Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

Filoni needs to lay off the bringing characters back from the dead schtick before he screws one up. He hasn't yet, and Crime Queen Fennec is just more proof, but he's going to blow one if he keeps it up.

I mean, that one was pretty telegraphed. Casting a fairly big-name actor with an elaborate distinctive costume design, a big in-universe reputation, given a sudden undignified death on her first appearance and then the "corpse" walked up on by someone mysterious at the credits?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

General Dog posted:

Here’s a question- is it possible that Grogu spent a large portion of the time between the Clone Wars and the present in some sort of suspended animation? Only ask because of Ahsoka’s comment that his memory becomes “dark” for that time period, and it opens up the possibility that his development process isn’t as glacial as we might assume otherwise.

I’ve wondered the same but they’ll likely not reveal it anytime soon if at all. Unless they EU up a book or comic or something.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

General Dog posted:

Here’s a question- is it possible that Grogu spent a large portion of the time between the Clone Wars and the present in some sort of suspended animation? Only ask because of Ahsoka’s comment that his memory becomes “dark” for that time period, and it opens up the possibility that his development process isn’t as glacial as we might assume otherwise.

I assumed by "went dark" she meant more in the philosophical sense. He probably spent most of the time since he avoided becoming a chicken fried youngling being traded between mercs and hunted by the empire so he spent most of the time scared and angry. She did say she had concerns about training him because of it.

Din is just finally pulling him out of that dark place.

hexate
Sep 13, 2012

What do you mean it's not Tom Cruise?

Given that Filoni mentioned/implied that the ending scene of Rebels occurs after Ahsoka's appearance in The Mandalorian, how does she know about Thrawn? What, exactly, does she want with him?

She was stuck on Malachor when Thrawn was introduced, as well as when Ezra jumped them both to parts unknown. It's an awfully large and convenient assumption to make that she's after Thrawn to discover something about Ezra, when none of the scenes laying the groundwork for this have occurred onscreen.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Azhais posted:

I assumed by "went dark" she meant more in the philosophical sense. He probably spent most of the time since he avoided becoming a chicken fried youngling being traded between mercs and hunted by the empire so he spent most of the time scared and angry. She did say she had concerns about training him because of it.

That’s certainly a possible reading (and the most straightforward one), but it does leave some wiggle room. My only thought is that it would allow for Grogu to at least reach adolescence within Din’s lifetime.

hexate posted:

Given that Filoni mentioned/implied that the ending scene of Rebels occurs after Ahsoka's appearance in The Mandalorian, how does she know about Thrawn? What, exactly, does she want with him?

She was stuck on Malachor when Thrawn was introduced, as well as when Ezra jumped them both to parts unknown. It's an awfully large and convenient assumption to make that she's after Thrawn to discover something about Ezra, when none of the scenes laying the groundwork for this have occurred onscreen.

She was with Sabine in the post-RotJ epilogue to Rebels, wasn’t she? She should have the full story by that point.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 20, 2020

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

LionArcher posted:

If you really want to look good as you age an hour of working out a day a gallon of water a balanced diet and basically no drinking.

Yes, I know the secret to living a long life is living a life not worth living.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wait wasn't Bib Fortuna vaporized on the Sail Barge when it exploded? I know at this point death has become a minor inconvenience to Star Wars but it was kinda jarring for the show to be like "Bib Fortuna's back baby!" and then kill him again in the span of five seconds with no comment. Hell what did Fett even have against him?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Azhais posted:

I’d say it’s a combination of that and Grogu not using or cutting himself off from the force during those years, whether due to lack of training or it being a survival mechanism. I think Cere in Jedi: Fallen Order did something kinda similar (Severing her connection to the force after touching the dark side until the events of the game).

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

hexate posted:

I thought he said it's possible it was then kind of laughed it off. Yeah found the quote.

“It’s an interesting one, that’s not necessarily chronological,” Filoni said. “I think the thing that people will most not understand is they want to go in a linear fashion, but as I learned as a kid, nothing in Star Wars really works in a linear fashion. You do [Episodes] Four, Five, and Six and then One, Two, and Three. So in the vein of that history, when you look at the epilogue of Rebels, you don’t really know how much time has passed. So, it’s possible that the story I’m telling in The Mandalorian actually takes place prior to that. Possible. I’m saying it’s possible.”

So he qualifies it 3 times, not sure if I'd take that as fact given that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

galagazombie posted:

Wait wasn't Bib Fortuna vaporized on the Sail Barge when it exploded? I know at this point death has become a minor inconvenience to Star Wars but it was kinda jarring for the show to be like "Bib Fortuna's back baby!" and then kill him again in the span of five seconds with no comment. Hell what did Fett even have against him?

I figure he watched Jabba get strangled and said "gently caress THIS" and jumped overboard before the barge blew up.

If you like (and I do) you can concoct a whole arc with him struggling to survive in the desert, making his way out reforged to have the courage and will to take Jabba's place, waging a war to become the heir, killing former friends and allies along the way, and becoming more of a monster until he finally reaches the peak and allows himself to become a mock Hutt in all but name, and just as he's finally reached something like satisfaction, Fett comes in and dethrones him with one shot not out of malice, but to send a message to all the other crimelords that Boba's in town and he's not taking any of your poo poo. Probably has a scene in the novelization where as he's flopping onto the ground in front of the throne with a hole in his chest, he looks up into the eyes of his former slave girl and sees only hatred and realizes he'd been given a precious second chance to do better, to do more with his life, but he squandered it on more murder and crime. And then he dies.

If they still did the "Tales of Whatever" short story collections, I guarantee one just like that would be in "Tales of Boba's Palace".

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
Do you think they'll make Boba an incel again?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

galagazombie posted:

I laughed really hard when this happened ngl

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

VinylonUnderground posted:

Not if any Fennec has anything to say about it. She was mirin’ Boba hard at the end of after credits scene.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Presumably that's why she freed the Twi'lek slave girl. She's clearing out the competition.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She looked at him like he was a loving doofus. Who sits on a loving throne staring straight off at nothing?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
He was watching the Twi'lek run away

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Mulva posted:

She looked at him like he was a loving doofus. Who sits on a loving throne staring straight off at nothing?

He was looking at the camera!

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
Oh please, his eyes weren't even open. He was having a nap.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Mulva posted:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

VinylonUnderground posted:

Why was Boba an incel?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

Who do you think would win in a fight, Ming Na-Wen or Michelle Yeoh?

Whoever wins, we win

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cage Kicker posted:

Why was Boba an incel?

Pretty sure that Legends!Boba was volcel

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

jivjov posted:

He had a daughter, but iirc he either wasn’t totally aware of her existence or he abandoned her and the mother. She eventually tracked him down in the Legacy books.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

galagazombie posted:

I went back to see when he's last around in ROTJ and he disappears, along with almost everyone else. When Leia starts strangling Jabba, you can see people literally running for the door behind him. Guess Bib jumped out with all the other hangers-on.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

General Dog posted:

jng2058 posted:

If you like (and I do) you can concoct a whole arc with him struggling to survive in the desert, making his way out reforged to have the courage and will to take Jabba's place, waging a war to become the heir, killing former friends and allies along the way, and becoming more of a monster until he finally reaches the peak and allows himself to become a mock Hutt in all but name, and just as he's finally reached something like satisfaction, Fett comes in and dethrones him with one shot not out of malice, but to send a message to all the other crimelords that Boba's in town and he's not taking any of your poo poo. Probably has a scene in the novelization where as he's flopping onto the ground in front of the throne with a hole in his chest, he looks up into the eyes of his former slave girl and sees only hatred and realizes he'd been given a precious second chance to do better, to do more with his life, but he squandered it on more murder and crime. And then he dies.

If they still did the "Tales of Whatever" short story collections, I guarantee one just like that would be in "Tales of Boba's Palace".

"Of the day's annoyances, these: That Boba Fett shot me in the loving chest."

By the way, it made me so happy to see that they gave him the staff that came with his original action figure but was never on screen before. Filoni did a similar thing with Ackbar's staff on an episode of The Clone Wars.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Dave Syndrome posted:

"Of the day's annoyances, these: That Boba Fett shot me in the loving chest."

By the way, it made me so happy to see that they gave him the staff that came with his original action figure but was never on screen before. Filoni did a similar thing with Ackbar's staff on an episode of The Clone Wars.

You're not fooling me, Dave "Syndrome".

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

jivjov posted:

I read most of the Legends stuff on Boba, what do you base that on?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Cage Kicker posted:

The Tales from Jabba's Palace chapter where he refuses to have sex with Leia becuase 1) she's a slave at the time and couldn't meaningfully consent and 2) they aren't married.

I don't actually ever really think of characters in the incel/volcel dynamic, I just remembered that bit and tossed it out as a quick rejoinder to the post I quoted.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Cage Kicker posted:

It's from the Boba story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, which was his semi-official backstory prior to the Prequels.

Something about "never having so much as held a woman in his arms".

EdIT: Found it.

quote:

Fett shook his head. He sat down in the corner facing hers, moving carefully, and propped his rifle across his knees. He had to move carefully; his knees had been getting worse in recent years. “Sex between those not married,” said Fett, “is immoral.”

“Yeah,” said Organa. “So’s rape.”

Fett nodded. “So is rape.” He sat in what was, for him, a comfortable silence, watching her. She settled down in the opposite corner, being careful of her covering; Fett approved of her modesty, but it did not prevent him from continuing to look at her. He had never so much as held a woman in his arms, Boba Fett, and the desire for a woman came to him less frequently, with the passage of the years; but in Fett’s mind his chastity made him no less a man, and she was worth looking at, still flushed from her struggles, with her dark hair cascading down over the pale sheet.

EU Boba Fett pre-Prequels was kind of a weird fundamentalist rear end in a top hat.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 20, 2020

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Grogu’s infant-sized handcuffs were hilarious

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Please tell me this is official merch.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

General Dog posted:

Grogu’s infant-sized handcuffs were hilarious

They make sense when you remember there's tiny aliens like Babu Frik

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

EU Boba Fett pre-Prequels was kind of a weird fundamentalist rear end in a top hat.

Given that exchange, I'd describe him as a supreme gentleman.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Perhaps, you might say...a Nice Guy

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Edit: Wrong thread

Gonz fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2020

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Rewatching Clone Wars stuff to get up to the seasons I haven't really seen and between the ending of the Ziro arc being a bit anticlimactic, the Nightsisisters coming up with a stupidly convoluted plan to kill Dooku, the resurrection of Maul, and the Mortis arc I think I've worked out why I stopped watching around the end of S3.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Moon Slayer posted:

Who do you think would win in a fight, Ming Na-Wen or Michelle Yeoh?

The audience.

edit:

pile of brown posted:

Whoever wins, we win

God dammit. But yeah, agreed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

The Tales from Jabba's Palace chapter where he refuses to have sex with Leia becuase 1) she's a slave at the time and couldn't meaningfully consent and 2) they aren't married.

I don't actually ever really think of characters in the incel/volcel dynamic, I just remembered that bit and tossed it out as a quick rejoinder to the post I quoted.

That scene was from Boba's story in Tales from the Bounty Hunters, not Jabba's Palace. And not wanting to have sex with a slave that was delivered to his room hardly qualified as "volcel". But I agree that designating characters as incel or volcel is dumb.

That whole scene in Tales always seemed completely unnecessary and like it should have been cut. We really didn't need a scene of Boba being offered the opportunity to rape Leia and saying, "No thanks" to establish him as "not that bad of a guy". You don't get a pat on the back for "not raping", which, even as a lovely 13 year old back in the 90's, is how that scene came off to me.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
Him thinking rape is wrong is good, them specifying that he thinks premarital sex is bad is weird as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Book of Boba: 40 year old Crime Lord Virgin