Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I crank my artifacts to +20 because my brain is extremely smooth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

facepalmolive posted:

I think he's saying 60/70 for carries too, though. Or rather, prioritize +16 artifacts on your carries before prioritizing 60/70. In general he is saying artifacts are more impactful than levels.

(And let's be honest, most of us aren't going above like +8 artifacts on our supports anyway. Enough ER to get us by, then the very bare minimum defensive stats to survive. Nobody's going to +16 on our supports, so I'm pretty sure he was referring to carries with that comment.)

Farming ascension materials isn't fun, though. Totally a personal preference thing, but I'd rather take another roll at the slot machine (even if it means getting %DEF Witch's Hat #493274038) over farming yet another tiny dribble of lightning triforces off that lightning cube thing.
Going +16 on supports before going +20 on your normal attacker is exactly what the video was about. But in general why would you not +16 (skip the flower if you want) a support Xiangling?

I'm at AR50 and pretty much everyone has +16s at this point and my most important artis (elemental cups and feathers on my biggest damage dealers) are +20 so it becomes moot pretty quickly.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 20, 2020

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

facepalmolive posted:

Farming ascension materials isn't fun, though. Totally a personal preference thing, but I'd rather take another roll at the slot machine (even if it means getting %DEF Witch's Hat #493274038) over farming yet another tiny dribble of lightning triforces off that lightning cube thing.

I definitely prefer ascension bosses to domains. The boss fights are fun af and involve a little skill too. For me domains are just nonsense with random bullshit mechanics that don't even apply to the rest of the game at all.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facepalmolive posted:

(..) Nobody's going to +16 on our supports... (...)

Can I interest you in my +20 artifacts on Sucrose?

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

No Wave posted:

Going +16 on supports before going +20 on your normal attacker is exactly what the video was about. But in general why would you not +16 (skip the flower if you want) a support Xiangling?

I'm at AR50 and pretty much everyone has +16s at this point and my most important artis (elemental cups and feathers on my biggest damage dealers) are +20 so it becomes moot pretty quickly.

I might have been fixating and taking the wrong message from the video, but I thought his main point was that artifacts > levels, including (and especially) on your carries. I personally definitely made the mistake of rushing 70/80 on my carry weeks before working on artifacts, which were sitting at +8 for weeks.

As for Xiangling, I guess the term 'support' has been overloaded, but she's not who I'm referring to by 'support' (as in 'pure supports' -- Bennett, Noblesse and VV triggers, etc.). She's more... elemental reaction setter-upper DPS (+ elemental burst DPS)? I don't know what the correct term should be, but their role and builds can be quite different from pure supports, enough so that there really ought to be a different term for them.

Yes, in the end given enough time it becomes moot, but it's more of a prioritization thing. This probably would've been a more useful video 2 months ago. I also have commitment issues and I like trying out special snowflake builds on the rest of my roster, so this sort of advice is just the type of thing I need.

Corla Plankun posted:

I definitely prefer ascension bosses to domains. The boss fights are fun af and involve a little skill too. For me domains are just nonsense with random bullshit mechanics that don't even apply to the rest of the game at all.

I'm the opposite. I think I might've overfarmed ascension materials back in the day, so I'm burnt out on bosses and I just kinda go through the motions now. With the exception of Oceanid, which is actually a mishmash of RNG and bullshit.

For artifact domains I duo with the SO. I actually think 2 is a great number for domains. It feels like they would be quite hard and unfun solo, whereas any more than 2 would be a horrid mess of spell effects. At two players, we still need to pay attention and coordinate, and if we're not playing well we still lose every so often. We're definitely better and more consistent at them now than when we started, and that feels rewarding. It feels like the right amount of challenge (while not too difficult to make farming tiring) with minimum amount of bullshit now that we've gotten them figured out.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Corla Plankun posted:

Extremely same. Even oceanid with its bullshit feels better than getting a crappy aura that lets you not press buttons.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

facepalmolive posted:

For artifact domains I duo with the SO.

My brain is so used to all the meta discussion acronyms that I almost googled "genshin impact SO" to figure out what that one meant. 🤦

Running domains with a partner does sound pretty great.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I find that domains with randos is pretty fun, and having to work out weirdo strategies on the fly with whatever pubbies bring is interesting.

I've mostly just been farming stuff to get Ganyu to 80 immediately lately. Getting a bit tired of cryovine but I'm nearly done with it anyway.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Ascension mat bosses also drop artifacts (obviously not nearly as efficiently per resin) and the guaranteed material, so they can be nice because you’re sure to get something you eventually want, and also some artifact XP.

That said, I usually do a couple of different things with the daily resin, it’s more interesting and varied if you don’t care about max number/min time, which I generally don’t.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i figure it's easier for me to coordinate all my poo poo when it comes to VV and bursts etc, and my domain clears are already a solid ~2 minutes so there's no point in co-op

wrt the video, i just took it to mean levels past 60 are on the table but you should consider it along the same lines as pushing artifacts to +20 and do it after you have your teams set up with +16, capped weapon, and decent talents. but you also have book goals that will result in pushing one of your characters to 80 (and maxing artifacts) and that may as well be your carry

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
^ this is a more reasonable and correct take, and much more well-stated than anything I came up with!

I get that artifact domains are frustrating because they don't let you press buttons. I would've much preferred gimmicks that *encourage* you to do something else, rather than punish you for playing the way you normally play (and in a more interesting way than '75% increased geo dmg').

That said, the crimson witch domain forced me to cobble together a minimally viable Kaeya and now I'm stubbornly trying very hard to make him work. I initially tried to build phys on him with Rancour, but he's probably better as an ult-focused burst DPS guy. I'm enjoying this off-meta experiment and I'm hoping to learn a thing or two in the process.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

My plan is pretty much carries to 80, supports to A4.

Unless the artifact I have makes people go "whoa, holy poo poo!" I'm leaving it at +16.

Bring all the weapons you can to at least 80. The ATK and Secondary are good. 80-90 is fine, but you're getting diminishing returns you could be pumping into another weapon to 80 for a different carry.

It doesn't feel like there's much content in the game right now that can't be done with 80 carries and 60 support. The 80-> 90 push is so resource intense that I think you could get a whole rear end character to 60 for slightly less books than it takes to go from 80 to 90.

shimmy shimmy
Nov 13, 2020

Saxophone posted:

My plan is pretty much carries to 80, supports to A4.

Unless the artifact I have makes people go "whoa, holy poo poo!" I'm leaving it at +16.

Bring all the weapons you can to at least 80. The ATK and Secondary are good. 80-90 is fine, but you're getting diminishing returns you could be pumping into another weapon to 80 for a different carry.

It doesn't feel like there's much content in the game right now that can't be done with 80 carries and 60 support. The 80-> 90 push is so resource intense that I think you could get a whole rear end character to 60 for slightly less books than it takes to go from 80 to 90.

80 to 90 is 3.4m XP, which is sightly more than getting a character from 1 to 70. It's pretty rough.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Saxophone posted:

Yup. To 70, actually. 1 to 70 is about 165 purple books. 80 to 90 is about 170.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Leveling up everything on your main dps is pretty easy if they are a claymore, sword, or spear user since you get plenty of gladiator pieces from world bosses like someone just said. And you should have more than enough exp books to get them to 80.

Artifacts are definitely the best thing to level since they seem to be the biggest power increase for the investment. Plus you can swap them around and hand older ones down to other characters. Its a good idea to prioritize getting some decent 4 star stuff to level 8 for all your supports first and foremost. Then getting them to 60 if they have a really good passive like sucrose.

That being said, I just hit AR 45 and haven't spent too much time grinding artifact domains. Just enough for 4 pieces of VV for sucrose and some noblesse stuff for Bennett. Currently having a hell of a time trying to get some crimson witch pieces for Klee since my main dps is razor and quickly dies when overload procs and klee is kind of useless in that dungeon. My bennett, diona, and XQ supports are carrying me hard even if they are all level 60 and have meh weapons.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

my XQ's hydro cup is my only 20 cup :colbert:

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

The fact that you can recoup most of the XP investment in an artifact is also relevant IMO, it's a big power spike and even if you eventually replace a +20 5-star, you can immediately burn it into like +16/+17 on the new one, and you got the power boost in the mean time.

It's interesting and potentially useful to know about what creates the biggest power spikes, of course, but depending on what you enjoy you might very easily get more value of doing a thing now, even if it isn't the most efficient thing extended out to an indefinite time frame. Especially when you think about how long it takes to do stuff etc; I have a geo-goblet for my Ning that has medium sub-stats and isn't on-set, but I still might get it to +20 because I can recoup if I want and Ning spends the vast majority of my play time active, so a damage boost on her is both satisfying and saves time beating up random encounters, in domains, etc.

Of course I still wouldn't get it up to +20 before getting all of her vaguely useful artifacts up to +16.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Corla Plankun (From the last thread) posted:

How flexible is this game w/r/t character choice? Barbara doesn't seem like a "traditional" dps choice but I love everything about the character and I was thinking about pouring most of my resources into her once I got to AR 30+. Will this make the game slightly harder for me or nigh impossible?

I never ended up trying this seriously but I just got a bounty with water vulnerability so I lived the dream for one glorious fight!

I kitted Babs out with as much atk and +hydro as I could and it was fun as hell.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Soothing Vapors posted:

Yup. To 70, actually. 1 to 70 is about 165 purple books. 80 to 90 is about 170.

Ah, yeah. It's definitely way more helpful to have a bunch of 60s than just a couple 80s. I'd imagine the only place that isn't true is abyss, but if you're pushing that seriously you've probably got a handle on things and will be smartly allocating resources anyway.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I learned from this thread that Domains are actually fine if you do it in co-op, and it generally takes no time to find a decent group. I still recommend taking a defense potion for whatever element you'll deal with, though.

I still run bosses if I'm short on time, though. It seems to me like the stat boost you get from the ascension at 80 is more useful than the extra strength you'd get from getting to level 90 with your carry. So uh my hot take is ascend your carry at 80 and then use your XP materials to level your supports so they can take a bit more of a beating if they get caught by an attack. Or level your B team. But the investment to go from 80-90 is so huge that you can probably get two or three other people to sixty.

I may be biased because I'm starting to reach friendship 10 with my main team and am wanting to try out some new folks since I have an unused Xinyan, Zhongli, Beidou, and Razor. So many characters and so few xp books.

Pope Urbane II
Nov 25, 2012
I'm constantly surprised people seem to have so much trouble soloing domains. Is this a strict F2P thing? I've bought BP and welkin consistently since the Venti banner and I've only run domains co-op twice (I know because I need to do it to get the achievement still). I'm not particularly min/maxed, and domains haven't felt like a difficulty spike.

What is it specifically that's proving difficult?

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Pope Urbane II posted:

I'm constantly surprised people seem to have so much trouble soloing domains. Is this a strict F2P thing? I've bought BP and welkin consistently since the Venti banner and I've only run domains co-op twice (I know because I need to do it to get the achievement still). I'm not particularly min/maxed, and domains haven't felt like a difficulty spike.

I can generally solo domains but they are certainly the hardest things I regularly do. The levels are generally higher than the world, the enemy compositions are harder, and the special rules range from annoying to really annoying. Not being able to get your Q's nearly as often is certainly going to throw a wrench into strategies and a lot of domains mess with energy, and a lot of them also have just a lot more going on visually and/or effects that take a little bit to learn to be on the lookout for. I'm confident most people could learn to solo them, but I'm not shocked that with co-op so easily available, people prefer it when possible.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Pope Urbane II posted:

I find them much harder than anything else (I don't know about deep abyss because I've not gone there). Overworld in general is easy and the overworld bosses have really predictable attack patterns.

For domains:
1) Leyline disorder means I often can't bring my A team
2) Enemies often do a huge amount of damage. It's not unusual for everything to be going fine then some rear end in a top hat stunlocks me while chunking off 10k HP
3) Enemies have new "gently caress you" moves that they don't use in the overworld. eg Ice Abyss Mage has some fog effect that does huge AoE damage and it can be hard to notice it starting in the huge clutter of effects going off. And Cicin Mage has the "levitate and kill you move". They don't always use them and whether they do or not adds a huge load of variance
4) Enemies have soo.... much... hp

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

Also if I do them co-op I don't generally need to eat food whereas I often do if I'm doing them single player, and saving the food obviously has some value.

Plus the Discord people are nice and it's easy to coordinate so like, eh.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I've only recently been able to clear the level 90 domains solo, and that's only because I've been able to get the artifacts I want. Before that, I was stuck in a loop where I needed thundering fury artifacts for Keqing, but to do that domain I needed to get crimson witch artifacts for Xiangling, and to get THOSE artifacts I needed to get nobliesse oblige artifacts for Tartaglia etc etc

Or I could do co-op with minimal fuss using my suboptimal characters and gear set to get out of having to interact with that loop entirely

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The other thing I'll say is, I find it fun to fight through a domain that's hard to solo the first time, and maybe again every day or two. But if I'm going to camp something into the ground, I'm not as interested in a slugfest I limp out of by using some resources, which some of the domains can be depending on who you have leveled/geared.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I think the general idea to not be in that loop is that you are supposed to level up Glads from 30+ and then swap to the domain stuff at 40/45. 2pc glads is just a generic rear end anyone can use thing. But you are right just do coop if you want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Some domains literally force you to switch DPS carries, because you can't win at all with the rulesets.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
maining geo, all the domains are pretty much the same since nothing punishes you for throwing rocks. just gotta swap in 1-2 different people for shield breaking if needed

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

YES bread posted:

maining geo, all the domains are pretty much the same since nothing punishes you for throwing rocks. just gotta swap in 1-2 different people for shield breaking if needed

Yeah this is one big reason I swapped from Keqing to Ning as my main carry. Sure she's not absurd much of anywhere, but she's also perfectly respectable in most situations and that's a big deal.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
god sometimes this game's jank is too much

i rage quit with alt+f4 after getting trapped t-posing in midair in the middle of a domain. after i died, my next character respawned... trapped t-posing in midair

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

kater posted:

I think the general idea to not be in that loop is that you are supposed to level up Glads from 30+ and then swap to the domain stuff at 40/45. 2pc glads is just a generic rear end anyone can use thing. But you are right just do coop if you want.

This is what I did more or less and I had no issues with any domain at any point. My mona and fish have the same arties they had ar 35, berskerker + gladiator mix and they still perform well at ar 50. Most of my resin pre ar 45 went to world and weekly bosses, the rest went to upgrading damage talents and weapons. I don't think I did more than 15 laylines in total, but if I didn't buy battle pass I would have to.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Pope Urbane II posted:

It might be a F2P thing, but essentially, for a given player, resources are tight so not everyone is leveled up and they don't have certain characters that would make the domains easier. All F2P players are guaranteed the Traveler, Amber, Lisa, and Kaeya. I would like to see someone solo alll the max level artifact domains with these characters with non-artifact domain artifacts.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does another 60 day battle pass start as soon as the current one ends in ~10’hours or so?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does another 60 day battle pass start as soon as the current one ends in ~10’hours or so?

Yep! I believe it's 40 days though.

AParadox
Jan 7, 2012

Flair posted:

It might be a F2P thing, but essentially, for a given player, resources are tight so not everyone is leveled up and they don't have certain characters that would make the domains easier. All F2P players are guaranteed the Traveler, Amber, Lisa, and Kaeya. I would like to see someone solo alll the max level artifact domains with these characters with non-artifact domain artifacts.

All f2p have guaranteed access to xiangling and barbara and most should have fischl and noele. Fischl and xiangling can carry most domains vulnerable to their element and if not, switch to a strong phys build using easily accessible weapons(crescent pike and slingshot). Barbara can deal with pyro shields when they come up heal up the team.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Pope Urbane II posted:

They aren't hard they are just annoying AF.

Doing them CooP is quicker (for the most part) and just easier.

Its kinda fun having 4 characters running around blowing poo poo up vs your self trying to dodge all the bullshit.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Ultiville posted:

I can generally solo domains but they are certainly the hardest things I regularly do. The levels are generally higher than the world, the enemy compositions are harder, and the special rules range from annoying to really annoying. Not being able to get your Q's nearly as often is certainly going to throw a wrench into strategies and a lot of domains mess with energy, and a lot of them also have just a lot more going on visually and/or effects that take a little bit to learn to be on the lookout for. I'm confident most people could learn to solo them, but I'm not shocked that with co-op so easily available, people prefer it when possible.

I think folks might be forgetting that the game has gotten a ton of press recently and has folks who are just joining up. I've only played a few weeks and don't even have a 5* character yet for context.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kater posted:

yeah, this is how i did it and what i assume mihoyo's intent is. you aren't touching artifact domains until AR40 by which point you have tons of artifacts from shrine chests, early abyss clears, and all the world/weekly bosses you've been clearing. Glad/Instructor/Exile are all good sets and Zerk has a nice 2pc you can stack with Glad if you don't have/need the 4pc. there are some issues like AR40 Noblesse not playing nicely with Barbara but even without rolling you've got strong phys options like Xiangling/Kaeya or ignoring element entirely with Noelle/GeoMC teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

dogsicle posted:

yeah, this is how i did it and what i assume mihoyo's intent is. you aren't touching artifact domains until AR40 by which point you have tons of artifacts from shrine chests, early abyss clears, and all the world/weekly bosses you've been clearing. Glad/Instructor/Exile are all good sets and Zerk has a nice 2pc you can stack with Glad if you don't have/need the 4pc. there are some issues like AR40 Noblesse not playing nicely with Barbara but even without rolling you've got strong phys options like Xiangling/Kaeya or ignoring element entirely with Noelle/GeoMC teams.

OTOH if you don't do online research you're not necessarily going to figure any of this out, doubly so because the book quests are some of the better structure leveling up and they want you to do artifact domains a few times sub-30.