Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

Same flight, sometimes next to each other. Sometimes not. No one really cares as long as everyone is close enough that we’re not waiting on one person to clear customs. I put in molded IEMs and no one is going to be able to bother me anyways, and if they did I’d have no problem being politely direct and telling them.

We have a group message thread, sometimes with the client, where people share breakfast times / dinner plans etc. free to join or not, no one is butthurt. If you want to do something solo you just go and do it.

yeah this is pretty well how we roll, sometimes dinner is mandatory if its more of a working session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Gabriel S. posted:

I really wonder how this is going work out for anti-vaxxxers when they found out that nearly every Country from the UK to even Mexico won't let them visit until they get their shots!

They will buy fake papers.

Like they already do now. You can buy negative PCR test results easily.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Blockchain sounds a good case for vaccination verification. I suspect places in the Caribbean will require testing along with popular spots in Mexico.

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1333837048491421701?s=20

I really wonder how this will turn out, I think it'll drop by a quarter but I think that'll more so due to the recession than remote work. Commercial travel even with upgrades isn't that pleasant to begin with in the first place and with credit cards handing out free upgrades, everyone has an upgrade.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.

Gabriel S. posted:

Blockchain sounds a good case for vaccination verification.

Why do we need a new slow and expensive database to query just for vaccinations? Who is going to run a global distributed vaccine database and integrate every healthcare provider on the planet to be able to register administered vaccines? Do we get every country to agree to a data standard, or should everyone run their own vaccinechain?

What will probably happen is countries will demand vaccine information before allowing people to enter and tell the airlines to figure it out (Ex: US will start requiring it as part of APIS information pre-departure). At best, some countries may set standards around electronic health records and require providers to have a method for passengers to give airlines access in a way that is better than "upload a picture of your doctor's note". The technology part of this problem is very simple, integrating the world's healthcare, airline, and immigration organizations is the unworkably complex and expensive part for what benefit, keeping a few anti-vaxxers off airplanes?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

blockchain still a solution in desperate need of a problem

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Feel to correct me here but I'm under the impression blockchain could be used to implement chain-of-custody making it impossible or extremely difficult to show fake vaccinations, test results or better yet health records.

I'm just being raw about and it's not about anti-vaxxers necessarily but preventing the spread of the virus whoever that might be. That is important but it does raise a good point given we have a vaccine - what's the point of going through this whole process although who the hell knows how long it's going to take to distribute billions of doses.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

You're presuming that falsifying vaccination records is a big problem that needs a complex, expensive technical solution. It isn't and it doesn't.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Still lolling at a blockchain “solution” to anything, does Gabe S work for IBM or something.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Gabriel S. posted:

Feel to correct me here but I'm under the impression blockchain could be used to implement chain-of-custody making it impossible or extremely difficult to show fake vaccinations, test results or better yet health records.

I'm just being raw about and it's not about anti-vaxxers necessarily but preventing the spread of the virus whoever that might be. That is important but it does raise a good point given we have a vaccine - what's the point of going through this whole process although who the hell knows how long it's going to take to distribute billions of doses.

You don't need chain of custody here. There's no need for some immutable ledger and record of what happened in the past, which is what blockchain gives you. All you need is the digital equivalent of a very hard-to-forge rubber stamp that's only given out to people who are trusted to administer the vaccine.

What you actually need, from a technology standpoint, is the ability to delegate signing authority (WHO -> national health authorities -> subnational authorities like states/provinces -> doctors or other authorized vaccine dispensers) and for doctors to use that authority to sign off on records that say "this person was vaccinated with this vaccine on this date." All that can be validated completely offline, as long as you have your own copy of the public component of the root WHO certificate. All the necessary data could be printed into a large-ish QR code.

That technology exists. In fact, you're using it to post right now; it's part of the TLS protocol that puts a little lock next to "forums.somethingawful.com" in your browser's address bar.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Gabriel S. posted:

Commercial travel even with upgrades isn't that pleasant to begin with in the first place and with credit cards handing out free upgrades, everyone has an upgrade.

Has there been some significant shift here lately? I don't think many cards actually do this aside from the Amex Centurion and maybe the Hilton Aspire, but then again I've never found Hilton Diamond to get me any significant upgrades anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Midjack posted:

Still lolling at a blockchain “solution” to anything, does Gabe S work for IBM or something.

I have but only through a partner. :smithicide:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Space Gopher posted:

You don't need chain of custody here. There's no need for some immutable ledger and record of what happened in the past, which is what blockchain gives you. All you need is the digital equivalent of a very hard-to-forge rubber stamp that's only given out to people who are trusted to administer the vaccine.

What you actually need, from a technology standpoint, is the ability to delegate signing authority (WHO -> national health authorities -> subnational authorities like states/provinces -> doctors or other authorized vaccine dispensers) and for doctors to use that authority to sign off on records that say "this person was vaccinated with this vaccine on this date." All that can be validated completely offline, as long as you have your own copy of the public component of the root WHO certificate. All the necessary data could be printed into a large-ish QR code.

That technology exists. In fact, you're using it to post right now; it's part of the TLS protocol that puts a little lock next to "forums.somethingawful.com" in your browser's address bar.

:holy: Mark of the Beast!!! Burn the witch!

Nobody is going to switch to signed certificates for vaccination records, even if it's not technically hard (although it is, even if just from a scaling out and standardization standpoint). Have you ever actually met a doctor in real life? It's a struggle to even get them to enter a 4 digit pin every time they walk up to their computer.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Space Gopher posted:

:words:

Ugh. Sounds like I've ate into into the hype and this has always been around. Thanks for the explanation.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Small White Dragon posted:

Has there been some significant shift here lately? I don't think many cards actually do this aside from the Amex Centurion and maybe the Hilton Aspire, but then again I've never found Hilton Diamond to get me any significant upgrades anyway.

AMEX has had a Delta branded card for years now easily giving anyone who takes a dozen or so trips a year an easy silver status and whatever else. Even before COVID I thought they were pretty decent but it quickly became popular.

Arzakon
Nov 24, 2002

"I hereby retire from Mafia"
Please turbo me if you catch me in a game.
That only works if you make sure the data entered is good. If the dude at Walgreens stabbing you with a needle fucks up his data entry or someone slips him a $20 to lie, welp. Blockchain would allow us to verify something was entered and hasn’t been changed, which isn’t a feature anyone gives a poo poo about.

edit: drat I eat a sandwich and the thread moved faster than ever before. Are we all tech industry business travelers triggered by dumb buzzwords?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Nobody is going to switch to signed certificates for vaccination records, even if it's not technically hard (although it is, even if just from a scaling out and standardization standpoint). Have you ever actually met a doctor in real life? It's a struggle to even get them to enter a 4 digit pin every time they walk up to their computer.

Sorry, I’m too busy changing my twenty passwords that all have different complexity requirements and dates that they expire, courtesy of my special snowflake IT department that works on its own timetable.

lol, a password manager?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Residency Evil posted:

Sorry, I’m too busy changing my twenty passwords that all have different complexity requirements and dates that they expire, courtesy of my special snowflake IT department that works on its own timetable.

lol, a password manager?

FIDO Keys are a gift from God.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Gabriel S. posted:

Blockchain sounds a good case for vaccination verification.

lol funny joke

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Arzakon posted:

Are we all tech industry business travelers triggered by dumb buzzwords?

This could be FlyerTalk and we could have massive thread about how airlines freaking horrible monsters by switching to plastic cutlery :haw:

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

KillHour posted:

Every vaccine record or paperwork is going to be treated like the mark of the beast. That's one of the reasons the world should be thinking about how to create a verifiable record of vaccination - otherwise, anti-vaxxers, religious crazies, and lunatic right-wingers in general will just buy forged paperwork from some guy on Facebook who bought a counterfeit stamp and a box of yellow cards on aliexpress.

Any electronic record is going to have a lot of problems with doctors who aren't familiar with technology, standards, and scaling. Believe me, I've met plenty of doctors who think they know more than they do about technology. But the comparison here isn't paper records - it's the blockchain proposal, which would be even more difficult to implement, harder to scale, and at least as hard to use at the point of vaccination. Blockchain is a bad idea and there are simpler ways to get any benefit that's claimed to come with a blockchain-based vaccine record.

(in practice, if IATA ships anything, they'll probably use ordinary digital signatures and cert chains, and claim that it's blockchain because crypto magic. It's not like the people promoting ~blockchain solutions~ would be able to tell the difference)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gabriel S. posted:

AMEX has had a Delta branded card for years now easily giving anyone who takes a dozen or so trips a year an easy silver status and whatever else. Even before COVID I thought they were pretty decent but it quickly became popular.

FO is not a status tier that gets upgrades unless you're on some random Wednesday morning low density RJ flight

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Gabriel S. posted:

FIDO Keys are a gift from God.

We use 2fa. Now we only have the other 2/3rds of passwords to deal with!

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

FO is not a status tier that gets upgrades unless you're on some random Wednesday morning low density RJ flight

Yea lollin at the idea of silver getting you anything besides more miles, and occasionally comfort plus on non-peak flights

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

like u are called a Flying Orchid in the system still so uh what do you expect

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Space Gopher posted:

Every vaccine record or paperwork is going to be treated like the mark of the beast. That's one of the reasons the world should be thinking about how to create a verifiable record of vaccination - otherwise, anti-vaxxers, religious crazies, and lunatic right-wingers in general will just buy forged paperwork from some guy on Facebook who bought a counterfeit stamp and a box of yellow cards on aliexpress.

We used to have this for smallpox :)

(for those of you too young to have or know anyone with this, it used to leave a round circular scar on your upper arm at the injection site)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Motronic posted:

We used to have this for smallpox :)

(for those of you too young to have or know anyone with this, it used to leave a round circular scar on your upper arm at the injection site)

It was briefly in vogue again in the Iraq War II era when there was tubthumping about Iraq having biological weapons so there are some younger veterans with the distinctive scar.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

The Big Jesus posted:

Yea lollin at the idea of silver getting you anything besides more miles, and occasionally comfort plus on non-peak flights

I mean status is status? :shrug:

All the cc companies partnering with airlines certainly gave way too many perks from my perspective. I used to almost always be part of the early boarding group now it seems that everyone else is there too and they're not even frequent travelers just folks who took the cc deal and used it for a cheaper trip.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Gabriel S. posted:

we already know how to do unforgeable chain of custody with chained certificate signatures. this is, in fact, how all encryption works on the web. blockchain is stupid. all it does is replace publically attested certificates with pseudo anonymous certificates (which you probably don't want to trust, if we are being honest) at the cost of a lot of orders of magnitude of complexity and cost

edit: sorry i saw "blockchain" and entered a fugue state and was unable to resist posting

the talent deficit fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 3, 2020

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So AA is sent me 3 500 mile certs as a promotion. Being Plat Pro those are kind of limited in utility for me. But there are apparently there are other things they are giving away to various elites.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thomamelas posted:

So AA is sent me 3 500 mile certs as a promotion. Being Plat Pro those are kind of limited in utility for me. But there are apparently there are other things they are giving away to various elites.

I got 4 :v:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
I got 2 as a lowly gold. They'll go nicely with the 47 I already have that I can never use at the bottom of the poo poo list.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

FunOne posted:

I got 2 as a lowly gold. They'll go nicely with the 47 I already have that I can never use at the bottom of the poo poo list.

Same. I bet I can use them on MKE-ORD, but I doubt they have a lot of utility beyond that, especially in the After Times™. That said, it's a pretty clear ploy to beef up Q1 bookings so we'll see how that works out for them.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

So there thing yesterday said three but four ended up in my account. Giving me 7 I don't need.

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
Delta is straight up ignoring their aisle seat policy on regional jets to make holiday money (95% normal capacity) and will gently remind people who are coughing to wear their mask an indefinite number of times with no consequence. I'm very glad I busted out an N95 I had from work c. 2019 and shaved off my beard. I'm refusing to travel by air at this point unless a major plant is going to be totally non-operational without someone there asap or if someone is likely to die.

On the plus side a flight attendant was like yeah, the dude you're next to is obviously grody as gently caress and wiping his face and poo poo after licking his hand (?) after 30 seconds of being seated, feel free to sit anywhere else, I don't blame you.

corn haver fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Dec 20, 2020

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
AA denied my miles from a recent trip to Taiwan on Cathay. :negative:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

This is a nightmare.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/united-cdc-death-man-flight-florida-74810741

quote:

United Airlines has given information about other passengers to federal health officials after a man who possibly had coronavirus-like symptoms died shortly after being on a flight, the airline said Friday.

The coast-to-coast flight took off Monday from Orlando, Florida and was diverted to New Orleans because the man experienced a medical emergency on board.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention asked United for the passenger manifest so other passengers can be told that they might have been exposed to a disease, spokesman Charles Hobart said.

The passenger had filled out a form before the flight saying he had not tested positive for COVID-19 and had no symptoms of the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, according to the airline.

“It is apparent the passenger wrongly acknowledged this requirement,” United said.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I'm honestly more surprised it's taken this long for something like this to happen/hit the news.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Motronic posted:

I'm honestly more surprised it's taken this long for something like this to happen/hit the news.

People have been openly lieing about tests the whole time and posting about it after the fact on social media but that hasn't gotten much coverage. A guy dieing gets clicks.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Thoguh posted:

People have been openly lieing about tests the whole time and posting about it after the fact on social media

That’s depressing to think about. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

That’s depressing to think about. gently caress.

All the people who were assholes when you traveled before are still assholes, only now they have a fresh topic as an outlet for their assholery.