Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

And I didn't really like them when they came out. To be fair, I didn't like the '88s when they came out, either. Now they feel kinda classic.

GMT400s break my brain a bit in this regard. I learned to drive in a '97 that we bought new so part of my brain still treats them as a "new" car, in spite of their obvious age. But then I see a photo of the late GMT400 gauge cluster with the analog odometers (or even moreso, any aspect of the early GMT400 interior) and my brain goes "old truck".

They look best when you've slammed them to the ground and are as long as possible (Suburban, longbed truck).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Guinness posted:

Tell that to every arsehole that leaves their ball hitch in their hitch receiver 365 days a year

I just finished towing a trailer and got back late at night so my ball hitch is still in, went out to the car at night and came so close to just absolutely loving up my shin

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Guinness posted:

Tell that to every arsehole that leaves their ball hitch in their hitch receiver 365 days a year

I apologise in advance for anyone's shins but I tow every day and I'd never remember to take it out when I go to the grocery.

Agree about the 04 generation Silverados, I like that style even better than my 00. Such a great looking front end. After that they just get progressively worse looking with the squinty headlights and gigantic grille.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Going through old photos I found this thing:

Apparently somebody wrote a quick article on it, too: https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a4352/car-culture-isuzu-axiom-limo/

quote:

This is one carriage that has seen better days. The bodyshop guys are as puzzled as the rest of us about why an Axiom limousine needed to be created, but
some internet sleuthing based off the "SPY" grille badge on this example turns up some thin shreds of information about a similar vehicle being used in a
Spy Kids movie. It wouldn't be surprising if there were multiple vehicles made, and the slap-dash build quality and totally non-aligned character line down
the flanks square well with movie-car origins, so perhaps this is a piece of Hollywood history.

The article is dated April 2013 and the photo I took is from a year later so somebody had it fixed and put it back on the road. I saw it at a gas station a couple months later and did not stay around to figure how they maneuvered it out of there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sagebrush posted:

That's illegal too, right? You can't have things that project past the rear bumper unless they're flagged?

*if* over 12" or so, yes.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Guinness posted:

Are you saying you have a problem with nutz?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I just finished towing a trailer and got back late at night so my ball hitch is still in, went out to the car at night and came so close to just absolutely loving up my shin

Ugh, I did that so many times on my XJ when I would be too lazy to take it out. Paid for it, that's for sure.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IOwnCalculus posted:

They look best when you've slammed them to the ground and are as long as possible (Suburban, longbed truck).

I like the opposite as well. I saw a beautiful 4x4 step side with lake pipes on it that was in near perfect shape and it was beautiful. Of course the body lines on the cab were a little lower than the bed, sagging with age. My eye is now drawn to it on everything over two decades old.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I like the opposite as well. I saw a beautiful 4x4 step side with lake pipes on it that was in near perfect shape and it was beautiful. Of course the body lines on the cab were a little lower than the bed, sagging with age. My eye is now drawn to it on everything over two decades old.

It's weird but I think if I was going to lift a GMT400, I'd want it to be one of the short ones - two-door Blazer/Tahoe, RCSB truck. Of course, RCSBs look good no matter what you do to them.

I swear the bed/cab alignment is like the FedEx arrow. You can go literal decades without noticing it but once you see it, you don't know how the gently caress you or anyone else missed it at any point.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I swear the bed/cab alignment is like the FedEx arrow. You can go literal decades without noticing it but once you see it, you don't know how the gently caress you or anyone else missed it at any point.

Or the doe inside the Browning logo.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

wesleywillis posted:

Or the doe inside the Browning logo.

Whoa whoa whoa, where's the doe? There's the obvious buck... but I've never seen a doe.

edit: the way they wrote BrowninG makes it look like a penis.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, where's the doe? There's the obvious buck... but I've never seen a doe.

edit: the way they wrote BrowninG makes it look like a penis.
The light open space inside the buck - imagine an identically posed doe, slightly smaller, posed in front of the darker buck.

edit: \/\/\/ yeah, it's kind of a reach.

edit 2: https://www.browning.com/news/articles/celebrating-the-browning-buckmark-logo.html "I consider it a happy accident" - the designer after another employee pointed it out

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 18, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It could be argued that the inside line ("white" area) of the logo graphic also makes a deer head, but with just an ear sticking up and no antlers.

It's nowhere near as clear as the FedEx arrow.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Whoever designed this is an idiot who has only ever been told about how to control an audio system but never actually interacted with one.

https://twitter.com/stevenewing/status/1339972174031941634?s=20

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Am I weird for never ever wanting to browse media sources in my car? Every time I drive someone else's car, I can't remember which unlabeled button is volume and end up switching to AM and then trying to figure out which unlabeled button switches it back and I still don't know how to make it louder. Bonus points if it's my sister's Chrysler and the buttons are on the back of the wheel and you don't even know they're there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Somehow I missed this until today.

The '20 Audi S6 Avant:

Oo, nice sporty quad exhaust!

Nope:

..and that's the only exhaust. There's nothing on the other side at all.

Also, it's only available in a 3.0L diesel. The *S*6, only comes with a diesel.
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/say-hello-to-my-new-audi-s6-yes-the-one-with-the-fake-exhaust-tips/

and yeah, it's got a fake noise system to make it sound like a petrol V8 inside the car.

Just because I hate it so much, I'm going to post the '21 4-series and its ridiculous grilles again:

edit:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-fake-exhaust-pipes-that-make-expensive-cars-look-cheap/
Related: the fake exhausts are a thing that needs to stop. I don't mind so much the "floating" exhaust openings if there's an actual exhaust there, but mutliplying or completely faking poo poo, particularly on a supposedly premium vehicle, where actually engineering the exhaust can be afforded, is just terrible. The very definition of disingenuous. Is it really beyond the reach of modern carmakers to make the exhaust come out where they want for appearances' sake, and stay there?
That poo poo up there is a step up beyond the second tailpipe I spotted on a Toyota Camry that was just a pipe welded to the back of the muffler. At night, my headlights shone straight up that pipe to show that it dead-ended at the muffler. That was factory.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 19, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

One more, I'm on a roll.

Oh, look, a pair of '58 Corvettes!

Wait...

that doesn't look quite...

Jesu Christus!

Yeah, it's a Chinese copycat.

https://www.corvetteblogger.com/2020/09/29/tribute-or-copycat-the-songsan-ss-dolphin-makes-its-debut-at-the-beijing-motor-show/
https://www.facebook.com/carnewschina/posts/3654224961276839

edit: though I actually like those wheels. Kind of a neat combo of old-school Centerlines with the rivets, and baby moons.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 19, 2020

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

The '20 Audi S6 Avant:

Nope:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/say-hello-to-my-new-audi-s6-yes-the-one-with-the-fake-exhaust-tips/

and yeah, it's got a fake noise system to make it sound like a petrol V8 inside the car.

Just because I hate it so much, I'm going to post the '21 4-series and its ridiculous grilles again:

edit:
https://www.carthrottle.com/post/7-fake-exhaust-pipes-that-make-expensive-cars-look-cheap/
Related: the fake exhausts are a thing that needs to stop. I don't mind so much the "floating" exhaust openings if there's an actual exhaust there, but mutliplying or completely faking poo poo, particularly on a supposedly premium vehicle, where actually engineering the exhaust can be afforded, is just terrible. The very definition of disingenuous. Is it really beyond the reach of modern carmakers to make the exhaust come out where they want for appearances' sake, and stay there?
That poo poo up there is a step up beyond the second tailpipe I spotted on a Toyota Camry that was just a pipe welded to the back of the muffler. At night, my headlights shone straight up that pipe to show that it dead-ended at the muffler. That was factory.

I'd swear I've seen some late model bmw products with the fake exhaust bullshit.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My favourites are the Mercedes where there's some chrome in the place of exhausts but it isn't even exhaust shaped, so it's just a suggestion that could possibly maybe have been an exhaust a long time ago before the car evolved to not need them.

They're still there though to break up the expanse of nothing on the back end because apparently the human mind cannot comprehend car design or vroom vroom noises without them.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My favourites are the Mercedes where there's some chrome in the place of exhausts but it isn't even exhaust shaped, so it's just a suggestion that could possibly maybe have been an exhaust a long time ago before the car evolved to not need them.

Like those little plastic vertical-ribbed diapers that get glued into the rear bumpers to suggest a “diffuser”, even on things like Jeeps and SUVs

“What’s this weird shape you see on expensive sports car rear ends? I dunno, just mold one into the plastic”

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Darchangel posted:

The '20 Audi S6 Avant:

Nope:

edit:

Haha I just noticed one of those Camry exhausts on the way in to work the other day. Cars have had plain bumpers with hidden, down-pointing exhausts for decades and its been fine, though they tend to be plebian economy models. One wouldn't want one's Audi to be associated with such riff-raff. I'm not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure the real exhaust on that Audi is because of diesel particulate emissions. Something about firing that poo poo directly onto the road surface leads to people dying of less cancer or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Also so the bumper doesnt get sooty or heat warped from the DPF regen cycle.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Phone posting so I had to zoom in to check if low-profile tires had been taken to a new extreme. Looked like the rim was just coated in rubber at first.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

david_a posted:

Phone posting so I had to zoom in to check if low-profile tires had been taken to a new extreme. Looked like the rim was just coated in rubber at first.

'round these here parts we refer to the ultra-mega low profile tires as rubber bands

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Thanks. I hate it.

Gomi Day
Nov 15, 2007

Trust me, Bill. Large spectacles lend distinction to any countenance, as I have reason to know.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/therealautoblog/status/1340461917312339970
:psyduck:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

*mashes 'we have to go back' button*

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
The future? Looks very 2002 to me.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
It’s worth clicking through to the article because it gets better

quote:

[...] the operator “sits” in the car in a prone position, laying on their stomach with their limbs in an X position.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Car Boys meets Monster Factory

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Uthor posted:

The future? Looks very 2002 to me.

I Robot was a terrible movie

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

what the gently caress

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Rhyno posted:

I Robot was a terrible movie

The lovely future Lexus is from Minority Report, it was a lovely future Audi in I, Robot.

Ror fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 20, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'd drive the lovely future Lexus but not the lovely future Audi. And definitely not the lovely future Nissan. Hell I wouldn't drive a regular present Nissan

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

How could there possibly be so many S-10s still on the roads? Didn't they stop making them during the Clinton administration?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
That is some chart gore poo poo right there

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Its not the S-10 thats getting the DUI

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ror posted:

The lovely future Lexus is from Minority Report, it was a lovely future Audi in I, Robot.

Audi had a way better future styling roadmap ahead of them 20 years ago than they do now

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Well TBH I think the GTR will look like this in 2050

Because Nissan hasnt changed that GTR's styling since 2007 so why not past 2050?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

MRC48B posted:

Its not the S-10 thats getting the DUI

I wonder maw many vehicles were in DUI's with different owners.

Like A Dog's Purpose, but for impounded 2500s