Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone get a GameStop bundle and successfully return or exchange your unwanted components? No one I know is interested in nba2k. My friend I bought the console for wants the rest of the bundle said she’d claim the whole shebang, but I don’t want to stick her with a game I know she won’t play.

IIRC, it's a YMMV thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Anybody tried remote play much? Never messed with it with my PS4. I've been doing it with the PS5 and it's nice except I have this intermittent stuttering issue. Every few minutes it'll drop frames like crazy (the audio stutters during this as well) for like 5 seconds and then go back to normal. Is this likely an internet issue or could there be some hardware settings, either on my PC or PS5 that I'm missing?

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Anybody tried remote play much? Never messed with it with my PS4. I've been doing it with the PS5 and it's nice except I have this intermittent stuttering issue. Every few minutes it'll drop frames like crazy (the audio stutters during this as well) for like 5 seconds and then go back to normal. Is this likely an internet issue or could there be some hardware settings, either on my PC or PS5 that I'm missing?

It works off an on for me depending on which device I'm using. If I'm on my phone it works perfectly fine (but oh my god the touchscreen controller is garbage). On my tablet (Samsung Tab A 10.1) it'll connect and then about 20 seconds later drop the connection completely so I have to start the process over again. On my computer it'll work fine but the connection isn't great so I'll get some lag here and there. I have basically the same lag issues with Steam Link on my phone/tablet so I figured it was just my internet being not great. I don't know what the deal with my tablet is, but it's kind of a garbo tablet to begin with so I'm not really surprised.

If there's some hardware settings I can tweak that anyone knows about though, that would be cool. It'd be nice to be able to game while my boyfriend is watching TV or something.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Astro's is a pretty cute little title, but I can't finish it because of how much I hate motion controls. They are just terrible everywhere and make a fun platformer really frustrating in areas.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

sad!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah the problem is that when I put the PS5 in the entrainment center I moved everything around so I have no idea what is what but I am 100% positive it’s not the same cable I was using before.

:sigh: the three pack from mono price is cheap enough though I guess I’ll just get that and make sure I’m using those for everything. Thanks gunes.

If it helps, it’s this boxy looking one. Picture from some article.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Jose Oquendo posted:

IIRC, it's a YMMV thing.

Better than a definite no. I’ll try my luck.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
I swapped to not go through my sound bar, into HDMI 1, and used the HDMI cable from the box and I now have 4k HDR... Thanks dudes

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Agrias120 posted:

It's absolutely real. You want an 18Gbps HDMI cable: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428

Warning to anyone looking at that cable, that's just an HDMI 2.0 cable NOT HDMI 2.1

If you want 4k/120hz (like if you just bought a new LG CX TV or something), you'll need an HDMI 2.1 cable like the following:
https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compatible-Netflix-Playstation-Samsung/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/

Those are rated for 48 Gbps and are HDMI 2.1 certified.

The monoprice equivalent would be this:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=31229

The cable with the PS5 of course works as well, these are just if you want another for whatever reason.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Warning to anyone looking at that cable, that's just an HDMI 2.0 cable NOT HDMI 2.1

If you want 4k/120hz (like if you just bought a new LG CX TV or something), you'll need an HDMI 2.1 cable like the following:
https://www.amazon.com/48Gbps-Compatible-Netflix-Playstation-Samsung/dp/B07S1CGQ9Z/

The cable with the PS5 of course works as well, these are just if you want another for whatever reason.

This needs to be in the OP.

It's wild that people are paying a shitzillion dollars for high end beep boops and running them through grandpa's ye olde fashioned hdmi which won't support 4k, let alone 4k HDR 120Hz etc, etc, etc.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

It's wild that people are paying a shitzillion dollars for high end beep boops and running them through grandpa's ye olde fashioned hdmi which won't support 4k, let alone 4k HDR 120Hz etc, etc, etc.

The beep boops need to be better about this. None of my HDMI cables have clear labels.

Maybe do the USB3.0 thing where (most) plugs are blue (the USB-As anyway)

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's really loving funny that we spent 20 years telling people "there's no difference between a $3 RCA cable and a $120 Monster cable" and now we're at "no, seriously, the $5 HDMI 2 versus the $20 HDMI 2.1 is literally the difference between 4K HDR and regular 2k"

Cable manufacturers had to have done this just to gently caress with us.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It's really loving funny that we spent 20 years telling people "there's no difference between a $3 RCA cable and a $120 Monster cable" and now we're at "no, seriously, the $5 HDMI 2 versus the $20 HDMI 2.1 is literally the difference between 4K HDR and regular 2k"

Cable manufacturers had to have done this just to gently caress with us.

Also good luck putting them side by side and telling the difference.

I had to trash a bunch and start fresh because on some cables there’s just no way to tell.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

It was pretty nice when you could just use any hdmi cable for anything and it just worked.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Okay so for the first 10 hours I had no crashes in Cyberpunk, now it's happened twice within 2 hours. Boooooo. The only difference is the TV...

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Akuma posted:

Okay so for the first 10 hours I had no crashes in Cyberpunk, now it's happened twice within 2 hours. Boooooo. The only difference is the TV...

And not the 1.05 patch that came out yesterday?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rinkles posted:

Maybe do the USB3.0 thing where (most) plugs are blue (the USB-As anyway)
Yep, a swash of color on the plug and maybe a version number [2.x Ready] to drive it home.

Then get crazy with coloring the actual connector metal for 3.x and above.

But noooooooooooo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

i threw it in the 2nd post

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

History Comes Inside! posted:

And not the 1.05 patch that came out yesterday?

I am still crashing every ~90 minutes, same across 1.01, 1.04 and 1.05. Up to 34 crashes so far!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I am still crashing every ~90 minutes, same across 1.01, 1.04 and 1.05. Up to 34 crashes so far!

Yeah I was referring to the fact that over that span of time it seems likely to have straddled the patch, so maybe it’s patch 1.05 killing Akuma’s game and not some mystery interaction with their TV.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I played a ton yesterday and crashed only 3 times (less than on average). But it was on a Pro.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Also going back to a PS4 from a 5 made me realize just how antiquated the console feels. Almost as bad as the difference between a PS3 and PS4.

Quickly saving just the last 15 or 30 seconds is a great QoL improvement.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

With every new console generation there's always someone who says "what's the difference, I can barely tell" and that person deserves a bonk on the head.

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Krime posted:

So I've got a LG B8 OLED... Can I not do HDR and 4k at the same time? It seems to be one or the other for me. Any insight?

Maybe I'm being dense...

I've got a B8 as well. The key feature we lack is HDMI 2.1 - we only have 2.0. My understanding is that we can do 4k60 with HDR, but not 4k120.

We also won't be able to do variable refresh rate once the PS5 supports it (though I've been reading there are hardware issues with VRR for a lot of the TVs and receivers that are supposed to support it anyway).

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Vietnom nom nom posted:

Edited my post, didn't mean to link the wrong one. :fail:

edit: For anyone who got a PS5 from Walmart early last week, the one I bought for my buddy shipped overnight. The email said it still wasn't due until 1/8, but when I checked the FedEx tracking number it is expected to arrive 12/22.

Agrias120 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 20, 2020

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I played Cyberbonk for three and a half hours, after the 1.05 patch. It didn’t crash once and plays soo much better.
Before it would’ve been half an hour nearly like clockwork.

La Noire did crash once tho earlier today :thunk:

ColdIronsBound
Nov 4, 2008
So how do I buy a headset that works on PS5 & Series X? Does this exist or are people expected to buy a headset per console

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

ColdIronsBound posted:

So how do I buy a headset that works on PS5 & Series X? Does this exist or are people expected to buy a headset per console

Most will work on both through their cable hooked up to the controller. You might miss out on some console specific features but you'll get 95% of the functionality. As long as they can hooked up through a wire with a 3.5 plug (even the wireless models) they can used for both consoles and PC.

Edit: A vast majority of headsets will say only one console but will work on both.

jabro fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 20, 2020

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

jabro posted:

Most will work on both through their cable hooked up to the controller. You might miss out on some console specific features but you'll get 95% of the functionality. As long as they can hooked up through a wire with a 3.5 plug (even the wireless models) they can used for both consoles and PC.

Edit: A vast majority of headsets will say only one console but will work on both.

Yep, I use my Sony WH-1000MX3s hooked up via 3.5 and it works nicely. You can use the noise canceling functionality as well.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

With every new console generation there's always someone who says "what's the difference, I can barely tell" and that person deserves a bonk on the head.

Me: I've been playing the hell out of Demon's Souls and it...

Friend: Oh, you mean "Loading Screen: The Game"

Me: Those days are over. There's no such thing as loading screens.

[He doesn't believe me so I show him the walkthrough video on YouTube and he immediately wants to buy a PS5]

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Some people are saying their Wal Mart PS5s have shipped. I ordered mine at like the 3:20 drop on the 15th and it's still processing.

If any of you guys ordered a WalMart Ps5 and received a confirmation email that it was shipping, could you sound off please? I am curious

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Firstborn posted:

Some people are saying their Wal Mart PS5s have shipped. I ordered mine at like the 3:20 drop on the 15th and it's still processing.

If any of you guys ordered a WalMart Ps5 and received a confirmation email that it was shipping, could you sound off please? I am curious

I ordered on the 17th, still processing. Would also like to know if anyone else’s ships.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

If you could remake make a sequel to one Sony game what would it be?

My answer, War of the Monsters. Full remake and a sequel

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

LionArcher posted:

If you could remake make a sequel to one Sony game what would it be?

My answer, War of the Monsters. Full remake and a sequel

TLOU2

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I love TLOU2 that we got and that's also my answer

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Does TLOU 2 play any differently on PS5, like frame rate? Is it worth playing again to go "ooh" or is it just the same

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I should have clarified. Not a dumb answer about a triple A game that had a story that made you grumpy because you’re stuck in constipated Judeo Christian thinking.

Like something from at least PS3 era and not already in great hands.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair in not sure how you can save last of us that also wouldn’t involve redoing the original to make it better

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Colonel Whitey posted:

I ordered on the 17th, still processing. Would also like to know if anyone else’s ships.

I ordered mine in the first Walmart wave on the 15th and it still shows the same 1/9 ship date with no updates.

smoobles posted:

Does TLOU 2 play any differently on PS5, like frame rate? Is it worth playing again to go "ooh" or is it just the same

I Asked in the TLOU2 thread this week and people said it runs the same on base PS4, which surprises me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

LionArcher posted:

I should have clarified. Not a dumb answer about a triple A game that had a story that made you grumpy because you’re stuck in constipated Judeo Christian thinking.

Like something from at least PS3 era and not already in great hands.

lol you're pretty dumb.