Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally got my M1 pro today it’s a drat nice machine and the keyboard is so much better over my 2017.

I loaded up some games and yeah they all run really good.

FWIW I noticed this as well

I assume it’s accurate.

Glad I got the 16GB model.

I’m gonna run some battery tests later but Jesus the battery life is insane and it barely gets warm playing games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, that's been my experience too with mine. It really is an amazing machine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I know this is the wrong thread for it technically, but what are the odds that windows 10 or whatever will work with ARM Apple devices? Microsoft has to make that decision right? I remember there was some sort of cut down windows 8/10 ARM edition which blew chunks and I wonder if MS has abandoned that idea entirely.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

buglord posted:

I know this is the wrong thread for it technically, but what are the odds that windows 10 or whatever will work with ARM Apple devices? Microsoft has to make that decision right? I remember there was some sort of cut down windows 8/10 ARM edition which blew chunks and I wonder if MS has abandoned that idea entirely.

presumably you're talking about windows rt but microsoft has been putting out windows arm builds for a while, and they have their own arm-powered devices in the market: https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/23/21526702/microsoft-surface-pro-x-2020-review-arm-windows-10-apps-features-specs-price

i'm not sure who's buying them, though.

given apple's stated position of it supposedly being 'up to microsoft' they seem open to the idea, i guess, of offering boot camp on their own chips. afaik they aren't licensing windows on arm for anything but manufacturer pre-installs at the moment, but that could change.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

buglord posted:

Win10 on ARM is still alive. Has to be, because Microsoft itself currently sells ARM hardware, the Surface Pro X. They updated it 2 months ago, too.

People have already managed to use qemu to virtualize the ARM edition of Windows 10 on M1 Macs. It supposedly works well for a hack that doesn't have proper paravirtualization drivers yet.

So the odds are 100% that it can work, because it does, but the unknown is whether Microsoft will make the decision to license it for real so that it's all legal and stuff.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just messing with the M1 MBP tonight and I ran this scene for an hour.

Took the machine to 76% battery.

The fan never came on but the bottom did get warm but not too hot.

It was running at least 30fps from what I could tell ( I couldn’t find an FPS counter anywhere but it was smooth to look around and stuff).

It’s a pretty impressive device and I can’t wait to see what some native games can do with this thing. I can’t even find a solid list of games that have native M1 compatibility :shrug:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It’s a pretty impressive device and I can’t wait to see what some native games can do with this thing. I can’t even find a solid list of games that have native M1 compatibility :shrug:

1. World of Warcraft
2. ????

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

1. World of Warcraft
2. ????

Monument Valley

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

Does it come with an Apple Arcade 3 month trial like phones?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

buglord posted:

Microsoft seem to be actively working on the arm version, they introduced x64 emulation in a preview build this month. As far as I know they no longer limit it the way they did in RT so it's a full-functioning windows, without many native apps. I believe letting people run it on macs would be a good decision for everyone but they don't license it separately from devices, yet.

JagerNinja
Sep 13, 2011

Steely-eyed Missile of a Man

Twerk from Home posted:

Does it come with an Apple Arcade 3 month trial like phones?

Yup. If there are any Apple Arcade recommendations that run well on an M1 Air, I'm all ears.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

JagerNinja posted:

Yup. If there are any Apple Arcade recommendations that run well on an M1 Air, I'm all ears.

The Pathless is pretty good on iOS mobile devices, and is a full blown game in a way that some of the stuff on apple arcade isn't.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
My 2018 Macbook Air is double tapping the spacebar a bunch. I hit it (usually on the right side) with my thumb and it often puts in multiple spaces, and the OS helpfully converts to period spaces at many points in iMessage and in documents. This thing is about 18 months old and I don't have applecare, what are my options?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hed posted:

My 2018 Macbook Air is double tapping the spacebar a bunch. I hit it (usually on the right side) with my thumb and it often puts in multiple spaces, and the OS helpfully converts to period spaces at many points in iMessage and in documents. This thing is about 18 months old and I don't have applecare, what are my options?

Keyboard replacement program. Go to an Apple store or call support and they’ll mail you a box to use to send it in

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

BobHoward posted:

Win10 on ARM is still alive. Has to be, because Microsoft itself currently sells ARM hardware, the Surface Pro X. They updated it 2 months ago, too.

People have already managed to use qemu to virtualize the ARM edition of Windows 10 on M1 Macs. It supposedly works well for a hack that doesn't have proper paravirtualization drivers yet.

So the odds are 100% that it can work, because it does, but the unknown is whether Microsoft will make the decision to license it for real so that it's all legal and stuff.

MS is likely making their own ARM CPU's for Azure and likely new Surfaces. So yeah Windows ARM 'aint going anywhere.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I just got a LG Ultrafine 27" 5k so I moved my existing Dell U2715H next to it in portrait mode. The dell looks super grainy / blurry now, is this caused by running two different scaling (5k and 2k) displays off the same machine under OSX, or is there some kind of setting that I need to change? To be clear, the Dell looked fine before.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BlackMK4 posted:

I just got a LG Ultrafine 27" 5k so I moved my existing Dell U2715H next to it in portrait mode. The dell looks super grainy / blurry now, is this caused by running two different scaling (5k and 2k) displays off the same machine under OSX, or is there some kind of setting that I need to change? To be clear, the Dell looked fine before.

Make sure it’s still set on 2560x1440 it should look any different

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Hed posted:

This is a tough nut to crack as I had the same issue. To the point where I’d rather trade it than sell privately (to avoid seller followup). I went through the KB replacement program once to try to resolve which didn’t, but best of luck to you and might as well give it a shot.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Speaking of monitors, there seems to be a contingent of Apple commentators who feel the only acceptable 27” monitor for Mac usage has to be 5K. And there is exactly one of those available and no one seems to love it.

Am I crazy that I’m fine using a 27” 4K monitor with my Mac? Maybe if I was used to a 5K iMac it would be annoying?

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

smackfu posted:

Am I crazy that I’m fine using a 27” 4K monitor with my Mac? Maybe if I was used to a 5K iMac it would be annoying?

It's that. Once you're used to the 27" 5K iMac panel, nothing less will do. LG supplies the 5K panel used in 27" iMacs, so the LG Ultrafine 5K is at least theoretically your best chance of replicating the visual experience. Tons of people have complaints about everything else about it, though, including the price (which is far too close to the price of a base 27" iMac).

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
If Apple brought Target Display Mode back to the iMac they'd sell a lot more iMacs.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I've only had mine for about a week but I have no complaints; I bought refurbished off of Amazon. Yeah, sure, it's $1k, I just do not get people being unwilling to spend money on the thing that you look at all day but are fine spending $2.5k on the computer and another $500 in peripherals.

Problem with the idea of the iMac is that then you're stuck with the iMac and you can't pipe another computer / console / etc into it.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 19, 2020

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

4K monitors at 24 inches look good too, but as a 5k iMac user, it has legit ruined lower res screens for me. And I spend 90% of my time in a text editor (scrivener).

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

5k imac + 4k 27" is a perfectly fine setup. the 4k definitely isn't quite as ridiculously crisp (scaled, 1440p equiv to match the 5k) but coming from the 1920x1200 world not so long ago it's still incredibly good.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I run my iMac at 3200x1800 "equivalent resolution" because I love space and hate my eyes.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I am perfectly happy living the non-4K, 1440p ultrawide life. Also, 3840x1600 on a 38" UW is amazing for productivity.

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
When the 5K iMac launched, the display alone made me switch from my PC. I remember thinking it wouldn’t be long before all desktop screens looked that good.

That was six years ago.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
My dad has a MacBook Pro 13,1 (2016) and when he turns it on, two minutes after it will shut down. It will say low battery. If you plug it in, it will say the battery is full.

It's currently running High Sierra.

Any idea on what it might be?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

the_lion posted:

My dad has a MacBook Pro 13,1 (2016) and when he turns it on, two minutes after it will shut down. It will say low battery. If you plug it in, it will say the battery is full.

It's currently running High Sierra.

Any idea on what it might be?

Yeah probably a bad battery.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Fleedar posted:

When the 5K iMac launched, the display alone made me switch from my PC. I remember thinking it wouldn’t be long before all desktop screens looked that good.

That was six years ago.

It's a common sentiment expressed by PC folk that iMacs are bad value and overpriced based on the specs and I always make the point to them that they're basically getting one of the best Displays on the market with a very cheap pc strapped to the back of it. In the consumer space there's flat out nothing as good. The LG display is the closest thing. A base spec 27" iMac costs AUD $2799. A 27" LG Ultrafine costs AUD $1889.95. AUD $900 for a pretty decent midrange PC with a top tier SSD is pretty good if you ask me.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Is it still unclear why the base air has 7 gpu cores?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Maybe individual gpu cores are defect-prone?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Shy posted:

Is it still unclear why the base air has 7 gpu cores?

There's nothing new here, it's just the same binning strategy that literally every chipmaker uses.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

If Apple brought Target Display Mode back to the iMac they'd sell a lot more iMacs.

I’d use it on the 5K iMac work gave me because it has a loving HDD (not even a hybrid drive) and my MacBook that’s three years older is faster

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Shy posted:

Maybe individual gpu cores are defect-prone?

GPU cores are relatively large structures. The probability of a defect in any block of the chip is proportional to its area, so GPU cores are "defect prone" just because they're big.

Apple's CPU cores are big too. However, Apple seemingly made a value judgement that they aren't willing to ship M1s with less than the full set of CPU cores.

Also, it's a great bet that Apple has set prices such that the demand for 7-core chips is greater than the natural supply, and makes up for it by shipping some 8-core chips with a core disabled. In an ideal world they'd love for 7-core supply and demand to be exactly matched. But the supply is subject to variance, and it's better to set things up to make a shortage of "natural" 7-core chips the more likely event. If Apple skewed it the other way, the shortages wouldn't be pleasant since you can't make 8-core chips from 7-core.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

That was approximately my uneducated guess, thank you.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I’d use it on the 5K iMac work gave me because it has a loving HDD (not even a hybrid drive) and my MacBook that’s three years older is faster

You could plug in an external USB 3.0 SSD and use that as a boot drive. Minimal hassle and much faster.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have a 2012 MBP that showed up with a prohibitory symbol today, and it doesn’t respond to Command-R or Option when booting up. Is there a known reason why those of all things wouldn’t work? Considering this laptop is falling apart, tho, probably time to ditch it anyway.

Edit: found the problem - SSD cable had gotten loose and disconnected. Good to know for the future.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 20, 2020

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A little late but Apple offers me $970 for a $1899 laptop I bought back in June so welp :V. I think I am going to get a MacMini though; my Windows PC is getting long in the tooth anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

redeyes posted:

You could plug in an external USB 3.0 SSD and use that as a boot drive. Minimal hassle and much faster.

Wait, can this be done with a older (2011) imac?! The internal Hybrid is dieing ut I have a spare SSD