Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

MomJeans420 posted:

IF you could have something like Intel's SGX and have it be secure, you could switch from cryptocurrencies based on proof of work to ones based on proof of elapsed time and the power usage would be minimal. However, the financial incentive to find those bugs would be huge, and Intel hasn't been kicking rear end on security recently (which is admittedly very hard).

Intel isn't kicking rear end because they got lazy. No seriously, they knew about the flaws, but the goal was to outdo AMD on IOPS to maintain edge in the market, so they willingly overlooked blatant flaws to gain that advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CommieGIR posted:

there is no real consequence for under-reporting your emissions.

:thermidor:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

That should be the consequence, but here we are:

https://twitter.com/Atomicrod/status/1337330549824909312?s=20

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

How much energy can you reasonably recover from an exhaust gas energy recovery unit as say a percentage of what a HFO fueled reciprocating generator puts out?

It turns out our islanded powerstation has an EGER on each of the stacks of our six 3.4 WM HFO fueled MAKs. The recovered heat is currently used to heat the HFO tanks and heat tracing the HFO lines but seems to only use a fraction of the heat (we can keep the fuel heated with only two underloaded MAKs online during plant shutdowns and normally run four when at full production). I am thinking it maybe worthwhile to install a boiler and turbine generator on the heat recovery to save some HFO costs (currently around USD13.5M/yr) and reduce emissions.

We are going to hit up consultants but what do Goonsultants think?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Probably a fair bit, depending on how you set it up?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Combined cycle retrofits certainly exist, but the cost of engineering (and supporting) a custom solution for what is probably an old plant is probably prohibitive compared to buying an off-the-shelf combined cycle combustion turbine system from one of the usual suspects.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MrYenko posted:

Combined cycle retrofits certainly exist, but the cost of engineering (and supporting) a custom solution for what is probably an old plant is probably prohibitive compared to buying an off-the-shelf combined cycle combustion turbine system from one of the usual suspects.

The power station was commissioned last year, its all brand new.
E) I’ll dig up the specs of the heat recovery units tomorrow.

Electric Wrigglies fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2020

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
Bluewaters coal-fired power station written off as worthless as renewables rise

quote:

The owners of Australia's newest coal-fired power station have written down the value of the asset to zero, wiping out a $1.2 billion investment in the face of an onslaught of renewable energy.

In what a financial market analyst said was a "classic example" of changes predicted in the energy industry, Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo has written off its $250 million equity stake in the Bluewaters power plant in Western Australia's south-west.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Bluewaters is an interesting one because it was built because the WA government corporatized the WA power which one effect was eliminating the old policy of buying off the two coal mines in Colley evenly despite the prices. At corporatisation. Muja power station set up a tender for long term supply and both coal mines bid on a long term contracts. Bluewaters wouldn't drop their price so didn't even get a cut of the action. So instead of shutting down the coal mine, they built a powerstation with the hope of selling power to commercial customers. Unfortunately; Bluewaters, despite being a new coal plant, couldn't sell power as cheap as old Muja (with non-ESP flue gas treatment from the 60's because not everything was corportised - Muja got to keep government exemption from the governments own environmental legislation for a lot of things - source, my sister was an enviro there for a few years) so Bluewaters was generally underbid there as well.

Bit of an irony that one of the youngest (2009) coal plants in Aus is a chance to be retired before one of the oldest (1966).

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

what ever happened to your ~half-megawatt (?) battery quotes

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

MightyBigMinus posted:

Battery is still, right now an insanely expensive and won't give much in the way of actual returns. Still talking about batteries that have runtimes of 1-3 hours depending on load. That's not enough, and Australia is doing basically what Germany was doing, backing their Renewables with Fossil Fuel generation and doubling down in fossil mining/drilling.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

MightyBigMinus posted:

Somewhat overtaken by events in trying to sort out the electrical safety, SCADA/PLC/Instro issues due to incomplete construction and covid making hard work of all of it.

In slowly going through everything, the Exhaust Gas Energy Recovery (EGER) has gone from barely recovering enough heat to keep the HFO tanks heated to where only the heat of one or two generators is more than enough.
Additionally, as we get used to the VFDs we have on the two mills in the plant (historically I have only ever worked with mills that had Liquid Resistance Starters or Slip Energy Recovery), I am finding just how awesome it is to be able to slow down your the speed to 40% of full speed on a whim. It has given me the thought that rather than dropping breakers off - with significant process interruption, we can shed 40 - 50% of total site electrical load off the mills via slowing them down with the VFD - it might be good enough to eliminate the benefit of a battery but not sure if the SCADA/mill VFD can react quick enough to be effective load shedding.

Once the consulting propeller head electrical engineer can get onsite (was originally going to be onsite in March), I am keen that we look at the battery with pricing, look at sorting out load shedding (either being cute with VFDs or just breaker tripping), assess whether generating some electricity from the EGER is worth it as well as obviously continue sorting out the normal stuff like automation/SCADA and PLC completion /safety robustness / etc.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Well, I found the rather simple manual for our Heatmaster economisers. They are each rated for 600 kw (but assume the amount recoverable is much less than that from the HFO engine running @ 2 MW) and deliver a maximum oil temperature of 180 degrees. Not sure if that will be high enough temperature to be worth trying to run a steam generator/turbine.

Going to try to contact the OEM of the Heatmaster (out of Holland, apparently) if they can point me in the right direction of converting hot oil into electricity.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
DOE is funding new reactor design research

https://newatlas.com/energy/us-doe-advanced-nuclear-reactor-concepts/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Yeah they largely announced most of these a couple months back after the final awards, excited either way.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

won't someone think of the rich kids who had planned lucrative careers in the oil industry???

https://twitter.com/triofrancos/status/1345777914386788355

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

It depends, I disagree with the articles description of the positions as lucrative unless you consider something like $100k/y rich. That's just a typical upper-middle class income especially if you are living in urban areas.

The fallout from the Fossil Fuel Industry will be tough. It sucks to have worked on something all your life expect now all the sudden it's no longer necessary.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Gabriel S. posted:

It depends, I disagree with the articles description of the positions as lucrative unless you consider something like $100k/y rich. That's just a typical upper-middle class income especially if you are living in urban areas.

The fallout from the Fossil Fuel Industry will be tough. It sucks to have worked on something all your life expect now all the sudden it's no longer necessary.

Also, there are probably just going to have to wait 6-12 months anyway since demand for oil is on the upswing and there will probably be a bunch of new projects in the planning stages by mid-2021.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A lot of O&G engineers left for shore-based industry and utilities etc after the last downturn here in :norway:

Most of them don't want to go back to O&G, and I can't blame them.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

bawfuls posted:

won't someone think of the rich kids who had planned lucrative careers in the oil industry???

Anyone who gets in the oil industry at this point is a loving idiot. It's a complete boom and bust cycle at the best of times and there's mounting evidence that peak demand may have been reached.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Monaghan posted:

Anyone who gets in the oil industry at this point is a loving idiot. It's a complete boom and bust cycle at the best of times and there's mounting evidence that peak demand may have been reached.

Or is willing to join an industry that has been openly blatant about how little they give a gently caress about what they are doing to the environment, down to the point of bragging about ignoring their emissions and spending the last 40 years covering up the effect of fossil fuels on the climate.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

never attribute to stupidity that which is openly malicious

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

When I was in school for engineering (15ish years ago) it was common knowledge that you went into the petroleum industry to get paid, it was always listed as the best paying engineering discipline. We also all knew by then it was soulless destructive work hence the good compensation. These people were 100% signing up to do evil poo poo cause they expected to get paid well for it. gently caress em

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

I'm not in O&G but am confident that most petroleum/geotech/O&G professionals are not from rich backgrounds. For some, their olds would have been in the industry (and therefore doing quite well) but bankers are the large money rollers and you doubt you see them at isolated work school. Rich bankers daughters/sons don't do 12 hour minimum length hard yakka shifts for weeks at a go in some isolated part of the world. They go to MIT, get parachuted into the top of the organisation and have strong opinions on how others should work.

Isolated O&G work is something that pays well relative to your education and the high school you went to. You can clean? $100k/yr for you. You can manage something or are a competent engineer? You will be on $250k/yr. Another bonus about that field is unlike Medicine, it does not have a whole Union of gatekeepers actively doing their best to keep out people interested in the discipline.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gabriel S. posted:

unless you consider something like $100k/y rich.

please, please look at an income distribution curve once in a little while

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

evil_bunnY posted:

please, please look at an income distribution curve once in a little while

I have, have you?

They're only wealthy in the sense they're able to afford modern luxuries like modern homes, reliable transportation, medical services, education, developed communities. This is a good thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Gabriel S. posted:

I have, have you?

They're only wealthy in the sense they're able to afford modern luxuries like modern homes, reliable transportation, medical services, education, developed communities. This is a good thing.

Given how bad income disparity is in the US, that's pretty loving good.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

CommieGIR posted:

Given how bad income disparity is in the US, that's pretty loving good.

unless they can easily save enough to retire early and live off investments alone and thereby join the capitalist class, they can't reasonably be considered rich

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gabriel S. posted:

I have, have you?

I mean look at 100k I can only barely afford on my own income a brand new mcmansion, a 2020 (ugh, last year's model like a peasant!) BMW with 3,000 miles on it, a private college, and a gate infront of my community. Truly, I am barely surviving.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

I'm not in O&G but am confident that most petroleum/geotech/O&G professionals are not from rich backgrounds. For some, their olds would have been in the industry (and therefore doing quite well) but bankers are the large money rollers and you doubt you see them at isolated work school. Rich bankers daughters/sons don't do 12 hour minimum length hard yakka shifts for weeks at a go in some isolated part of the world. They go to MIT, get parachuted into the top of the organisation and have strong opinions on how others should work.

Isolated O&G work is something that pays well relative to your education and the high school you went to. You can clean? $100k/yr for you. You can manage something or are a competent engineer? You will be on $250k/yr. Another bonus about that field is unlike Medicine, it does not have a whole Union of gatekeepers actively doing their best to keep out people interested in the discipline.

Ehhhhh, cut your estimates on income by a little more than half for even somewhat skilled labor. Also janitorial workers are still gonna make $10/hr or less.

The guy who decided to pen an entire article about how you should pity the college educated types who are likely to earn at least above average income while tens of millions are unemployed is an absolute loving ghoul though. Jesus christ. Won't someone pity the MIT grad?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 5, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I mean look at 100k I can only barely afford on my own income a brand new mcmansion, a 2020 (ugh, last year's model like a peasant!) BMW with 3,000 miles on it, a private college, and a gate infront of my community. Truly, I am barely surviving.

Have you ever bothered do actually go through math?

Most of the folks are out of Dallas or Houston. A quick search shows the average rent is about $1,400. Average In-State Tuition for four-year STEM Degree will be around 60k in debt. $100k after taxes and 401k is going to leave you about $75k.

If you an actual McMansion in Houston, Dallas or suburb is about $500k and that probably won't get you a gated community.

They can't afford this. At all.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Marxalot posted:

The guy who decided to pen an entire article about how you should pity the college educated types who are likely to earn at least above average income while tens of millions are unemployed is an absolute loving ghoul though. Jesus christ. Won't someone pity the MIT grad?

Young people aren't known to make good decisions and honestly shouldn't be expected to do so. All of these people are in areas where Oil and Gas has been a employer for nearly a Century.

Those that are unemployed deserve help. So do these folks too.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gabriel S. posted:

Have you ever bothered do actually go through math?

Most of the folks are out of Dallas or Houston. A quick search shows the average rent is about $1,400. Average In-State Tuition for four-year STEM Degree will be around 60k in debt. $100k after taxes and 401k is going to leave you about $75k.

If you an actual McMansion in Houston, Dallas or suburb is about $500k and that probably won't get you a gated community.

They can't afford this. At all.

Gabriel S. posted:

Young people aren't known to make good decisions and honestly shouldn't be expected to do so. All of these people are in areas where Oil and Gas has been a employer for nearly a Century.

Those that are unemployed deserve help. So do these folks too.

I live in Houston and Dallas isn't the oil town you incredibly odd ghoul.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 5, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Marxalot posted:

I live in Houston and Dallas isn't the oil town you incredibly odd ghoul.

Is this a rebuttal? What exactly is your point?

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Gabriel S. posted:

Is this a rebuttal? What exactly is your point?

Literally everything you posted about the area is wrong unless you're one of the exceedingly bougie types who can only stomach living in an upscale condo within the loop, or out in Katy or whatever.

e: also in state tuition is about 5k a semester last I looked, though it's been a few years so lmao pouring out for one of these mythical fresh college grads making 100k a year who can only afford to pay 25k of it off a year

VVV pouring one out because you can't afford a mcmansion in literally the most expensive part of the Houston area on a mere 100k a year while still paying off the Benz

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jan 5, 2021

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Oh, so we're getting a McMasion outside the 610. I missed that as an earlier criteria. Looking at the schools listed, we have University of Austin Texas, University of Houston and Rice University. One of them is a graduate student. Houston is the cheapest at 4911.00 but the others are not especially for the graduate.

These people aren't going to rich. If they're lucky they'll live off of their investments during retirement.

For what it's worth, I always enjoyed Spring, TX. The Woodlands was nice but everyone was kind of a dick, pricey and way too easy to get lost.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 5, 2021

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

bawfuls posted:

Paywall, so I can't read it...

But isn't there basically a thing with major geology/earth science programs across the country where grants and funding for them have essentially been captured by both mineral and petro extraction firms? Like, since academia careers are a terrible crapshoot now, students are informally herded into these adjacent fields?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Paywall, so I can't read it...

But isn't there basically a thing with major geology/earth science programs across the country where grants and funding for them have essentially been captured by both mineral and petro extraction firms? Like, since academia careers are a terrible crapshoot now, students are informally herded into these adjacent fields?

Yes, geology departments are heavily farmed and influenced by the oil industry.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
It can both be true that phasing out Oil and Gas will cause real structural employment for a lot of people and that that is something that has to be dealt with, and that that soft focus profile of college kids outraged that there isn’t a Halliburton job waiting for them is ridiculous.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

Still Dismal posted:

It can both be true that phasing out Oil and Gas will cause real structural employment for a lot of people and that that is something that has to be dealt with, and that that soft focus profile of college kids outraged that there isn’t a Halliburton job waiting for them is ridiculous.

its also true that people making 50k and 250k have far more in common with each other than people who invest/own "for a living", and yet anytime you bring it up two goons will immediately engage in a stupid anecdote-off, no matter how dumb a derail it is for the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Looking up the rates of tuition and salaries of STEM majors. The math simply doesn't compute. That is no anecdote.

In other news,

https://twitter.com/racheladhe/status/1346505060428210176?s=20

Wow.

quote:

I couldn’t agree more. France is going to have to get their natural gas from somewhere, and wherever it is it’s going to cause more harm to the environment and geopolitics. France may get its natural gas from Iran, which has dangerous nuclear ambitions and has threatened to blow up Israel several times. Or they could turn to Russia who has dangerous ambitions and invaded Crimea just a couple years ago. Or they could look to the Middle East, a region not exactly well known for its respect of Western legal traditions.