Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Spam is great but probably not with loving crushed Oreos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The Bloop posted:

Spam is great but probably not with loving crushed Oreos

Yeah, a layer of whole oreo thins or nothin

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I’ve made candied spam before and it was pretty good. I’d give it a try

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Facebook Aunt posted:

My mom is staying with me for a while. She just surprised me with a salad: iceberg lettuce, tomato, and ranch.

Thanks mom. :3:

That tomato looks really good, though. Would eat and enjoy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlbieQuirky posted:

That tomato looks really good, though. Would eat and enjoy.

Yeah the tomato was pretty good for a supermarket tomato. Iceberg was crisp. Ranch was . . . ranch. Overall it was a little bland, but there was nothing wrong with it. I just thought it was mildly funny by 2020 salad standards. 2 ingredient salad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's very much me making a salad because I don't like salad so I don't understand what I am supposed to be doing.

Like, cut up veg, do not cook, YES A RAW (???)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

OwlFancier posted:

That's very much me making a salad because I don't like salad so I don't understand what I am supposed to be doing.

Like, cut up veg, do not cook, YES A RAW (???)

Grand Fromage's salad tips:

The goal is you want a variety of stuff, and don't forget seasoning.

So you base your salad on leaves, but just one leaf is boring. A mix is better. A type of lettuce + a type of basic green (eg spinach) + a type of stronger green (eg arugula) is a good start. Shredded Taiwanese cabbage is good.

Then add. You want raw vegetables that add crunch here and different flavors. Cucumber, radish, radish sprouts, carrot, broccoli, other fancy greens, turnip, all good options. If you want to be fancier and prep stuff you could add things like roasted cauliflower or green beans or kabocha or something.

Now you may want a protein element. A hard boiled egg is classic, you can add some seafood or chicken. This isn't necessary but if you're going for a meal salad it's good to do.

Dressing, whatever you're into is fine. Croutons are always good. Chickpeas can add some texture variety, either soft boiled or crispy version.

At this point you have a good salad without making it 1000 calories of cheese. If you want to do that, go hog wild and pile on cheese and bacon, whatever mang. But you don't need to.

But what you DO need to do is remember this is food and season it. Salt your salad, add some pepper. Other spices as you like.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
salad means 'salted thing'

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

bob dobbs is dead posted:

salad means 'salted thing'

i have never salted or seen a salted salad in my life. you just top it with a small serving of intensely salty things that pair well with the leafs/veg/fruit part???

olives, pickled peppers, cured meats, cheese, anchovies, seasoned croutons, etc.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

i have never salted or seen a salted salad in my life. you just top it with a small serving of intensely salty things that pair well with the leafs/veg/fruit part???
Most salad dressings have salt in them.

augias
Apr 7, 2009

WITCHCRAFT posted:

olives, pickled peppers, cured meats, cheese, anchovies, seasoned croutons, etc.

Idk if this is a joke or its late and i have a headache, or americans really never eat or prepare their own salad...

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

OwlFancier posted:

This is a false flag operation by the CCP, surely.

surely

This is the only reasonable answer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

augias posted:

Idk if this is a joke or its late and i have a headache, or americans really never eat or prepare their own salad...

No, we can’t figure it out. Never have. The only salads we have are packaged Dole kits or McDonalds

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

No, we can’t figure it out. Never have. The only salads we have are packaged Dole kits or McDonalds

Hold on, we also have the mayo based salads like potato salad and tuna salad

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

What are all these amateur salads.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The perfect salad is a 50/50 mix of croutons and dressing.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

augias posted:

Considering how you didn't really read the post and just jumped in wanting to make a dumb americans joke, I think you already know the answer you wanted.

Although if you're at a place with a salad bar and prepackaged salads, you'll almost always do better just buying the premade salad instead because it's cheaper.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

gschmidl posted:

What are all these amateur salads.

Ironic that you said this yet you posted the wurstsalat in the thread

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I am apart from my mother the only person I know who does my own vinaigrette, let alone the other dressings I eat, so I don't think that part's wrong.

I also make my own gravy!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
my first writing teacher's big break came when Scott Simon came to interview him about his first book.

they went to a country store in the middle of nowhere for lunch. Simon ordered a salad, and the people there were flabbergasted that he didn't want ham and cheese all over it, and (bc they didn't have a vinaigrette) no dressing

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Empty Sandwich posted:

I am apart from my mother the only person I know who does my own vinaigrette, let alone the other dressings I eat, so I don't think that part's wrong.

I make vinaigrette that I mostly use as a sandwich dressing, but it's just red wine vinaigrette and would be good on salad as well.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because I don't like the seven layer salad my family eats at the holidays, (it's bland and gross) one year my dad came home, set down one of those $1 salads from McDonalds and smugly said 'There! Now you can't complain! You have your own personal salad!'

He then got mad because I fed the handful of iceberg lettuce and single cherry tomato to my guinea pig instead of humoring him, I guess.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

LadyPictureShow posted:

Because I don't like the seven layer salad my family eats at the holidays, (it's bland and gross) one year my dad came home, set down one of those $1 salads from McDonalds and smugly said 'There! Now you can't complain! You have your own personal salad!'

He then got mad because I fed the handful of iceberg lettuce and single cherry tomato to my guinea pig instead of humoring him, I guess.

I bet the guinea pig was stoked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Empty Sandwich posted:

The idea that only americans don't do homemade dressing (or that only americans like creamy fatty dressings and sauces instead of a vinaigrette) is the dumb part.

Honestly if you want a real stereotype about these dumb comparisons, it's portion control. Everyone loves artery-hardening crap, but in France I can go to a restaurant and get a shared starter, a salad or soup, a main course with a side, and a dessert and not hate myself after. In the US, lol I'm getting three days of calories right there.

Also another stereotype I think is reversed from reality is how americans associate Europe with like, haute-cuisine. If you're a rich person who wants to dine go to NYC or LA or these days even Toronto, everything but regional specialties will be better. Meanwhile, Europe has waaaaay better poo poo tier food. Street food to the local branches of american fast food chains to crappy packaged sandwiches from a corner store, 1000% better than in the US.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

My friend ordered a meal that came with two sides but given American portion sizes he said he only wanted one and the waitress looked at him funny lol.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFZ5jQ0yuNA

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

As an American, I'd have to agree that portion sizes got out of control years ago and are only now starting to show any signs of reversion to normalcy.

The size of fountain drinks is one metric - if I order a "medium" I don't expect to get 32 loving ounces of soda.

My partner and I learned the hard way that ordering a single entree at Red Lobster (don't judge me, they are better than they used to be) was way too much food for a single person. We've gotten in the habit of ordering a single combination dinner because that is more than enough for the two of us, and the only question is which one of us gets the salad that time.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CaptainSarcastic posted:

As an American, I'd have to agree that portion sizes got out of control years ago and are only now starting to show any signs of reversion to normalcy.

The size of fountain drinks is one metric - if I order a "medium" I don't expect to get 32 loving ounces of soda.

My partner and I learned the hard way that ordering a single entree at Red Lobster (don't judge me, they are better than they used to be) was way too much food for a single person. We've gotten in the habit of ordering a single combination dinner because that is more than enough for the two of us, and the only question is which one of us gets the salad that time.

I eat the occasional bagel, I found out a while back that they've followed the portion increase:

Yeah, portions in restaurants are way out of control.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lender’s bagels that come in a bag are the same size they were in 1992 I could swear

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Honestly, people talk about it as an American thing but portions are similarly huge at restaurants in every country I've lived in and most I've visited. Drink sizes are the one thing where the US is uniquely massive, you aren't ordering a large soda in China and getting a liter bucket.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Ordering an appetizer and entree between two people at most restaurants is usually enough food to take some home.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I love making my own vinaigrette

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Something else that has gotten worse? Frozen dinners.

20 years ago there were some actually good frozen dinners, like the original Marie Callenders ones. Since then the wheels of monopoly have ground most of the market into like 3 companies, and the quality has deteriorated in favor of squeezing ever more profit out of it.

Even 10 years ago I felt pretty comfortable getting a "salisbury steak" frozen dinner as they were at least predictable. In the last couple years I had enough incidents of crunching on bone in my "salisbury steak" to give it up entirely.

There are now less than a half-dozen frozen dinners I consider okay, and like half of those are smaller companies that are still independent.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Imo the Amy's ones are all pretty decent but twice the price of the competitors so :shrug:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

20 years ago there were some actually good frozen dinners, like the original Marie Callenders ones. Since then the wheels of monopoly have ground most of the market into like 3 companies, and the quality has deteriorated in favor of squeezing ever more profit out of it.

Even 10 years ago I felt pretty comfortable getting a "salisbury steak" frozen dinner as they were at least predictable. In the last couple years I had enough incidents of crunching on bone in my "salisbury steak" to give it up entirely.

There are now less than a half-dozen frozen dinners I consider okay, and like half of those are smaller companies that are still independent.

https://www.google.com/search?q=trader+joe%27s+near+me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Huh, that’s kind of the opposite impression I get. As long as you stick to the “pile of glarp” genre, i.e. if what you want is Mexican-ish or Indian-ish or Korean-ish or other such that can be described as a “bowl”, there is an embarrassment of riches to be had in the freezer aisle.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
TJs and costco are the only good ones now yeah

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Grand Fromage posted:

Honestly, people talk about it as an American thing but portions are similarly huge at restaurants in every country I've lived in and most I've visited. Drink sizes are the one thing where the US is uniquely massive, you aren't ordering a large soda in China and getting a liter bucket.

This is my experience too, except for pizza. A large pizza in switzerland was pretty much our medium, and cost over 30 bucks.

Want a drink though? That will be 7 dollars for an 8 oz bottle of sparkling water. If you're rich maybe you can afford a second glass.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Data Graham posted:

Huh, that’s kind of the opposite impression I get. As long as you stick to the “pile of glarp” genre, i.e. if what you want is Mexican-ish or Indian-ish or Korean-ish or other such that can be described as a “bowl”, there is an embarrassment of riches to be had in the freezer aisle.

Yeah, as long as you minimize meat and maximize carbs you can get any variety of pile of glarp you can imagine with little trouble.

It's when you try to have Actual Ingredients in that pile of glarp that you run into problems because lol the fda is a joke nowdays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

A couple years ago I used to like going to a sit down fish and chip place by the sea, was quite expensive for the actual fish and chips but they would do you a bowl of battered calamari the size of your head for surprisingly cheap.

But then they stopped and I was gutted.

I'm saying I can have little a lack of portion control, as a treat.