Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

change my name posted:

Finally caved and got Cyberpunk, it looks really nice! Playing at 1440p on a 3060 ti at Nvidia's suggested settings (high with ray tracing on high, DLSS set to quality) and I'm at 50-60 fps. Still need to figure out what I need to tweak to hit a consistent 60+, though.

(I will say that DLSS is super noticeable even in character creation, though)

Try turning down the fog and cascading shadow settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Finally caved and got Cyberpunk, it looks really nice! Playing at 1440p on a 3060 ti at Nvidia's suggested settings (high with ray tracing on high, DLSS set to quality) and I'm at 50-60 fps. Still need to figure out what I need to tweak to hit a consistent 60+, though.

(I will say that DLSS is super noticeable even in character creation)

Turn on ONLY raytraced reflections and turn volumetric fog and clouds and shadow cascades to medium

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

change my name posted:

Honestly, DLSS is most noticeable during character creation, IMO (and mirrors).

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

DrDork posted:

Honestly, DLSS is most noticeable during character creation, IMO (and mirrors).

Oh yeah, the very first corpo scene is a blurry mess

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

how much is BTC price screwing with GPU demand at the moment?

like, has there been a time in the past two years where it was just as profitable to mine coins on a top end GPU, yet those GPUs were still easy to buy in stores?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

change my name posted:

Bathroom mirrors match internal resolution instead of DLSS reconstructions so be aware of that.

Lets see, DF had a setting video but the things you want for FPS boost I can think of is reducing ssr to low as there appears to be no visible change, SSAO also can be reduced to low for the same reason.

RT shadows off is also suggested because as nice as they are, they have less visual impact compared to the other RT effects and it will save you some FPS.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

pmchem posted:

how much is BTC price screwing with GPU demand at the moment?

like, has there been a time in the past two years where it was just as profitable to mine coins on a top end GPU, yet those GPUs were still easy to buy in stores?

In the US, at least, minimally--crypto prices have been poo poo until quite recently. It's been technically profitable to mine for a long time, but at the rate of like $1/day so no one bothered; hence why no one was worried about not being able to buy a 2080(S) thanks to crypto. Even at $3/day profit a 3080 FE takes over 230 days to hit even, so it's not an enormously attractive investment.

If you're looking to make money off 3080's, the answer right now is to never take them out of the box and just flip them for $250+ profit immediately.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
I've been playing 1440p 120hz with VRR for a while on my LG C9 without problems on an older cable. I got a new cable that can do 4k 120hz in HDR but it still can't do VRR/G-sync with 4K or HDR. It just results in either no signal or a quarter of the screen being a black column.

It seems to handle 4K 120hz at 4:4:4 chroma subsampling just fine and I played some Doom Eternal with HDR with no problems. So is the version 04.80.03 firmware to blame or can it be the cable?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

The oddest RT glitch in CP2077 occurs in-vehicle with everything looking blown out and NPC eyes bugging out. Given all the issues with the game, it didn’t even occur to me as an RT issue until I played around with the settings.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I think it is more of a tone mapping issue exacerbated by rt. Rt makes car interiors more realisticly dark and the game tries to boost exposure through the roof.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37166/hotfix-1-05

quote:

Ray traced reflections should no longer seem too bright in comparison to the environment.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

thank god, this is one thing i've been noticing that really degrades what would otherwise be a really nice effect

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

In the US, at least, minimally--crypto prices have been poo poo until quite recently. It's been technically profitable to mine for a long time, but at the rate of like $1/day so no one bothered; hence why no one was worried about not being able to buy a 2080(S) thanks to crypto. Even at $3/day profit a 3080 FE takes over 230 days to hit even, so it's not an enormously attractive investment.

If you're looking to make money off 3080's, the answer right now is to never take them out of the box and just flip them for $250+ profit immediately.

Not looking to make money, more concerned about ever being able to loving buy one.

Wondering if BTC or ETH price is gonna cripple availability for the next half year

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

That started happening for me earlier this week and it looks real bad. I'm on a 3090. I'm excited for this patch.

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/1662356314685464696/2D0FC5ECBFB152DB3BDA80C03F7E5A141A6ED9EC/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

pmchem posted:

Not looking to make money, more concerned about ever being able to loving buy one.

Wondering if BTC or ETH price is gonna cripple availability for the next half year

You can't really mine BTC or ETH with a home GPU anymore. The lack of availability is mostly from actual gamers, lack of anything else to do, and probably some latent production/shipping impacts from this past spring. Crypto isn't really impacting the GPU market in any meaningful way.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I wonder if that's where I'm getting specular pops. I haven't paid attention to which surfaces cause it but I get occasional little over bright light flash blobs like on a material when its specular is wonky. I could see it being an interaction with rtx

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lockback posted:

Crypto isn't really impacting the GPU market in any meaningful way.

WRONG.
People arent mining ETH or BTC but you can still most certainly mine alt coins and be paid in BTC or USD using nicehash. Its profitable for many cards as long as BTC is over 23k. Its absolutely having an effect on GPU availability. This time around the AMD cards suck butts at mining but like there even any to buy

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 19, 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol at this patch note

quote:

Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Fauxtool posted:

WRONG.
People arent mining ETH or BTC but you can still most certainly mine alt coins and be paid in BTC or USD using nicehash. Its profitable for many cards as long as BTC is over 23k. Its absolutely having an effect on GPU availability. This time around the AMD cards suck butts at mining but like there even any to buy

The only time this was ever enticing was when there was a site that paid out in Amazon $20 gift codes daily and it was the dead of winter. I don't think there's anyone doing that anymore. I'm sure as poo poo not faxing my driver's license to Coinbase or whatever just to handle butts.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

shrike82 posted:

lol at this patch note

Was this the hex edit that people claimed ga love them a fps boost?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Bloopsy posted:

Nah though that was actually fixed too for AMD systems with <8 cores.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bloopsy posted:

no, but that's also addressed in a separate patch note

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

jisforjosh posted:

Glad Seasonic still hasn't steered me wrong with a Tier A gold selection

Yeah, I went from PC P&C (before OCZ bought them) to Seasonic and steer everyone who asks to them. I use a dairy analogy - you can buy supermarket-labeled milk or you can buy direct from the dairy and actually see where the "milk" comes from.

I know even Seasonic fucks up sometimes, but they stand behind their product and aren't going anywhere since they build pretty much everyone's high-end units for them.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I had a fun adventure with Seasonic’s over-aggressive OCP on my PSU last weekend, so I’m a little more reluctant to sing their praises these days. Supposedly the current models are ‘fixed’, but some recent Reddit posts indicated that they received the same problematic models after RMA, so I went with EVGA rather than roll the dice on a RMA that may take ages. It was at best a side-grade from what I had before, but I’m more than fine with that since I can now actually use my GPU.

Side note, seems the local used market where I’m at is pretty similar to the broader eBay market. I listed my 1080 Ti last night on Facebook Marketplace, and sold for full asking within 24 hours, with at least a dozen contacts before completing the sale this afternoon. I’m pretty sure with a little patience I could have gotten a fair bit more.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm almost glad my 3080 isn't here yet so I'll have a smoother cyberpunk experience once I get to actually play it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So is the 3070 Ti a sure thing?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Fauxtool posted:

WRONG.

Citation needed here, what evidence is there that there is a big crypto run on gpus?

Profitability looks like about 1/4 or less than the last run, I don't see any spike in ethereum hash rates since the 3000 series launched (which is what happens when a bunch of people jump on). It's much faster to get to profitable with a 580 still. I don't think crypto is all that much of a factor here.....

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

SourKraut posted:

So is the 3070 Ti a sure thing?

yea but its only being released to chinese bitcoin miners

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Add me to the list of 3080 Strix's finally shipped from Mem express. Nice b-day present!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lockback posted:

Citation needed here, what evidence is there that there is a big crypto run on gpus?

Profitability looks like about 1/4 or less than the last run, I don't see any spike in ethereum hash rates since the 3000 series launched (which is what happens when a bunch of people jump on). It's much faster to get to profitable with a 580 still. I don't think crypto is all that much of a factor here.....

they arent mining eth or btc. You arent going to find anything no matter how hard you look in the wrong place.

Im sure the guy who bought 3 3080s and a 6800xt from me at 300 over msrp actually built 4 gaming PCs and definitely isnt mining on them. A 200 day ROI is perfectly reasonable to these people

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
I'm sure some people are mining--there always are some people mining, but the rates are still nowhere near what they were at the crypto-crazy peak in the winter of 2017--at that point you could make $175/mo with a $700 1080 Ti. Until the last couple of weeks you could make like...$90/mo with a $700 3080.

So, yeah, while I'm sure there's some impact, it's not as attractive as it was, and the number of legitimate gamers scrambling for cards is the overwhelming portion of sales (well, and botters to flip 'em).

Things might be different in somewhere like China, where mining as a whole has kept up a much larger presence, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Bloopsy posted:

Nah, that was real, and had a measurable benefit on Ryzen with ≤6 cores. The thing they're talking about always seemed bunk to me, I never tested it, but I wasn't seeing poor ram or gpu usage

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Dec 19, 2020

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I'm putting my F5 Quest on hold for a while. Today I almost convinced myself that a USD$935 EVGA 3080 FTW ULTRAMAAXXXX420 edition might be 'worth it'. Where I live, you can expect a $50-100 markup on US MSRP, but I just can't spend 900+ on a 3080, that's insane! It's a weird feeling, not trusting yourself.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 19, 2020

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
A combination of hating overpaying for something and being stubborn not to give in to scalpers landed me a 3080 order in about 2 weeks off Amazon

Scalpers are just really scummy people to me and and don't think I could wash off the stink if I ever caved in,

SirTagz
Feb 25, 2014

infraboy posted:

A combination of hating overpaying for something and being stubborn not to give in to scalpers landed me a 3080 order in about 2 weeks off Amazon

Scalpers are just really scummy people to me and and don't think I could wash off the stink if I ever caved in,

So you just F5-d for 14 days?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Fauxtool posted:

they arent mining eth or btc. You arent going to find anything no matter how hard you look in the wrong place.

Im sure the guy who bought 3 3080s and a 6800xt from me at 300 over msrp actually built 4 gaming PCs and definitely isnt mining on them. A 200 day ROI is perfectly reasonable to these people

Was wondering how many of you scalp

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Fauxtool posted:

Im sure the guy who bought 3 3080s and a 6800xt from me at 300 over msrp actually built 4 gaming PCs

lol

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
i have a pool of around 20 machines running 2080 supers at work that are idle - at $2.50 per machine per day thats $3500 per quarter lets roll baby

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
So uh, would anyone be willing to hunt down and ship a 3080 to Europe for me? I'd pay a 100$ upfront for the hunting effort and would cover shipping costs, the budget would be ~800$

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

TheCoach posted:

So uh, would anyone be willing to hunt down and ship a 3080 to Europe for me? I'd pay a 100$ upfront for the hunting effort and would cover shipping costs, the budget would be ~800$

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950980&pagenumber=1&perpage=40