Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Sylvain is arguably a worse person than Lorenz.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tired Moritz posted:

Sylvain is arguably a worse person than Lorenz.

Its not really arguably, Sylvain is out to hurt people and knows exactly what he's doing while Lorenz is a generally well-meaning person with a really warped view of the world.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Eimi posted:

I mean he isn't that but it's very easy to get that impression of him if you just do the first two supports and forget about him, which probably leads to at least some people disliking him. :shrug:

Also his complete refusal to get good stats. That drags him down.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Sylvain also has a much more messed-up upbringing. They’re both rich lord’s sons but Lorentz’s family seems to have raised him with relatively little trouble whereas Sylvain saw how his family treated his brother and internalized hosed up poo poo about crests and his purpose as nobility.

Edit: also, Santa Felix

https://twitter.com/rainbowdonkee/status/1339050455612215296?s=21

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 16, 2020

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
In terms of the three similar-ish characters across the three houses, Ferdinand is a better person than Lorenz is a better person than Sylvain.
Neither Ferdi or Lorenz go anywhere near Sylvain's "let's set out to hurt people" deal. Lorenz does hurt people but that's because he's got a warped idea of how things work, not because he wants to hurt people.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Shinji117 posted:

In terms of the three similar-ish characters across the three houses, Ferdinand is a better person than Lorenz is a better person than Sylvain.
Neither Ferdi or Lorenz go anywhere near Sylvain's "let's set out to hurt people" deal. Lorenz does hurt people but that's because he's got a warped idea of how things work, not because he wants to hurt people.

Ferdinand is a good boy who has never done anything wrong in his life.

Bernie's unstoppable!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

A very on-topic tweet:

https://twitter.com/dearlybruhloved/status/1339055533127557121?s=21

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

You forgot the best part about Bernie. Her weapon is a tome that summons a giant house for her to hide in.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

McTimmy posted:

Also his complete refusal to get good stats. That drags him down.

I actually think this is part of it. Lorenz looks like a loser and comes off as ineffective in battle. People tend to have soft spots for units that perform well; in contrast, units that seem ineffective are going to have an uphill battle to be liked.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

nrook posted:

I actually think this is part of it. Lorenz looks like a loser and comes off as ineffective in battle. People tend to have soft spots for units that perform well; in contrast, units that seem ineffective are going to have an uphill battle to be liked.

Well, that, and if a unit is good, you're more likely to reach their A supports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its kind of the catch-22 too. sylvain is an rear end in a top hat but hes useful so people might keep using him. bernie isnt that good but shes bernie. ignatz comes off as an rear end in his c supports and he isnt that useful, so he tends to get benched.

of course, three houses' small roster size should ideally alleviate this issue because you should be using everyone, but they chickened out on it and let you recruit as many people as you want.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wish the commoners were more important in 3H's story. GD has more commoners than the other houses but the characters that get the bulk of plot talking are Claude, Lorenz and Hilda. Lysithea also gets a couple lines where relevant.

The only really 'important' Commoner amongst the students is Dedue.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

The moment I looked at the Santa Felix art, I heard his opening line when you invite him to tea in my head,

"Why am I here?"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/yattazetkhs/status/1338737644725960704

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I will take any opportunity to try to sell the War Cleric class, so just a PSA that Hilda makes a killer War Cleric, despite her bane in faith. Get that brawl avoid on her and she's untouchable.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Lorenz is just* Dorothea but with an equal and opposite amount of game.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

IceBorg posted:

I recruit everyone because I like talking to people in the academy section each month and that's way more dialogue than not recruiting some people.

That just makes it more obvious that students with the same "archetype" share some dialogue after the timeskip, like Caspar and Raphael.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

lunar detritus posted:

That just makes it more obvious that students with the same "archetype" share some dialogue after the timeskip, like Caspar and Raphael.

I feel like I'm harsher on Caspar for that because he has some potentially interesting interactions like his support with Edelgard and his uncle being part of her army, but he just shrugs and doesn't care and remains... relatively shallow. At least with Raphael what you see is what you get, Caspar feels a bit like wasted potential.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I feel like I'm harsher on Caspar for that because he has some potentially interesting interactions like his support with Edelgard and his uncle being part of her army, but he just shrugs and doesn't care and remains... relatively shallow. At least with Raphael what you see is what you get, Caspar feels a bit like wasted potential.

The best part of Caspar will always be the pant-making GBS threads terror he has for his father who we never see. Also, his A-rank with Hilda. :grin:

ApplesandOranges posted:

I wish the commoners were more important in 3H's story. GD has more commoners than the other houses but the characters that get the bulk of plot talking are Claude, Lorenz and Hilda. Lysithea also gets a couple lines where relevant.

The only really 'important' Commoner amongst the students is Dedue.

Would be nice, but it's something you should expect from a game where one of the major themes is the hosed-uppedness of the aristocracy and how inconsequential non-crest bearers are. Also, you'd expect the Lords and their Handlers to be the main plot drivers of their respective houses. :shrug:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Captain Cappy posted:

Lorenz is just* Dorothea but with an equal and opposite amount of game.

You’re evil, you know that?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lucas Archer posted:

Raphael gets no respect.

Eimi posted:

Ferdinand is a good boy who has never done anything wrong in his life.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Can you really call it perfect tea time if one of them is drinking coffee? :thunk:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
If one of them wants to drink coffee, any other kind of tea time would be less than perfect.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I laughed out loud at Hubert clinging to that pegasus. He wants to fly so much!! But it's so difficult!!!!

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

They should have never gender locked Dark Flyer, preventing Hubert from realizing his dreams. :argh:

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

Oh, this that timeline where Edelgard wins, and to this day I refuse to side with her. My fourth playthrough, where I was gonna go down the Crimson Flower path, I still can't commit to it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

hopeandjoy posted:

They should have never gender locked Dark Flyer, preventing Hubert from realizing his dreams. :argh:

Falcoknight though, Hubs doesn't use Black Magic but he does have Frozen Lance.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Doc Dee posted:

Oh, this that timeline where Edelgard wins, and to this day I refuse to side with her. My fourth playthrough, where I was gonna go down the Crimson Flower path, I still can't commit to it.

I feel like it is fairly justified within the route.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Doc Dee posted:

Edelgard did nothing wrong that the other lords didn't also do. War crimes for everyone!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
The actual list of war-crimes done in 3 Houses is fairly short. It might literally just be;

Byleth doing executions of prisoners, the scheme to sneak soldiers into Fort Mercius, Rhea going mad and torching Fhirdiad

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

https://twitter.com/mushroom8923/status/1339620075528048640

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Rimusutera posted:

The actual list of war-crimes done in 3 Houses is fairly short. It might literally just be;

Byleth doing executions of prisoners, the scheme to sneak soldiers into Fort Mercius, Rhea going mad and torching Fhirdiad

Although not strictly covered by the Geneva Convention, I feel that the use of human lives to create demonic beasts has to be some kind of war crime.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

playing a video game is not a personal endorsement of war crimes

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

Edelgard did nothing wrong that the other lords didn't also do. War crimes for everyone!

I don't think Claude and Dmitri intentionally didn't evacuate their capitals to use them as a shield?

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Amppelix posted:

playing a video game is not a personal endorsement of war crimes

however posting in this thread absolutely is, and I intend to take you all to the posting crime tribunal

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

My posts stand for themselves and for Lady Edelgard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Doc Dee posted:

I mean it can still happen in any non-SS route where you don't recruit Ferdinand, just pretend all this happens before Myrrdin.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Mall Santa Metis posted:

however posting in this thread absolutely is, and I intend to take you all to the posting crime tribunal

I know for a fact that you only have the authority to prosecute bingo related crimes, this court is a sham!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Mall Santa Metis posted:

Although not strictly covered by the Geneva Convention, I feel that the use of human lives to create demonic beasts has to be some kind of war crime.

Given that at least some portion of them were unwilling noncombatants it absolutely fits any reasonable definition of war crime even before you get into usage. Hell, I can't think of any major civilian-related war crime done by either other lord within their own route or while fighting against them, whereas Edelgard has multiple - even ignoring "allied" forces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Cattail Prophet posted:

I know for a fact that you only have the authority to prosecute bingo related crimes, this court is a sham!

just wait