Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

E/N Warning: I’m in a bit of a cold period right now after I told my partner that I didn’t want to see their family over the break. They are travelling in from the hotspot of our province (~6 cases a day) and everyone seems to be willing to risk it in order to be together for the holidays. I feel like a huge rear end in a top hat, but this feels like the smart thing to do(?)...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Professor Shark posted:

E/N Warning: I’m in a bit of a cold period right now after I told my partner that I didn’t want to see their family over the break. They are travelling in from the hotspot of our province (~6 cases a day) and everyone seems to be willing to risk it in order to be together for the holidays. I feel like a huge rear end in a top hat, but this feels like the smart thing to do(?)...

they're either mentally incapable of being rational or are being huge assholes who don't care that their actions will murder people they don't even know

you're perfectly fine, sorry to hear about your christmas and i hope you make it through ok

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Dec 19, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Professor Shark posted:

Have both groups been strictly isolating for at least a week, preferably longer? Did they drive immediately to your area without stopping anywhere? Have you all had 2 covid tests just before they arrived? If the answer to any of those is 'no' then that's a hard pass, for their sake as well as yours.

There's a ton of stories of families who decided to meet up "just for a little while" for "a bit of normalcy" because "everyone has been careful and we'll socially distance outside anyway" and the entire family came down with covid.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
This is definitively the year where everyone in my family being lukewarm and distant with one another pays dividends. There's just zero impetus to have a get-together as such has only ever been a reluctant going through the motions to keep up with societal expectations. I'm sure this had nothing to do with my difficulty forming deep connections with people.

As for "algorithms", the term is often dubiously thrown around as just a modern equivalent of a dousing rod. Executive A wants to see Policy B without personally taking responsibility? Tell everyone the magical secret algorithm chose it! An authoritarian government's secret police want to justify the arrest a known dissident? Tell everyone the magical secret algorithm identified them commiting a crime even though they were only a 5-pixel blob on the recording!

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
Update! Now posting from a tier 4 hotspot.

Looks like our mutant strain of supercovid has spooked the UK gov enough they've just cancelled Christmas for a good portion of the country

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...llions-12167367

Edit: up to "70% more transmissible"

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 19, 2020

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
Yeah and this is already everywhere in the UK so enjoy it, rest of world!
e: not more dangerous, but more transmissible, so will overwhelm hospitals more easily etc.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Xaintrailles posted:

Yeah and this is already everywhere in the UK so enjoy it, rest of world!
e: not more dangerous, but more transmissible, so will overwhelm hospitals more easily etc.

Engage TURBO MODE

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is that the mink strain or some other mutation?

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

ymgve posted:

Is that the mink strain or some other mutation?

Not the mink one as far as I can tell.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Here's a twitter thread about it:
https://twitter.com/BillHanage/status/1340332564721053696
https://twitter.com/BillHanage/status/1340334680143519744
https://twitter.com/BillHanage/status/1340336235890552834
https://twitter.com/BillHanage/status/1340341578670497793

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

My wife told me this morning that her friend who is a VA hospital worker was offered the vaccine and refused, claiming that it's 'not effective enough' and that she will 'probably wait a couple of years to get it'

What is wrong with this loving country

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the feedback, goons. Feeling pretty down today, like I'm responsible for the virus for some reason.

mr_jolly
Aug 20, 2003

Not so jolly now
There's been 17 cases of the new variant detected in Scotland apparently so yeah, it sounds like this thing is already spreading.

Also cases in Wales. The country, not the things in the ocean.

mr_jolly fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 19, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Well, a bunch of elderly people in Quebec long term care homes that were infected in spring/summer and survived have been confirmed as being re-infected yesterday, so the good news is Trump might still die to COVID.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

mr_jolly posted:

There's been 17 cases of the new variant detected in Scotland apparently so yeah, it sounds like this thing is already spreading.

Eugh.

A bump of 0.5 or more to R0 is kinda freaky.

Bear in mind that the proportion of susceptible individuals needs to be reduced to below 1/R0 in order for a disease to eradicated. As R0 goes up, so does your percentage of population that must be vaccinated.

Edit: Fuuck combine that with a short immunity windows and suddenly this is going to be very challenging to get rid of..

Blitter fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 19, 2020

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Blitter posted:

Eugh.

A bump of 0.5 or more to R0 is kinda freaky.

Bear in mind that the proportion of susceptible individuals needs to be reduced to below 1/R0 in order for a disease to eradicated. As R0 goes up, so does your percentage of population that must be vaccinated.

Edit: Fuuck combine that with a short immunity windows and suddenly this is going to be very challenging to get rid of..

I think it's pretty clear now this isn't something we'll be getting rid of, covid shots every year or so will just be the new normal like flu shots are. Maybe in time it'll mutate into something more spready but less kill-y and we can treat it like a cold.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Sweden just started new measures

1. No sale of alcohol after 8pm (in restaurants and bars)

2. Rule-of-four in restaurants (no more than four in a party)

3. Cap on number of people in shops, gyms and malls (which has yet to be determined officially, and the health department is trying to urge stores to not do the between Xmas and NYE days sales. Is there an official legal consequence attached to this? Hell if I know, hell if any of us know.)

4. Online teaching to continue for over-16s

5. Non-essential public services told to close (so like public pools, museums, libraries - non essential public services. Applies until Jan 24)

6. Face masks on public transport (which I’ll copy what thelocal.se is saying as it outlines it succinctly

“The Public Health Agency will issue recommendations for face masks at certain times on public transport. These guidelines will state what times and what kind of masks are recommended, and will be issued before many return to work on January 7th after the Christmas holidays. Public transport operators will be told to inform travellers of the guidelines and be able to provide free face masks to passengers who don't have them.”

These are recommendations but in the Swedish legal sense which means not quite a law or ordinance but you should do it. Punitive measures have not been mentioned and who knows, based on how other recommendations have gone uh, :shrug: )

7. Everyone who can should work from home (applies to public and private sector. As mentioned in my prior posts, this uh, means nothing. At all. I brought my work laptop home with me, but I wouldn’t be shocked if I was still going back in after my holiday break.)

This is an interview in English with Lena Hallgren, the Sweden’s Health Minister and I’m hoping she responded in English and maybe just used weird words or it was translated poorly because uh.

https://www.thelocal.se/20201218/lena-hallengren-its-not-a-fact-that-if-you-just-close-whatever-you-can-you-get-rid-of-the-virus

quote:

When my colleague at The Local interviewed you in May, you said that you wouldn't have wanted to have imposed a lockdown, even if you could have done. I wondered if that's still the case?

I think, really, "what is a lockdown?"

It won't be possible to tell people working at hospitals, in the health care sector, in elderly care homes, in pharmacies, in grocery stores, teachers, preschool teachers, to stay at home. You have the police, you have fire workers, you have lots of people, who are not able to just stay at home.

What we're trying to do all the time is say, "if you can work at home, please do that". If you're an employer, make sure that your employees can stay at home.

So, we're trying to say that our society has to still be functioning. And at the same time, we're trying to really close or limit different sectors of society, take a look at sports, the cultural events, all the places where people meet.

So I think all this discussion of "lockdown", I don't really agree with the debate. I think it's a way to try to say, "we're doing one thing and you're doing something else".

But we're closing down or limiting lots of our sectors.

Like what is a lockdown?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

gay picnic defence posted:

I think it's pretty clear now this isn't something we'll be getting rid of, covid shots every year or so will just be the new normal like flu shots are. Maybe in time it'll mutate into something more spready but less kill-y and we can treat it like a cold.
Which is pretty much what happened with Spanish Flu

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

FlamingLiberal posted:

My wife told me this morning that her friend who is a VA hospital worker was offered the vaccine and refused, claiming that it's 'not effective enough' and that she will 'probably wait a couple of years to get it'

What is wrong with this loving country

Dunning Kruger / Expert syndrome. It oddly enough happens a lot with people with just enough knowledge to be dangerous eg anti-vax nurses which seems to be a thing.

Chocobo posted:

Well, a bunch of elderly people in Quebec long term care homes that were infected in spring/summer and survived have been confirmed as being re-infected yesterday, so the good news is Trump might still die to COVID.

link? this is huge if true.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Professor Shark posted:

E/N Warning: I’m in a bit of a cold period right now after I told my partner that I didn’t want to see their family over the break.

My advice is to come up with a nice way of saying this. I said that I don't want anyone to have to experience a visit to a hospital full of covid with no available beds. That includes all the reasons one might need to go to a hospital because of travel.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Professor Shark posted:

My extended family is doing the same thing and if I skip it I miss my dying mother's last Christmas

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

mr_jolly posted:

When I was a kid I definitely thought British royalty had claimed dominion over whales, lol.

I guess that one that swam up the Thames was subject to British rule, momentarily.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Animal-Mother posted:

When I was a kid I definitely thought British royalty had claimed dominion over whales, lol.

I guess that one that swam up the Thames was subject to British rule, momentarily.

Wales isn't a real country, it's just west england

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I-

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Any countries that are going to require vaccination to get in, and how are they going to enforce it ?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

FlamingLiberal posted:

Which is pretty much what happened with Spanish Flu
Was that the first major human-infecting H1N1?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

Any countries that are going to require vaccination to get in, and how are they going to enforce it ?

CDC card / mark of the beast, according to people on my facebook

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The really rich smart ones have already taken the vaccine
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1340005970362155009

phew, was worried he'd miss out!!!!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

mr_jolly posted:

Has anyone checked on the whales? I bet those big boys could send up some impressive virus laden plumes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

unpacked robinhood posted:

They'll scan the tracking chip that was implanted when the person was ' vaccinated' and use that to determine if you're now at the whim and command of the lizard people.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

It just occurred to me that the school snow day probably died of covid this year. from now on unless everyone's power is out they'll just do class remotely. Poor kids.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

poverty goat posted:

It just occurred to me that the school snow day probably died of covid this year. from now on unless everyone's power is out they'll just do class remotely. Poor kids.

Yeah, that's what Seattle Public Schools is doing:

https://www.seattleschools.org/district/calendars/news/what_s_new/weather_response

I grew up in Florida so to me it just makes sense since I have no concept of a snow day. I had one hurricane day in high school and we had to hunker down because a hurricane was headed our way.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

Wales isn't a real country, it's just west england

Scotland is north England, north England is the midlands, the west country accent is now just Brummie, London is the Far East.

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Essex is just rural London

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Have any of you (in the USA) started figuring out when and where to get a vaccine next year? My wife is probably medium risk, but we are not sure how that translates into a place in line. I don't wanna make a doc appt and pay the copay just to ask a dumb question.

I guess after the medical workers and nursing homes are done, there'll be some kind of national rollout plan? Maybe we have to wait for Biden for this to be announced?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

smoobles posted:

I guess after the medical workers and nursing homes are done, there'll be some kind of national rollout plan? Maybe we have to wait for Biden for this to be announced?

lol

naem
May 29, 2011

smoobles posted:

Have any of you (in the USA) started figuring out when and where to get a vaccine next year? My wife is probably medium risk, but we are not sure how that translates into a place in line. I don't wanna make a doc appt and pay the copay just to ask a dumb question.

it’s going to be a complete and utter useless fart-fest in which millions needlessly die

wesleywillis posted:

They'll scan the tracking chip that was implanted when the person was ' vaccinated' and use that to determine if you're now at the whim and command of the lizard people.

that’s silly the lizard people rule us already

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

It'll pretty much be a free for all. The rich are already getting vaccinated now. If you have decent healthcare you'll probably just have to schedule it with your provider. If you don't have decent healthcare you'll be waiting in very long lines at a public vaccination site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

smoobles posted:

My prediction is that after Jan 20 the GOP senate won't allow a vote on any enabling legislation, and when Biden tries to do a rollout via executive order some chud will get it overturned in court.