Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Christmas forces reluctant boris to step up

*Next page*
Treasonous Strugeon Cancels Christmas For Orphans and War Widows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Boris Johnson probably thinks that everyone had the same treatment he did, and that everyone who coughs is whipped straight into a respirator and pumped full of so many steroids that your inflated self confidence extends to your entire dysfunctional island

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1340382342452527106?s=20

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Three ghosts of Jimmy Saville will appear to Boris on Christmas eve and inspire him to let Brits have Chrimbo after all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

For some reason seeing Corbyn call the PM BoJo is very weird.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

For some reason seeing Corbyn call the PM BoJo is very weird.
Boris Johnson = rich, disliked by Corbyn
??? = Also rich, disliked by Corbyn

What could this mean!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

According to an anonymous source, Jeremy Corbyn refrains from typing the name "Johnson" because he is "in mourning for the 'mutilated' penises of children tricked into circumcision by Jewish influence". Read more on page 2, 4, 5, 6,

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Typical corbnite anti-semitism, the curr.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jollity Farm posted:

He didn't seem to learn any kind of lesson from actually having the virus (the "he was faking it for sympathy" theory aside), so there's no reason he, or anyone else who might be considered responsible in any way, will learn a single thing from this.

Anyway, my mother phoned and suggested "Christmas at Easter" as an alternative. I cannot say what might happen between now and then, but it's something to consider.

christmas in '22 is my "joke" answer

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Just went to double check the childcare bubble rules (making sure it's still ok to drop our little one with the in-laws for the few days prior to Christmas before we arrive there on Christmas day) and just lol that gov.uk still has the old rules on there

gov.uk posted:

You can form a Christmas bubble between 23 and 27 December. There is a 3-household limit on a Christmas bubble. Two households in a childcare bubble together count as 2 households towards the 3-household limit.

:eng99:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Oh good Bill Bailey won. Was worried H-V-R-Y would win.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/harrietclugston/status/1340383304143540227?s=21

Well this is a comforting sight, having seen West Yorkshire struggle over the last month to get infections down

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Noxville posted:

Well this is a comforting sight, having seen West Yorkshire struggle over the last month to get infections down

honestly I don't know why they keep announcing stricter measures days in advance, all that happens is that people rush to do the thing that they're going to be banned from doing before the ban comes into effect (see also the night before the lockdown when all the pubs were rammed)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Julio Cruz posted:

honestly I don't know why they keep announcing stricter measures days in advance, all that happens is that people rush to do the thing that they're going to be banned from doing before the ban comes into effect (see also the night before the lockdown when all the pubs were rammed)

Well that was the one thing I'd credit them with today. Tier 4 kicks in at midnight, which is about as late notice as possible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

teir starmer

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

teir starmer

It’s ‘teith’

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I wonder if he's even stopped to think about how many loving christmases this government's policies have cancelled because people couldn't loving afford christmas on their austerity benefits.

Or their loving £10 bonus.

(I don't wonder, he hasn't thought, why would he have, it didn't affect him)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tiers for Fears

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Johnson & Johnson's No, More Tiers!

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/HarrietClugston/status/1340386943167836162?s=20

I thought I was desensitised to almost everything now but this I find chilling

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Conclusion: the problem is people from Leeds who moved to London.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

I don't really get what part of this is allowed tonight that wouldn't be allowed tomorrow?

If you're gonna break the rules just do it tomorrow when it's daylight and quieter.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Communist Bear posted:

Oh good Bill Bailey won. Was worried H-V-R-Y would win.

Really pleased about this tbh

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

I don't really get what part of this is allowed tonight that wouldn't be allowed tomorrow?

If you're gonna break the rules just do it tomorrow when it's daylight and quieter.

Tomorrow has an urgent sense of being wrong to do while today is fine because it's not against the guidance, even though the guidance is reflecting currently existing conditions.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

namesake posted:

Tomorrow has an urgent sense of being wrong to do while today is fine because it's not against the guidance, even though the guidance is reflecting currently existing conditions.

Also the guidance says don't leave your tier so they're explicitly going against it by leaving tonight.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

stev posted:

Also the guidance says don't leave your tier so they're explicitly going against it by leaving tonight.

This is a stupid point to argue because a train from London to Leeds definitely against the spirit of that but there are other places in the country in Tier 3.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Travel within the country is discouraged but not actually forbidden, until Tier 4 rules come into effect at midnight, which is why people are fleeing en masse.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

The more I think about it the more I'm just astounded that the government didn't start by introducing a 10 point scale or something with 0 being 'We've cured COVID 19' and 9 being 'Stay at home even if your house is on fire' and then just use that in all circumstances rather than introducing new rankings and tiers and scales whenever their stupid controls fail.

Even as new things come down the pipe like the impact of schools reopening or a new strain it would only require an upgrade or at worst a sector specific change to the scale system rather than unclear new restrictions getting fired out at random.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

namesake posted:

The more I think about it the more I'm just astounded that the government didn't start by introducing a 10 point scale or something with 0 being 'We've cured COVID 19' and 9 being 'Stay at home even if your house is on fire' and then just use that in all circumstances rather than introducing new rankings and tiers and scales whenever their stupid controls fail.

Even as new things come down the pipe like the impact of schools reopening or a new strain it would only require an upgrade or at worst a sector specific change to the scale system rather than unclear new restrictions getting fired out at random.
that would mean that they know things could be worse than Tier 3, and that's not a comforting message to give the newspapers, especially because if it gets worse people start asking questions like "if they knew it could get much worse why weren't they taking more measures before now?"

much better to have an entirely new and unexpected threat from a mutation; after all, since it's a mutation it couldn't be seen a mile off

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Any idea about staying overnight while in a support bubble?

Some of the guidance says yes, others no.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

Any idea about staying overnight while in a support bubble?

Some of the guidance says yes, others no.

It's fine, nothing has changed for support bubbles. It's just confusingly phrased

You cannot leave home for holidays or stays overnight away from your main home unless permitted by law. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with

i.e. you can stay with someone you live with or are in a support bubble with

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

namesake posted:

I thought they did introduce a 1-5 COVID ranking months ago, set it at 3.9 and then never mentioned it again?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes, the nando's infection spiciness scale.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
A competent govt would have started lockdowns with roadblocks, razor wire, train station closures and checkpoints first before announcing that the measures came into place 5 minutes before the announcement.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

peanut- posted:

It's fine, nothing has changed for support bubbles. It's just confusingly phrased

You cannot leave home for holidays or stays overnight away from your main home unless permitted by law. This means that holidays in the UK and abroad are not allowed. This includes staying in a second home or caravan, or staying with anyone you do not live with or are in a support bubble with

i.e. you can stay with someone you live with or are in a support bubble with

Uh, as written unless you hosed up the transcription that says quite explicitly you can not stay with anyone you are in a support bubble with.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

TACD posted:

I thought they did introduce a 1-5 COVID ranking months ago, set it at 3.9 and then never mentioned it again?

Yes that's my point. They rolled out the biosecurity rating system, destroyed it in the same national Powerpoint presentation, never mentioned it again and then brought out the tier system.

I'm just amazed that someone didn't think at the early stages how to design a system that will give them at least the appearance of control by covering the full range of eventualities. If everyone has a few weeks to learn that all Threat locations of 4 or higher are closed at Scale 4 then even if you need to say that given new research that gyms are Threat 4 then people will know what the gently caress is happening and what changes are needed when their area moves in the scale.

The ruling class has never ruled for the good of all, rarely for the good of most but now they don't seem able to rule for the good of themselves.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I have to say though, I do find something kind of funny with the right wing media running "MUZLINS ARE TRYING TO CANCEL CHRISTMAS" stories every year, and the year it actually happens is because of a right wing former journalist who they've been hyping up as a chosen one for years.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

OwlFancier posted:

Uh, as written unless you hosed up the transcription that says quite explicitly you can not stay with anyone you are in a support bubble with.

No, to the contrary

The final clause in the sentence is treating someone you live with as equivalent to someone you're in a support bubble with, which is the whole point of them. If it was the way you're interpreting it, it would be worded:

This includes staying in a second home or caravan, staying with anyone you do not live with, or staying with anyone you are in a support bubble with

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
https://twitter.com/the_ironsheik/status/1340336949068967938?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, it's very poorly written and in isolation could be interpreted either way. But people you "live with or are in a support bubble with" is a intended to be a singular group to whom the exemption applies.

All through the rules it's very clear that support bubbles exist on the same terms as a single household.