Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The Psijic Teleport Spells mod is good and I also like the Soul Forge mod, which turns souls into a numeric thing that you can extract from gems at will and store in a central location. It even comes with its own spell effect that dumps souls right into the repository instead of requiring gems as an intermediate step. You just need the gems themselves for enchanting anymore with that mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Spoggerific posted:

I guess I'll just get used to navigating the menus with my keyboard. I play a lot of roguelikes so that doesn't seem like too much of a hurdle for me.

I'm looking to make a magic-based character, so what are some good magic and alchemy mods I could use? Right now I've got Mysticism, Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, and Undeath Remastered on my list. I'm also interested in some perk and/or leveling overhauls - last time I played I used SPERG, which is apparently still around, but does anyone have some other suggestions?

I'm also open to any suggestions people have for any kind of mod, really. I've never really done much experimenting. New quests and content, city overhauls, combat additions, I'd like to try out basically anything but graphics changes, which I don't really care about.

Here are my favorites for mage runs:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1469

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1090

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17004

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1976

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2068

When I’m not using SPERG, Ordinator is my perk engine of choice. Also, gently caress those Blades: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/365

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Inigo creator smartbluecat posted a video update yesterday, explaining that the mod is still in active development, but that he's experienced delays due to hardware issues (exploding PSU and back pain). He also offers some good tips on how to deal with followers freezing up or generally becoming unresponsive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYVa7fIZSeg

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Thanks for the suggestions. I threw them all in my modlist. I think I'll go with Ordinator over SPERG this time. The sheer number of perks is... intimidating, but it looks pretty cool.

Asking "help what mods should I use" isn't very conductive to conversation, and I'm sure this thread has seen plenty of people asking the same thing, so let me ask a bit more interesting of a question:

How do you guys find new and/or good mods to install? The trending tab on nexusmods has a decent amount of interesting stuff, but there's also a whole bunch of "let me put tits on this mudcrab" sexy mods, and a lot of it is just "clothing" so blocking the nudity and etc. tags doesn't remove it all. Should I just spend more time filtering through stuff on nexusmods, or are there other sites out there?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Your best bet if you're surfing the Nexus is to filter by upvotes or downloads and set the time to unrestricted, because then you're going to get the :airquote: best :airquote: mods on the Nexus in that category. That won't eliminate the titty mods, but will cut down on them significantly, especially when combined with the nudity filters.

As for where else to look, well, the OP in this thread has a mod list, but it's pretty out of date. The mods there should still be pretty good, if you can find SE versions, but they may not be the best choices any more.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Did Interesting NPCs ever end up jettisoning the incestuous couple living in Windhelm? I encountered that when I gave it a try years ago and have avoided the mod ever since.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

If you're using Mod Organizer, make sure you're editing ini files through that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spoggerific posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. I threw them all in my modlist. I think I'll go with Ordinator over SPERG this time. The sheer number of perks is... intimidating, but it looks pretty cool.
Look, with that last sentence, I know I sound like a broken record lately, but you want Vokriinator Black. Why settle for just one perk mod when you can have most of three?

(that said I think it removed the perk that lets you make a token that's a copy of an artifact's enchantment to put on other stuff and that's sad.)

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Look, with that last sentence, I know I sound like a broken record lately, but you want Vokriinator Black. Why settle for just one perk mod when you can have most of three?

(that said I think it removed the perk that lets you make a token that's a copy of an artifact's enchantment to put on other stuff and that's sad.)
Oh no, I had finally gotten my mods set up (granted, only 30 of them) and managed to get a test character in game, and now you're tempting me to go install a bunch more complicated crap.

Searching for "Vokriinator Black" on nexusmods gives me this mod, which I don't think is it? I found Vokriinator Choice Cuts in the required section of that first one, which looks like it might be what you're talking about.

What exactly does it do? Is it just a giant compilation of all the perks from SPERG, Ordinator, and a few other things? How would I ever have enough points to flesh out even part of one tree?

Commander Keene posted:

Your best bet if you're surfing the Nexus is to filter by upvotes or downloads and set the time to unrestricted, because then you're going to get the :airquote: best :airquote: mods on the Nexus in that category. That won't eliminate the titty mods, but will cut down on them significantly, especially when combined with the nudity filters.

As for where else to look, well, the OP in this thread has a mod list, but it's pretty out of date. The mods there should still be pretty good, if you can find SE versions, but they may not be the best choices any more.
Sorting by tag and vote/download totals is a good way to get tried and tested mods, but I was wondering if there was some way to find decent new stuff that hasn't had the time to accumulate downloads yet (if anyone is even making new Skyrim mods in TYOOL 2020). I based some of my current list of mods off of the OP, but it's not ideal for the reasons you gave.

Edit: I was running around in the wilderness for a little bit and remembered how annoying pressing E a million times while looking at flowers to gather everything is. Is there a mod that just lets me hold down a button and gather everything nearby without having to look at it, or maybe do so automatically?

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 20, 2020

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Last month I tested out using a Wabbajack modlist for the first time. It's essentially an automated installation of a pre-built modding setup. I used the Elysium modlist and I've been very happy with it.

Elysium is fairly extensive (my Elysium mod organizer 2 profile has over 900 mods (a decent chunk of which are compatibility patches)), so if you're looking for a more vanilla experience you'd probably want to pick another.

I don't think I'm ever going to go back to creating my own mod setups myself unless I absolutely have to, the automated install is just so... simple. I save so much mental energy by not having to do all this stuff myself.

PolarPear
Apr 4, 2010

Spoggerific posted:

Edit: I was running around in the wilderness for a little bit and remembered how annoying pressing E a million times while looking at flowers to gather everything is. Is there a mod that just lets me hold down a button and gather everything nearby without having to look at it, or maybe do so automatically?

Auto Harvest.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/17622

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Can Wabbajack download and install mods for a different game than the one listed? I tried to install a basic modlist for SSE onto a fresh install of SkyrimVR but it just said it didn't find a copy of SSE installed. There's only like two modlists for VR that I could see, and the one I really wanted is apparently outdated and/or broken at the moment. It's a bummer because I just found out about Wabbajack and it looks like the exact thing I'd hoped to see for Skyrim for ages, because mod hunting is such a chore.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Skyrim Special Edition and Skyrim VR are different games that each have their own versions of the Skyrim script extender. Pretty much any Skyrim Wabbajack modlist is likely to include their appropriate script extender in the install (in a special folder you need to empty into the game folder post-installation), which means that if you install a NON-VR modlist into Skyrim VR, it'd break. That's likely why they won't let you do it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Are there any easy to install overhauls these days? The last time I played Skyrim there were several third party programs and you had to fiddle to get everything to play nice and it was a pretty bad experience.

I’d like to play through with the nicest possible graphics and any necessary fixes but tbh I’m not really interested in it if I have to juggle a bunch of mods and 3rd party programs.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

LuckyCat posted:

Are there any easy to install overhauls these days? The last time I played Skyrim there were several third party programs and you had to fiddle to get everything to play nice and it was a pretty bad experience.

I’d like to play through with the nicest possible graphics and any necessary fixes but tbh I’m not really interested in it if I have to juggle a bunch of mods and 3rd party programs.

To be honest modding Skyrim is pretty much going to require third party programs for anything significant. But the Skyrim SE STEP Guide will at least give you a detailed step by step process that will end with a vanilla-like setup with all the necessary fixes and a major graphics overhaul. I usually consult it for my “base” before adding more.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Spoggerific posted:

Sorting by tag and vote/download totals is a good way to get tried and tested mods, but I was wondering if there was some way to find decent new stuff that hasn't had the time to accumulate downloads yet (if anyone is even making new Skyrim mods in TYOOL 2020). I based some of my current list of mods off of the OP, but it's not ideal for the reasons you gave.

I keep an eye on the Skyrim Mods Reddit for this, there's usually a fairly active thread going looking for "last played in 2018 or so, what's new" recommendations.

I know Skyrim Mods Reddit sounds like absolute hell but I don't actually post and honestly I'd say the community is relatively chill and helpful.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

LuckyCat posted:

As I mentioned above, a Wabbajack install would be the simplest, as almost everything is done already, including the installation and application of those third party programs.

I used Elysium, a huge overhaul that would have taken me weeks to install myself, rather than just a few hours of seeing Wabbajack downloading and installing everything for me. I've been having a fun time with it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I’ll look at the wabbajack!

I realized a few days ago I had never actually beaten Skyrim. My wife has covid and we’ll both be off work most of next week so I need something to do!

I thought about buying it on Switch so I could stay cozy while I play handheld but I also have a big beefy pc with Skyrim already purchased on Steam so it’s a no brained.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Spoggerific posted:

I found Vokriinator Choice Cuts in the required section of that first one, which looks like it might be what you're talking about.

What exactly does it do? Is it just a giant compilation of all the perks from SPERG, Ordinator, and a few other things? How would I ever have enough points to flesh out even part of one tree?
That's it, yeah. As for enough points, there's the Pickpocket 100 perk (from I think Ordinator) that lets you spend 50k gold for one perk point, various mods that let you trade dragon souls for perk points, but my preferred for that is the "perk points at 50-75-100" mod, which is listed under Ordinator's downloads and fully compatible - it still doesn't give you as many as you'd want, perhaps, but that's part of the fun!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You can also use Skyrim Skill Uncapper

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8889

To get more perks per level.

Here's an in depth explanation of what each thing does.

https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Skyrim_-Community-_Uncapper.

And yeah the "choice cuts" version of Vokriinator is the one with everything.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Okay I’m installing Skyrim: SE and it looks like:

1) I’ll need to install Wabbajack
2) Pay for the premium nexus acct so it will automate downloads?
3) install mod list of choice.

What is a good mod list that visually enhances the game and fixes things, but leaves it mostly vanilla?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I can't recommend any vanilla plus Wabbajack installs as I haven't tried any, though I'll say that Elysium is a more expansive version of the much more lightweight The Phoenix Flavour, so maybe you could check that one out I guess?

Oh and Nexus is fairly nice in that if you buy a 1 month membership from them, it won't automatically start billing you every month after that. One month means one month.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

LuckyCat posted:

Okay I’m installing Skyrim: SE and it looks like:

1) I’ll need to install Wabbajack
2) Pay for the premium nexus acct so it will automate downloads?
3) install mod list of choice.

What is a good mod list that visually enhances the game and fixes things, but leaves it mostly vanilla?

There's TVO which is just visual mods and city overhauls, but defaults to full frontal nudity, you can re-run the body replacers to pick options with underwear.

I haven't used it but Keizaal keeps thing mostly vanilla, it uses SimonMagus' overhauls for perks, magic, standing stones and races which are decent "vanilla+" overhaul mods.

Elysium uses the EnaiSiaion mods, which are a little beyond Vanilla, but it uses the more low-key versions and adds Legacy of the Dragonborn which is a massive artifact add-on but doesn't change the game up a ton. It does use an XP mod were you gain levels and perks by completing quests (skill gain is still from using skills)

Equanimity uses the SimonMagus mods and adds a bunch of quest mods plus Relics of Hyrule if you want some Zelda in your Skyrim, also uses the XP mod.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

There's TVO which is just visual mods and city overhauls, but defaults to full frontal nudity, you can re-run the body replacers to pick options with underwear.

I haven't used it but Keizaal keeps thing mostly vanilla, it uses SimonMagus' overhauls for perks, magic, standing stones and races which are decent "vanilla+" overhaul mods.

Elysium uses the EnaiSiaion mods, which are a little beyond Vanilla, but it uses the more low-key versions and adds Legacy of the Dragonborn which is a massive artifact add-on but doesn't change the game up a ton. It does use an XP mod were you gain levels and perks by completing quests (skill gain is still from using skills)

Equanimity uses the SimonMagus mods and adds a bunch of quest mods plus Relics of Hyrule if you want some Zelda in your Skyrim, also uses the XP mod.

TVO looks like what I'm after!

Is there no ultrawide monitor support?? Oof.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

it uses SimonMagus' overhauls for perks, magic, standing stones and races which are decent "vanilla+" overhaul mods.

How do people like these? I'm tempted to try out Mysticism but I'm not otherwise wanting to walk away from the familiar Kryptopyr/EnaiSiaion universe of overhauls without a good reason.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

docbeard posted:

How do people like these? I'm tempted to try out Mysticism but I'm not otherwise wanting to walk away from the familiar Kryptopyr/EnaiSiaion universe of overhauls without a good reason.

They aren't too bad. Really it's just mostly an improved version of vanilla. Adds unlock spells, so you could actually make a character that doesn't use lock picks. Illusion magic is still pretty boring, but it adds some utility, like a spell that makes enemies sometime miss in combat and silence spells. Restoration gets a bunch of poison spells so you can kill people with magic and not use destruction.

With the streamlined perk system they just give you a bunch of utility perks at the start (tempering magic items and zooming with the bow are the two biggest I can think of). The race and standing stone mods get rid of daily powers and stick to passive bonuses, which I like because I never remember to use daily powers.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I went to that link and it looks like the author has deleted it off the nexus and directed people towards another mod. I downloaded it and couldn't manage to get the settings to work to the point where it only harvested plants in the world, so I went digging and found something a bit more interesting - a mod that adds a spell that spawns little glowing orbs of light to go out and hunt down ingredients for you. The radius and speed of collection is based on your alchemy and alteration levels, and it costs magicka, so I think this makes for more interesting gameplay than just automatically teleporting nearby plants into your inventory. I was originally searching for "gather" and variants thereof, which is probably why I didn't find anything. Your link lead me to a solution I like more, so thanks!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
Does anyone know offhand what are common causes of that “snow on rock looks like shiny silver spray paint look?” It’s only bad in certain areas but when it’s bad it is strikingly bad.

e: Also I am rerolling, again, and I’m going with SPERG for the first time in a long time. I don’t even remember the last time I installed Skill Uncapper and I don’t know if I’ve done it right for MO2. I installed the DLLLoader mod manually as instructed in the real Skyrim folders. I then just installed the Skill Uncapper and SPERG mods normally via MO2. Did I do it right?

Lordshmee fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 23, 2020

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Wanted to post and say thanks for helping me get set up with Wabbajack and Total Visual Overhaul. Exactly what I was wanting to do. Vanilla, but with visual improvements.

Has anyone found a solid way to get ultrawide support? I have Google'd around and from that you can edit the ini with custom resolution (3440 x 1440 in my case) which for the most part works, but cuts off key pieces of the UI. For example, I have no way to status how much gold I have. Maybe there's a mod that fully fixes this?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lordshmee posted:

Does anyone know offhand what are common causes of that “snow on rock looks like shiny silver spray paint look?” It’s only bad in certain areas but when it’s bad it is strikingly bad.

e: Also I am rerolling, again, and I’m going with SPERG for the first time in a long time. I don’t even remember the last time I installed Skill Uncapper and I don’t know if I’ve done it right for MO2. I installed the DLLLoader mod manually as instructed in the real Skyrim folders. I then just installed the Skill Uncapper and SPERG mods normally via MO2. Did I do it right?

I had to fix the snow colours myself months ago, but I can’t remember exactly what I did or find the reddit/Nexus post that pointed me in the right direction.

For context, I used a combination of Majestic Mountains, Better Dynamic Snow (and the patches to make them work together), Cathedral Landscapes, and a snow texture mod I need to look up. The vague answer is there is some RGB value that you need to edit in xEdit that’s like SnowLandscapeColor or something that vanilla Skyrim likes to be weird grey for some reason and certain mods do the opposite and make rock snow blindingly white.

So it’s about editing it to find a balance. I’ll try looking through xEdit later today and see if I can find the values and be a little more helpful here.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lordshmee posted:

I remember there used to be an issue where the uncapper ini with SPERG didn't install to the right place and had to be moved so Uncapper would see it, but I have no idea if that's still the case. (I haven't used SPERG in forever).

Otherwise yeah, that should be right.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Lordshmee posted:

e: Also I am rerolling, again, and I’m going with SPERG for the first time in a long time.
...man, maybe I'm getting old, but somehow that name isn't as funny anymore these days as it seemed to be ten years ago.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Never been a fan of the name myself, to be honest :S

FlyingKipper
May 11, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Wanted to post and say thanks for helping me get set up with Wabbajack and Total Visual Overhaul. Exactly what I was wanting to do. Vanilla, but with visual improvements.

Has anyone found a solid way to get ultrawide support? I have Google'd around and from that you can edit the ini with custom resolution (3440 x 1440 in my case) which for the most part works, but cuts off key pieces of the UI. For example, I have no way to status how much gold I have. Maybe there's a mod that fully fixes this?

There's a mod on nexus that changes all of the necessary files to support ultrawide that I've used with success.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1778

FlyingKipper fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 25, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

so what's the simplest mod manager for SE? i've been playing it for a week or so now just using a few mods with the in-game tool, but i'm slowly getting fed up with the UI and skyui does not support that

and when i say simplest i mean like, what's the closest to the complete opposite of the nexus mod manager

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Amppelix posted:

so what's the simplest mod manager for SE? i've been playing it for a week or so now just using a few mods with the in-game tool, but i'm slowly getting fed up with the UI and skyui does not support that

and when i say simplest i mean like, what's the closest to the complete opposite of the nexus mod manager

Mod Organizer 2. I redid my entire mod loadout from the ground up earlier this year and after years of resisting it, I finally made the switch to MO2 after finally reaching my last straw with NMM myself and hucking it into the fire.

MO2 seems daunting at first, but this guide here as a part of the Phoenix Flavour mod slate goes over how to set it up from a first time use, how it runs, and what to expect from it. Just be aware that it is a one needy motherfucker, largely due to running everything out of a virtual Skyrim Data folder instead of the actual Data folder that's in steamapps/common/Skyrim Special Edition/Data. So all associated programs like Creation Kit, xEdit, ect. need to be run through MO2 in order to get them to recognize the stuff in the virtual folder.

The massive advantage to this is that unlike NMM, which just smashes everything into the real Data folder, nothing MO2 installs technically overwrites anything else. Meaning you can go into each individual mod install folder and check it in MO2 to see which files are winning the overwrite conflict if you have more than one mod altering the same models/textures/ect, and choose which ones you want to win the conflict by hiding the files you want overwritten.

It took me a few days to get up to speed on it, but I'll never go back to Nexus Mod Manager, nor ever think of installing that glorified piece of adware for the Nexus itself, Vortex.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

oh cool. i did the rigamarole and it's mostly been fine and painless but the only mod i cannot now get working is the one i actually wanted, skyui

should've expected that, tbh

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Amppelix posted:

oh cool. i did the rigamarole and it's mostly been fine and painless but the only mod i cannot now get working is the one i actually wanted, skyui

should've expected that, tbh

What problems are you having with SkyUI? It should be a fairly straightforward install. Do you have SKSE installed?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

please, skyui even has a giant "YOU DO NOT HAVE SKSE" popup if you try running it without that

it's just, you know. not modifying the menus. the MCM works, but every inventory menu pops up an error saying that they've been modified by something else (which is extremely not true) and remains vanilla

i'm currently, reluctantly, in the process of reinstalling the game to see if that doesn't have an effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Amppelix posted:

please, skyui even has a giant "YOU DO NOT HAVE SKSE" popup if you try running it without that

it's just, you know. not modifying the menus. the MCM works, but every inventory menu pops up an error saying that they've been modified by something else (which is extremely not true) and remains vanilla

i'm currently, reluctantly, in the process of reinstalling the game to see if that doesn't have an effect

Are you using a proper mod manager, or are you trying to use SkyrimSE's build in manager?