Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just give Elaina a Twitter where she can complain about the injustices she sees to no-one in particular. Boom. Character is instantly relatable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Just give Elaina a Twitter where she can complain about the injustices she sees to no-one in particular. Boom. Character is instantly relatable
elaina: have you seen what joe biden just said, smh, if only bernie had won. *continues to sit around aimlessly browsing steam sales*

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i liked Elaina the character and think the idea of framing one of these series around a selfish character is fine, i just didn't think the show had a single episode that delivered its story as well as a decent kino no tabi episode. half the episodes i left thinking "that's it? where was the point?" and some of the ones that did have a point were hammed up or awkwardly executed in a way such that they didn't land anyway. as someone who's watched and enjoyed a lot of episodic "storytelling" anime, this one was just really off in its execution to a degree i haven't encountered before.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 19, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah like i said, the execution seems bad and having read a bit of the manga and ln to check it seems way better executed there, so i cant fault people for criticizing the show or anything, its just weird people are framing it as a like, moral, thing. kino does tons of hosed up stuff too.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

got some people really upset.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you're gonna compare it to kino it's not really worth comparing elaina to kino 2003 cause kino 2003 is about as transformative an adaptation of its material as you can get, rather than something fairly direct like kino 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
As it is I'd still say Elaina is one of the best shows of the season mostly by merit of being so pretty. Without the writing and pacing problems it would probably be an AOTY contender.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

but just kind of peace out and wander away when a zombified plague-carrier is wandering around outside of a town.

And see, that sort of embodies a lot of the problem with the adaptation, because the zombified plague-carrier wasn't in the novel - it's just a story about a couple of individuals falling afoul of a haunted place that society at large knows about and actively warns people away from, and where Elaina briefly tries to help before realizing that the 2 individual victims are simply beyond what her magic can fix. The whole zombie apocalypse angle the anime added doesn't even really make sense, since the cursed field's gimmick is pretty clear - it's not really trying to expand, it's just like a big morbid pitcher-plant, luring in food with sweet smells and then trapping it there to be digested.

The anime made tons and tons of tons of weird changes like that, large and small, that took away from what I found compelling about a lot of the stories and made Elaina herself weirder and more standoffish, plus it simply skips over a lot of stories where Elaina actually does good deeds, makes friends, leaves places better than she found them, etc.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 19, 2020

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm morbidly curious to see how they're going to handle Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu grossness. Though probably not enough to watch it myself.

every other adaptation from the WN has toned the grossness down a great deal because the WN was genuinely 'this guy is unredeemable' tier.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I wonder what Kamisama ni Natta Hi is trying to do. Like, what's the end goal here?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

its a jun maeda show so the goal is probably to make teens sad

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Tales of Woe posted:

its a jun maeda show so the goal is probably to make teens sad
But what if they come pre-saddened? What then? :ohdear:

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Wark Say posted:

But what if they come pre-saddened? What then? :ohdear:

Make them feel better so they won't see it coming.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think the protagonist of a show should probably be likable unless there's an obvious thematic reason why they're not and Elaina is at no point a likable character. Sorry if that's "politics brain" or whatever.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 19, 2020

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they should be interesting, not likeable

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Blockhouse posted:

I think the protagonist of a show should probably be likable unless there's an obvious thematic reason why they're not and Elaina is at no point a likable character. Sorry if that's "politics brain" or whatever.

I liked what Violent and Ghoul Elaina were about. I'd watch both shows.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Davincie posted:

Yeah, or that. Either way Elaina fails on both fronts.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

:hai:

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wasn't expecting Wandering Witch to be Kino like, the first 2 episodes (which i thought were good) set it up to be more of a travelog and I was all in for that. But show just sorta of lost focus and did nothing with Elaina

Its telling that the best episode was the one with Fran and Shelia as students and the worst episode (for me) was the follow up where Elaina really didn't do anything

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Nine episodes in and I'm really enjoying Adachi and Shimamura. Never read any of the source material, so I can't say how it is as an adaptation, but it's been fun to watch these two weirdoes figure themselves out.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's a real strong adaptation as it took the potential trouble of trying to do an anime with two distinct narrative POV's and made it a strength. It's the best show of the season for me just barely edging out Love Live and Akudama Drive

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sindai posted:

As it is I'd still say Elaina is one of the best shows of the season mostly by merit of being so pretty.

It has a lot of stuff that I feel like I would like if it weren't for the perspective being so scuffed on the backgrounds.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah as a big fan of the novels I was kind of worried after watching the first trailers for the AdaShima adaptation, but it's really overperformed IMO. Some nice storyboards that consistently feel like they understand the tone and substance of the source material, a nice script that makes sure it all flows together well despite the change in medium, and probably some of the best casting decisions I've seen from an anime since Bloom Into You back in 2018. Akari Kito and Miku Ito have been basically flawless in the lead roles IMO, and I feel like the voicework has really elevated a lot of the supporting cast too. No-brainer for my favorite anime of the season, maybe the year.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Futaba Anzu posted:

every other adaptation from the WN has toned the grossness down a great deal because the WN was genuinely 'this guy is unredeemable' tier.

I only read some of the manga, and that was pretty bad. If that was a toned down version I can't believe how gross the WN must be.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
real gross

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1339862015574077440

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

StandardVC10 posted:

Nine episodes in and I'm really enjoying Adachi and Shimamura. Never read any of the source material, so I can't say how it is as an adaptation, but it's been fun to watch these two weirdoes figure themselves out.
Same. It's my go to chill anime of the year, even if it's getting heavy in recent episodes.

So dumb question that I can probably Google myself but the the answer might get me to read the manga:

Hino and Nagafuji? parallel story about same-sex attraction or am I totally misreading the whole "We've been friends for so long I'm comfortable with you grabbing a titty"?. Because it seems like a pretty similar throughline

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
So I'm a Spider, So What is going to have some kind of collaboration with Reincarnated as a Slime, and there was this stream with a 10 minute preview of the Spider show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7sMF-KMYuM&t=2249s

The spider scenes are done in CG, and they look like a PS1 cutscene rendered at high resolution. The same guy who directed Berserk 2016 is working on this. Then there's the 2d scenes with human characters, which look great.

I've waited a long time for this show, but it really looks like hot garbage.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
80 minutes of aoi yuuki? thanks op

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll make the thread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Plutonis posted:

I'll make the thread
people keep talking about it, adtrw has massive demand for this series. probably one of the most hotly anticipated anime here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I think the spider show looks fine

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think the spider show looks fine

ehhhhhh

I'm already grumpy about bad CG animes. Spider isekai had a PV trailer two and half years ago that looked pretty rough, but after taking so long to make the show, I thought the final result would look a lot better.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I'll make the thread

can you make sure to post comparison screenshots and webms showing the difference between both versions? as an informed consumer id like to know which version is the closest to the intended vision of the author

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
maxwell adams in 2018: this whole trailer is cgi, which i'm sure is just a placeholder for hand animation

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

D4Dj has some amazing 3D faces and Toei Precure 3D work has always been good but given this is by the Berserk studio being wary is probably a good thing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the spider narrating her boring-rear end level up spreadsheets is what made me drop the manga, so it being the worse aspect of the anime would be fitting

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The spider manga had super strong beginning and I didn't even mind the frankly unreasonable time spent on skills and level-ups and abilities, because the whole point was that the protagonist was extremely weak and had to use every single dirty trick and tactics to survive and indulging in theory-crafting about possible builds and non-standard uses of her abilities was a part of that. Unfortunately, the author couldn't resist the lure constantly present in every WN, kinda forgot about the basic hook of the story and eventually armed the protagonist with every single overpowered ability under the sun. In a few dozen chapters, the manga went from the protagonist trying to kill a bunch of poison frogs in a cave to challenging gods, which is where I checked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

SatoshiMiwa posted:

D4Dj has some amazing 3D faces and Toei Precure 3D work has always been good but given this is by the Berserk studio being wary is probably a good thing

How is D4Dj anyway? It was on my "maybe" list at the start of the season, but it completely slipped my mind until now.