Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
Christmas partly cancelled.

https://twitter.com/Gabriel_Pogrund/status/1340290476776316928

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I'm going to play Cyberpunk whenever I upgrade my PC, and given that the new generation of components have been hoovered up by scalpers just like the PS5, I'm guessing that'll be in 2022.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

trial balloon goes up

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

lol I hadn’t even thought of this

Lorry drivers heading to EU face ham sandwich ban

quote:

Lorry drivers will be banned from taking a ham and cheese sandwich or other meat and dairy products from the UK into the EU from 1 January, even if it is just to eat while driving, UK government officials have said.

Personal imports of certain products of animal origin will be prohibited from 11pm on 31 December, a ban which will also apply to tourists travelling to the EU.

“God help the poor customs bloke who is going to turf out the driver’s packing up box [food box]. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are fisticuffs if they try,” Simon Wilkinson said. “The thing is, when drivers are going to Europe they pack up their box for days and weeks. The tractor [the cab of the trailer] is basically their home from home. You have microwaves, the works, in your tractor so that if you do get stuck, or if you are away for a week if you are going somewhere like Spain, you are self-sufficient.”

Though presumably after waiting in a queue for a week the drivers won’t have any of their own food left and will instead be surviving on emergency rations handed out by aid organisations

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Gee, sure is lucky this new Coronavirus variant (that has been known about for a few weeks now) has become a big enough deal that Boris doesn't have to u-turn on his previous "Christmas will not be cancelled and will be loosened" message without a good reason. Funny how that keeps happening for him, luckiest guy in the world.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TACD posted:

lol I hadn’t even thought of this

Lorry drivers heading to EU face ham sandwich ban

Though presumably after waiting in a queue for a week the drivers won’t have any of their own food left and will instead be surviving on emergency rations handed out by aid organisations

Oh yeah, hook this poo poo up to my veins. I want the new year to roll in with a trucker getting in a fistfight over a ham sandwich. I can't wait to see what other poo poo people get pulled up on that just fucks everything up, but has been EU law for decades and was a known quantity before we even left.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So... am I not going to be able to travel home? Are they banning trains home for Christmas?

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This coronavirus variant stuff is a bullshit excuse made up by the government for why they’ve let another surge happen, right?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1212679425629859840?s=20

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Oh, I'm sure it's real enough, it's just not the reason why they're now frantically tightening the rules up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Josef bugman posted:

So... am I not going to be able to travel home? Are they banning trains home for Christmas?

There'll still be trains and whatever they announce will be totally ignored because everyone's already bought all of their food, presents and booze.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Kinda expect that they're going to ban travelling home for christmas, then do nothing to stop it, thus leaving the onus entirely on the individual as ever.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

will this be what finally causes the tories to get a proper drop in polling lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Comrade Fakename posted:

This coronavirus variant stuff is a bullshit excuse made up by the government for why they’ve let another surge happen, right?

Sort of ... mutations have been observed for the entire pandemic (remember back in March people were tracking different clusters around europe based on whether it was the OG Wuhan version or the Italian mutation?).

The reporting about this one right now is very much just a convenient scapegoat for the Gov though, yes.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

This is the sort of thing that I would expect a reasonable government to do given the situation (though a reasonable government would have taken steps to make sure we didn't get to this situation).

As such, I am amazed that this government is considering it.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Basically- while there's probably a mutated variant spreading, it's unlikely that that mutation actually has a meaningful human scale effect on either infectivity or deadlyness

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/DanielEales/status/1338498815150727173?s=20

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Comrade Fakename posted:

a new and terrifying variant which somehow spreads between people who aren't in pubs. heavens preserve us, we never saw this coming

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jose posted:

will this be what finally causes the tories to get a proper drop in polling lol

he is just trailing LAB with a time delay again

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1340012760176996353

unless Farage's new vehicle becomes a lot more relevant, it'll be hard for CON to really see any hits from it. Where are they going to go?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's the anti-lockdown Reform Party thing right?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

CGI Stardust posted:

a new and terrifying variant which somehow spreads between people who aren't in pubs. heavens preserve us, we never saw this coming

More insidious: it spreads even if you're eating a meal with your pint.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Anyone else get an email from that volunteer responders thing asking them to volunteer to give COVID vaccines? How the gently caress do they think that's going to work?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/TypingOfTheRed/status/1340306804673294337?s=19

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anyone else get an email from that volunteer responders thing asking them to volunteer to give COVID vaccines? How the gently caress do they think that's going to work?
Bring back the peace gun imo.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Maybe it's a brexit announcement "I have a piece of paper" not a covid announcement?

Got my 8 weeks rations sorted anyway (just waiting for the dried veg to arrive in the post and got a few more bottles of water to get in). Flour and oil separate. Each crate is 2 weeks worth.

Most of it came from Home Bargains or amalgamated existing supplies from end of 2018 brexocalypse so not outrageously expensive.
My plan is to revolve it to keep a steady 8 weeks in as far as possible and add freshies when possible.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 19, 2020

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Hello my name is Firstname Bunchofnumbers and I have some incredibly leaked opionions

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Bobstar posted:

Hello my name is Firstname Bunchofnumbers and I have some incredibly leaked opionions

Apparently she's a Times hack who's lost the password for her main account. Which... yeah.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Lobster God posted:

Apparently she's a Times hack who's lost the password for her main account. Which... yeah.

What are the chances the strong of numbers are either a phone number or a password for something else? (Note: I don't remember how many digits a UK phone number has)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

What are the chances the strong of numbers are either a phone number or a password for something else? (Note: I don't remember how many digits a UK phone number has)

They're assigned by Twitter, it's the standard format for usernames if you sign up from a mobile. The numbers aren't sequential but they're also not (that anyone knows) tied to any other piece of info you give to Twitter.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's the string of random numbers twitter generates as a suggested username if you try to put in a name already in use

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

This is a classic leak hard, row back announcement strategy. Tier 4 will only be parts of London, South East and probably not much at all of East Anglia and will be applauded as the sensible and tolerable middle way.

Rather than a damning failure of the government to bring the virus under control for over 8 months.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Party Boat posted:

It's the string of random numbers twitter generates as a suggested username if you try to put in a name already in use

Or so she would have us believe.

e: If you convert the numbers to their corresponding letters in the alphabet you get fdgbcegb. Or from hexadecimal it's dr5r. Someone crack this code, quick.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 19, 2020

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
It could be a phone number for somewhere in the middle of Devon but it more likely just a random string

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Party Boat posted:

Yeah, I was going to say "careful, you'll set off the Twisto-alarm", but too late! :v:

As he will tell you, being a Firstname Bunchofnumbers account doesn't make somebody a "bot", but it can suggest (especially along with no picture) either a low-effort troll who doesn't care about their account, or a burner account of someone who expects to get banned, so the evergreen tweet I was paraphrasing still holds up.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe it's a brexit announcement "I have a piece of paper" not a covid announcement?

Got my 8 weeks rations sorted anyway (just waiting for the dried veg to arrive in the post and got a few more bottles of water to get in). Flour and oil separate. Each crate is 2 weeks worth.

Most of it came from Home Bargains or amalgamated existing supplies from end of 2018 brexocalypse so not outrageously expensive.
My plan is to revolve it to keep a steady 8 weeks in as far as possible and add freshies when possible.

Lovely job. :bravo:

Living mostly on tinned food was a real downer after a while for myself, i found spuds & onions can keep well in a cool spot, put them in separate cardboard boxes or they can ripen each other.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

At the risk of stealing Jose's job... Lol

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1340325089217294337

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Late, again.

Sometimes I wonder what the delays are for. Surely they can't still be figuring out the policy.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

More insidious: it spreads even if you're eating a meal with your pint.

This is truly frightening and I hope this dangerous strain doesn't make it to America.

We have the one that doesn't spread in bars as long as they have menus out for the food truck down the street.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

EvilHawk posted:

Late, again.

Sometimes I wonder what the delays are for. Surely they can't still be figuring out the policy.

Hair ruffling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

EvilHawk posted:

Late, again.

It's got to be some sad tactic to make him look busy and important. He's probably the sort of oval office who turns up to meetings late on purpose too.