Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Virtue posted:

What are the chances food and wine runs next year? I’m half daydreaming half planning a trip.

by then the vast majority of people should be vaccinated and it should be safe to both go to theme parks and for this sort of thing to take place, unless there is a serious issue with the vaccines or there's a spin-off of this virus or a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

What do people here think of Earl of Sandwich? More than one person I Know think it's awesome, but I'm not quite getting that. I've had it in both Springs and Downtown Disney. It's great for being pretty cheap, but in terms of sandwiches it's about equal (or worse) to Quizno's.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's fine. It's not terribly expensive and takes Tables or AP discount, can't recall which.
I think back before Springs had better food options, it shined a little brighter

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We love Earl of Sandwich as our quick option at DS since we don't have it at home. We have Blaze at home

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah about 10 years ago it was one of the better options at Disney Springs but it's pretty low tier by now. They're also all over the country so there's certainly better chains out there at that point.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

This is all tracking with my opinion so thanks for upholding that! It was just a bug that popped up in my head. I've only seen them in touristy places like Disney and Vegas.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Speaking of old Downtown Disney restaurants...

https://twitter.com/orlandosentinel/status/1336302258628210701?s=21

I'm so happy they are coming back. They had the best chicken and I really missed them when they closed.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Breaking Bad universe leaking into ours

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

couldcareless posted:

Breaking Bad universe leaking into ours

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The Earl of Sandwich expansion turned them from one of my favorite stops on a Downtown Disney to a normal "Oh, that's nice" interstate rest area stop equivalent to Popeyes. The market demand for quality food has turned them from awesome to mainstream, where the Disney Springs store is now competing with a bunch of options that are a lot better quality-wise despite not being quite as fast.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Can I tell you all how mad I was last month when I walked into Cooke's of Dublin after having dreams of the Hog in a Box for over a year only to find they'd discontinued it

The fish and chips are still loving baller but HiaB should be in the dictionary under "umami."

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Welp, my wife talked me into not canceling our anniversary trip to WDW next month. Any general tips during the time of covid? We reserved our anniversary dinner time/restaurant. Is fast passes a thing? Am I going to be able to hit up rise of the resistance if I go straight there at 9? Well be at each park one day and staying at coronado springs.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

You need to do park reservations for each park you want to go to and you’ll have to get a boarding group for Rise on the morning of the day you plan to go to HS.

No Fastpass, no dining plans.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Gejimayu posted:

Welp, my wife talked me into not canceling our anniversary trip to WDW next month. Any general tips during the time of covid? We reserved our anniversary dinner time/restaurant. Is fast passes a thing? Am I going to be able to hit up rise of the resistance if I go straight there at 9? Well be at each park one day and staying at coronado springs.

Rise boarding passes drop at 7am and you can book them from your hotel room on Property, so you don't need to be at the park for that. If you miss that first drop, another one happens at 2pm that you do have to be in the park for.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

The second boarding group time is actually changing to 1 pm next week.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1xmBC3-TSw

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Yeah I'm 100% planning a trip.

edit: So uh I'll ask this here: How do I go about planning a trip there.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 20, 2020

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

There's no reason to until we're allowed back in the country. Like, you can look around and price stuff but I dunno if you can even book things with an American credit card at the moment.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Jose Oquendo posted:

Wait till the travel ban is lifted, then https://tdrexplorer.com/

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BlueBayou posted:

Wait till the travel ban is lifted, then https://tdrexplorer.com/

Perfect. I know I can't go now but I figured having resources handy would let me get a jump on planning.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Or wait until Epic Universe will maybe be completed in 2026

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
How is some of that gonna work? Like, it looks cool and interactive when it's just Miyamoto walking around and trying it out, but is there gonna be a line to try out the timing puzzle of bumping the POW block?
Stuff is cool in a vacuum, but I'm curious how it's gonna play out in a live environment

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

couldcareless posted:

How is some of that gonna work? Like, it looks cool and interactive when it's just Miyamoto walking around and trying it out, but is there gonna be a line to try out the timing puzzle of bumping the POW block?
Stuff is cool in a vacuum, but I'm curious how it's gonna play out in a live environment

That's really my biggest worry. There's gonna be a line to do all that stuff. Especially the part with the timing on the koopa shell. That and they're gonna have to do a ton of maintenance/replacing on those blocks.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The interactive wand stuff had lines, this will have lines too. Kinda ruins the magic of “wow what does that do?” when 12 people have just done it in front of you.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

My Japanese headquarters is literally 20 minutes away and I'm already planting the seeds now to get the office to take me next year, god willing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Jose Oquendo posted:

Avoid major holidays, including Golden Week in the first week of May, and weekdays unless you're willing to get Express Pass. When I went in mid-May on a weekday, I got there a little after noon, stayed until after the night parade, and did most of what I wanted to by riding Single Rider, but YMMV.

Here's some tips for Japan travel:
-Rent a SIM card or pocket WiFi so you can use your smartphone to navigate, research, and translate.
-Don't use money changers, save cash by using your bank card on 7-11 ATMs instead. (While you're there, pick up some cheap Japanese food and any toiletries you might have forgotten to pack. Japanese convenience stores are great!)
-Japan-guide.com is my go-to resource for trip planning. I especially recommend their suggested itineraries and their calculator for figuring out if reserving a Rail Pass will save you any money.
-There's a lot of options for accommodations in Japan, from Western chains to capsule hotels to traditional Japanese inns, but I think business chain hotels offer the best bang for your buck. The rooms are tiny compared to Western hotel rooms, but the decor is tasteful, the amenities are great, and the prices are very reasonable. I like Dormy Inn, but I think you can only really go wrong with APA hotels. They're fine to stay in, it's just that the owner publishes Japanese nationalist propaganda. :yikes:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
of course your travel planner told you it was okay to go, karen

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I find is incredibly hard to believe the 4 year old is positive and the rest of the family isn't at least on their way to a positive test at this point (unless they already had it)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I've seen about thirty posts like that and a million people telling them to go, it's fine, it's just the flu, etc.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

I find is incredibly hard to believe the 4 year old is positive and the rest of the family isn't at least on their way to a positive test at this point (unless they already had it)

same, 4 yo gonna come breathe directly into your mouth at least 3 times a week.

the immediate concerns for that lady should be being in orlando if and when a member of the family falls seriously ill and of course, spreading covid.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I've seen about thirty posts like that and a million people telling them to go, it's fine, it's just the flu, etc.

why are you consuming such an unhealthy amount of posts

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Coasterphreak posted:

of course your travel planner told you it was okay to go, karen

Shame on this travel planner. I never tell anybody whether they should or should not go. I am not taking on that kind of responsibilty.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Dren posted:

why are you consuming such an unhealthy amount of posts

because my endless concern for the general population needs to be shaking constantly

Braksgirl posted:

Shame on this travel planner. I never tell anybody whether they should or should not go. I am not taking on that kind of responsibilty.

I like you but you were literally advertising to try to get people to go during a pandemic so I dunno. That kinda feels like telling folks that they should go because there's good deals.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Dren posted:

The interactive wand stuff had lines, this will have lines too. Kinda ruins the magic of “wow what does that do?” when 12 people have just done it in front of you.

Yet every time I've gone to universal, a bazillion people are all doing the same spells nonstop through the storefronts. It's the actual doing it that I think people like.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

because my endless concern for the general population needs to be shaking constantly

I like you but you were literally advertising to try to get people to go during a pandemic so I dunno. That kinda feels like telling folks that they should go because there's good deals.

Again, as I said the first time, I don't tell people "You should go! It's totally fine!" I posted about the Disney discount here because I ALWAYS post here about Disney discounts. But if a client asks me directly "Should I go?" I always tell them that it's their choice and they need to weigh the risks for their situation. I really am not the villain you want me to be here.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I live in Orlando and I haven't been to the parks since September. The limited capacity/ no lines fun time is over. It doesn't feel good to be in the parks anymore.

Stay safe all.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Braksgirl posted:

Again, as I said the first time, I don't tell people "You should go! It's totally fine!" I posted about the Disney discount here because I ALWAYS post here about Disney discounts. But if a client asks me directly "Should I go?" I always tell them that it's their choice and they need to weigh the risks for their situation. I really am not the villain you want me to be here.

This is better than saying yes, but the correct answer is "No, of course not, we're in a pandemic that's killing 3k people per day"

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Jose Valasquez posted:

This is better than saying yes, but the correct answer is "No, of course not, we're in a pandemic that's killing 3k people per day"

Fair enough but you and I know that it's not going to make people not go.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Old Man Pants posted:

Yet every time I've gone to universal, a bazillion people are all doing the same spells nonstop through the storefronts. It's the actual doing it that I think people like.

yeah i agree. people absolutely will still do it but it won’t have the magic of discovery miyamoto was hinting at. like, even if you haven’t watched what the pirhana plant does on youtube you’re gonna see it before you get to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

idk if the American version will be bigger but that place looks like it would be shoulder to shoulder crowds all the time, it looks so small