care either way. At least, that's the feeling I get from that. Especially since that's the only one regarding checks

It's not forceful at all. Full quote is:

quote:

“I think it would be better if they had the $1,200 [payments to families],” Biden said when asked at a press conference to respond to criticism about a new Covid relief plan revealed this week as a starting point for the latest round of negotiations on Capitol Hill.

Biden added: “And I understand that may be still in play. But, I’m not going to comment on the specific details. The whole purpose of this is, we’ve got to make sure people aren’t thrown out of their apartments, lose their homes, are able to have unemployment insurance [that] they can continue to feed their families on as we grow back the economy.”

If he wants the checks he's playing it real close to his chest. Found another vid from the 12th where he talks about his first 100 days and all he talks about there is vaccine distribution, a mask mandate, and reopening schools. Harris, who had called for $2k/month payments prior to getting the VP nod, seems to be equally quiet on the concept of checks. It seems odd that Biden doesn't appear involved in the negotiations, even as someone advocating from outside, given that he's going to be president in a month.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Chuck Schumer just came out to support Bernie's amendment to issue the $1200 checks

Schumer pushing for that and $50k student loan forgiveness has been pleasantly surprising and has given me hope that something might happen, at least if the Dems take the Senate. Biden can't pretend that he hasn't heard these things if it's Schumer saying it. Hopefully Schumer doesn't change his tune if he actually gets to be majority leader.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Also your second paragraph contradicts your second. Most of Trump's EOs survived judicial review, a fact only made evident by issuing it and letting the courts decide their merit. If Biden truly wants to reverse and make people whole, he'll have to issue EOs that will inevitably be challenged in the courts.

Most of Trump's EO's the last couple years were meaningless fluff that did not actually do anything designed only to make headlines, which is what he started issuing after he got sick and tired of being nationally humiliated by the courts. Very little of substance has survived review, and the last time he tried to do anything dramatic was the census thing.

It will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse whatever bad poo poo from Trump that has still survived.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Digging the graphic design aesthetic of low-budget forest rave flyer

ponzicar posted:

Are you guys 100% certain that this Space Force announcement isn't some sort of a joke?

Obviously it is, it just also appears to be real.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 19, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Rigel posted:

Most of Trump's EO's the last couple years were meaningless fluff that did not actually do anything designed only to make headlines, which is what he started issuing after he got sick and tired of being nationally humiliated by the courts. Very little of substance has survived review, and the last time he tried to do anything dramatic was the census thing.

It will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse whatever bad poo poo from Trump that has still survived.

I assume that poster was confused about agency policy directives, of which trump issued a fuckton, and EOs (of which trump issued comparatively few of and many were not even actionable orders). Most of what trump and co did was by simply changing procedural stuff in major agencies and by cancelling directives that either were tied to obama or accomplished anything progressive at all. Of particular note, trump's admin focused heavily on eliminating any agency policy that provided lgbtq protections at any level. Environmental protections and epa enforcement mechanisms were also primary targets of his administration.

As to specifically EOs, Trump issued substantially fewer EOs than any other recent president.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 19, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

A) What the gently caress are they Guarding against?! :psylon:

B) What kind of slogan is this?

https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1340054057357074432?s=19

rko
Jul 12, 2017

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Schumer pushing for that and $50k student loan forgiveness has been pleasantly surprising and has given me hope that something might happen, at least if the Dems take the Senate. Biden can't pretend that he hasn't heard these things if it's Schumer saying it. Hopefully Schumer doesn't change his tune if he actually gets to be majority leader.

I’m surprised you’d humor this effort by Schumer, who knows as well as anyone that he’s an ancient weirdo who lives in the same state as the most prominent American politician under the age of 40 (and who might actually activate a lot of those non-voters I talked about in my effortpost that ended up at the bottom of last page).

It’s also a bit sad that Biden’s much lower bar made Schumer’s proposal seem so generous, but $50k is still insufficient to handle the problem of student loan debt. I’ll believe Schumer’s doing more than cynical messaging if he pushes for it when it could conceivably be passed by Congress. Otherwise, and based on the behavior of his allies in the party leadership, my main assumption is he’s looking to guard his left flank in 2022.

I’d say that Schumer is doing a big-brained play here, purposefully setting an upper limit on debate by making it seem higher than what even the president is proposing and therefore the “progressive” position, but he’s a man who serves imaginary friends as his primary constituents so I probably shouldn’t make big assumptions about the chess dimension he’s working in.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Robviously posted:

A) What the gently caress are they Guarding against?! :psylon:

B) What kind of slogan is this?

https://twitter.com/SpaceForceDoD/status/1340054057357074432?s=19

They are fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by day light, they're always ready for a real fight, they are the ones known as Space Force.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
What the gently caress do heritage and culture have to do with space? In addition to tainting the Destiny universe, they're apparently plagiarizing white nationalist propaganda?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ImpAtom posted:

They are fighting evil by moonlight, winning love by day light, they're always ready for a real fight, they are the ones known as Space Force.

You guys are making fun of them, but when the aliens come you'll be sorry if they don't get the funding they need!

It really would be proof that I'm in a coma if it turns out aliens do come in peace and the Space Force blows up their ships.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a little bit taller
I wish I was a baller
I wish I had a wookie in a hat with a bat
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost
Goon-pool for the opportunity? Maybe let Stormy Daniels push the button?

Seriously though, they’re gonna raise a shitload of cash for the Boys & Girls Club.

https://twitter.com/npr/status/1339711226834808835?s=21

generic one fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 19, 2020

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ponzicar posted:

What the gently caress do heritage and culture have to do with space? In addition to tainting the Destiny universe, they're apparently plagiarizing white nationalist propaganda?
Yeah that's a big ol yikes from me with all the HERITAGE NOT SPACE HATE they're winking at

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

As commander-in-chief, will Biden have the power to disband Space Force? Or can he at least reabsorb space-related military things back into the Air Force and assign all Space Force personnel to something else entirely?

The whole concept of Space Force irks me, and doubly so that it is an "accomplishment" of Trump's that may last. Destroy it in its crib, I say.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I assume that poster was confused about agency policy directives, of which trump issued a fuckton, and EOs (of which trump issued comparatively few of and many were not even actionable orders). Most of what trump and co did was by simply changing procedural stuff in major agencies and by cancelling directives that either were tied to obama or accomplished anything progressive at all. Of particular note, trump's admin focused heavily on eliminating any agency policy that provided lgbtq protections at any level. Environmental protections and epa enforcement mechanisms were also primary targets of his administration.

As to specifically EOs, Trump issued substantially fewer EOs than any other recent president.

This was weird to me, and I have a couple theories depending on how cynical I feel that day:

1. Trump signed some early ones back when no one in his incompetent administration knew how to draft one that would withstand legal scrutiny, and this made Trump gunshy about them because he didn't want to look a fool; or,
2. Trump signed some early ones back when no one in his incompetent administration knew how to draft one that would withstand legal scrutiny, and they never figured out how so they sort of stopped trying; or,
3. Trump signed some early ones back when no one in his incompetent administration knew how to draft one that would withstand legal scrutiny, but ultimately his handlers realized what was most useful is if the federal government basically stopped doing anything competently ever

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Inferior Third Season posted:

As commander-in-chief, will Biden have the power to disband Space Force? Or can he at least reabsorb space-related military things back into the Air Force and assign all Space Force personnel to something else entirely?

The whole concept of Space Force irks me, and doubly so that it is an "accomplishment" of Trump's that may last. Destroy it in its crib, I say.

Space Force was just a separation of forces and command that already existed. It's not a terrible idea, just terribly executed.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Yes, that is a more substantial problem that is going to require competent appointees who are willing to learn their new departments, get up to speed with the career bureaucrats, and work hard. Its not really a Biden thing, its more of a job for his cabinet and their deputies. Competence is going to be more important for this particular cabinet than it probably was in the prior few administrations or will be in the next few administrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Rigel posted:

Yes, that is a more substantial problem that is going to require competent appointees who are willing to learn their new departments, get up to speed with the career bureaucrats, and work hard. Its not really a Biden thing, its more of a job for his cabinet and their deputies. Competence is going to be more important for this particular cabinet than it probably was in the prior few administrations or will be in the next few administrations.

Now I'm home to repost that WaPo article (for academic reasons)!

quote:

Thick packets have been delivered regularly to President-elect Joe Biden’s Wilmington, Del., home, providing meticulous details on each potential Cabinet member’s strengths, weaknesses and possible areas of conflict. Biden has been conducting virtual interviews with final candidates, focusing on their values and life stories nearly as much as their approach to the departments they would lead.

He has made Vice President-elect Kamala D. Harris perhaps his closest partner in the Cabinet-selection effort; she has interviewed each candidate separately and traded notes with Biden afterward in what people close to the transition say has been an important step in deepening their working relationship.

Biden’s transition — which began months before the election results were known — is providing the first portrait, if one largely conducted behind the scenes, of his style as a manager and decision-maker in chief.

From the outside, advocates, groups and members of Congress can find his process cryptic and unpredictable as they attempt to discern which directions Biden and his small core of advisers are leaning, only to find out that he has abruptly switched course. Some nominations have been rushed much quicker than expected, while other decisions have lingered, creating some frustration even among allies. Proponents of demographic and ideological diversity have complained that he has vested too much power in more moderate White officials like himself.

But Biden, in what was a defining feature of his campaign, has largely shrugged off the criticism, confident in his own approach to what he sees as a gut-check decision-making process. Lately he has become more animated in defending some of the choices that his internal deliberations have yielded, urging those on the outside to take his full Cabinet into consideration.

“This Cabinet will be the most representative of any Cabinet in American history,” Biden said Wednesday while introducing Pete Buttigieg, who would be the first openly gay Cabinet secretary, as his nominee to run the Transportation Department. “We’ll have a Cabinet of barrier breakers, a Cabinet of firsts.”

The formation of the Biden Cabinet began much earlier and has been far more comprehensively planned than previously known, according to multiple people close to the effort who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Biden instructed transition officials months ago that he wanted a range of options for jobs available in his administration. By Election Day, the transition had built a database of 9,000 potential administration hires. Some 2,500 had already been vetted — half of whom were people of color and more than half of whom were women. That database now has more than 45,000 entries.

Inside the transition, officials say they have tried to exceed the Rooney Rule — the NFL requirement that teams interview at least one minority candidate for every head coaching and high-level job — so that more would have an opportunity to be considered, according to several people involved with the transition. That has not stopped criticism of his eventual selections, particularly for the highest-profile roles.

Biden prefers to work from paper: His transition team has so far sent him more than 130 detailed background memos on the candidates.

“The Biden transition team is the most organized, best resourced and most effective transition team ever,” said David Marchick, director of the nonpartisan Center for Presidential Transition, who has worked for months with Trump and Biden transition officials. “Future transition teams, Republican and Democratic will be studying their model. They’re just wickedly organized.”

Four years ago, President Trump’s transition provided an early indication of how Trump would conduct his presidency. Potential nominees were paraded into Trump Tower or to his golf course in Bedminster to shake hands before television cameras. Trump and Mitt Romney, then a possible secretary of state, dined on frog legs at Jean-Georges in Manhattan.

Chris Christie, then governor of New Jersey, had set up a vetting process, a detailed schedule and 30 volumes of transition documents in the months before the election, only to get pushed out along with his plans just days after Trump’s victory. In many cases, Trump, a relative political newcomer, settled on nominees with whom he had little relationship but whom he thought looked the part.

In part because of health protocols, but also by design, Biden’s opening efforts to form his administration could not be more different.

During his interactions with potential Cabinet members, which have been mostly virtual until the formal announcements, he is rarely confrontational, and more often casually breaks the ice. During a video call with homeland security candidate Alejandro Mayorkas, the former Obama administration official stumbled over how to address the president-elect.

“Just call me Joe,” Biden eventually said, by Mayorkas’s account.

While Harris’s role is still undefined and the her imprint on the choices of the nominees is so far unapparent, she has been involved in almost every discussion as Biden makes decisions on his administration, according to people involved in the process.

“She is the first and last in the room. He is asking her input and her feedback,” said a person involved in the transition. “That’s the partnership Biden had with Obama, and as Harris wanted with Biden . . . He wants her feedback.”

The discussions about Cabinet picks and other high-profile posts are kept to a very small circle, with Harris and Biden joined by incoming chief of staff Ron Klain and just a handful of others. The mood veers from light banter — with joking laments from Biden about how he fractured his foot playing with one of his dogs — to the severity of the economic and health crises his administration will confront.

“He gave us all the following advice: These are tough jobs, make sure you take care of yourself and your family,” Mayorkas said.

Former senator Chris Dodd (D-Conn.), who helped lead Biden’s similar vice-presidential search process, said Biden’s management style is one of “a collaborator.”

“He likes to talk things out,” Dodd said. “He’s not averse at all to people expressing alternative views. It’s a very healthy approach. He’s not insular in any way.”

While Biden has a soft spot for hiring people he knows and has long worked with, he likes to have a wide range of options.

“With the vice-presidential selection process, I had assumed we’d narrow candidates down to two or three people,” Dodd said. “Joe wanted to see a lot. He really wanted more of an opportunity to meet with and talk to folks. It was like six, seven, eight people. I was sort of surprised.”

The transition team examined each agency and looked at how it had been run historically and which model of leadership was most successful — a chief executive, or a budget expert, or someone who looked through a regulatory lens. Candidates were judged by how best they fit the model the transition team decided on for each job, and those options were presented to the president-elect.

In most of his picks, Biden has valued expertise — not necessarily in particular subject areas but in crisis management. In his view, his administration is inheriting a multipronged crisis, and a government workforce that has spent four years being disparaged and downplayed. That is why many of his appointments have extensive government service, those close to the decision-making say.

That instinct, however, has led to some unusual picks that have baffled outside groups that closely follow each department. Xavier Becerra, the California attorney general, has little background running a health care agency but has been nominated as secretary of health and human services. Denis McDonough, a former chief of staff to President Obama, was chosen to lead the Department of Veterans Affairs despite never serving in uniform.

In both cases, the perception of their general abilities overrode outside concerns about their expertise in those specific areas.

Biden has always been one who stews over difficult decisions, letting them linger and growing agitated with those who try to rush him. Deciding whether to run for president, including the most recent of his three campaigns, was a process that stretched later than advisers wanted, as he ruminated over the possibilities in front of him before making a final decision.

His advisers describe a decision-making and hiring approach that resembles the playing of an accordion, starting wide and then narrowing — and then, sometimes suddenly, expanding once more.

Becerra was initially not a top candidate for HHS, but then suddenly was filling out paperwork to be vetted late in the process. Retired Army Gen. Lloyd Austin was not considered a top pick for secretary of defense until shortly before Biden announced his nomination, causing his team to scramble to line up support and catching key Democratic senators off guard.

The quest for an attorney general nominee appeared to have narrowed in recent days, but advisers then began floating the name of New York Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo, according to two people close to the process, even though he has repeatedly denied interest in the job and Biden has been primarily focused on a trio of other candidates.

Biden views his decision-making as taking into account broad amounts of information and then relying on his gut — and what he considers to be his forte, homing in on what is politically possible.

“I measure what happens, how the leaders that I’ve served with based on . . . whether their judgment about what to do comes from their gut or their head,” he said earlier this year during a virtual roundtable to discuss on rural issues in Wisconsin.

“I trust people who start with their gut,” he added. “And they have had a head bright enough to know what to do about that gut feeling. People who arrive at it purely from intellectual standpoint, they’re not always ones that can be counted on to stay through at the very end when it gets really tough … It starts here in the gut, and it moves to the head.”

Those who have worked with Biden say that he trusts his instincts even when they run counter to the advice he is given.

“He’ll be the first to tell you, ‘I have better political instincts than all of you,’ ” said one adviser. “He wants the recommendations. He will hear varied perspectives, and he wants people to present their case. But at the end of the day he listens to his gut. If everybody is like, ‘Sir we have to go right,’ and he says, ‘My gut says we have to go left,’ he’s going to give his gut a lot of weight.”

Harris and Biden, who receive the same packets of information on potential appointees, ask numerous follow-up questions in their interviews, at times evaluating two candidates against one another or trying to determine whether a substantive difference between Biden’s position and those of the potential nominees is a disqualifier.

Becerra, for example, has long been a proponent of Medicare-for-all, the health care plan Biden campaigned against, favoring expansion of Obamacare. But those differences were not deemed not a big enough problem to thwart his nomination.

Most of Biden’s choices so far are aligned with his views — and, in many cases, have helped shape his views over the decades. His nominee for secretary of state, Tony Blinken, is one of Biden’s longest-serving foreign policy advisers, helping craft lines that Biden still quotes to this day. Klain, the chief of staff, was Biden’s chief of staff as vice president.

Biden’s virtual sessions have at times been folksy and conversational, much as he appears in public. If a dog barks during a presentation, he defuses the tension by laughing about it. If a staff member’s children walk into the screen, he’ll engage them in conversation.

“Biden understands it’s so much bigger than him,” said Rep. Cedric L. Richmond (D-La.), whom Biden has named as senior adviser and director of the White House Office of Public Engagement. “He’s not caught up on title and he’s not caught up on what people call him in the interview. . . . Trump is erratic and it’s all about Trump. If you do anything to take attention away from him, he acts like a child. Biden does not seek or crave attention.”

But, publicly and privately, he does like to talk.

“When I first sat down with Joe Biden, it was like I had known this man for 10 years. I didn’t know him at all,” said one person who has interviewed with Biden in the past. “But by the end, he’s offering his cellphone number and making jokes and talking about family. That’s just who Joe Biden is.”

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Space Force was just a separation of forces and command that already existed. It's not a terrible idea, just terribly executed.

Realistically, they should just re-brand it with a boring name that isn’t highly mockable. It would be the same thing as killing it in Trump’s mind.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

generic one posted:

Realistically, they should just re-brand it with a boring name that isn’t highly mockable. It would be the same thing as killing it in Trump’s mind.
Seriously yeah. I don't really care if they decide to have an organization like that, but can we change the name that sounds like it was picked by a child?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

rko posted:

I’m surprised you’d humor this effort by Schumer, who knows as well as anyone that he’s an ancient weirdo who lives in the same state as the most prominent American politician under the age of 40 (and who might actually activate a lot of those non-voters I talked about in my effortpost that ended up at the bottom of last page).

It’s also a bit sad that Biden’s much lower bar made Schumer’s proposal seem so generous, but $50k is still insufficient to handle the problem of student loan debt. I’ll believe Schumer’s doing more than cynical messaging if he pushes for it when it could conceivably be passed by Congress. Otherwise, and based on the behavior of his allies in the party leadership, my main assumption is he’s looking to guard his left flank in 2022.

I’d say that Schumer is doing a big-brained play here, purposefully setting an upper limit on debate by making it seem higher than what even the president is proposing and therefore the “progressive” position, but he’s a man who serves imaginary friends as his primary constituents so I probably shouldn’t make big assumptions about the chess dimension he’s working in.

Without being pressured I would expect Biden to go with no checks and zero student loan forgiveness, so if Schumer's statements actually transform into action I'll consider it a mild victory at least. If nothing else it's good to see someone in leadership getting nervous and feeling a need to reach out to the left, even if it is pushing more restrained policy than what I would like to see. Of course we should still replace every one of these people with someone better, regardless of what scraps they toss us.

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

generic one posted:

If I was Joe I would do everything in my power to make sure Donald isn't credited for anything.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Payndz posted:

What, "guardians"? As in "of the galaxy"? Fuuuuuuuck.

I really want to know which rear end in a top hat decided it would be a good idea to show Dipshit Star Wars or Guardians of the Galaxy that put the stupid Space Force idea in his head.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rigel posted:

Don't know where to start here. First of all Trump's EO orders were immensely impactful. They banned a good section of the world from immigrating to the US. He turned the naturalization and greencard process into a joke, tripling the prosecution of immigrants while cutting support for the immigrant courts, essentially denying asylum to, again, a large percentage of the world sanctuary. Those hundreds of kids he kidnapped? Guess what theyre now with foster families that under the rules he's promulgated have a good chance to stay permanently away from their original parents. He's infected a quarter of a million people with coronavirus because one of his orders said they had to reside in ICE detention center.

I can go on. So what's your point? Ah yes, putting aside immense harm his EO orders have done, he's promulgated hundreds of them, at a rate never seen before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump

Here's the thing, the majority of them survived judicial scrutiny.

Taking money appropriated to DoD to build the wall? Survived judicial scrutiny. Kicking thousands of TPS children and their famolies back to El Salvador and Haiti? The courts just recently lifted the injunction against that.

And I'm not even talking about the immense damage executive agencies like CPB have wrought against immigrants...

The good thing is that alot of this is reversible. Biden could step in to stop alot of TPS from being ejected back into dangerous and unsafe countries.

But it needs an executive willing to act and see the scope of the problem, doing whatever is needed to solve it.

I have no idea where your blitheness comes from. Its astonishing to me. And it's an attitude that does not help, at all.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

generic one posted:

Would going beyond just rebranding it and just doing a full re-sort the responsibilities and deleting the extra chair be a terrible idea?

I kinda would like that more than worrying about spending money on tearing down the wall (just decriminalize loving with it).

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Looked around a bit but the last statement I could find was from two weeks ago. He said he would prefer a bill that had the checks, but I don't see any statements since. Here's an ad he cut for the Georgia senate races where he talks about a COVID relief bill:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1339685802956255242?s=20

Mentioned in the ad are free vaccinations, funding a public health response, and helping small businesses. No mention of direct payments. He ends his ad focused on public health by saying "may god protect our troops."

Doesn’t Georgia have stupid high number of vets?

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
We are literally going to have a space force like the marines from Starcraft. Just a bunch of racist rednecks chugging beers and talking like Forrest Gump while an alien tears their throats out.

generic one
Oct 2, 2004

I wish I was a baller
And a six four Impala

Nap Ghost

Gerund posted:

Would going beyond just rebranding it and just doing a full re-sort the responsibilities and deleting the extra chair be a terrible idea?

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea at all. I mean, it makes sense for all that to roll up under one chain of command, but you could probably do that just by having it fall under the Air Force umbrella, where most of the responsibilities were before.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Ringo Star Get posted:

We are literally going to have a space force like the marines from Starcraft. Just a bunch of racist rednecks chugging beers and talking like Forrest Gump while an alien tears their throats out.

Weren't the rednecks socialists originally?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Shageletic posted:

Don't know where to start here. First of all Trump's EO orders were immensely impactful. They banned a good section of the world from immigrating to the US.

He can do that. Well, there was a hiccup in court where he started out by drawing up his list of banned countries in a nakedly discriminatory way, but he absolutely can do that, because our laws say he can. Our laws presume the president will not be an unhinged racist imbecile and give him wide latitude to restrict immigration for national security reasons. When we are talking about legally dubious EO's, this isn't one of them.

Here's the thing though: this policy will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse. This position you seem to have where Trump EO's are going to be difficult to reverse and/or require prevailing in court is just not true.

Shageletic posted:

He turned the naturalization and greencard process into a joke, tripling the prosecution of immigrants while cutting support for the immigrant courts, essentially denying asylum to, again, a large percentage of the world sanctuary.

He can do that. When it comes to immigration where I guess your focus is re: Trump EO's, congress has delegated a huge amount of decisions to the president. Perhaps future congresses will stop presuming the president will not be a racist moron and will put restrictions on the president's discretion in our immigration law.

This policy will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse.

Shageletic posted:

Those hundreds of kids he kidnapped? Guess what theyre now with foster families that under the rules he's promulgated have a good chance to stay permanently away from their original parents. He's infected a quarter of a million people with coronavirus because one of his orders said they had to reside in ICE detention center.

Department policy and rules as discussed in posts above, not really based on Trump EO's. Department policy and procedure will take more effort to reform, as will reversing the damage already done.

Shageletic posted:

I can go on. So what's your point? Ah yes, putting aside immense harm his EO orders have done, he's promulgated hundreds of them, at a rate never seen before: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_executive_actions_by_Donald_Trump

Here's the thing, the majority of them survived judicial scrutiny.

The majority of his EO's are silly meaningless fluff that was only designed to make headlines, especially in the last couple years. He started issuing toothless EO's that did nothing after he got sick of being smacked around and humiliated by courts in his first year.

Shageletic posted:

Taking money appropriated to DoD to build the wall? Survived judicial scrutiny. Kicking thousands of TPS children and their famolies back to El Salvador and Haiti? The courts just recently lifted the injunction against that.

OK? The courts deferred to Trump's argument on diverting a few billion dollars ostensibly to fight drug trafficking as a legit use of national defense money. Congress is now responding by giving future presidents less flexibility to divert defense funds in the new budget. So what, Biden is not somehow bound to continue spending money on new walls in perpetuity.

I think we should also distinguish between "normal" EO's where congress gave the president discretion to act based on future facts, and the mechanism by which he is supposed to use this discretion is a EO..... and wildly abnormal EO's like "I think every census since the beginning of the republic were all done incorrectly, and I think the constitution requires eliminating illegal aliens". It is the latter variety we are primarily focused on, and those have not been very successful.

Shageletic posted:

And I'm not even talking about the immense damage executive agencies like CPB have wrought against immigrants...

Not executive orders. Racist assholes won the election and were appointed to run the CPB. They didn't really even have to twist the law because our law as written is pretty loving harsh.

Shageletic posted:

The good thing is that alot of this is reversible. Biden could step in to stop alot of TPS from being ejected back into dangerous and unsafe countries.

But it needs an executive willing to act and see the scope of the problem, doing whatever is needed to solve it.

I have no idea where your blitheness comes from. Its astonishing to me. And it's an attitude that does not help, at all.

Not really. Reversing Trump executive orders do not require a tremendous amount of effort or political courage. It is trivially easy to do. Reagan reversed a lot of last-minute Carter EO's, and presidents have followed suit ever since whenever their party takes back the white house.

As someone else mentioned, you may be confusing executive orders with something else.

Rigel fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2020

rko
Jul 12, 2017
e: can’t help but feel like you’re aggressively missing the point in pursuit of a very stupid bit of pedantry Rigel, but by all means please enjoy your Friday however you please.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Seriously yeah. I don't really care if they decide to have an organization like that, but can we change the name that sounds like it was picked by a child?

Isn’t increasing the militarization (and privatization) of space a profoundly bad idea, especially when it’s being driven by the world’s sole imperial superpower and their gigantic military?

And the name is the problem?

(It does suck tho, all of the branding and iconography around it fuckin sucks poo poo)

rko fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Dec 19, 2020

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Pick posted:

Now I'm home to repost that WaPo article (for academic reasons)!

"In most of his picks, Biden has valued expertise — not necessarily in particular subject areas but in crisis management. In his view, his administration is inheriting a multipronged crisis, and a government workforce that has spent four years being disparaged and downplayed. That is why many of his appointments have extensive government service, those close to the decision-making say."

This makes a lot of sense for most of his picks (but Mayor Pete lol)

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The space force is now in the budget and can not be easily scrapped. The creation of a new organization in DoD was also bipartisan, and Trump just took it and put his dumbass embarrassing "Space Force full of Guardians" branding on it. Hopefully we'll start calling it something else in the future.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Medullah posted:

You guys are making fun of them, but when the aliens come you'll be sorry if they don't get the funding they need!

It really would be proof that I'm in a coma if it turns out aliens do come in peace and the Space Force blows up their ships.

The good news is, any interstellar ship has to be able to deal with debris at near or faster-than-light speeds. So they pretty much have to have point defense systems for that which would have a cakewalk swatting down every single nuke we could launch.

And then hopefully they laugh at us and leave, with a space-warning buoy marking us as idiots. Or in true 2020 fashion they glass us in an instant with their engines as they fly away.

rko posted:

Isn’t increasing the militarization (and privatization) of space a profoundly bad idea, especially when it’s being driven by the world’s sole imperial superpower and their gigantic military?

As much as we should avoid militarizing space for as long as possible, history has shown that any region rich in resources creates exploitation of said resources, followed by colonization in some form. And colonization pretty universally leads to conflict.

Space will be privatized, nationalized and militarized, it's only a question of when. The sole exception being if we glass ourselves before that can happen.

Orthanc6 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Dec 19, 2020

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Orthanc6 posted:

The good news is, any interstellar ship has to be able to deal with debris at near or faster-than-light speeds. So they pretty much have to have point defense systems for that which would have a cakewalk swatting down every single nuke we could launch.

And then hopefully they laugh at us and leave, with a space-warning buoy marking us as idiots. Or in true 2020 fashion they glass us in an instant with their engines as they fly away.

Someone has not done their research, you disable their defenses with the power of a Mac then nuke them.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rigel posted:

He can do that. Well, there was a hiccup in court where he started out by drawing up his list of banned countries in a nakedly discriminatory way, but he absolutely can do that, because our laws say he can. Our laws presume the president will not be an unhinged racist imbecile and give him wide latitude to restrict immigration for national security reasons. When we are talking about legally dubious EO's, this isn't one of them.

Here's the thing though: this policy will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse. This position you seem to have where Trump EO's are going to be difficult to reverse and/or require prevailing in court is just not true.

He can do that. When it comes to immigration where I guess your focus is re: Trump EO's, congress has delegated a huge amount of decisions to the president. Perhaps future congresses will stop presuming the president will not be a racist moron and will put restrictions on the president's discretion in our immigration law.

This policy will be trivially easy for Biden to reverse.

Department policy and rules as discussed in posts above, not really based on Trump EO's. Department policy and procedure will take more effort to reform, as will reversing the damage already done.

The majority of his EO's are silly meaningless fluff that was only designed to make headlines, especially in the last couple years. He started issuing toothless EO's that did nothing after he got sick of being smacked around and humiliated by courts in his first year.

OK? The courts deferred to Trump's argument on diverting a few billion dollars ostensibly to fight drug trafficking as a legit use of national defense money. Congress is now responding by giving future presidents less flexibility to divert defense funds in the new budget. So what, Biden is not somehow bound to continue spending money on new walls in perpetuity.

I think we should also distinguish between "normal" EO's where congress gave the president discretion to act based on future facts, and the mechanism by which he is supposed to use this discretion is a EO..... and wildly abnormal EO's like "I think every census since the beginning of the republic were all done incorrectly, and I think the constitution requires eliminating illegal aliens". It is the latter variety we are primarily focused on, and those have not been very successful.

Not executive orders. Racist assholes won the election and were appointed to run the CPB. They didn't really even have to twist the law because our law as written is pretty loving harsh.

Not really. Reversing Trump executive orders do not require a tremendous amount of effort or political courage. It is trivially easy to do. Reagan reversed a lot of last-minute Carter EO's, and presidents have followed suit ever since whenever their party takes back the white house.

As someone else mentioned, you may be confusing executive orders with something else.

You started this conversation with saying "very little of substance" of Trump's EO's survived scrutiny. Guess what, you're competely wrong about that. The majority of Trump's EO's survived scrutiny.

And about the easy reversibility of Trump's EOs when it comes to immigration...there are 400 of them. And there is already pressure on Biden to keep most of them intact, aka migrant camps in Mexico and a purposefully bottled prosecutorial approach to asylum seekers: https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/12/02/biden-trump-immigration-policy/?arc404=true

Every presidential administration has built on, and not demolished, an increasingly punitive approach to immigration.

You're wrong on the substance of your post regarding EOs surviving judicial scrutiny, your wrong about the impact its had, and you're wrong about the ease on which it will be reversed without significant pressure on the Biden admin.

And I'm left wondering why you're so eager to downplay the effects of Trump's EOs and what it will take to reverse them. Its such a horrible issue that a shrugging attitide of who cares comes off as sociopathic.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
e wrong thread

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Orthanc6 posted:

As much as we should avoid militarizing space for as long as possible, history has shown that any region rich in resources creates exploitation of said resources, followed by colonization in some form. And colonization pretty universally leads to conflict.

Space will be privatized, nationalized and militarized, it's only a question of when. The sole exception being if we glass ourselves before that can happen.

The economics of space resources are weird and can't really be compared to what we have experienced in the past with colonization. As soon as you leave the earth you realize almost every single element is so common in space the only rare thing is life which can only be found on earth. So much gold, platinum, rare earth materials they will be practically worthless. I don't know how it will go in the future I am not super optimistic we will get that far as a species. I suppose it could always go like how diamonds are on earth plentiful and artificially inflated in value but really kind of worthless.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Orthanc6 posted:

The good news is, any interstellar ship has to be able to deal with debris at near or faster-than-light speeds.

uuuuuh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

ImpAtom posted:

:five: