Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Stryder posted:

That's great! Congrats on getting it finished! The final product looks awesome. :D

FYI, there's some weird glitch around 9:08.

Thank you! And yeah I know. We had to rush it out for Halloween.

Is okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spook-A-Doodle Bracketology II is coming January 1st!

Bracketology is ostensibly a 64 Director tournament pitting random films of theirs against each other to name a top director, but really its just a giant movie club where we all expose each other to films outside our bubbles and watch them at relatively the same time so we can discuss them.

Right now people are voting to determine which of the 113 nominated Directors/Teams will make the Field of 64! 21 have voted. All are welcome! Even if you don't want to play along with us, don't understand "bracketology", don't want to be part of our movie club, or what you're still free to enforce your will and make sure the right directors get in and the "posers" don't make it.

The first 8 seeds were chosen and the conferences and divisions have been announced.
Tokyo Conference: #1 Takashi Miike in the Champions Division, #2 Shinya Tsukamoto in the Rookies Division.
Doubles Conference: #1 Agents Provocateur (Brian DePalma & Paul Verhoeven) in the Disco & Dystopia Division, #2 Team Lankins (Christopher Landon and Oz Perkins) in the Prairie & Psychos Division.
Italian Conference: #1 Dario Argentio in Giallo Division, #2 Mario Bava in Gothic Division.
American Slasher Conference: #1 John Carpenter in Haddonfield Division, #2 Wes Craven in Springwood Division.

Voting will stay open until December 26th. Merry Christmas!

https://forms.gle/hjfMd7rELHFc77hCA

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

:spooky: Sunday Chill Stream :spooky:
:rip: Only on the CineD Discord :rip:

All times in EST and may not reflect reality

0830 Cat Soup (2001)
0900 Stage Door(1937)
1040 A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014)
1230 Mind Game (2004)
1425 Swiss Army Man (2016)
1615 Let The Corpses Tan (2017)
1755 :spooky: ??? :spooky: (1994)
1855 From Beyond (1986)
2030 Taxi Driver (1976)
2235 You and The Night (2013)
0015 Symbol (2009)

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Anyone watch the Creepshow special yet

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

Is there a new Christmas one? Or are you just talking about the animated one they released earlier?

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Zwabu posted:

Is there a new Christmas one? Or are you just talking about the animated one they released earlier?

There’s a new Christmas special that just dropped today. It’s got Anna Camp and Adam Pally and I think it’s about mall Santas who hunt werewolves

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Benito Cereno posted:

There’s a new Christmas special that just dropped today. It’s got Anna Camp and Adam Pally and I think it’s about mall Santas who hunt werewolves

Those are all things I like!

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Benito Cereno posted:

I literally just finished watching it. I enjoyed it

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

ReapersTouch posted:

I literally just finished watching it. I enjoyed it

Is it animated like the last one or live action like the show?

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Is it animated like the last one or live action like the show?

Live action

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In the American remake she's like 12.

e:
A very rare case of an American remake of a Japanese story aging a character down instead of up

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 19, 2020

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Huh, I'm not sure I get The Love Witch. Is it just supposed to be a genuine attempt at making an obscure and not that great 70s witch horror type movie? I can totally respect that because it's a spectacular success in that regard, but am I missing something?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

married but discreet posted:

Huh, I'm not sure I get The Love Witch. Is it just supposed to be a genuine attempt at making an obscure and not that great 70s witch horror type movie? I can totally respect that because it's a spectacular success in that regard, but am I missing something?

I think you're mostly correct I would just disagree with the "not great" part. But you wouldn't be the only one who feels that way, the thread was somewhat split on it at the time, if I remember correctly.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I like it but it's 90% aesthetic and 10% content. I respect what it was doing but I'll take something like In Fabric all day over that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It's a hell of an aesthetic though. And Samantha Robinson's presence is legitimately hypnotic, I'm surprised she hasn't broken through in a bigger way since then.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I saw The Love Witch in the theater and was totally ready to love it. Unfortunately it missed the mark for me. Here's my Letterboxd review:

quote:

Anna Biller has crafted a loving visual tribute to Italian films of the 60s and 70s. The colors, art direction, lighting and camerawork are all spot on. She really nailed it. Samantha Robinson is the perfect talent for the kinds of glamorous closeups in line with this style.

But while the movie is visually top-notch, it has a lot of problems. First and foremost is the muddled script. The narrative is disastrously uneven. We jump from subplot to subplot, with some segments (such as the nightclub scene) feeling like something out of a different movie. The film's individual parts feel disparate from one another. The result is a rather tedious experience. With a running time of two hours, the film overstays its welcome. It's in desperate need of some serious edits.

The movie is ostensibly a satire, but there are problems with this aspect as well. The best way I can describe the satirical nature of the movie is unfocused. Sometimes it feels like it's poking fun at the stilted acting and gaudy styles of the films after which it's modeled, but other times it feels genuinely silly. The effect is disorienting. An example: the actress who plays Elaine's friend Barbara - her acting is atrocious; one might assume this is intentional, but I'm really not sure. It's just confusing.

While I love the ambition and passion that clearly went into this, I feel that Biller probably should have had some more chefs in the kitchen. Specifically a more meticulous screenwriter and a liberal editor. Tighter, leaner and more adept in its satire, this could have been something really great.

2.5/5

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

FreudianSlippers posted:

In the American remake she's like 12.

e:
A very rare case of an American remake of a Japanese story aging a character down instead of up

Wrong thread?

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The Love Witch is basically The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra but for a different genre/era and with fewer jokes/minute. It did not work well for me but I can certainly see why some people like it.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
The Love Witch didn't feel like satire or parody to me. It's in this weird zone where it feels like watching someone's wild dream after they saw Five Dolls for an August Moon or something. I took it sincerely and loved it.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

the Love Witch is visual dilaudid and i want it in my veins

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'd call it a "tribute" more than a "parody." I mean there definitely was a dry humor in it but mostly it just seems more about recreating something earnestly. Just with some self awareness about what's too silly to not laugh at.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tarnop posted:

Wrong thread?

I think so. Which thread had the Jason/Sadako slash fiction?

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think so. Which thread had the Jason/Sadako slash fiction?

The October thread, but really it could be every thread if you dream hard enough :allears:

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Origami Dali posted:

The Love Witch didn't feel like satire or parody to me. It's in this weird zone where it feels like watching someone's wild dream after they saw Five Dolls for an August Moon or something. I took it sincerely and loved it.

Kinda like how Tarantino made an actual 70s exploitation film with Death Proof. A couple of action scenes for the trailer and the rest of the movie is just people sitting around talking?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Last night I watched Day of the Beast and Two Front Teeth and I just want to say, that was a really fun and weird Christmas horror night. Day of the Beast is a much better film and I think an absolute recommend for anyone looking for a horror movie that is both Christmasy and like the exact opposite of "Christmas spirit." And Two Front Teeth is just a cheap, bad film but its such a weird and committed attempt to turn "Christmas spirit" into something demented and weird that it works. Its also made by the guy who wrote WNUF Halloween Special, which I know is a favorite in here.

I've had a really good Christmas horror season unlike last year. Krampus, A Nasty Piece of Work, Dial Code Santa Claus, Treevenge, even P2. All been good Christmas horror movies in some way or another.

PeterCat posted:

Kinda like how Tarantino made an actual 70s exploitation film with Death Proof. A couple of action scenes for the trailer and the rest of the movie is just people sitting around talking?

I mean, isn't that kind of Tarantino's thing?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

STAC Goat posted:

I mean, isn't that kind of Tarantino's thing?

Usually his thing is to make a "good" version or pastiche of those types of films, but Death Proof really felt closer to a vintage 70s flick like Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary or something more low budget than his normal work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xE-68P4ao

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

PeterCat posted:

Usually his thing is to make a "good" version or pastiche of those types of films, but Death Proof really felt closer to a vintage 70s flick like Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary or something more low budget than his normal work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0xE-68P4ao

Dirty Larry, Crazy Mary is great. I remember watching that on TV as a kid and being utterly amazed by the car chases.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/_danbe/status/1340104148520452103

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

:hmmyes:

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

:thunk:

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In closing:
Chopping Mall is a land of contrasts.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
New Years Evil is a blast guys....

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

If I kicked you from the CineD Discord for not muting your mic, feel free to rejoin :)

https://discord.gg/swHPvuC

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

So, I watched Songbird today. Do not pay for this movie unless you are a chud.

That said, once you look past the shameless pandering it does to anti-maskers and conservatives on the general, it was more entertaining than I expected it to be.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can we talk about Hunter Hunter? It's got elements of a great movie and one hell of an ending (or, I should clarify, a great ending scene) but to me, none of the pieces fit together at all. Not in a "what a twist" way, but the movie switches gears so many times that it's impossible to nail down. There's probably at least one good movie out of all the ideas it puts forth but never develops any of them.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I watched Krampus today. I know there's more than one, this is the one with Toni Collette and Adam Scott. I really liked it. I went in with really low expectations and was pleasantly surprised.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah it's got a good Gremlins kinda feel. It's a rad little flick, I want more of that kinda thing.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Can we talk about Hunter Hunter? It's got elements of a great movie and one hell of an ending (or, I should clarify, a great ending scene) but to me, none of the pieces fit together at all. Not in a "what a twist" way, but the movie switches gears so many times that it's impossible to nail down. There's probably at least one good movie out of all the ideas it puts forth but never develops any of them.

Spoiler me: Is it a movie about hunters who hunt other hunters?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mike Dougherty gets holidays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

Spoiler me: Is it a movie about hunters who hunt other hunters?

Sort of, it's ostensibly about people being terrorized by a wolf but it becomes something else.