Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which lifepath will you take?
NOMAD (I like freedom)
STREET KID (I like the city)
CORPO (I like money)
I don't like labels
View Results

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Kawabata posted:

Yes but this is nothing new. They took 8 years to release a futuristic Witcher 3 with updated visuals, even more sex and the same mediocre gameplay. Of course I'll play it anyway, there's nothing wrong with Cyberpunk, but it's no lightning in a bottle.

They're not getting forgotten alright but not in the way you think. They don't have COD or dumb hats to compensate for a bad release either, they kind of had all their eggs in this basket and released an ok product (compared to expectations anyway) with a catastrophic launch. The devs are talented though and there is still time to make the game as good as it should have been on launch - in terms of gameplay, performance and bugs. I really hope they manage because the terrible launch is obviously not on them.

I guess that the thing, I don’t think that Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk have “mediocre gameplay.” The combat in both games has a good deal of variety and is fun and engaging. They’re not best in class in some respects, but still far higher on the list than most games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

hobbesmaster posted:

Sure, disco elysium doesn’t even have combat but does any game with a critical hit mechanic not want you to stack it?

The test isn't whether something is optimal, it's whether everything else is feasible. Disco Elysium is great not because it avoids combat but because every variant of gameplay / character build that you can choose essentially works and feels supported. A game that turns otherwise-decent combat into an unending slog because you didn't spec a specific way does not have well-designed combat.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Arkage posted:

This has got to be one of the most cynical, nonsensical hottakes of the thread I've seen so far.

To elaborate a bit more, they definitely nailed the atmosphere and the setting. The story seems alright so far. They are different games in many respect yes, but it's obvious they made the same mistakes (and many new ones!) with Cyberpunk. It's like, they're still great at what they do but it doesn't look like Witcher 3 taught them anything.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I really think someone should add "Get the double jump legs!" to the OP

It's such an amazing game changer

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

At least half the problem with Rope Kid's playthrough appears to be that 2077's difficulty slider is the half-assed kind that just adds hit points to enemies. Which is really bad, but also extremely common in twitch combat games. Mass Effect 2 did it and it's the best RPG of the last twenty years

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

PerilPastry posted:

I really think someone should add "Get the double jump legs!" to the OP

It's such an amazing game changer

that sort of discovery is cooler when you make it on your own, imo

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

At least half the problem with Rope Kid's playthrough appears to be that 2077's difficulty slider is the half-assed kind that just adds hit points to enemies. Which is really bad, but also extremely common in twitch combat games. Mass Effect 2 did it and it's the best RPG of the last twenty years

kind of baffled he's having issues. is he on very hard?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Rinkles posted:

Agreed. I’m close to 60 hours in, don’t have that leg mod, and I’m doing fine. It’ll be a cool thing to go fit in another play though maybe, but it’s absolutely not essential.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anyone know what's going on with this?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The gameplay is absolutely nothing like The Witcher what? Are you kidding me right now?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

A game that turns otherwise-decent combat into an unending slog because you didn't spec a specific way does not have well-designed combat.

The thing is though I'm having trouble thinking of any build where this is true unless you specifically only chose non combat perks (including no combat quickhack ones) and evenly leveled every attribute. Hell, I don't even think the last one matters as much seeing as my 6 Int V has a Shock that two hits most enemies and one hits droids.

Like every tree has a bunch of skills that just turn you into a blender by midgame whether through shooting crits, rapid blade strikes with bleeding, or hacks that can spread and make everyone's head explode.

I'm playing on Normal though. Is everyone saying it's bullet spongy playing on hard and up?

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

what I've been doing is ignoring enemies as much as I can and just running to the objective, which is more fun and also saves a lot of time

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

TescoBag posted:

Try checking for cool poo poo where the transmitter is pointing?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TescoBag posted:

might be a hint from some quest you haven't started. i come upon upon them all the time (feels like they shouldn't show up that way until you begin the quest)

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
I'm playing on very hard and I can kill any enemy in the game in 1 or 2 hits with a katana with zero points invested in the blade tree. This game really isn't hard.

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

I can't stop taking photos in this game.

I am enjoying myself a ton with this. I actually did a bit of VR with it! I used VorpX and my Quest 2 headset and spent some time walking around the city in first-person VR, which was awesome. Playing the game in that way was a bit rough and I found I got motion sick pretty fast, though. It's also incredibly hard on my PC and I had to turn down some settings, but seriously, seeing the city from a 55th floor rooftop in VR is a hell of an experience.

Harvey Baldman fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Dec 19, 2020

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Estraysian posted:

I'm playing on very hard and I can kill any enemy in the game in 1 or 2 hits with a katana with zero points invested in the blade tree. This game really isn't hard.

The only real difficulty comes from enemies too high level which just makes you unable to do any real damage to them. Fail poo poo frankly.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

it opens up new avenues of exploration with plenty of rewards in terms of both visuals and loot and makes navigating the city so easy you barely need to bother with the lackluster driving

and since the game seems to have very little replayability I really think people should get a chance to enjoy it on the best terms as early as possible :)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm playing on Normal though. Is everyone saying it's bullet spongy playing on hard and up?

i went to hard because normal was trivial. i'd go to very hard, but even on hard you're squishy enough for my taste

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I've played very hard as both a shotgun, punch, bat lady and a hacker man and while I went down really quickly if I wasn't careful while punching none of the enemies were particularly hardy unless orange or red skilled. I can imagine rifles might be a lot sloggier though. The shotgun skill that deals extra damage to prone enemies was pretty necessary.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
My shotgun the Legendary Crusher is the best thing ever, 12 rounds, reloads with one mag change, is just perfect.

it just solves problems my katana can't fix sometimes.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Why does everyone rag on this game’s replayability? My son and I are playing side by side and comparing notes and a lot of the quests have multiple ways to solve them with multiple outcomes. I’m constantly seeing dialogue that gives me alternate paths through quests just based on my background and abilities.

He’s seeing all kinds of poo poo I haven’t seen even though we did the same quests, and vice versa. It’s not Alpha Protocol, but for a game this large to have this much variety, it’s kinda mind boggling.

Youth with a Skull
Aug 16, 2004

Hit 'em with one-a dees
Grimey Drawer
Took a little trip up to the top of Megabuilding H10 Atrium with my double jump legs, highly recommend checking out your pad at the top if you're into glitches or exploration. The climb is difficult, but rewarding especially for V's I'm rich bitch outfit . It's also a nice primer for future exploration and how the world is constructed / what you can / can't do.

Collision is hit or miss as you get higher up in the buildings. I don't think this game was built with double jumping in mind.

Anybody else got any cool locations to climb, or even better, cut content areas to explore? I'm looking at that giant green area to the east of Charter Hill. Would be cool to get into the stadium also, looks like they built a shanty town in it from the overhead map?

Both of the locations can be seen here

https://maps.piggyback.com/cyberpunk-2077/maps/night-city

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

chaosapiant posted:

Why does everyone rag on this game’s replayability? My son and I are playing side by side and comparing notes and a lot of the quests have multiple ways to solve them with multiple outcomes. I’m constantly seeing dialogue that gives me alternate paths through quests just based on my background and abilities.

He’s seeing all kinds of poo poo I haven’t seen even though we did the same quests, and vice versa. It’s not Alpha Protocol, but for a game this large to have this much variety, it’s kinda mind boggling.

None of the main story has any of that. Everything is super linear in how it goes from Point A to point B. Its mostly all in side stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Why does everyone rag on this game’s replayability? My son and I are playing side by side and comparing notes

that's sweet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

LifeSunDeath posted:

My shotgun the Legendary Crusher is the best thing ever, 12 rounds, reloads with one mag change, is just perfect.

it just solves problems my katana can't fix sometimes.

I always found the double barrel shotguns more reliably put people on their rear end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think the people who are doing all the side missions and then moving on the the story have it backwards, you should rush through the story because you get dump trucks full of XP for main story missions and lots of sweet unique loot which then makes traversing and exploring the open world more fun and less frustrating because you have all the stat and perk points you need to do what you feel like doing.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ibram Gaunt posted:

None of the main story has any of that. Everything is super linear in how it goes from Point A to point B. Its mostly all in side stuff.

Yea, again, I have to disagree. Even main quests have a good deal of variety.

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Yea, again, I have to disagree. Even main quests have a good deal of variety.

Care to spoiler a few examples? Because as much as I'd love to be wrong, I'm really not seeing it

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

There is a wide gulf in difficulty between encounters. Most of the NCPD alerts are just "kill these 4 guys lumped together in a parking lot that will die instantly". As a regular soldier type(not using hack cheese or sniping people through walls) there are some hard areas where you will be shot by 8 different dudes and 4 turrets if you raise an alert.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Try checking for cool poo poo where the transmitter is pointing?

So, the transmitter is pointing over here.

I've been up all 4 sets of scaffolding, I've been on top of the girders and run around up there, I've climbed the crane (although couldn't get to the very top)

All I've found is a box with 35 ED in it.

Anyone able to help me out?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PerilPastry posted:

Care to spoiler a few examples? Because as much as I'd love to be wrong, I'm really not seeing it

No spoilers, but the segment with the Voodoo Boys has, between our notes, at least three possible outcomes. His poo poo played completely different to mine.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TescoBag posted:

So, the transmitter is pointing over here.

I've been up all 4 sets of scaffolding, I've been on top of the girders and run around up there, I've climbed the crane (although couldn't get to the very top)

All I've found is a box with 35 ED in it.

Anyone able to help me out?

If this is where I think it is, it’s tied to a quest. So it probably won’t have any purpose until you’re doing that quest.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
so the optimal path is do the heist the fast you can and then take your sweet time with the game correct?

Xachariah
Jul 26, 2004

Zeta Acosta posted:

so the optimal path is do it the heist the fast you can and then take your sweet time with the game correct?

The optimal path is to do whatever makes you happiest and have fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

There's way too much cost and build variant gating to treat Cyberpunk like an immersive sim, tbh. Double jump is buried in the mess of systems and inventory and it's an easy thing to miss.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I would, the other 85% of the game becomes available after that

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

No spoilers, but the segment with the Voodoo Boys has, between our notes, at least three possible outcomes. His poo poo played completely different to mine.

I'm not there myself quite yet but earlier ITT a bunch of people brought up how they thought their opportunities to deal with/interact with the VBs were incredibly unsatisfying; especially if you're playing as a hacker. Hope they're wrong and you're right!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Zeta Acosta posted:

so the optimal path is do the heist the fast you can and then take your sweet time with the game correct?
Not necessarily. Speeding through Act 1 opens up barks from Johnny that you would have missed, but that's about it. You'll still have to tackle quests in order of difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zeta Acosta posted:

Yeah prior to the heist you’re stuck in Watson so you don’t even have access to the majority of the map. Clearing that and opening the game proper is the way to go