Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Mebh posted:

I thought the margins were so tight that it was cheaper to let it rot than increase wages, which is why it hasn't happened. Mostly because the supermarkets won't pay more, because customers won't pay more and it's some sort of bizzare game of chicken with supermarkets trying to sneakily raise prices without triggering consumer awareness enough and all trying to be the last one to have to do it because shoppers will just go to 'other supermarket that is eating the loss for now'

Picking fruit at a small loss is still better than letting it rot for a total loss. Farms with reserve cash can struggle through to see another year and hope that it'll be survivable too.
It will, because this government will always look after the interests of business first. They allowed farmers to charter a jet to bring in foreign pickers at the height of the pandemic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Endjinneer posted:

It will, because this government will always look after the interests of business first.

I very much doubt that, Johnson himself said 'gently caress business'

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Guavanaut posted:

Flipping a coin between "nationalize the supermarkets and set prices" and "let the farms collapse and take them over as collective agriculture."

Porque no los dos

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Endjinneer posted:

Picking fruit at a small loss is still better than letting it rot for a total loss.

It is, but if the scenario you are looking at is ‘bringing in pickers will cost more than we will sell the fruit for’ then you just let it rot. The cost of the fruit is sunk, the only question is ‘will we make more money selling the fruit than it costs to pick it’, and the answer in many cases is ‘no’.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

kent ought to adopt a stiff upper piss. sorry did i say piss i meant,,, piss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol

https://twitter.com/captaintommoore/status/1339979793954189312?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

Porque no los dos
Only that you might end up with a conflict between the collective farms, who want the highest price for their produce, and the government stores, who want the lowest price for their purchases.

Nothing unfamiliar to anyone who's a follower of sub-Saharan African politics though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Why lol?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Hope he's had his vaccine (though of course many would consider that a waste of resources)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Let him off just this once, he deserves it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the extremely tory energy in the photo, wearing his loving medals on holiday, loving off out of the UK during a pandemic. just feels like it was a grift imo

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
I don't think we'll reach a point of calorie deficiency or mass price rises, but it'll be interesting to see a lot of basics that we don't have year-round or significant production of disappear from the shelves over February. Given cooking in Britain, most of the impact might be seen in frozen/ready meals eg pizzas changing to barbecue instead of tomato sauce, more casseroles than bolognese, that sort of thing.

forkboy84 posted:

This is bollocks though, as far as the Scottish Greens go. They aren't ever going to win a FPTP seat so their best can & do sit at Holyrood, people like Patrick Harvie & Ross Greer & Alison Johnstone & John Finnie, & at until today I'd have happily included Wightman in that category for his fantastic campaigning worth on issues as diverse as land ownership across Scotland & attacking short-term landlords (AirBnB type poo poo) in Edinburgh.

And I'm quite confident in saying that of any party with representation above local council level the Scottish Greens are the least worst by some margin.

Their best is 4 of their 5 MSPs, 5 of their 6 prior, and includes the school politician from a very privileged area, dropped into a free slot at 21 because they knew him from a separate campaign a few years prior, and immediately made their foreign affairs, education and cultural secretary? Which he achieves in the spare time between sick burns on twitter and lobbying in parliament for a Catholic charity's work in Africa despite multiple recent incidents of sexual abuse by their employees? They're all poo poo, but it is depressing that that's the best for the least worst party.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jose posted:

the extremely tory energy in the photo, wearing his loving medals on holiday, loving off out of the UK during a pandemic. just feels like it was a grift imo

Yeah, the making of the tweet itself the finishing touch of out of touchness.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jose posted:

The group of wankers behind him is definitely on the grift. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea what's going on though. I doubt he's all too interested in eight hour flights at his age but they need him for the photoshoot.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

stev posted:

The group of wankers behind him is definitely on the grift. I wouldn't be surprised if he has no idea what's going on though.

it would be extremely fitting for the current state of the UK

https://twitter.com/TommyCorbyn/status/1340026903470747648?s=20

Jose fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Dec 19, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol

https://twitter.com/stonecoldstev3/status/1340104157680824325?s=20

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
I hope the current advert aesthetic "pop/rock song changed to piano and breathy woman singing" is done to the Coke Holidays are Coming advert. One lit-up lorry in a 20 mile tailback, flickering as the alternator slowly fails, the roadside just grey slush with the occasional yellow streak...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Mebh posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/dy8x77/this-corner-of-england-is-ground-zero-for-brexit-chaos-and-it-literally-reeks-of-piss

Some amazing karma in that article. Including the brexit voting guy who can't go in his garden as it reeks strongly of piss from a constant barrage of 2l bottles of it being chucked from passing lorries

I hope Kent drowns in piss. Sorry any goons that live there!

hehe i like when karma is very on the nose :laugh:

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

Jose posted:

just feels like it was a grift imo

his daughter is using him to brand her range of gin - iirc she's trademarked Captain Tom

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

crispix posted:

his daughter is using him to brand her range of gin - iirc she's trademarked Captain Tom

lmao

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Ehhhh kinda, like yeah some of it is very much deliberately "This has become so normalized that everyone accepts it unthinkingly" (The ads are a perfect example, they've clearly just kept on advancing until "Literally Experience Eating rear end" is perfectly acceptable to advertise omnipresently) and you're meant to be just another dipshit in the machine, but as an open world game there feels like there's a disharmony between narrative and gameplay expectations. Like, maybe it shouldn't be possible to succeed in effecting long-term or real change, but you should definitely be able to go and try do things that make a material dent in the corps or whatever. We're playing it to live out our awesome future cybernetic fantasies, so being railroaded into "Actually things are poo poo and only ever getting worse, you cannot even *attempt* to change this" is just... not that fun?

Especially given, you know, the whole Johnny Silverhand thing. If there was ever an opportunity for the setting to tell a story about trying to change things (However that ended up) it was here. They tried to hype it up as "How do you keep yourself centered, how do you even know which thoughts are yours and which are Johnny's?", but they largely bungled that because A) Your 'disagreements' are mostly you two sniping at each other, and B) It would have been far more interesting if there was an actual tension between what should be done and how to do it, e.g. you might come to agree with Johnny about things needing to change, but you can try to build a community to do it rather than taking his route, or something.

Ending spoilers: It also doesn't help that if you take a particular course, they completely stick to their word and if anything exceed it, spending what must be incredible sums of money to give you MONTHS of medical treatment in an orbital facility, and then offer you something that is seen during the game as perhaps the most elite thing available to the world's wealthiest, bypassing any cost or wait times. Like, that goes well beyond "Fine this person did something that benefits us, cut them a check and tell them to gently caress off."

The thing is that it doesn't feel like a statement on things being hopeless/finding meaning despite the state of the world/etc., what it feels like is they themselves lacked vision as much as the inhabitants of Night City. I made a big post in Games about it regarding my thoughts and ultimately my question was "Why use this setting?" - there's nothing said here that hasn't been said in a Grand Theft Auto or even Saint's Row.

Yeah I basically agree with this. As for the mechanics I guess I just don’t find it all that acceptable for one of the most hyped, if not the most hyped, game in history to have ‘pretty good shooting’ and not much else in terms of game mechanics. The world does just feel quite empty, barring things to look at. The stealth is poo poo. The driving is poo poo. The cop system is laughable.

I wanted Witcher 3 in the future too but I really don’t feel like I got it. As an example, when in Witcher 3 you encounter some down trodden citizen being stomped by goons and save them, there’d be some conversation. They’d thank you and probably ask you to deliver a chicken to their wife or some poo poo. Or you’d be able to have conversation with the goons and decide actually this citizen deserves a stomping, or threaten them to back off instead. It would feel like a real interaction. In Cyberpunk, the times I’ve seen these little things happening you approach, you fight the bad guys, then the victim stays cowering on the floor. And that’s it.

That’s poo poo.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol he's cancelling christmas

https://twitter.com/ValerioEsposito/status/1340281145645273088?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
UKMT January 2021 -

Jakabite posted:

The cop system is laughable.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Not a chance, I can’t believe anybody has enough dirt on Boris to pressure him into being The PM Who Cancelled Christmas

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ive got maybe 40 hours in cyberpunk on a fairly decent pc and the only bugs Ive seen so far have been minor visual glitches. Im absolutely loving it so far (nearing the end of act 2), but I'm guessing thats because I had 550 hours in the witcher 3 and went into this expecting a futuristic witcher rather than a GTA game. For me it's one of my favourite games of all time, especially if they can work out the glitches and provide top tier dlc like they did with witcher 3.

E: and it's absolutley breathtakingly beautiful with RTX on

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Who knew that the digestive systems of long haul truckers were so toxic that they could incubate a mutant COVID strain so powerful it was transmitted through bottled piss

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
^Someone's never eaten in a Little Chef

"He's cancelling Christmas" with very specific details will be put on Twitter when the conference time is 3pm, then they'll see Twitter going apeshit and delay the conference to 4 pm, then a new policy will float out and they'll see how FB reacts... round about 8 Bojo will say "some difficult decisions had to be made to plead with you to go harder than we will actually implement- and now over to Chris Witty to outline all the bad things".

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It'll be a post xmas lockdown, same as here in the wales

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Limit of two household bubbles, not three. Enough to look like he’s doing something and piss off people, not enough to actually limit the spread of the virus

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

TheRat posted:

Ive got maybe 40 hours in cyberpunk on a fairly decent pc and the only bugs Ive seen so far have been minor visual glitches. Im absolutely loving it so far (nearing the end of act 2), but I'm guessing thats because I had 550 hours in the witcher 3 and went into this expecting a futuristic witcher rather than a GTA game. For me it's one of my favourite games of all time, especially if they can work out the glitches and provide top tier dlc like they did with witcher 3.

I play on PC too, and have had a few fun bugs.
I called my bike, it drove up, and every car behind it would drive up, hit it, and backflip bounce 10m into the air.
Another time, running on the street at night time in a sleezy area to enjoy the atmos and see what I can see, and every human model changes into 10yo kids.
Just kids half my size everywhere, walking down the street at 4am, telling me to watch my step.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I feel I can't get into Cyperpunk just as an dystopian future rn, I've passed under the big BAE Systems advert on the London tube and been there in while people were singing along to "On the first day of Christmas" but all the gifts were replaced by volumes of Coca Cola overseen by a giant screen at Piccadilly circus.

I mean a Cyberpunk future sounds great- it's poo poo like now but at least roboweed and guns would be legal. It's a mark above the children of men timeline we in lol.
Plus I want to be a razor girl so there is also that.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Dec 19, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

It's fantastic because you know from the speed with which he blocks people posting them just how Not Mad he is. I think it took 3 minutes for me to get blocked by the Spiked account.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

happyhippy posted:

I play on PC too, and have had a few fun bugs.
I called my bike, it drove up, and every car behind it would drive up, hit it, and backflip bounce 10m into the air.
Another time, running on the street at night time in a sleezy area to enjoy the atmos and see what I can see, and every human model changes into 10yo kids.
Just kids half my size everywhere, walking down the street at 4am, telling me to watch my step.

For me its pretty much exlusively been items slightly misplaced (like a phone in your back instead of your hand) and trees going fluid a few times.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

happyhippy posted:

running on the street at night time in a sleezy area to enjoy the atmos and see what I can see, and every human model changes into 10yo kids.
So you see my Lord and members of the Jury...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

If it does become a 2 household bubble I may be breaking rules going to my brother's for Christmas but I've only left the house to go shopping for weeks now because I hosed my knee up running

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I know Chapo have a bit of a mixed reputation around here but there latest episode starts with them explaining Among Us to Slavoj Zizek and him remarking to Virgil "I like that you are wearing a tie because I know who to hang and have the instrument to do it with". Having said that listening to Zizek on headphones is... not a pleasant experience.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TheRat posted:

For me its pretty much exlusively been items slightly misplaced (like a phone in your back instead of your hand) and trees going fluid a few times.

Are we still talking about Russian benzos?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Dolby Sch Reduction.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

happyhippy posted:

this sounds like Poleglass tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know Chapo have a bit of a mixed reputation around here but there latest episode starts with them explaining Among Us to Slavoj Zizek and him remarking to Virgil "I like that you are wearing a tie because I know who to hang and have the instrument to do it with". Having said that listening to Zizek on headphones is... not a pleasant experience.

Oh man, they finally got Zizek? Does he have a new book out?