Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

BrianWilly posted:

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.

More so it's a game where you couldn't give a flying gently caress if you sent any of your crew members into the vents to die. Hell, if it were up to you you'd send the whole drat lot of them into the vents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

BrianWilly posted:

I've said this before in regards to Andromeda, but one of the main design problems is that there are no real fail conditions. If you make the mistake of clicking buttons in the vicinity of your companions, they will end up liking you and you'll bloody deal with it.

This has always been one of the prominent issues with Mass Effect, wherein having three different choices lead to the same outcome will plague you right up to the loving Starchild climax, but feels especially pronounced in Andromeda because there just flat out are not any consequences to anything.

It is a game where you cannot send Thane into the vents.

This sums it up well. Previous ME/DA games have the possibility of characters dying or hating you. MEA does not, and I believe it’s due to the team’s perception that the core of Mass Effect is bonding with your crew

... which is correct. Except it only has meaning if you CHOOSE to do that. I go out of my way to keep my party alive and solve all their problems and generally be Commander Friend but I need the option NOT to do that, otherwise it’s not really a choice, is it?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

They could have even used DA2's friendship/rivalry system if they wanted it to be abound bonding and everyone being there. That worked great and just being able to rival a character like Merrill and be able to explain to her in detail how much she's a loving idiot helped me tolerate her being there.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Part of every previous Mass Effect game was doing "the dance" - managing your crew members such that they liked you and were willing to fight and die for you, and managing the relations with other characters as well so that you'd get favorable outcomes. It was possible to gently caress it up. It wasn't likely, and in some cases it wasn't easy to do, but it was possible. It gave you a reason to pay attention to the dialog.

ME:A takes that away, completely. It pretends as if the dance is still there - giving you dialog options that you'd think might cause issues, but they never, ever do. You can try, hard, to be a total fuckup - and everyone will still be your best friend and/or fuckbudy for life. That's horrible design for a mass effect game. It should never do the dance for you.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Moola posted:

I still cannot believe "my face is tired" is a line someone wrote down, and then another person spoke out loud, and then another group of people edited into an actual scene

nobody in the history of humanity has ever used those words in that order before this game did it lol

The layers of production that had to get through always boggles my mind. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :glomp:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Look it's easy to poo poo on people that write videos game scripts because if they were talented they'd be getting paid to write literally anything else.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I only respect video game writers who are creative enough to use things like traffic light colors for their endgame inspiration.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Can anyone recommend a good & complete long play of Andromeda on youtube?

I don’t want to replay it but I want to see the dialogue and side missions I missed and the ending (I didn’t complete it)

Preferably one where the person playing isn’t commentating too much either (a little is alright)

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The layers of production that had to get through always boggles my mind. I'm glad I'm not the only one. :glomp:

At that point of development every one was so rushed for time that ever IF some one was reviewing the dialogue that closely it was "gently caress it, it's spelled right and a complete sentence? Let's go go go".

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Funky See Funky Do posted:

More so it's a game where you couldn't give a flying gently caress if you sent any of your crew members into the vents to die. Hell, if it were up to you you'd send the whole drat lot of them into the vents.

the Ark was one big vent

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

BexGu posted:

At that point of development every one was so rushed for time that ever IF some one was reviewing the dialogue that closely it was "gently caress it, it's spelled right and a complete sentence? Let's go go go".

iirc, because they didn't know exactly what kind of technology they were gonna be working with, if they were gonna be able to have that procedural map generation for exploring new planets, no preliminary writing had been done at all

that's absolutely insane to me, writing is theoretically one of bioware's strongest points but even that was a last minute rush job here

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

ashpanash posted:

Part of every previous Mass Effect game was doing "the dance" - managing your crew members such that they liked you and were willing to fight and die for you, and managing the relations with other characters as well so that you'd get favorable outcomes. It was possible to gently caress it up. It wasn't likely, and in some cases it wasn't easy to do, but it was possible. It gave you a reason to pay attention to the dialog.

ME:A takes that away, completely. It pretends as if the dance is still there - giving you dialog options that you'd think might cause issues, but they never, ever do. You can try, hard, to be a total fuckup - and everyone will still be your best friend and/or fuckbudy for life. That's horrible design for a mass effect game. It should never do the dance for you.

It more that that, with the exceptions of Neverwinter Nights(where the single player was an afterthought), Sonic(maybe never played it) and SW: The Old Republic(an MMO which removed things like companion deaths because players would be short handed) every Bioware game always tried something new with companions. Some new mechanic or system. So every new game there was a potential interesting new situation with companions that wasn't in a Bioware game before. Mass Effect Andromeda added nothing new. Every single thing it did was in a previous Bioware game. Which would be okay if they did things exceptionally well but they didn't.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

kilus aof posted:

It more that that, with the exceptions of Neverwinter Nights(where the single player was an afterthought), Sonic(maybe never played it) and SW: The Old Republic(an MMO which removed things like companion deaths because players would be short handed) every Bioware game always tried something new with companions. Some new mechanic or system. So every new game there was a potential interesting new situation with companions that wasn't in a Bioware game before. Mass Effect Andromeda added nothing new. Every single thing it did was in a previous Bioware game. Which would be okay if they did things exceptionally well but they didn't.

It is the least confident game I have ever played, everything in it is slotted in from a previous game with the desperate hope that it’ll have the same emotional impact absent its proper context

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

hard counter posted:

iirc, because they didn't know exactly what kind of technology they were gonna be working with, if they were gonna be able to have that procedural map generation for exploring new planets, no preliminary writing had been done at all

that's absolutely insane to me, writing is theoretically one of bioware's strongest points but even that was a last minute rush job here

Yeah, something like the first four years put of five was trying to do the procedural map and planets and it completely bombed and/ or just could not be pulled off by the dev team. Which bleeds into kilus aof point: ME:A is just a rush job that ends up as worse version of everything Bioware had done before.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

exquisite tea posted:

Remember when they killed Emily Wong offscreen so they could put an IGN reporter who couldn't act onto the Normandy.

I gotta ask this, because I hadn't seen BSG at the time, was her name intended as a homage to Diana Biers or however you spell it?

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 20, 2020

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
It’s still unbelievable to me that BioWare wanted to make a Mass Effect game — a series which purports to have memorable characters and interesting missions — with hundreds of procedurally generated planets.

You literally cannot have both of those in the same game and yet they thought they could pull it off because ???

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

It’s still unbelievable to me that BioWare wanted to make a Mass Effect game — a series which purports to have memorable characters and interesting missions — with hundreds of procedurally generated planets.

You literally cannot have both of those in the same game and yet they thought they could pull it off because ???

I assume the logic here was the same as making Bioware, the studio that specializes in primarily single player RPGs with an emphasis on companions and relationships as a primary feature, create a multiplayer looter shooter like a terrible version of destiny

Aka some executive being like "what're the kids excited about now."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They found the one guy whose favorite part of Mass Effect 1 was driving around in the Mako and made him Creative Director.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

exquisite tea posted:

They found the one guy whose favorite part of Mass Effect 1 was driving around in the Mako and made him Creative Director.

And I didn't even get paid for it!

Seriously though, I loving loved driving the Mako around. It's like a driving a six-wheeled bouncy castle with a big cannon on it. :kimchi:
Hell, I've even got a framed print of the Mako up on my wall.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Mako great! Hammerhead trash. Let's make a Frogger section in our shooter game! In a vehicle with default controls that make spacebar, the key you've been mashing for every function thus far, activate a completely optional boost function. Where is jump? Left shift, of course. There will be no prompt to tell you this.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

They were really new.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Pattonesque posted:

even "PB" would have been way better than "PeeBee"

They had to be sure nobody from the Commonwealth would call her PedBed.

womb with a view posted:

Mako great! Hammerhead trash. Let's make a Frogger section in our shooter game! In a vehicle with default controls that make spacebar, the key you've been mashing for every function thus far, activate a completely optional boost function. Where is jump? Left shift, of course. There will be no prompt to tell you this.

This isn't a problem if you're using a controller like God intended.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

This isn't a problem if you're using a controller like God intended.

Yeah, the fact that you can only have 3 powers mapped at one time should have been a gigantic glowing sign that "We intend you to use a controller with this game, even on PC."

Inquisition is sort of the same way.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I'm pretty sure you have to install a mod to make a controller work on PC. And you could have up to 8 powers mapped on the number row!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

womb with a view posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to install a mod to make a controller work on PC. And you could have up to 8 powers mapped on the number row!

So close, and yet so far. 😉

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Pattonesque posted:

Pretty sure this is what the original team envisioned for the original Mass Effect as well, though I could be mistaken.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Pretty sure this is what the original team envisioned for the original Mass Effect as well, though I could be mistaken.

and then they didn't do it because it's impossible!

Also I remember someone mashed this up a while back so I recreated it. it syncs up really well (volume up on the right, down on the left)

http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/5fdfffa2cd78b-the-eve-of-the-reaper-war-mass-effect-3-war-of-the.php

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

How that work out? One pre-fab structure and three things to scan on each planet. What can you do to make that better? Four pre-fab structures and 12 things to scan on each planet? And do that 100 times.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kilus aof posted:

How that work out? One pre-fab structure and three things to scan on each planet. What can you do to make that better? Four pre-fab structures and 12 things to scan on each planet? And do that 100 times.

Original vision: Dynamic procedurally generated everything including worlds, enemy attacks, economy, etc etc.

Delivery: 3 prefabs and a single mission, nothing new to scan after the first or second map I mean planet.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

kilus aof posted:

It didn’t really work out, it that wasn’t my point. It shouldn’t be surprising that they wanted to try this for Andromeda when they already tried it for ME1, which is the game Andromeda emulates more than anything.

That said, I’m a sucker for good sky boxes and love the uncharted worlds in ME1, identical prefabs and all.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ME1 at least let you feel like you were on some barren uncharted world. MEA didn't impact much of anything other than "at least they sort of tried, I guess".

Talent to bring it all together wasn't there and probably still isn't. Concept good, execution bad.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you were smart, you'd use procgen for a first pass and then have artists and worldbuilders flesh it out.

Bioware, et al, are not smart and want an algorithm to design everything for them without human intervention. :nallears:

Essentially, it's level-design by Inspirobot.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Pattonesque posted:

They all played Daggerfall and thought it was the greatest thing ever created.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

They all played Daggerfall and thought it was the greatest thing ever created.

Was daggerfall procedurally generated? I didn't play it much because I missed it when it was a thing that was being played on computers and so I have no nostalgia to revisit it.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

orange juche posted:

Was daggerfall procedurally generated? I didn't play it much because I missed it when it was a thing that was being played on computers and so I have no nostalgia to revisit it.

Yeah, the world of Daggerfall was GIGANTIC and had over 10,000 locations, but all of them procedurally generated. The playable map is about 1000 times bigger than Skyrim.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This thread was impossible to find without asking around about.
Good job hiding it.

So is there list anywhere of things not to do before other things so I dont screw myself on my first playthrough?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Of...the entire series? Starting from ME1?

Not really! It's pretty user friendly. There's three main "missions" on three main planets at first, and there's some slight comedic consequence to saving one of the for last (the one where you find someone called Liara), but it doesn't lock you out of anything.

A fourth mission planet opens up after that, called Virmire, and you'll want to have done everything your companions wanted you to do for them before going there, because it'll affect things a little. Unless you don't care and just wanna see what happens.

Generally, go full Paragon or full Renegade for each playthrough on each game. There's benefits to always P or R, and none for constantly switching between them.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

BrianWilly posted:

Of...the entire series? Starting from ME1?

Not really! It's pretty user friendly. There's three main "missions" on three main planets at first, and there's some slight comedic consequence to saving one of the for last (the one where you find someone called Liara), but it doesn't lock you out of anything.

A fourth mission planet opens up after that, called Virmire, and you'll want to have done everything your companions wanted you to do for them before going there, because it'll affect things a little. Unless you don't care and just wanna see what happens.

Generally, go full Paragon or full Renegade for each playthrough on each game. There's benefits to always P or R, and none for constantly switching between them.

Sorry. Andromeda

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ah. Then none. :sweatdrop:

Lol I genuinely don't think the game locks you out of anything. Just do whatever you want. Points of no return are clearly marked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Edit: Oh, Andromeda.

Yeah, Andromeda is self-explanatory and obvious. It's an open world game.